• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Funko POP vinyl figures are the bane of my existence. And wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick primer for those unaware;

FunkoPOP Vinyl Figures - Features vinyl toy figures, some of which are also bobble heads (in the Star Wars and Marvel Comics series), modeled in a Japanese chibi style. Over 300 different characters have been produced from franchises such as Game of Thrones, Adventure Time (Cartoon Network and Frederator), Mickey Mouse (Disney Pop!) and Bart Simpson (Pop! TV) to movie icons such as Michael Myers (Pop! Movies) and Darth Vader (Star Wars Pop!), Spider-Man (Marvel Pop!), Batman (DC Pop!), and musicians from Elvis to Tupac (Pop! Rocks). Pop! Vinyl figures are most commonly 3.75 inches tall, and Funko also produces limited quantities of "Giant" 9 inch figures, 6 inch figures, and 2 inch "mini" figures of the most popular characters.

To summarize, they're small figures/bobbleheads with an absolutely massive amount of licensed brands. Marvel, Disney, Game of Thrones, The Hobbit, Walking Dead, Doctor Who, etc, etc, etc. Basically, if you like anything, odds are they will have something up your alley.

PopVinyls has a good list of them here

I saw them for the first time last year around Christmas time, and picked up a couple. I got the Rocky Balboa one and the invisible Bilbo Baggins one. Later on, I picked up the Iron Patriot/Iron Man 3 suit ones. So I haven't gone too deep yet.

...That being said, I'm starting to see them more and more in some stores I frequent (FYE, Target, etc), and they're starting to get more brands I want (GOTG, for example). Obviously, this ends in disaster.

Anybody else get sucked into the evil Funko Void? How many have you guys collected? Discuss~!

Edit: Here's my Instagram photo of my desk currently, for comparison's sake:

I don't know if it's too late, but I'm pretty sure I heard that this month's Loot Crate is going to have an exclusive Pop.

I don't collect them myself, but they're really cool. I personally liked the Mighty Muggs when they were around. I think they stopped making them though.

I don't know if it's too late, but I'm pretty sure I heard that this month's Loot Crate is going to have an exclusive Pop.

I don't collect them myself, but they're really cool. I personally liked the Mighty Muggs when they were around. I think they stopped making them though.
I heard about that, flew over to the site, and they're all sold out.

Unrelated, they put up GOTG Funko POPs on Disney Movie Rewards...a few days after I redeemed my points for some movie tickets. Defeated. :p
I really like the fact that they're so ubiquitous. You're not expected to collect em all, you just get the ones you like. But there are...so many. And they're only like 10 bucks too. It's a steep slope.

I actually just started making my own custom ones :). I love them!

WHAT

Aiii

So not worth it
Yep Bronson, pretty much. They're too cheap anyways, makes it way to easy to just keep adding to that basket and racking up a bill... :(

And now they're making an AJ Lee one...
Budco0JIYAAJjfu.jpg

Damn you Funko!

DarkKyo

I wouldn't mind owning a couple characters that I like, but I honestly don't find the figures very visually appealing. I do have to give them credit for picking up a ton of franchises and doing lots of characters(sometimes even more obscure characters) though.

Damn you Funko!

Bingo. They just have so many brands/made it just cheap enough to make it easy to get into. It's dangerous stuff.

I wouldn't mind owning a couple characters that I like, but I honestly don't find the figures very visually appealing. I do have to give them credit for picking up a ton of franchises and doing lots of characters(sometimes even more obscure characters) though.

I think the unified look works for some, but not all of them. It is good that they have -so- many franchises though. Keeps things fresh.

I recently saw this online and now I must have it:
Pop-Vinyl-Mass-Effect-Garrus.jpg

I think I saw that on Amazon?

Yup, I did.

HOT DAMN. Well done!

There were so many that I wanted ;_;

Guardians of The Galaxy (All 5 of them)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer (Like 4 or 5)
Monsters University (2)
Disney (Like... 10)
Mass Effect (2 or 3)
TMNT (4)

All that saved money and space.

That money is now going towards a Hot Toys Star-Lord :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I started buying these. Have a few Game of Thrones ones, Ninja Turtles, and Halo. They'll fit in great in my game room when I get it going.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
My desk at work.

qMv5Gym.jpg

I like these a lot. I feel comfortable leaving them on my desk unlike my $50 Japanese figures.

I like these a lot. I feel comfortable leaving them on my desk unlike my $50 Japanese figures.

Exactly. I have them on my desk at work too, they fall all the time, etc. It's no big deal because they're in the sweet spot price wise where I can replace them pretty easily if need be. Or just get a completely different one.

Tom_Cody

This is making me want to buy a bunch of Mystery Minis from Amazon. I can't decide between the Guardians series and the general Marvel series.

...Ok not really. But yeah I'm trying to wait until I either have enough Disney Movie Rewards points again to get some GOTG Pops, or for them to go on some sale.

That's what they're called!

I better not buy any of them, or I'll spend hundreds of dollars. :(

I've only got 4 so far, and that was because it was B1G1 Free at the two spots I went too. I got real lucky. Now, not so much.

This is making me want to buy a bunch of Mystery Minis from Amazon. I can't decide between the Guardians series and the general Marvel series.

I saw some of those; not sure if I like em. How are they?

U2NUMB

Yep me as well.. been collecting since 2012 and have over 400.. highest value one could go for 300-400 on ebay as there are only 96 ever made.

It is crazy how they have exploded the last year.. my first 2 years they were not even nearly as popular as they are now.

I have spent so much on them it makes me sick at times... I have given up getting them all and are now focusing on the Gaming ones along with all the Movies and some of the TV shows. The rest I plan on selling.

It hits all my OCD needs... boxes are all the right size... they are numbered AWWw

Also note they do retire them.. I have a Green Arrow one which I bought for 4 bucks that goes for 80+ on ebay. So if you see one you like make sure you buy it before it goes into full retirement

I also have at on of the Mystery Minis.. most are very well done. The recent ones are not nearly as rare its 1/12 so if you buy a case of 12 you get all of them.

Also if you are looking for a good shelf to store them in box you can get these at Ikea.. here is an old pic of some of my pops.

funkomay3.jpg

kaskade

I've never purchased one but I've been tempted to grab a batman one or something. I feel like I shouldn't cause I probably will want to purchase a bunch of them.

I have spent so much on them it makes me sick at times... I have given up getting them all and are now focusing on the Gaming ones along with all the Movies and some of the TV shows. The rest I plan on selling.

It hits all my OCD needs... boxes are all the right size... they are numbered AWWw

OH MAN. Sell me a few! :p

That's another question. Do you guys keep yours boxed or unbox? Currently I have mine unboxed, but if I got one relatively rare one, I'd keep it there.

Disney Movie Rewards UK don't do them.

This is an outrage!

USA! USA!

bobawesome

I can't say I really care for the way they look. Something's just off about them.

And how the hell does Black Butler have a set of them? Seriously?

I just do not understand the appeal of these.

If I could summarize it in one sentence;

Merchandise with a unified look (so everything matches) for almost every notable brand out there right now.

How good the figure looks varies (I love the invisible Hobbit/Iron Man ones, but Rocky looks derp), but since they all match, it's great for collection's sake. I have a BJ Penn figure, a Connor Kenway figure, and a Bruce Lee figure that don't match, so it throws it off a tad.

I bought Khaleesi (sp?) from Game of Thrones for a girl. She likes her. They are fun and silly, but I don't think I'd ever get one for myself.

Metalmarc

I think theyre cute, im a 32 year old man(child) i shouldnt be finding things cute.

