• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

It plays like shit and it looks like shit, a solid 4/10 that has an interesting concept behind it.

Its the most fun I've had online possibly ever. Not an online gamer at all but I totally love this. Well worth the money I spent kickstarting it, solid 9/10

Spman2099

Game is pretty dead on PS4, I can't find games and when I do it's full of trolls and dickheads. I can't believe I paid for this garbage.

It is very far from dead. I have played it pretty regularly since launch. What you are encountering is the, still lacking, matchmaking. You should be able to find a match in around five minutes or so nonetheless.

As for the trolls and dickheads comment... welcome to online gaming.

bitbydeath

Game is pretty dead on PS4, I can't find games and when I do it's full of trolls and dickheads. I can't believe I paid for this garbage.

That's a shame, possibly your region is quieter on it than others. Seems to be quite popular where I am (in Australia).

Sephzilla

So, I have a few suggestions I just want to throw out there

1a) Jason's grip needs to be lessened a little. When you're at full health and early in the game getting caught by Jason shouldn't be such an immediate death situation, but it always seems to be. Since so many people are getting good at shift+grabbing, Jason's grip needs to be weakened a bit just to give people a little bit more of a chance. Even Jarvis can't break free in time.

1b) Shift should be the 4th ability unlock instead of the 3rd. I kind of feel like he gets shift too early given how much shift can flip the odds in Jason's favor. I also feel like Stalk would be better to have in the early game.

i was getting full or nearly full lobbies most of the night yesterday. And everyone was playing pretty fair.

1a) Jason's grip needs to be lessened a little. When you're at full health and early in the game getting caught by Jason shouldn't be such an immediate death situation, but it always seems to be. Since so many people are getting good at shift+grabbing, Jason's grip needs to be weakened a bit just to give people a little bit more of a chance. Even Jarvis can't break free in time.

1b) Shift should be the 4th ability unlock instead of the 3rd. I kind of feel like he gets shift too early given how much shift can flip the odds in Jason's favor. I also feel like Stalk would be better to have in the early game.

i was getting full or nearly full lobbies most of the night yesterday. And everyone was playing pretty fair.

These are both pretty reasonable. I'd also like furniture to be destroyable. Sometimes people will cat and mouse around a table for minutes. Rage jason should be able to smash those.

cucuchu

That's a shame, possibly your region is quieter on it than others. Seems to be quite popular where I am (in Australia).

I can attest that the PS4 NA region has devolved into utter dejection if you are relying on matchmaking. You will most likely get matched up with a group where half of them do not use their mics and the ones that do use their mics are in need of muting. I have a pretty high tolerance for dealing with stupidity in online gaming but the shit I hear in this game just depresses me to the point where the game is no longer enjoyable.

I suggest using the PS4 Community tab under the game in the PS4 menu to find a group. Its still pretty quick and you usually get groups of people that are fun to play with or at the very least tolerable.

Yeah, I totally agree and so do a lot of other players, I think. Stalk should be the most frequently replenished ability for the early Jasons, allowing you the chance to also reflect those films' more isolated ambush-heavy nature.

Wish they'd introduce a mantle/vault ability for fences/railing/small furniture at the cost of making loud sounds and possibly stumbling as well as a fixed stamina cost, while Jason simply does this a slow way if he cannot simply destroy it, like the wooden fences. Also why can't Jason pick up and drop or throw the dead to create/raise fear levels in the living? Happens magically in the movies and would be a good way to more easily track players.

In the short term, the game needs greater stability, fixes to exploits, and an answer for addressing non-talkers by introducing a communication/gesture radial menu or, less likely, an option to require or filter mic users.

Spman2099

The thing is... a lot of Jason's really struggle to kill people before they pick up shift. If you play a slow, lumbering Jason, you aren't killing anyone until you pick up your shift ability. So, I would be okay with the faster Jasons having it be the 4th ability, but the slower incarnations should probably get to keep it as their third.

As for grip strength... I feel like it is a decent suggestion, but I think they need to go about it with a very light touch. I think it is reasonable if counselors with high composure can break free the first time, but their ability to break free should diminish with every grab. Also, characters like Vanessa, with her terrible composure, shouldn't be able to break a grab unless the Jason is really fucking around.

I do think they should try to do something to help players in the first couple of minutes of the match. It sucks to have him teleport to your cabin ten seconds into the game and get screwed. However, they need to be real delicate with these changes, as the balance feels about right where it is now. Too many nerfs to Jason could completely break the game. As it gets harder for Jason to kill people, the people he isn't pursuing at that moment get more time to find supplies and repair vehicles. It would be a real shame if it started being a struggle for Jason to kill more than half of the counselors.

More than anything, I want them to improve mobility options. No one should be getting snagged on a glorified pebble.

I still think if you're getting killed in the first couple of minutes yourr doing something wrong.

If Jason teleport to where I am I book it out of there even the running Jason's can't keep up and they don't even have sense yet to see where you are going.

If you spawn by the car enter cabins st your peril, or do the sensible thing and book it to another part of the map.

Sephzilla

The thing is... a lot of Jason's really struggle to kill people before they pick up shift.

I honestly think Stalk early game would be as beneficial as shift since you could use it to be stealthy prior to Shift unlocking. I also think Stalk would get used a little more if it was unlocked prior to Shift because once you unlock Shfit you really don't need to be stealthy anymore since you effectively have two teleports.

As for grip strength... I feel like it is a decent suggestion, but I think they need to go about it with a very light touch. I think it is reasonable if counselors with high composure can break free the first time, but their ability to break free should diminish with every grab. Also, characters like Vanessa, with her terrible composure, shouldn't be able to break a grab unless the Jason is really fucking around.

I'm pretty sure the ability to break grip actually does diminishing with each subsequent grab. Nobody really notices it though because you never survive to see a second grab attempt. It did seem like it was easier to break a grab the first time pre-patch. I agree that characters with bad composure or strength should have a tough time breaking Jason's grab though. What made me realize that grip needed a tweak was when I got grabbed as Tommy Jarvis and couldn't even get a quarter of the break free meter full before I was dead.

HiiiLife

It must be because I use running Jason's, but I've never had trouble staying on the heels of counselors till their staminas down. Shift is nice, but have had enough luck killing people without it.

Tinman dX

Banned
SAME. And I'm a fucking Jenny main and pro masher, and I'll still get grabbed and gutted with zero fear. And I have a rare Escape Artist perk too!

It's fucking bullshit, man!

I've even tried setting both my paddles on my Elite controller to "A" and bouncing back and forth between them and still can't get out 😬

Ehhh I think I've hit a point where I'll put the game down and wait for some updates. Was originally going to stop when I hit Level 31 to get "Jason Goes to Hell" Jason, but at Level 22, I feel a bit burned out.

I think one of the biggest problems is having to sit and watch for like 10 minutes if you die. They should at least have a Jason perspective you can jump into to pass the time.

Tinman dX

Banned
I almost never use stalk, just doesn't seem all that good.

Stalk is great and the 2nd most severely under used item. I always initiate stalk and morph right to people, the don't hear you and the screen doesn't static. I literally followed behind 2 people in the woods talking back and forth how they were ducking me. Followed them till my Stalk wore off then the music went off scared the shit out of them and grabbed one and ripped his jaw off. It was perfect 🤣

Combat stance is the #1 most under used ability. People that complain about the Jason's that just hack them to death and don't grab, just combat stance it up and run away.

Sephzilla

Stalk when used properly is definitely a game changer. Lots of counselors are super reliant on that music, which is why I think Stalk should unlock before shift so you can do more silent morphs at the start of the game.

Speaking of combat stance, I learned yesterday that in combat stance Jason can
block flair gun shots

Voorhees

Stalk when used properly is definitely a game changer. Lots of counselors are super reliant on that music.

Speaking of combat stance, I learned yesterday that in combat stance Jason can
block flair gun shots

Not only that, but doors get smashed with fewer strokes.

I almost never use stalk, just doesn't seem all that good.
The thing with it is that the only time you're really going to sneak up on someone is when they're in a house, but you still need to break down the door to get to them which they'll obviously hear. I've had some luck doing things like waiting in houses with it or waiting around the corner of the fuse box, it just needs a bit of prediction and luck so it's not very reliable.

It's a good ability but it doesn't usually give immediate results in the way of kills so it doesn't feel as useful as the others.

The thing with it is that the only time you're really going to sneak up on someone is when they're in a house, but you still need to break down the door to get to them which they'll obviously hear. I've had some luck doing things like waiting in houses with it or waiting around the corner of the fuse box, it just needs a bit of prediction and luck so it's not very reliable.

If a counselor is in a house with one door, break all windows and wait directly in front of the door, he will 100% come out there and open it for you. No need to destroy it.

Sephzilla

If a counselor is in a house with one door, break all windows and wait directly in front of the door, he will 100% come out there and open it for you. No need to destroy it.

Yep. Break all the windows, go by the door, turn on stalk, and then patiently wait by the door for your free package

scott-pilgrim.gif

also occasionally turn on shift for a second to make sure your prey doesn't go through a broken window anyway

Cabal

I kickstarted this but hadn't had a shot to play until yesterday. I haven't played as Jason yet, but playing as a counselor is pretty fun. That said, I really wish this game had a better tutorial. I learned a bit by watching other people play but so far I've been killed fairly quickly most rounds. Several times by my own teammates which was half funny/half frustrating

Is there a post number or guide that has some general tips on surviving? Once I see Jason, I'm typically dead faster than I can do anything.

The nice thing is that even when I die, it's still pretty fun to watch.

Voorhees

I kickstarted this but hadn't had a shot to play until yesterday. I haven't played as Jason yet, but playing as a counselor is pretty fun. That said, I really wish this game had a better tutorial. I learned a bit by watching other people play but so far I've been killed fairly quickly most rounds. Several times by my own teammates which was half funny/half frustrating

Is there a post number or guide that has some general tips on surviving? Once I see Jason, I'm typically dead faster than I can do anything.

The nice thing is that even when I die, it's still pretty fun to watch.

First thing you should always be doing is barring every door of every cabin you enter.
Second is searching every drawer, nook, and cranny for defensive items (Firecrakers, Pocketknife, Health Spray) as well as the CB, Map and Car parts.
Jog, don't Sprint.
You recharge stamina faster crouched and not moving, and in the light.
If you Spawn near a Car, run away from it quickly.

I was playing as Jason last night and I ran into a Vanessa who's jogging/out of stamina speed was faster than my run speed. I could not catch up to here despite beelining her the whole time.

I know there's not a perk for faster speed so I'm wondering how she did it.

Sephzilla

Yeah, if you spawn near the car turn into Usian Bolt and get the fuck out of there because Jason is going to be there in a matter of moments. I'm pretty sure I'm the only Jason who doesn't immediately teleport to the car's location

Voorhees

Free content dropping tomorrow.

2 new sets of clothes for each counselor
13,000 Free CP
Double XP this weekend 6/22-6/24
Retro Jason (NES Purple)

They just posted it to their Facebook page with Video

FB Page

Nice. I hope their strong initial sales across all platforms has enabled them the revenue to get in there and keep this from losing momentum due to all of the little issues that have piled up. I suppose the timing has nothing to do with DbD hitting consoles the same day...

(Should never have launched on consoles in such a raw state.)

Majora

That's cool but I really just want them to fix the two-storey house glitch on PS4. Hit a guy glitching there with 9 knives without him dying and he didn't even heal. I assume he had some perk that dramatically reduced damage. Barely a game goes by on that map where someone doesn't hide there. Honestly I have no clue how people can find sitting there for 20 minutes fun but whatever.

Voorhees

That's cool but I really just want them to fix the two-storey house glitch on PS4. Hit a guy glitching there with 9 knives without him dying and he didn't even heal. I assume he had some perk that dramatically reduced damage. Barely a game goes by on that map where someone doesn't hide there. Honestly I have no clue how people can find sitting there for 20 minutes fun but whatever.

The patch fix for that should be out on PS4 this week.

Cabal

First thing you should always be doing is barring every door of every cabin you enter.
Second is searching every drawer, nook, and cranny for defensive items (Firecrakers, Pocketknife, Health Spray) as well as the CB, Map and Car parts.
Jog, don't Sprint.
You recharge stamina faster crouched and not moving, and in the light.
If you Spawn near a Car, run away from it quickly.

Thank you, all of that makes sense.

if you would be so kind, I have another question. Maybe this will get clearer once I play as Jason, but in one game, I was using AJ and in stealth hiding behind a rock watching Jason walk by. He was facing the opposite direction then he teleported right behind me and killed me nearly instantly.

So how did he see me? AJ has the highest stealth rating and I wasn't moving. Do I still show up on the mini map? I'm almost 100% certain he couldn't see me at all. I wish you could spectate Jason.

Sorry I know, dumb new player questionbut I'm trying to get a handle on whether to run or hide when I see him, because typically either way I'm fucked. Only escaped him once, yesterday.

LUXURY

Thats fucking awesome. I'm really excited. I just hope they can fix the hard pc crashes soon. The player base experiencing it is growing.

Voorhees

Thank you, all of that makes sense.

if you would be so kind, I have another question. Maybe this will get clearer once I play as Jason, but in one game, I was using AJ and in stealth hiding behind a rock watching Jason walk by. He was facing the opposite direction then he teleported right behind me and killed me nearly instantly.

So how did he see me? AJ has the highest stealth rating and I wasn't moving. Do I still show up on the mini map? I'm almost 100% certain he couldn't see me at all. I wish you could spectate Jason.

Sorry I know, dumb new player questionbut I'm trying to get a handle on whether to run or hide when I see him, because typically either way I'm fucked. Only escaped him once, yesterday.

Yes, if Jason has the Sense Ability active and you are nearby you will glow red to him, like if he were the Predator.

Holy shit, literally right when I said I was getting burned out on the game this drops. I will SUPER be back in for NES Jason.

Also, damn at 13000 CP. I'll basically be able to buy all of Jason's kill animations now with a bunch left over for rolling perks.

Sephzilla

That 13,000 CP is definitely getting used for Jason kills. I spend too much of my current XP on counselor perks.

Part 8 Jason honestly has my favorite character specific kills. Those are pretty brutal. Savini Jason also one really brutal looking kill where he guts you with the pitch fork and then just stares you down as you die.

Top Bottom