• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funimation launches anime streaming service, teaming with Crunchyroll.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malyse

With FunimationNow, the company hopes to close the gap between the release date of content in Japan, and here in the United States. Previously Funimation would have to wait for the home release versions of animes to be released in Japan before they could even begin working on a dub. Now, Funimation has been doing more “simuldubs” than ever before. What this means is, they can now dub content as it is being released in Japan, giving anime fans content as quickly as possible.

Not only that, but Funimation has announced a massive partnership with Crunchyroll.com. Crunchyroll has been providing anime streaming for years now, and is renowned for their subbed content. With this new partnership, Funimation has been given access to Crunchyroll subs to stream on FunimationNow, and Crunchyroll can now show Funimation dubbed content. This monumental deal has made anime more accessible, and plentiful than ever before.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/07/funimation-launches-anime-streaming-service/

interesting. is CR only getting Funimation's dub stuff or are they getting some other non-dub selections too?

this article is pretty bad, like the worst i've read in a long while

crunchyroll will be the home of funimation's subbed content going forward, while funimation will be dubbing some shows that crunchyroll gets licenses for

this article is pretty bad

crunchyroll will be the home of funimation's subbed content going forward, while funimation will be dubbing some shows that crunchyroll gets licenses for

OH SHIT.

I was thinking "Funimation had a streaming service for awhile now." This is actually pretty big news.

hamchan

Um, they've had an anime streaming service for years and years now though?

The Crunchyroll partnership news is not new too.

this article is pretty bad, like the worst i've read in a long while

nice! I need to work on my current back lot first thou.

Fox318

Mss6gQY.gif

Pretty amazing they are still trying to create a paid streaming service when there are so MANY free illegal anime streaming sites.

Lagamorph

So I've noticed today that whenever I try to open Funimation.com I get an error,

Error code 16
This request was blocked by the security rules

Have Funimation finally done something to block people from outside the US accessing the site via a VPN service? :(
I wouldn't mind as much but my damned subscription just renewed last month, and the UK service has barely a fraction of the content.

Giolon

So I've noticed today that whenever I try to open Funimation.com I get an error,

Error code 16
This request was blocked by the security rules

Have Funimation finally done something to block people from outside the US accessing the site via a VPN service? :(
I wouldn't mind as much but my damned subscription just renewed last month, and the UK service has barely a fraction of the content.

It's working for me. They've just cut over to their new website today last week it seems. (based on their funimationnow.com site)

StoneFox

Pretty amazing they are still trying to create a paid streaming service when there are so MANY free illegal anime streaming sites.
Most of those sites steal the videos from Crunchyroll and upload them in a worse quality though. CR is (an optionally) premium service for the speed and quality it provides, faansubs have a hard time competing.

Lagamorph

It's working for me. They've just cut over to their new website today last week it seems. (based on their funimationnow.com site)

I'm still getting errors when I try to open the US website whilst connected to a US server via NordVPN though.
If I disconnect and try to open the site I just get redirected back to the funimationnow.co.uk site.

This is what I get if I just browse to https://www.funimation.com/ whilst connected to VPN,

zbjtrsZ.jpg

Lagamorph

CR stays winning, i keep my annual sub with them since Funimation keeps making it harder and harder to watch when you aint from the US/CA

I was subscribed to Funimation for their dubs.

One of the biggest issues is that I can't even access the website to login and cancel my recurring subscription if they've made it totally inaccessible rather than just blocking the actual video content.

Giolon

I'm still getting errors when I try to open the US website whilst connected to a US server via NordVPN though.
If I disconnect and try to open the site I just get redirected back to the funimationnow.co.uk site.

This is what I get if I just browse to https://www.funimation.com/ whilst connected to VPN,

zbjtrsZ.jpg

Oh I see. I missed the external to US VPN part. I connect from a VPN often from within the US and it's fine.

I was subscribed to Funimation for their dubs.

One of the biggest issues is that I can't even access the website to login and cancel my recurring subscription if they've made it totally inaccessible rather than just blocking the actual video content.

clear up your cache or try with a different browser, maybe that helps. also if you can wait a day or two, it could be changing sites is causing some problems.

btw, if you have it through paypal cancel it through them.

Lagamorph

It's subscribed through my Credit Card, so the best I may be able to do is tell them to not allow the transaction next January.

Gonna contact NordVPN support to see if they can do anything too.
I normally access with Chrome so I can use Chromecase, but I did try with Edge too and got the same error, even though I've never accessed the site from Edge before.

Syncytia

I hope they start dubbing a lot more anime. Maybe I'm an idiot, but I hate reading subs.

Eh, just difference of taste I would say. I hate watching english movies or shows with subtitles and I don't understand why people who speak english would want to do that. But I'll take subbed Anime all day everyday instead of dubbed.

Lagamorph

Ok, bit of an update.

If I try to access whilst connected to NordVPN, totally blocked off.

But I remembered I never got around to cancelling my Getflix subscription, so I disconnected from VPN, put the Getflix DNS servers back into my LAN connection and....bam, straight in.
Weird, I'd have thought a simple DNS service would be what they'd go for rather than VPN services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom