• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fumito Ueda interview.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamereactor.es/articulos/553093/Fumito+Ueda+hacerse+indie+la+competencia+y+tres+humanos/

★ Last time we met you were still setting up your new team. How has the studio evolved since then? What is the structure of the company or the size of the team? In other words, how are you working on GenDesign right now?

In fact, since the last time we saw each other, there has not been a change that can be said to be considerable in our study. At that time we didn't give a presentation about what our company was like, but at a structural level I can tell you that we have a team of about ten people and that we continue to develop the same work. We have people dedicated to artistic creation and others to prototyping.

★ We know you can't tell us much about that new project you're working on, but almost a year ago, in January 2018, you shared what the fans interpreted as a couple of clues about the artistic direction that the new game would take. Can you say anything more about the new vision you have for that game?

Today I can not explain clearly or give details about the new work, the new videogame we are making. However, regarding its artistic style, it will be something similar to what we have been doing until now, although it will have some unique elements. And as for the genre of the game, or rather the world that appears in the game, we hope it will be something that will surprise players and fans of our games. We're working very hard right now to get there.

★ Has there been any change in how you approach game design in recent years? Do you have a different approach now to the design and narrative of the new project, or are you going to follow the same design philosophy [by subtraction] that you've taken all these years?

Until now every time we've created a new game - for example in the case of The Last Guardian - we've always tried to get a new game experience, but during the process and with the end result, there are always elements in common that remind us of other previous games.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I enjoyed all Ueda's games so I'm definitely interested whatever his working on next.

benjohn

Geez, With only ten people working on the game, we have to wait for a long time. I cannot wait already

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Geez, With only ten people working on the game, we have to wait for a long time. I cannot wait already

I thin GenDesign is always going to work on collaborations with other team providing the grunt of the production work and engine and tools while they look after art direction, game design, prototyping, etc... I wonder who they are working with now :).

Last edited:

kyussman

Day One!(whenever that is,lol).....................Ico,Shadow of the Colossus and The Last Guardian are the greatest trilogy in gaming for me,Ueda is a special talent.

ROMhack

I thin GenDesign is always going to work on collaborations with other team providing the grunt of the production work and engine and tools while they look after art direction, game design, prototyping, etc... I wonder who they are working with now :).

Probably correct. They're also financially being supported by Kowloon Nights, who I read about in a copy of Edge some months back.

He did say that he regretted TLG taking that long. Almost came across like he wish he hadn't undertaken the game had he known back then. But that might have been translation related bias.

plushyp

its mobile
IdolizedImmaculateDipper-size_restricted.gif

Ryu Kaiba

The Last Guardian solidified this man as one of my favorite creators of all time.
All of his products I feel have been ahead of their time in terms of this art form and in technological scale.
I can't wait to see what he's working on next and hope he one day his name garners the respect it deserves.

sublimit

Banned
Ueda is my favorite creator in the industry (along with Hidetaka Miyazaki) and he has never let me down so whatever he makes next i will be there on day 1.
As long as it's not VR related.

Last edited:

sublimit

Banned
The Last Guardian solidified this man as one of my favorite creators of all time.
All of his products I feel have been ahead of their time in terms of this art form and in technological scale.
I can't wait to see what he's working on next and hope he one day his name garners the respect it deserves.
I think he has garnered huge amounts of respect by industry people and fans who understood and appreciated his work for what it is.Especially during the PS2 days when this medium was still more about exploring unique ideas and ambition for game design rather than just a shallow lust for technical perfection,ultra-shiny and photorealistic graphics,and safe risk-free games,destined to be forgotten shortly after you play them. As long as he remains true to his self i don't think he will ever garner mainstream appeal among modern gamers.

Edit:Sorry for the double post i just realized i was the last one i posted. :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom