• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Miller (Dark Knight Returns, Sin City) Cancelled from Comic Convention

SafeOrAlone

Banned

Frank Miller being cancelled from comic convention appearance, due to "Thought Bubble" being upset with his past work, from over a decade ago, "Holy Terror".

A few thoughts:

1. I love Frank Miller's work
2. He has, to some degree, expressed regret for his work on "Holy Terror"
3. The work "Holy Terror" has been deemed Islamophobic and offensive by many. I haven't read it, myself.

What say you?

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I have read Holy Terror (you can tell I'm a big Frank Miller fan because my GAF name is a combination of his name and my strange obsession with DC comics Funko Pops) and it's not that great, to be honest. Very much weaker than his earlier stuff.

But fuck me, he doesn't deserve to be cancelled for it. It was written in a very different time, in the middle of the war on terror, and right after 9/11.

INC

So I've never read a comic, but love the tone of Sin City, is there like a hard back version of his batman work?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
So I've never read a comic, but love the tone of Sin City, is there like a hard back version of his batman work?
Definitely. You can find multiple versions of "Dark Knight Returns" or "Batman: Year One" at most comic shops and websites.
Those are his most recommended works. Dark Knight Returns takes place when he is old and Batman: Year One is an origin story. I prefer DKR, but both are great entry points.

This is a pretty cool set for "Dark Knight Returns" - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401270131/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

INC

Definitely. You can find multiple versions of "Dark Knight Returns" or "Batman: Year One" at most comic shops and websites.
Those are his most recommended works. Dark Knight Returns takes place when he is old and Batman: Year One is an origin story. I prefer DKR, but both are great entry points.

This is a pretty cool set for "Dark Knight Returns" - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1401270131/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Found the pdf, thats even better

Pilgrimzero

He's made other remarks about Islam later, which probably stem from his conservative libertarian background.

And lets face it, man hasn't made anything worth a shit since the 90s. And really his golden age was the 80s.

Last edited:

oagboghi2

I have read Holy Terror (you can tell I'm a big Frank Miller fan because my GAF name is a combination of his name and my strange obsession with DC comics Funko Pops) and it's not that great, to be honest. Very much weaker than his earlier stuff.

But fuck me, he doesn't deserve to be cancelled for it. It was written in a very different time, in the middle of the war on terror, and right after 9/11.
It's easily the worst book he has ever made.

but it's old as hell and a product of its time. People still crying about it is petty as fuck

FunkMiller

Gold Member

TDKR still arguably the greatest graphic novel ever written, along with Watchmen. It's been dragged through the mud recently by Zack 'I literally don't understand Batman one little bit' Snyder, but still remains an incredible piece of work.

oagboghi2

He's made other remarks about Islam later, which probably stem from his conservative libertarian background.

And lets face it, man hasn't made anything worth a shit since the 90s. And really his golden age was the 80s.
He has barely made anything since the 90's, but his portfolio is still better than 90% of comic writers out there.

TDKR still arguably the greatest graphic novel ever written, along with Watchmen. It's been dragged through the mud recently by Zack 'I literally don't understand Batman one little bit' Snyder, but still remains an incredible piece of work.

Snyders batman is the only film batman we have seen that is even slightly comparable to Millers

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It's still such a great piece of work. No one pieces together inner-monologue like Frank Miller. Just that very first page of DKR, where Bruce describes wrestling for control of the racecar, is executed in the most badass way.

"I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense. I switch to manual - but the computer crosses its own circuits and refuses to let go. I coax it. It shoves hot needles in my face and tries to make me blind. I'm in charge now and I like it. Then the front end lurches all wrong. I know what's coming. I've got just under two seconds to shut this mess down and forfeit the race. The engine, angry, argues the point with me. The finish line is close it roars. Too close. The left front tire decides to turn all on its own. I laugh at it and jerk the steering wheel to the right. The nose digs up a chunk of macadam. I look up at it - then straight into the eyes of the sun. This would be a good death... but not good enough."

And that's without the pictures!

Artwork for Holy Terror was good but oh my god what WAS he thinking. He's regretted and lamented that mind set but Thought Bubble is a progressive ghetto full of dudes who wear make up/nail polish and try to out they/them each other so take that as you will.

Last edited:

YCoCg

And remember kids, it doesn't matter if you've grown as a person and apologised for things you've done, you'll still be cancelled by these people for simply doing it in the first place and now they'll demand an apology you've already gave.

ManaByte

Gold Member
And remember kids, it doesn't matter if you've grown as a person and apologised for things you've done, you'll still be cancelled by these people for simply doing it in the first place and now they'll demand an apology you've already gave.
Eventually even them will fail their purity tests.

BigBooper

Not unexpected behavior from the Twitterites, and of course this being an event in England. England has never failed to unimpress regarding these issues in the past few years. Never read that comic before, but after looking it up I'd be willing to apologize for it too. Looks awful.

It's always a shame when the psychic vampires win. Maybe Frank should write a novel about Batman fighting literal psychic vampires. That could be fun.

Last edited:
What say you?

Another reason why comics suck right now.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's still such a great piece of work. No one pieces together inner-monologue like Frank Miller. Just that very first page of DKR, where Bruce describes wrestling for control of the racecar, is executed in the most badass way.

"I've got the home stretch all to myself when the readings stop making sense. I switch to manual - but the computer crosses its own circuits and refuses to let go. I coax it. It shoves hot needles in my face and tries to make me blind. I'm in charge now and I like it. Then the front end lurches all wrong. I know what's coming. I've got just under two seconds to shut this mess down and forfeit the race. The engine, angry, argues the point with me. The finish line is close it roars. Too close. The left front tire decides to turn all on its own. I laugh at it and jerk the steering wheel to the right. The nose digs up a chunk of macadam. I look up at it - then straight into the eyes of the sun. This would be a good death... but not good enough."

And that's without the pictures!

"You don't get it, son. This isn't a mudhole. It's an operating table. And I'm the surgeon."

Still quite possibly the most bad ass (and smart) line uttered by any fictional character in history - and absolutely perfect for Batman.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He wrote Robocop 3 cancel him.

Canceling people is dumb and the weak kneed masses that can’t handle diversity of thought are the issue.

Wasn't it released a decade after 9/11? I'm not sure when the arbitrary cut off for "it was a product of its time" is, but it's not like Holy Terror was released right after 9/11. Not that it matters. It could've been published the day of, the canceling was inevitable at some point.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
He should of drawn a picture of Mohamed in his comic and have Batman call the victory the “midnight ride”. Then he would be up there with salmund rushdi

sol_bad

IMO I think the art in Holy Terror is terrible, like his skills regressed. It's really hard to tell what is happening in some of the panels. And the dialogue, geez. Second half is over the top and funny as fuck if you ask me.

Pretty dumb that he is banned because of a few whiny people.

Atrus

Gold Member
Can someone point to what in “Holy Terror” people are objecting to? I haven’t read it myself and descriptions all point to some propagandistic portrayals of Al Qaeda terrorists as villains.

sol_bad

Can someone point to what in “Holy Terror” people are objecting to? I haven’t read it myself and descriptions all point to some propagandistic portrayals of Al Qaeda terrorists as villains.

It's terrorists doing terrorist things but there are random images of Muslims who don't "look" like terrorists, just normal every day people. I'm assuming it's that.

Clearly terrorists.
2b8c26O.jpg

Weird random images of other Muslims which you could say is generalising.
LHOtax4.jpg

Book isn't offensive to me, just terrible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom