• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Paris With Love (Dir. Morel; Travolta, Rhys Meyers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
from_paris_with_love_travolta_jonathan_rhys_meyers_photo.jpg

Director:
Pierre Morel (Taken, District B13, upcoming Dune)
Writers: Story by Luc Besson (director of The Fifth Element and Leon), Script by Adi Hasak
Cast: John Travolta, Jonathan Rhys Meyers
Runtime: 92min
Plot: In Paris, a young employee in the office of the US Ambassador hooks up with an American spy looking to stop a terrorist attack in the city.
Rating: R for strong bloody violence throughout, drug content, pervasive language and brief sexuality.

IMDb - Wiki - RottenTomatoes

Consensus:
Though not without its charms -- chief among them John Travolta's endearingly over-the-top performance -- From Paris with Love is too muddled and disjointed to satisfy.
Trailer

From Paris With Love hits theaters Feb. 5th.

dg32

Neo Member
IMO it looks terrible. He's supposed to be some bad ass special operative, but he looks like Matt Geiger with crappy lines. "It's about terrorism!", "That's how I do things", "Welcome to Paris, baby" etc.

The only real selling point to me is that it was co-written and produced by Luc Besson. Why did you mention that? :p

But yeah I'll probably go to a second-run or wait for DVD.

dg32

Neo Member
sooperkool said:
That dialogue will make it great, just like old-school Arnold movies.

I thought of that before posting, how epic the lines were in Commando, maybe in 20 years I'll watch it and think it's one of those "so cheesy it's awesome" movies.

Enosh

looks like some good old mindles fun ala Crank, or transporter, just with Travolta instead of Statham

should be fun

ToxicAdam

The most offputting thing about the commercials is that Travolta looks orange. He used a bronzer or something and it's very distracting.

Movies produced and/or written (but not directed) by Besson are more often than not complete pieces of crap.

Not looking forward to at this.

tino

Banned
Travolta looks sad. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always enjoy the new ways Luc Besson find to objectify women in his produced movies. So I will download it.

sullytao

DanielPlainview said:
we do a weekly Top Ten related to the film coming out this week. In honor of From Paris With Love:

:D
All he needs now is a phone in one hand and he will be perfect for the pre movie (turn your mobile off) orange sketch.

hsin

Banned
Saw this at a presreen last night. Didn't think I'd enjoy it from the trailers but I ended up THOROUGHLY enjoying myself.

Travolta's still got the moves.

It was very enjoyable, Travolta redeemed himself after the terrible Pelham 123. It wasn't as good as Taken and I wouldn't say rush out and see it, but worth a rental.

Tater Tot

"My God... it's full of Starch!"
Just saw it, slept threw half the movie, only because I was super tired. Anyways from what I saw it was pretty good, the ending was very cheesy.

royal with cheese

Just got back from watching this, the movie was fuckawesome and once again made me a Travolta fan (Royale reference notwithstanding)

Epcott

I get this Swordfishy vibe from Travolta in the preview to this. Is he totally over the top %100 percent of the time, or is he cool and under the radar at least %50 of his time on screen????

BaronLundi said:
Let's see.

Crap with Jet Li.
Crap with Liam Neeson.
Crap (omg the acting/story is bad, nice parkour though).
Another crap with Jet Li

Confirmed (my opinion).

Junior, I join your stand.

All these movie were crap. Just entertaining average action movie with oustanding athletic performances.

-PXG-

Looks like a stupid, nonsensical action film. In other words, should be a lot of fun. Nothing to take too seriously. If Travolta's character is anything like Ryder from Pelham 123, then it should be alright.

What????

Taken is the perfect action movie. The lines are awesome. The action feels baddass and the "story" does not ruin the pace of the action. Its an awesome action movie.

Same thing goes for B13 which has some awesome scenes and actual art direction. Besides that the movie knows its story is dumb but works in the confines of that to just present a pretty fun movie.

I hope none of you haters are in the movie business. You seem to not understand want makes Jason Stham movies just as fun as The Godfather as great.

kaskade

It has a higher RT score than Dear John:lol . SO many girls are excited for that movie too for whatever reason. At least a not so good action movie can be still fun with decent action. A bad drama is pretty much just bad.

kaskade

hsin said:
Saw this at a presreen last night. Didn't think I'd enjoy it from the trailers but I ended up THOROUGHLY enjoying myself.

Travolta's still got the moves.
Good to hear. I figure as long as it delivers on action I don't really care about anything else.

Epcott said:
I get this Swordfishy vibe from Travolta in the preview to this. Is he totally over the top %100 percent of the time, or is he cool and under the radar at least %50 of his time on screen????
Over the top the whole time, it makes it fun.

tino said:
Executive Producer. Doesn't mean anything.

Yup.

Europa produced a few very good films (e.g. 3 burials). I still think most of the stuff he's had a hand in is pretty bad and he hasn't directed a good movie for a loooong time.

I admit I hold a bit of a grudge against him though. I dislike the guy and I find irritating that he's one of the few french directors to make it abroad.

Superman00

Liverpool01
BaronLundi said:
Yup.

Europa produced a few very good films (e.g. 3 burials). I still think most of the stuff he's had a hand in is pretty bad and he hasn't directed a good movie for a loooong time.

I admit I hold a bit of a grudge against him though. I dislike the guy and I find irritating that he's one of the few french directors to make it abroad.

:lol , so in other words. You mad? You just admit you don't like the guy, therefore you're gonna bias against his movies.

Kurtofan

BaronLundi said:
Yup.

Yeah he's quite popular amongst foreign critics for some reasons I fail to see.

Superman00 said:
:lol , so in other words. You mad? You just admit you don't like the guy, therefore you're gonna bias against his movies.

Nah, I love plenty of stuff made by people that are or might be douchebags. Main reason I don't like the guy is the movies, if I thought he did something brillant I'd admit it.

big ander

Travolta's character is over-the-top in a good way. The movie is fairly predictable, but the action is very well done and just plain fun.
Which is what the movie is: just plain fun. I enjoyed it.

big ander

DanielPlainview said:
just put up the newest podcast ep where we review the film + talk reboots:

Nice review there. I agree that Taken was better, but again, this was still great. I also loved the scene with the bodies coming down the stairs.
Didn't know about the Mr. and Mrs. Smith reboot. I...don't get it. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom