• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FROMSOFTWARE is now the sole owner of Elden ring IP, thanks to Sony and Tencent investments to help the developer self-publish.

near

Gold Member
XDEV JP used to be part of the whole WWS Japan Studio division.
There was no XDev JP. Japan Studio use to handle partnerships internally within Japan. Those operations and now handled by XDev which is why they're working with Team Ninja, and prior to that Kojima Productions. This is only because Japan Studio literally got shut down. Those are the first two projects outside of Europe handled by XDev.

So Sony's relationship with FromSoftware is strong because they have Shuhei Yoshida, the head of indie development, and XDev who have never worked with FromSoftware. This makes so much sense! Sony should buy FromSoftware so they can flourish! lololol

To be honest, I thought we were going to have a reasonable discussion. But it turns out I was creating better counterarguments to myself than you have here.

Yes, because Shu is working on indies now, that relationship no longer exists... that makes sense. XDev has never worked with FromSoftware? Want to confirm that? You realize that Xdev works on several projects whether they're listed or not right? They consult all the time, including helping studios with devkits.

Ask yourself when Sony closed Japan Studios and when they bought into FromSoftware and Kadokawa. Which happened first.

You think you're being reasonable but you're literally pulling stuff out of your ass.

There was no XDev JP. Japan Studio use to handle partnerships internally within Japan. Those operations and now handled by XDev which is why they're working with Team Ninja, and prior to that Kojima Productions. This is only because Japan Studio literally got shut down. Those are the first two projects outside of Europe handled by XDev.

external support in Japan that was Japan Studios has rolled under Xdev but keep digging yourself deeper.

near

Gold Member
external support in Japan that was Japan Studios has rolled under Xdev but keep digging yourself deeper.
I mean I literally just said that.

There was no XDev JP. Japan Studio use to handle partnerships internally within Japan. Those operations are now handled by XDev which is why they're working with Team Ninja, and prior to that Kojima Productions. This is only because Japan Studio literally got shut down. Those are the first two projects outside of Europe handled by XDev.

This isn't a competition mibu, it's a discussion. If you want to keep moving goal posts, lets just end it. This is getting childish.

MrTroubleMaker

Gold Member
thanks winnie
maxresdefault.jpg

near

Gold Member
It literally is not what you said lol. You made absolutely no mention that the same people are working with them as Xdev you said that relationship disappeared with Japan Studio.
Oh okay, you mean pre-existing staff members at Japan Studio who collaborated with external devs now work at XDev? If that's what you mean, I didnt say that. I just meant that this was all being handled by XDev now, not that they took some of those staff members. We have no real way of knowing if that is the case. All we know is that Sony said that those external productions would be concentrated within PlayStation Studios. Going back to how this relates to what we were initially discussing, we know for a fact that members of that collaboration arm of Japan Studio that worked on Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Deracine, no longer work for Sony. Specifically Masaaki Yamagiwa.

nial

Gold Member
I think you need to understand how Japan Studio functioned in the first place; it wasn't just a single team inside of Sony JP, but rather their whole development division (WWS) that included several studio departments dedicated to internal, external development, localization, technology stuff, etc.
What got shut down was the Internal Development Department -replaced by the Team Asobi-, while the External Development Department remained the same and started to use the XDEV brand in 2021.

Oh okay, you mean pre-existing staff members at Japan Studio who collaborated with external devs now work at XDev? If that's what you mean, I didnt say that. I just meant that this was all being handled by XDev now, not that they took some of those staff members. We have no real way of knowing if that is the case. All we know is that Sony said that those external productions would be concentrated within PlayStation Studios. Going back to how this relates to what we were initially discussing, we know for a fact that members of that collaboration arm of Japan Studio that worked on Demon's Souls, Bloodborne and Deracine, no longer work for Sony. Specifically Masaaki Yamagiwa.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

The people you're referring to there are producers, something that Japan Studio had too many of.

Why pay 15 producers when you're scaling down the number of games that you're funding? So the decision was made to let the producers go. A team at Asobi was kept and the external development team that works on the very games you're referring to we're retained and report up through xdev.

Sony XDEV's Japan Division Assisting with PS5's Rise of the Ronin

I think you need to understand how Japan Studio functioned in the first place; it wasn't just a single team inside of Sony JP, but rather their whole development division (WWS) that included several studio departments dedicated to internal, external development, localization, technology stuff, etc.
What got shut down was the Internal Development Department -replaced by the Team Asobi-, while the External Development Department remained the same and started to use the XDEV brand in 2021.

What a lot of these people don't realize is that so much of Japan Studio was already gutted when Team ICO left and then Team Gravity.

There wasn't a whole lot of internal development left. They were mostly left with a bunch of producers.

Look at games like Knack and see how many people from Japan Studio actually worked on the game development.

nial

Gold Member
What a lot of these people don't realize is that so much of Japan Studio was already gutted when Team ICO left and then Team Gravity.

There wasn't a whole lot of internal development left. They were mostly left with a bunch of producers.

Look at games like Knack and see how many people from Japan Studio actually worked on the game development.
Well, I don't agree with your last part (if I'm understanding you correctly), but the rest is accurate. Japan Studio IDD was just left with Moore's group (Puppeteer and Demon's Souls 2020) and ASOBI! Team at the end, and we know how it went after that.

near

Gold Member
Yes, I am aware that Japan Studio wasn't just a single team. I remember just reading that they were reorganized, and creative teams consolidated into Team Asobi. The rest into PlayStation studios. But the part I highlighted is news to me, at least in terms of members of Japan Studio moving under that specific umbrella.

You really don't know what you're talking about.

The people you're referring to there are producers, something that Japan Studio had too many of.

Why pay 15 producers when you're scaling down the number of games that you're funding? So the decision was made to let the producers go. A team at Asobi was kept and the external development team that works on the very games you're referring to we're retained and report up through xdev.

Sony XDEV's Japan Division Assisting with PS5's Rise of the Ronin
While you have a point in the fact that the guy I mentioned was a producer, he was pretty much working with the external development team for the most part.

It's late here I'm sleepy, its been fun, good night. I've derailed this thread enough. :)

Well, I don't agree with your last part (if I'm understanding you correctly), but the rest is accurate. Japan Studio IDD was just left with Moore's group (Puppeteer and Demon's Souls 2020) and ASOBI! Team at the end, and we know how it went after that.

My point is they weren't all that large when they closed the studio. I think some people make it sound like 150-200+ developers were laid off. That just isn't the case.

bigdad2007

I don’t know why fanboys get so excited about acquisitions. The second Sony,Tencent, or anyone else buys From, is the moment the studio dies. You will get maybe one more good game before the corporate accountants carve the place up to get their investment returns.

May peace reign over China/Japan relations…

Until the next time a barge full of UNIQLO shipments passes through the South China Sea

EDMIX

Look....business is business, for all we know Sony is doing this to get it all under 1 roof so when they make the buy out lol

There is this theory, that Riccitello only get the parent company that owns Bioware to buy Pandemic too, so that way when we joined EA, they can easily make the bid to buy the parent company to get both.

Just a theory, but a funny one lol

giphy.gif

Look....business is business, for all we know Sony is doing this to get it all under 1 roof so when they make the buy out lol

There is this theory, that Riccitello only get the parent company that owns Bioware to buy Pandemic too, so that way when we joined EA, they can easily make the bid to buy the parent company to get both.

Just a theory, but a funny one lol

giphy.gif

It makes sense. Ask yourself why would Activision sell the IP? There are a few considerations. There may have been a clause in the agreements that automatically triggered this or maybe From said, hey we're not making another elden ring for you, so you can either sell the IP or you can try and get another studio to make an Elden Ring 2 which won't go well, but we can pay you x amount for the IP or we can give you some sort of profit sharing for the rest of the life of the IP.

We'll see how aggressive Sony is going to be in this market. The thing people don't recognize about them is because they have so much revenue coming in, if they can cut costs and/or create more growth in alternate areas they can easily absorb the costs of a studio like this. It's a win-win for pretty much everyone involved.

FromSoftware could get Elden Ring 2 out MUCH more quickly with the help of Bluepoint.

Gojiira

It's not always who has the most money. There are a lot of reasons you wouldn't want to be bought out by Tencent especially.
Plus how Japanese law works, they would be more inclined to allow Sony to purchase rather than Tencent…Time will tell I guess

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Great news, super happy. Congratulations.

We ever getting an updated Bloodborne, or what?

Taking the piss this is.

Top Bottom