• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Judge said The Nintendo Switch is a competitor to the Xbox

skit_data

I'm actually a bit surprised FTC decided to go down this route instead of arguing gaming PCs could be considered a competitor to the three consoles, a platform where MS influence is no doubt much larger.

Closer

I'm actually a bit surprised FTC decided to go down this route instead of arguing gaming PCs could be considered a competitor to the three consoles, a platform where MS influence is no doubt much larger.

But then it would be MS Store vs Steam, and we know who's really bigger.

brian0057

Banned
They still would've lost. Windows may be the market leader but they don't have a monopoly. This is like when people say Steam is a monopoly.
Neither of them are. Being successful is not a crime.
And the term "gaming PC" makes no sense as any PC can be one, be it weak or powerful. The appeal of PCs is that they can do many things. And that includes gaming.
The truth is that the FTC never had a good case to begin with.

Kerotan

I imagine Kerotan Kerotan going ape shit trying to explain to this judge how Switch doesn't compete because it is not a traditional home console same as he went against Nautilus.
Let's not worry about Nautilisious because he's been laid to rest. RIP.

PS. My standing was always that Nintendo is an indirect competitor which if you look up the definition is literally a competitor.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Street Fighter Of Course GIF

StueyDuck

anyone who thought that 3 video game consoles that play video games aren't competing is an actual moron.

They are absolutely competitors, and if steam deck ever got big enough they would be part of the conversation too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It just highlights the mistake the FTC made by ignoring Series S and making the "high performance console" market the main console focus in regard to CoD. It never made sense considering there are people playing modern Activision games on Series S consoles that are not in the "high performance" segment. Series S and a docked Switch absolutely do compete for casual dollars and casual gamers do play Call of Duty.

Topher

Gold Member
Yes they are competitors in the video game market, but Xbox does not compete with Nintendo as closely as they compete with PlayStation. The games that are popular with Nintendo are not the same as the games that are popular on Xbox/PS. Just saying they are "competitors" is surface level analysis.

Last edited:
Microsoft need to decide who they are competing against. Maybe that’s why they’ve come last each and every time.
It's amazon and google, right? Which felt weird at the time, but is probably actually more true than pretending that Sony and Nintendo are really the end goal for MS in this play.

During the PS3/360/Wii generation I owned a PS3 and only a PS3.

Next consoles I bought were the Wii U and then the Switch.

If I didn't own a Switch, I'd buy a PS5 or Series X.

It's amazon and google, right? Which felt weird at the time, but is probably actually more true than pretending that Sony and Nintendo are really the end goal for MS in this play.
Their answer changes on who they are talking to.
Long play, yes, they want to get to be the cloud dominant player and own the IP to dictate the market. ABK is a step to that.

The Alien

Banned
Nintendo, Xbox, Playstation are all dedicated 'walled gardens". You need to live in their ecosystem to get content, updates, stores, etc.
(Which is why Nintendo is a console).

PC gives user freedom to choose their walled garden. Lol

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, MS can rest assured that when they struggle against Nintendo, they can just buy them, and Corley will be glad to approve of their purchase of a company smaller than ABK

/s

100% this. LOL! While I agree that Nintendo Switch competes with Xbox, the way she reached that conclusion is just dumb.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
If the Series S really existed as a means to alter regulatory comparisons to enable large scale industry acquisitions, Phil is out there playing 9D chess while the rest of us are eating checkers.

If the Series S was created for that reason......Phil would be a clown and one of the dumbest idiots on Planet Earth. No reason to set back a generation for what's capable just to buy big Publishers. Especially when it's not like the Series S would be "THE" reason why they'd allow a mega purchase like that.

Top Bottom