• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: a game about managing a spaceship in an infinite galaxy

MNC

http://www.ftlgame.com/

Saw this article on a game I hadn't heard about; FTL: Faster Than Light. It's exactly what the title implies, and to sell you on the product (To be released mid 2012) here's a story from PC Gamer. Sounds great.

To convince you why you should start looking forward to FTL, I’ve written about my experience with the game below. Read on to find out why doors are important in space.

Everything was going great, till I flew too close to the sun.

You have no way of knowing what each new area of space is going to hold before you jump to it. You could warp to a star and be attacked by pirates, or find a distress call from a stranded madman.
I come out of warp and arrive next to a supergiant class M star. Solar flares from the star are going to regularly strike my ship, damaging my systems, a message tells me. If I don’t get out of here quickly, I’ll be destroyed.

My FTL drive needs to recharge after each jump, so I can’t immediately warp away again. I need to survive long enough for the drive to recover. I also need to destroy the enemy currently attacking me.

It’s a small droid ship, impervious to the sun’s heat. I aim my lasers at its shields, take them down, and quickly blow up the ship with a missile to its engines. I’m lucky that it’s a weak enemy, but it managed to hit me once, starting a fire in my engine room.

Each room within the ship represents a different system, and with the engines disabled, my FTL drive won’t even begin to charge. I’m stranded above the supergiant star until I can get the engines back online, but the fire inside the room would kill my crew. It’s often like this; a quick battle, easily won, followed by a panicked and desperate attempt to fix all the problems. Your spaceship always feels fragile; a real tin can, floating in space.

You don’t need crew to open and close doors, and nothing puts out fires quicker than the vacuum of space. I remotely open two blast doors at the rear of my ship, extinguishing the fire instantly as all the oxygen is sucked from the rooms. If I can now get my crew members in there, they’ll be able to quickly repair the engine

Which is when a solar flare hits me. The flares do general damage across the entire ship, and I’m now on fire in two empty rooms, weapons and… And the room that contains the systems for opening and closing doors remotely. My engines are no longer on fire, but the doors inside the engine room are still open. No crew member can go in there to fix the still-broken engine without suffocating.

I tell two crew members, Jack and Gracie, to scramble through burning rooms to reach the door subsystem. They’re quick to repair it, and I got the doors closed. Just in time for another flare to hit.

Now more than half my ship is on fire. Shields are down, sickbay is burning, life support is down.

Shit. The life support system is what generates oxygen on your ship, and all the air is now slowly draining from every room. It also means that the oxygen was never fully replenished inside the engine room after I closed the doors. Going inside the engine room still means almost certain death.

I sent all three of my crewmembers in to the room anyway. Another solar flare would destroy the entire ship for sure, so there was no time to fix the life support and wait for the oxygen to replenish. We had nothing to lose.

Jack, Gracie, and pilot Kirby went inside and began to repair the engine. All of their health bars were ticking down from asphyxiation.

Jack died first, already hurt from the fires still spreading through the rest of the ship.

Gracie died next, just as my engine turned from red to orange. It was still only half fixed. “SOLAR FLARE IMMINENT” flashed on screen.

Kirby, my ship’s pilot, was the last man standing. He’d avoided the flames by remaining on the bridge, and he got the engine operational again.

Another solar flare hit, and my ship exploded.

http://www.pcgamer.com/preview/ftl-a-game-about-managing-a-spaceship-in-an-infinite-galaxy/

I played it & spent a bunch of time w/ one of the devs at GDC China. It's amazingly hardcore, but in a great way... and they have so many more good ideas they want to get into the game.

Worth keeping on the radar.

That sounds like a gut wrenching ride. Just watched the trailer linked, could be a very promising game, provided the risk situations and outcomes are varied enough.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
The description reminds me of star command another game in development but for smartphones.

Aegus

I shall name my ship Galactica and ensure that Cally dies first. Then plummet directly into the sun so that the ending will never happen.

Utako

Banned
Ah, it's a rogue-like...

I wish I liked rogue-likes. Massive innovation in that genre for the last several years, but I've always been bored near-immediately by them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Oh my god...if this lives up to even a fraction of the promise suggested by that summary I think I've found my new timesink.
Please tell me there are plenty of varieties of "ship"

Philthy

There was a game like this around 1990 that was mostly text based with some minimal graphics. Ran through DOS and the graphics were mostly all gauges and lines plotting across galaxies. Forget the name, but it was definitely nerdcore.

MNC

It is pretty terrible from an aesthetic standpoint but could be fun.

It kind of looks like a paint drawing instead of some nice pixel art, but it's still in alpha so who knows what happens. I know for sure sure this will get my purchase. It kind of seems like Zomboid/binding of isaac in the sense that you can have all kinds of deaths unfolding to you, and you can jump right back in and have a different playthrough.

Dunan

This doesn't leave me too excited:

Every journey ends with your inevitable death, as your crew is killed from one calamity or another.

I'd much rather see a goal of completing missions rather than just going until you die. Who would sign up to be a crew member on such a ship?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
That made me think of a new Elite or something, then I realised it's this "roguelike in a spaceship" thing I've already seen... Cool, but not what I got my hopes up for...

KKRT00

There is no coop, right? I cant find info, so probably not. What a pity, because i really like the concept.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I played it & spent a bunch of time w/ one of the devs at GDC China. It's amazingly hardcore, but in a great way... and they have so many more good ideas they want to get into the game.

These homies doing a MAC version? Would love it if games this ambitious hit MAC too.

Hmm. It's sort of like a Battlestar Galactica/Stargate Universe theme (in terms of plot), which I think could be really enjoyable, but the actual mechanics and graphics, from watching the trailer, are not what I expected.

Would rather have something like this with full 3D environments.

Soi-Fong

Aesthetically, it could do with some work, but the idea is spot on and interests me heavily. Thanks for informing me of this!

DiscoJer

It does sound like the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, having contrived situations just to be edgy.

I mean, really, a civilization has an FTL drive, but not enough sense to make their ship inflammable? Or have a fire control system?

Things like this seem to think that the rest of the ship would never advance past the Apollo stage...

I was really hoping to make it to GDC china to see this game and all the great talks. Everyone of the talks at the indie game summit looked amazing.

Luckily I at least got to see another talk about 4am in Kyoto. Plus it was playable!

Now someone just needs to convince this guy to run alpha fund style pre orders so I can get my hands on this ;)

Aselith

I'd prebuy it if they offered the option at a reasonable discount on their target full price. Oh, well. People should get on the Minecraft train though for reals.

deim0s

Interested and Mac availability is a plus.

Aside from killing the evil wiz... alien, infinitely upgrade the ship?

El Sloth

Banned
I've never played a rougelike before, but this sounds really cool. The game is still in pre-alpha so I'll give the visuals the benefit of the doubt.

Orayn

It does sound like the reboot of Battlestar Galactica, having contrived situations just to be edgy.

I mean, really, a civilization has an FTL drive, but not enough sense to make their ship inflammable? Or have a fire control system?

Things like this seem to think that the rest of the ship would never advance past the Apollo stage...

Can't have an entertaining Roguelike style game without dozens of fantastic ways to die. Also, there's always the excuse that FTL might be something that's actually stupidly easy to develop, and we just haven't come up with it yet for whatever reason.

Jintor

Give it to me now.

Call Brenden Cheung and Relic and combine Flotilla and Homeworld with it.

Spaceship management is a really cool thing I've been trying to work out in my head.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Sounds interesting. May not be exactly my cup of tea, but I'll buy day one just to support the ambition.

Top Bottom