I've got

Jay & Silent Bob
Luke from return of the Jedi with Green lightsaber
Darth Vader Bobblehead
Judge Dredd
Boba Fett

Oh and Jason Vorhees and nightwing

Bii

I only have a few and only buy ones I'm really interested in. I've taken some out of the box and a few are still sealed. Not sure how I want to display them since they look okay sitting in their boxes.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
If I could summarize it in one sentence;

Merchandise with a unified look (so everything matches) for almost every notable brand out there right now.

How good the figure looks varies (I love the invisible Hobbit/Iron Man ones, but Rocky looks derp), but since they all match, it's great for collection's sake. I have a BJ Penn figure, a Connor Kenway figure, and a Bruce Lee figure that don't match, so it throws it off a tad.

That makes sense if you like the look of them.

Do you have your own desk at work? That's the appeal to me. Plus they have a huge range of movie/tv/game characters.

I work from home now, but when I did have an office job I liked to have a clean desk. Helps my work flow.

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Yeah, I feel like the pop figures are really interesting just because their mix is so eclectic. I feel like I can be really choosey and just get ones that are really meaningful to me.

utpgzA5l.jpg

Peter Venkman, Guan Yu, Robocop, Donald Duck, Derrick Rose, Wicket, Raphael---I wonder what they do when I go away and they come alive like Toy Story.

I've got the Dark Knight Rises Selina Kyle and 60's tv series Catwoman sitting on my desk.

They need the Mortal Kombat license so I can get a little Kitana.

chris121580

My desk at work.

qMv5Gym.jpg

Haha love the Lebowski one. I need to get that. I have 4 on my work desk from Game of Thrones including a larger sized Tyrion. They're really addicting

That makes sense if you like the look of them.

Yupyup. Basically, they live and die on the look, though. If it doesn't catch you, nothing of that brand will. Bit risky.

I agree OP.

Yo fuck you Supes~! *throws stuff*

Yeah, I feel like the pop figures are really interesting just because their mix is so eclectic. I feel like I can be really choosey and just get ones that are really meaningful to me.

Exactly. I can pick and choose, since there's so many. Rocky is Philly, I love Iron Man, and Bilbo is hiding. Boom! :p

Metalmarc

Woah Return of the Jedi Luke is going for £30-£50 on ebay and someones selling via marketplace on amazon UK for £99 only had him 2 months (paid £11)

I have bought so many of these. I sprung for the entire Series 5 or whatever of Disney, and I just checked a couple weeks ago and found out they have put out two or three more series since then.

I'm done. I can't do it anymore. I just can't.

BTW, I am so lucky that the Star Wars ones were bobble heads and I dislike bobble heads. Otherwise, I'd be about $200 more broke.

I need to figure out if I can sell my collection before I go insane.

This is why I got into them but I need to stop.

I will try to post my collection of them. I have so many Disney ones. Just...no more. Please, for my own sake. No more.

Metalmarc

I need some matrix ones Neo, trinity, morpheus, the ghost twins etc

And i'm gonna get all the classic Universal Monster Ones next Month, wallet am cry indeed

Subbing for future reference

BTW, I am so lucky that the Star Wars ones were bobble heads and I dislike bobble heads. Otherwise, I'd be about $200 more broke.

Yeah, I think only the Marvel/Star Wars ones are bobbleheads atm. The Rocky/Bilbo Baggins ones definitely aren't. But yeah, post it up! That'd be awesome to see. I just bought a Michaelangelo one for 6 bucks off eBay, and I'm trying to resist the urge to get a Tali one. And don't even get me STARTED on the GOTG ones

These are mine:

I only buy Hulks. They need a grey Hulk.

Wait, they did a half and half one?!

daveo42

Banned
I got an Ice King one from Adventure Time on my desk, but that's about it. I've done a good job in avoiding buying these figures up as I don't see them that often in the wild. I'd probably pay good money though for some Persona vinyl toys from Funko. I don't make enough cheddar to afford actual Japanese figures.

sca2511

I really like them. They're cute and they stand out, I really want to get the GoTG set. My only gripe is that the paint jobs aren't consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom