• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From 'Life is Strange' to 'Vampyr': DONTNOD's Dark Turn [POLYGON]

Corpsepyre

Banned
http://www.polygon.com/2016/4/25/11473076/vampyr-dontnod-life-is-strange

This was a pretty good write-up by Polygon. Do read in full. I'm really waiting for this one now. Dontnod seems like they have the game's world on point. There's a great deal of info on the studio itself in there.

'The French developer's first project, Remember Me, was a troubled one. It involved a publisher drop and swap, and a launch greeted by mixed reviews and mediocre sales. Its sophomore effort, despite criticism for its writing and some technical issues, signaled a more confident, competent studio at work. Life is Strange went on to win multiple awards, nominations and praise for its handling of relatable characters in real-world situations.

As Dontnod prepares to release its third title, an action role-playing game called Vampyr, it has something to prove — both to itself and to its audience. The company is done chasing dreams of AAA, co-founder and CEO Oskar Guilbert says, and has a more specific vision in mind.

"We see ourselves as more like the Sundance Festival of movie independence, American movies," says Guilbert. "Maybe like — it will be pretentious, but — like HBO in TV. They [brought] something new to the TV series in the '80s, the '90s. This is something we want to do in games — to bring the content, the emotion — and I think we've shown that it's possible with Life is Strange. We want to continue like that."

vamp_photo.0.jpg

'Vampyr surfaced in early 2015, a mere week and a half before Life is Strange's inaugural episode launched; at the time, Dontnod was still best known for Remember Me.

Dontnod had little to say about Vampyr then. The vampire RPG was set to star a doctor, a man turned against his will, after returning home from the First World War in 1918. As 2015 wore on, the developer dropped some details about the project: a city in the grip of the Spanish flu; choices on who to kill and who to spare that will affect the game's story. Duality — the struggle between protagonist Jonathan Reid's desire to be a humanist, a man of science who wants to heal, and a creature of darkness compelled to survive by taking the lives of others — is burrowed deep into its themes.

Stéphane Beauverger, the game's narrative director, often describes Vampyr's story as a gothic one: dark, despair-filled and full of melancholy. It's a romanticized tale of immortals, without the romance.

"Very far from Twilight," Beauverger says.'

'Vampyr's time period is deeply rooted in its story and vibe, but the game almost took a very different path. Stéphane Beauverger says the team considered setting the game in the 1950s for a short time, during the "golden era in America."

"Everybody was happy," he says of the time frame. "It was interesting to add some misery, some despair in this bright world."

The team got as far as to ponder potential weapons for Jonathan to use, but eventually canned the idea. Dontnod settled on 1918 and the circumstances of the time — social unrest, the repercussions of a war, a pandemic.

"This war at the beginning at the 20th century is the root of so many things," Beauverger says. "It's the beginning of communism. It's the beginning of feminism. It's the end of the old empires ... Darwin has killed God. God is dead, now we know where we come from — it's all genetic. It's a brand-new era.

"Really, mankind is in the same situation as the vampire. You have so much power. What will you do with it? That's why the hero is on the verge of falling down, and so is mankind."

Studio_Session-017-11.0.jpg

'Jonathan Reid's evolution, and by extension the game's, is intimately tied to the number of people you feed on. The more you kill, the stronger you'll become. You can advance your character's strength and skills through fighting — hunters, other vampires and so on — but feeding on humans is the fastest, most effective way to advance Jonathan's abilities.

Dontnod plans to include a stack of RPG features in Vampyr, including skill trees to better tailor the vampire experience to the player. During an early demo, the developer showed off a few of Jonathan's supernatural skills. While some give him strength and speed, like a spring attack that allows him to quickly close gaps, others are more insidious. The doctor has the ability to mesmerize citizens and manipulate those with weak minds.'

'In one ominous image, the city of White Chapel appeared to be burning — a consequence of attacking too many people. Death is part of Vampyr, and so is murder, but it's not glamorous, says Beauverger. It's aggressive, with players killing quickly and with power suited to a damned being.'

Much more at the link.

diaspora

the team considered setting the game in the 1950s for a short time, during the "golden era in America."

"Everybody was happy," he says of the time frame.

Well, not everyone if you know what I mean. But I'm glad that they're sticking to 1918.

Flopfan

Yes!! So excited for this game. I read the preview for it in EDGE and it sounds like my type of game. Vampires? Check. Dark and gloomy atmosphere? Check. real world setting? Check. Rpg mechanics with meaningful and impactful choices? Check.

Cannot wait.

Life is Strange is one of my favorite games of the last 10 years.

I'm kind of sad at this story direction. I've never liked vampire-esque stories at all. I think I liked LiS so much because it was relatable. This one, idk. I might check it out but will probably pass.

JeremiahJUX

Neo Member
Life is Strange was one of the most entertaining games I've played in a while. Also, My Girlfriend and I both enjoyed the game together. It kinda sucks that I don't think we'll have the same experience with Vampyr, but I think that this game should definitely stay in people's radars. Doesn't look like a lighthearted game, but imagine if they made the game like the movie "What We Do In The Shadows."

Nudull

Banned
As much as I hated some of the writing in Life is Strange (especially the last two episodes), I'm still curious to see how Vampyr turns out. Hopefully, DONTNOD learned from the former.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I hated Remember Me and Life is Strange, so normally I wouldn't bother keeping an eye on any more DONTNOD games, but this sounds so damn interesting. Please don't disappoint :(

Mifec

I just hope it's a good game. Remember me had a nice aesthetic going for it but the gameplay itself was nonredeemable dogshit.

I think it sounds pretty neat! Obviously, there isn't any way to tell if this will be good or not, but I have faith in them. They've had a good amount of time to learn what works and what doesn't, and Life is Strange was pretty good, IMO. Not perfect, but I enjoyed it.

I'm intrigued, but pretty much entirely because it's a new DONTNOD game, and I enjoyed Remember Me and loved Life Is Strange. The setting and story doesn't really do anything for me and the gameplay footage that got leaked a while back looked like a standard action RPG.

Random question: many of the article's images appear to be photos of book spreads. What is this book? Is there a DONTNOD artbook I don't know about? (Clearly it's not the Remember Me artbook!)

alexbull_uk

I'll give it a try because of how good LiS is - but I'm not expecting much as it's not a genre I'm particularly interested in. I really hope it does well, though.

Quocia

Neo Member
I've read in an article that it wasn't the same team of people working on Life is Strange & Vampyr.

Anyways, I can't wait to see more of it!

We'll I loved Life is Strange and Vampire the Masquerade:Bloodlines. Maybe this could be the game for me.

1918 post-war is a great and neglected time-frame too.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I love the studio so much. I can only wish them the best. And I'm loving the setting of Vampyr. A vampire doctor in England in the WWI era? That's original as heck.

But the project soon ran into trouble as Sony made cuts from its upcoming catalog, with Remember Me among them.

"They were downsizing," Beauverger says of the games cut. "So for a few months, we had no idea where we — we really believe that from the difficulties, come the better ideas. If everything is easy, you get a little bit lazy."

Dontnod eventually signed with Capcom to publish the game, but it was a move that came with consequences: axed characters, cut sequences, killed gameplay ideas.

As much as I love Sony's output and all, if I were a developer, I'd avoid them like the plague. I'm glad that Dontnod didn't shut down because of them.

Remember Me's combat was so shit. Why do these studios keep trying to take Batman Arkham combat and twist it into something unique? Just copy the entire thing.

Eylos

Banned
I like interview with a Vampire. Story can be interesting, my fear is the flow of the game if they focus to much in battle...

Salsa

some of Life is Strange was really bad

mostly some of the dialog

but it still sorta worked cause it was set in such a "doesnt take itself seriously" teen-world

so idk about this

looking forward to it tho

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Remember Me's combat was so shit. Why do these studios keep trying to take Batman Arkham combat and twist it into something unique? Just copy the entire thing.

The article states that they had more gameplay ideas which they had to severely cut because Sony cut them loose.

The article states that they had more gameplay ideas which they had to severely cut because Sony cut them loose.

I'm taking about the whole terrible combo lab thing. The game would have been better if the combat was just a simple Arkham clone with them focusing on making the attacks feel good.

ryseing

Is Vampyr open world? It's stunning to me that no one has nailed a AAA open world vampire experience, V:TM and Festival of Blood coming closest. Hope Dontnod delivers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm taking about the whole terrible combo lab thing. The game would have been better if the combat was just a simple Arkham clone with them focusing on making the attacks feel good.

And I'm talking about how maybe that idea could've meshed with the other ideas, however since that didn't happen, yeah, you're right, they would've been better off.

LordCiego

Knowing its an rpg and that you can have non combat powers I hope its not one of those games where if you dont do a combat oriented build you are fucked up in a latter point of the game.

Parsnip

I'm extremely interested in this.

Thought Remember Me was flawed but dope, loved Life is Strange, and vampires can be pretty cool.

Humdinger

I'm interested, not because of the subject (dislike vampire stories), but because I enjoyed LiS and like RPGs. Need to hear more specific info before deciding.

Top Bottom