• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox Sports 1 to do sabermetric-centric simulcast of NLCS Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/discussing-the-nlcs-powered-by-jabo-with-rob-neyer/

Tomorrow night, Fox Sports 1 is going full nerd. While their mothership is showing the traditional broadcast of the game, FS1 is going to have a simulcast of the game action, but instead of the traditional play-by-play and color commentary audio, the crew from Just A Bit Outside — C.J. Nitkowski, Gabe Kapler, and Rob Neyer — will be offering their insights while the game occurs. They’ve also wrangled Bud Black into joining them, and the whole thing will be hosted by Kevin Burkhardt.

Dave: So, what exactly is this thing you guys are doing on Saturday night, and how can people watch it and the game at the same time?

Rob: That’s exactly what they can do! At every moment, anyone watching FS1 will see the same game they would see on Fox. Often it’ll be a split-screen, with the game in one screen and our panel in the other. At key moments, we’ll switch the game action to full-screen and you’ll hear us doing our thing. And occasionally during a break in the action, you might see just us.

Dave: This is like color commentary on steroids, then? Wait, maybe that isn’t the best metaphor. But I gather this broadcast will focus more on the commentary side of things and less on the play by play of a traditional broadcast booth?

Rob: Very little play-by-play, unless we’re in the middle of a discussion, or there’s a lull, and Kevin Burkhardt pulls us back into the game for a little context.

Dave: What are some fun things that you expect to be able to do on Saturday night that fans aren’t used to getting in a traditional broadcast? Are you going to actually going to say the words “linear weights” on television?

Rob: I’ll be shocked if linear weights doesn’t come up at some point, at least in passing. Essentially, we’ll be talking about all the things that we — and by we, I mean you and I — talk about when we get together: defense and the vagaries of measuring it, pitch-framing, game theory, wOBA … You know, all the good stuff. But it won’t be just the sabermetrics. We’ve got a big studio, a bunch of cameras, and two tremendously smart and experienced ex-players in Gabe Kapler and C.J. Nitkowski, who can walk away from the desk anytime they like and give us all lessons in how the game’s really played. Oh, and we’ve also got Bud Black! You wanna know what it’s like to manage against Bruce Bochy? I’ll bet Bud Black will tell us.

Dave: How much is the balance going to lean towards appealing to people who read FanGraphs versus retaining mainstream appeal for casual fans who might just be flipping through the channels? If my wife watched the broadcast with me, would she enjoy the simulcast, or is this something we should watch alone in our mother’s basements?

Rob: Honestly, I think any baseball fan who’s not utterly hostile toward sabermetrics will enjoy this broadcast. We’ll be explaining everything we talk about, but I think briefly enough that neither you nor Amy will be bored. Also, there’s this: Gabe and C.J. are both wildly engaging. Just great people to be around, and I think if you’re watching you’ll feel like you’re just in the middle of a great conversation about baseball, not to mention the occasional moments when those guys step away from our desk and demonstrate pitch-framing or reading a left-handed pitcher or whatever. We’ve done a few hours of rehearsals, and my only regret is that I can’t just hang out at home and watch these guys do their thing. Because they’re really, really good at it. Plus Kevin Burkhardt is one of the best studio hosts I’ve ever seen.

An interesting experiment at the very least. Statheads rejoice!

terrisus

This means WAR

qFc6udp.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
ESPN kind of did this when they did a simulcast of the NCAA football championship game and had a bunch of current coaches/former players involved. It was, by far, the best way to watch the game. I wish they'd do it more often.

I like the general idea but not sure why it has to be split screen. Show the game and have the sabr-analysts talk over it. Seeing them talk doesn't really add much.

XiaNaphryz

I like the general idea but not sure why it has to be split screen. Show the game and have the sabr-analysts talk over it. Seeing them talk doesn't really add much.

I'm guessing they'll want to put up their own charts/graphs/graphics, but don't want to necessarily overlay on top of the game broadcast.

Also, they should have tried to get Brad Pitt as part of this for lulz.

Yeah, I'd prefer full screen with the analysts talking over it, but I'll be interested to see how this works out. It should be a lot better than the main broadcast.

terrisus

I'm guessing they'll want to put up their own charts/graphs/graphics, but don't want to necessarily overlay on top of the game broadcast.

Yeah, I'm sure there will be a bunch of charts and graphs and figures and such. As there should be.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
OOoo cool. It will probably suck and have shitty analysis but at least they are trying.

The alternative is Joe Buck and Harold Reynolds.
Reynolds is terrible but I don't get the Joe Buck hate. Everybody thinks national sports announcers are biased so the "Cards homer" part doesn't fly at all. Cards fans think he's trying so hard not to sound biased for the Cards that he's anti-Cards on these broadcasts lol.

Jon Miller audio is awesome but I'm not a fan of the listening to the radio and watching on TV at the same time since there's usually a delay for the TV.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Reynolds is terrible but I don't get the Joe Buck hate. Everybody thinks national sports announcers are biased so the "Cards homer" part doesn't fly at all. Cards fans think he's trying so hard not to sound biased for the Cards that he's anti-Cards on these broadcasts lol.

Jon Miller audio is awesome but I'm not a fan of the listening to the radio and watching on TV at the same time since there's usually a delay for the TV.
Joe Buck is just boring.

I like this and will probably watch if the Orioles don't lose earlier in the day and destroy my baseball emotions.

That said, what I would really like in terms of simulcasts would be if we could watch our local announcers during the postseason. Why do I have to watch third-party broadcasters either repeat stuff that I already know about the team I've been following all year or entertain me with public interest stories about how much they love peppermint ice cream? Give me my Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer (no Hunter/Bordick thx). These guys are some of the best in the business, and they know what general information about the team fans don't need to hear again and again.

terrisus

So is every national sportcaster outside of Gus Johnson. Buck is the one who seems to get criticized for it though.

Because he's the one people are forced to deal with the most.
(For Baseball. I have no idea about other sports, don't care about them)

If there were no exclusive rights for any games, and people could choose their broadcasters/stations, this wouldn't be an issue.

You can*
Local radio announcers

Haha yeah I know. You got me on a technicality.

Edit: Which reminds me, last year MLB.tv had a function to sync the TV broadcast with the radio one, which I always used for the Jim Hunter TV broadcasts (sorry Jim, you're just so boring like the neighbor you get stuck talkign to about lawnmowers for an hour). I couldn't find it this year, so I think it's gone? Not that it would help me in the postseason since I'm pretty sure MLB.tv is blacked out in America for the postseason.

Stupidly excited for this as well as the fact that I don't have to listen to Joe Buck drone on and on during the game.

As much as I'd have prefered to see this on CSN Bay Area, the FS1 broadcast will be quite enjoyable.

XiaNaphryz

I realize it's highly unlikely, but it would be amusing if this had higher ratings than the main broadcast.

terrisus

Because his employer is undermining his particular brand of play-by-play announcing by diverting peoples attention to something that is new and hip.

Hey, he should actually work on being a good announcer, as opposed to getting by just because he has a contract for a company who has a contract to broadcast the games.
And he doesn't have the excuse of being saddled with Tim McCarver anymore either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom