• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fringe: J.J Abrams' new TV show (September 9 on Fox)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Review:

In many ways, Michael Giacchino has painted himself into a corner. His work on the television program LOST is so memorable, so genre-redefining, that one can't help but search for traces of that landmark work in any other score he produces. With a feature like Ratatouille, it's easy to go in different and untraceable directions.

But what of another genre television program? Featuring intrigue and mystery? Is there any possible way for the composer to create something new, from whole cloth?

The answer is both yes and no.

While there are clear traces of Giacchino's work on LOST, especially in his cues before commercial, he has clearly made strides to bring the music more in line with the almost synthetic sound environment of typical science fiction film and television programming. Whereas LOST is, in every way a more organic show (and thus more organic sounding), Fringe is about technology, and thus the mood is more modern, more artificial, and the music reflects this.

There is a lack of recognizable character themes because, frankly, this is not a character driven show. This is a show driven by the technology itself, and again, the music dutifully reflects that.

There is no "Locke'd Out Again" or "Distraught Desmond", to be sure, but Giacchino once again effortlessly creates a cohesive and appropriate mood for the show.

3.5/5

Oh! Also, the show was pretty fucking awesome. I quite like our three hapless protagonists and their pretty much invisible assistant (who's not a goth or a token indie rocker!).

BenjaminBirdie said:
My Review:

In many ways, Michael Giacchino has painted himself into a corner. His work on the television program LOST is so memorable, so genre-redefining, that one can't help but search for traces of that landmark work in any other score he produces.
With a feature like Ratatouille, it's easy to go in different and untraceable directions.
What? :lol You really lay the hyperbole on thick. He *is* great though. :) (his Lost score isn't)

Spotless Mind said:
What? :lol You really lay the hyperbole on thick.

-_-

I reviewed the extravagantly produced pilot.

Of a gigantic new television enterprise.

Talking about nothing but the music.

What exactly did you think I was doing, Spotless.

Juice

BenjaminBirdie said:
-_-

I reviewed the extravagantly produced pilot.

Of a gigantic new television enterprise.

Talking about nothing but the music.

What exactly did you think I was doing, Spotless.

"I don't think Gob knows what he's saying"

Basch

F#ck awesome. Outstanding episode. Way better than I expected. Quite lengthy to boot. Not used to episodes running this long, but I can see how this might become addicting. Great production values across the board. Here's a breakdown of what I thought of the show:

+ Anna Torv. Wow, such an amazing actress. I couldn't help but think I somehow discovered a diamond in the rough. She sold the story, the drama, the characters; everything. She was the glue to which all came together. A possible Emmy, perhaps? Yes, most definitely.

+ The occasional mix of humor provided a nice break from the ambient paranormal theme and surrounding drama, offering additional insight to further character study. Jackson's character probably benefits the most from this. Though, I would like to see his character break away from the mold. The chase scene was a nice start. I want to see more of his inner workings.

+ Walter's scenes in the mental institution contained some surprisingly rich dialogue. His character, full of depth, became the focal point towards the middle of the show. Fifteen minutes of fame I guess. Loved his lines. Clearly hogged all the best for himself. However, I would like to hear some more of this punishment he deserved. Also, why Petey hates him so much.

+ The whole mind reading scene was shockingly beautiful. Brilliant close-ups with gorgeous cinematography to boot. One of my favorite scenes of the movie... uh, I mean, episode. Admittedly, I jumped a few feet in the air when Walter pulled Olivia out. Got confused whether or not she was still in the dream like state for a second.

+ Loved the effects and touches put on the explosion at the beginning when John discovered the lab. Olivia's meltdown when waking up gave me goosebumps. The white light, followed by the abrupt eruption of color, provided some truly chilling moments. A few more screams here and there wouldn't have hurt. This part really comes together when we see Durham crying in the ambulance towards the end. Though, I have to say, I didn't feel anything for John, which leads me to my next point.

- Mark Valley did an exceptional job of showing the tender side of Scott and his love for Olivia. Regrettably, that was all thrown away after the big reveal. After all Olivia did, going out of her way and being put through hell, to save him, I didn't feel one ounce of sadness once tragedy struck. Everything was like a blur. Considerable letdown that could have made a lasting impression if it wasn't for the rest of the episode.

- Kind of a shame to see what could have made for such an unexpected twist cast aside. Completely enthralled 'til we saw the inevitable death of what's-his-name. I was hoping Torv's lover would fill the void. After all, one might wonder if three will be enough. I guess it would be kind of hard to develop Jackson's character without killing off the prick.

- 3D Location titles need to be more subtle. Nice idea, but desperately needs a more abstract approach. For instance, hide the text in a snow bank with a pinch of blue highlights. Decorate the text so that snow falls on it making it blend with the environment. Would attract the eye, but not distract it from the drama unfolding on screen.

? As noted above, Astrid needs more screen time. If a majority, or even a moderate amount, of these scenes take place in their hub/lab, she will need more lines. Having her as background does her no justice, and will prevent the scenes from coming alive. I'll let this one slide with it being the first episode and all.

? A bit confusing towards the beginning. Had no idea what was going on and couldn't help but feel clueless as to what was transpiring for the first quarter of the show. Was probably also why I didn't warm up to Jackson's character right away. Not a good idea to introduce a new face when the viewer hardly has a handle on the situation. Then again, I'm convinced I have only myself to blame for that one.

Brilliant first episode. Glad I watched it. Will be sticking around for the rest of the season. By the way, is it just me or was anybody surprised to see an overarching story to the show? From early feedback, others made it out to be the episodic type of series. If the first season's trailer is representative of the final product, they might have just figured a way to blend the two together. I'm sure this will allow the show to become fairly "newb" friendly. :D

gblues

Banned
Basch said:
- 3D Location titles need to be more subtle. Nice idea, but desperately needs a more abstract approach. For instance, hide the text in a snow bank with a pinch of blue highlights. Decorate the text so that snow falls on it making it blend with the environment. Would attract the eye, but not distract it from the drama unfolding on screen.

I thought the 3d location titles were cheesy as hell. I'm all for creative titling; I really liked how Heroes did the episode titles, for example. But this was just over the top stupid. Just do a damn text overlay or a 2-second title card a la Law & Order.

K0NY

I really liked this show. It kept me interested the whole time and made me want more. I love the quirky professor throwing together incredible feats of science so matter-of-factly. I got a bit of a "Han Solo" vibe from Jackson early on. So that made him endearing.

I liked the location text as part of the scene. That's a neat little touch which reminds us that technology is very much at the forefront of the proceedings.

Can't wait to see how this unfolds.

bachikarn

One thing that pissed me off was that the chick needed to be naked to do the mind reading thing, but apparently it was okay for her to just be in her underwear ;)

1) Anna Torv is areason to watch television.

2) Cyber arms rock ass!

3) The MD office space reminded me of Blade runner and that can only be an epic thing.

Good stuff/Good stuff

Solo

Meh, it was alright. Not crap, but far from the best pilot Ive seen. By comparison, Lost's pilot is one of the best Ive ever seen. That said, I think Ill give it another episode before I write it off. The lead female is reason to watch.

Zeliard

Solo said:
Meh, it was alright. Not crap, but far from the best pilot Ive seen. By comparison, Lost's pilot is one of the best Ive ever seen. That said, I think Ill give it another episode before I write it off. The lead female is reason to watch.

Lost's pilot had a tremendous hook. Fringe's didn't. It seems very by-the-numbers so far. Nothing about it sticks out at all, and it's the pilot episode that's supposed to grab the viewer. Clearly it's worked for some people, though.

Solo

Exactly. There is nothing that makes it stand out amongst the other 100 serials on TV. At least not yet.

Memles

Solo said:
Exactly. There is nothing that makes it stand out amongst the other 100 serials on TV. At least not yet.

I think it's that it's not really a serial.

I'll crib this from my blog review for the sake of not rewriting the entire thing, but this kind of sums up my agreement with the lack of outright enthusiasm with a caveat for the long term ramifications:

One of the fascinating things about Fringe is that, at its core, it is many things we normally associate with lesser television series. It’s blindly derivative of The X-Files, is a procedural in an era where the term is a dirty word, and J.J. Abrams’ creative influence feels like a simplified version of Alias. Combine with a rather outrageous sense of psuedoscience that takes some time to get into, and there’s plenty of reasons why Fringe could have been a disappointment.

But it’s not: from the opening scene, Fringe raises a central question that begs an answer, a scientific mystery that is caught up in something very large and, most importantly, something very real. I don’t mean real in the sense that this exists within our own universe, but that it is not some conspiracy trapped within pure shadows: yes, there is definite mystery, but the actual structure of the series represents a clear and, at least generally speaking, easy to follow setup in which these questions can be answered.

While this does mean that the show will not be quite the action-based and serialized rollercoaster that Lost or Alias were on occasion, it more importantly allows the show to focus on other things. In particular, there is some very strong character work throughout the episode, with strong performances and good scripting creating both interpersonal relationships and personal motivations that drive the action forward. While the result is a pilot that lacks the same punch as Abrams’ previous projects, it might actually be a better pilot at foregoing a few twists and turns (not that the ones in the episode are poor) in favour of building a sustainable foundation for the future.

Plus: that dude’s jaw totally just melted off.

koam

I watched it, i don't know what to think of it yet. Is this an actual "series series" or is it a bunch of stand alone episodes with a minor sub story to hold everything together. I was hoping it was most like lost/heroes/sarah conor etc where you have one giant story that's cut into many episodes. I hate stand alone episodes shows and this kind of felt like it would that type.

Oh also "naked" is not the same thing as "take off your clothes". Why did the guy keep telling her to get naked instead of take of your clothes (which implies leave your bra and panties on).

VPhys

Dot50Cal said:
DEAD.jpg

What other show is this guy in? It's on the tip of my tongue and I know I've seen the entire series of his other show.

This show is full of win, awesome and win.

Yes, I said win twice.

But WTF is up with Giacchino scoring the show like it's Lost? The guy isn't exactly a one trick pony and could easily make the score sound different (check out his amazing Speed Racer score plus The Incredibles and Ratatouille not to mention countless Medal of Honor games for evidence of that)

ZeoVGM

Banned
polyh3dron said:
This show is full of win, awesome and win.

Yes, I said win twice.

But WTF is up with Giacchino scoring the show like it's Lost?

Really? I noticed some similarities, but it definitely had its own unique aspects. There were a couple scenes, specifically, where I thought "this sounds like it's going to be one of the Fringe "themes", much like Lost has "themes". It was more piano driven than Lost, I thought.

The last scene between Olivia and Peter, for example. Go rewatch that scene. That doesn't sound like anything out of Lost.

omg rite said:
Really? I noticed some similarities, but it definitely had its own unique aspects. There were a couple scenes, specifically, where I thought "this sounds like it's going to be one of the Fringe "themes", much like Lost has "themes". It was more piano driven than Lost, I thought.

The last scene between Olivia and Peter, for example. Go rewatch that scene. That doesn't sound like anything out of Lost.
The "dissonant falling notes" sound he does with the strings at the end of a scene (basically the Lost version of the "dun dun dunnn") is EXACTLY THE SAME. This is the main similarity, and it's something that doesn't exist in any Giacchino work except for Lost and now Fringe.

polyh3dron said:
The sounds he does with the strings at the end of a scene (basically the Lost version of the "dun dun dunnn") is EXACTLY THE SAME. This is the main similarity, and it's something that doesn't exist in any Giacchino work except for Lost and now Fringe.
...and Alias. He frequently overused his patented strings of doom in that show.

Mashing

Wow, that pilot was much better than expected. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this show. I'm afraid that it's going to be canceled. I don't see how in the hell they are going to keep their audience. This show is going to appeal to technofreaks and sci-fi aficionados.... of which I fit right in with.

anaron

I've already said this but I really don't think Fox will cancel Fringe anytime soon. They've spent millions on advertising alone and it's not a cheap show to make so to cancel pre-maturely would just end up hurting them more in the end.

And as I have ALSO said before, I really don't want this to bite me in the ass but I'm cautiously optomistic. :/

Xabora

Mashing said:
Wow, that pilot was much better than expected. I'll definitely be keeping tabs on this show. I'm afraid that it's going to be canceled. I don't see how in the hell they are going to keep their audience. This show is going to appeal to technofreaks and sci-fi aficionados.... of which I fit right in with.
Its on fox... if its going to get canceled it will be around the mid holidays.

Sometime around the break to never be seen again.

/salute @ Living in Captivity

Memles

Mashing said:

The show's quasi-procedural hook will help pull in the fence-sitting House viewers who are open to somewhat more "extreme" content - having the biggest scripted drama on the network, and one of the biggest on TV, as your lead-in has its benefits, and in this case I think there's more of a thematic connection than people realize.

Pilot was okay, though I had no expectations for it. Is this show going to be serialized, where you must tune in every week for fear of missing something important, or is there just going to be an overarching plot, like in X-Files?

And were there a few Lost references, like some of the numbers (I spotted 108 on one occasion), or am I just overanalyzing things?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
polyh3dron said:
aha, never watched that show.

I have a nickname for you.

I shall call you failure.

Everybody, say hi to failure!

I'm going to watch the aired version to see if it's any better but I'm honestly surprised people are loving the show so much. The mind reading thing just kinda blew the whole show for me and only the ending sorta saved it. I just had trouble thinking the show wasn't lame after they did that. On top of that it feels like a rip off the X-Files while retaining none of the mystique and nowhere near as good. X-Files shits all over this so far. I'm really surprised GAF likes this that much so far.....

Jack Scofield said:
Pilot was okay, though I had no expectations for it. Is this show going to be serialized, where you must tune in every week for fear of missing something important, or is there just going to be an overarching plot, like in X-Files?
I hope it is latter. It might be the first JJ Abrams show that doesn't incite anger and rage in me. The lack of standalone stories in both Lost and Alias has made my hate for them even stronger. There is nothing to redeem them since both of their multi season spanning story arcs have gone down the tubes and every episode is related to them.

White Man

Forgive me for asking without reading the full thread: was the pilot the full 90 minute version, or was it trimmed to an hour? My biggest problem with the pilot was the pacing, and if they made it tighter, I can see being legitimately hyped. As it stands, from the pilot, I'm merely curious.

Schrade

White Man said:
Forgive me for asking without reading the full thread: was the pilot the full 90 minute version, or was it trimmed to an hour? My biggest problem with the pilot was the pacing, and if they made it tighter, I can see being legitimately hyped. As it stands, from the pilot, I'm merely curious.
1 hour, 20 minutes long without commercials.

Zalasta

omg rite said:
Well, I don't think he wanted to die. And her seeing his face would save him.

At no point during the exchange between John and Olivia was there evidence he knew he was dying, nor did she hinted/implied it. I specifically recall that because I kept waiting for her to say it but she didn't. She only said that by remembering the guy's face will help her catch him, which John would not want to do.

Anyway, the other thing that really bothered me was how much pull Olivia had. At first she was completely under Broyles's whim and was very frustrated because she had to do the investigation his way. However, as her demands became more and more outrageous in order to save John (yes, professionalism completely out of the window), she was able to cut corners and make things happen without Broyles's involvement. Yeah, really believable there -_-

I like the gloss of the pilot for Fringe, but when I start thinking more about it, there are just too many things wrong with the plot. Impressed, but getting underwhelmed by the minute.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Zalasta said:
At no point during the exchange between John and Olivia was there evidence he knew he was dying, nor did she hinted/implied it. I specifically recall that because I kept waiting for her to say it but she didn't. She only said that by remembering the guy's face will help her catch him, which John would not want to do.

Anyway, the other thing that really bothered me was how much pull Olivia had. At first she was completely under Broyles's whim and was very frustrated because she had to do the investigation his way. However, as her demands became more and more outrageous in order to save John (yes, professionalism completely out of the window), she was able to cut corners and make things happen without Broyles's involvement. Yeah, really believable there -_-

Seems like you're trying to find things to nitpick about. It's a sci-fi TV show. It's not supposed to be believable. Neither is any of the real world stuff on Lost, but who cares?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom