• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fuse (formally OverStrike) Re-Reveal (and Impressions), releasing Q1 2013

Loudninja

He is, mostly. You'll tank around with your primary shield and protect your team mates as they use you for portable cover. He can also drop a temporary shield for people, which works wonders if you want to split up and flank enemies (specifically the big robot).

He's really great when it comes to close combat and support, but sometimes it just isn't as exciting as it could be. It's tons of fun in Fuse mode though, blowing guys to bits with the shield burst (think a giant sonic wave of bullets and air that rips enemies to pieces).

He's also the center of a lot of the shared XP stuff. For instance, I don't think there are anyways for Jacob to received shared XP, as all of his actions kill enemies, best I can tell. Same with Naya, actually. Izzy can get it if someone else destroys her crystallized enemies, and Dalton if you kill people through his shields.
Ah that is the character for me than,I enjoy those roles.

He is basically the soldier from R2 I guess.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
  • Enemy reactions when shot were lacking.

That's disappointing to hear. I hope they take that criticism to heart and work on it.

Hit Stun/reaction is probably the most important part of a shooter to me. It's why I liked Vanquish and Binary Domain(where shooting enemies with a rifle will make them reel back from the impact and break apart) and couldn't get into games like gears and borderlands (where enemies don't really react to shots at all. Save for ragdolling when caught in explosions or just gibbing from point blank shotgun shots)

8byte

Banned
If that's the case then they chose a terrible set of screenshots to release first. Why not offer screenshots that show the variety the game presents? Either way, it's their mistake.

Probably because this is one of the earliest areas in the game, and is probably the most feature complete, visually. That's what I'd guess, at least.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
That said, it really is concerning to me that people are leagues more interested in the art style than they are the game itself. Next generation is fucked with precedents set like this.
Uh-huh, uh-huh.

The reason people are focusing on the aesthetic is because it was changed from what it appeared to be originally: something appealing. Now it appears to be a generic looking shooter. Cue outrage. If IG kept the same tone as the original pitch this thread would be filled with people hyped for the co-op gameplay. That same gameplay may be present but now the product is different from what people want.

I'm not sure if I was ever going to buy the game, I only became aware of it from the previous thread. As an outside observer I can easily see their original pitch was more appealing. Of course, I'm still waiting for footage of gameplay.

Sydle

The art style change doesn't bother me, but I am concerned for Insomniac launching a new IP next spring. Pushing it back a year or so would give it a chance to survive on the new consoles and establish a new franchise. It seems like they're sending it to die.

8byte

Banned
That's disappointing to hear. I hope they take that criticism to heart and work on it.

Hit Stun/reaction is probably the most important part of a shooter to me. It's why I liked Vanquish and Binary Domain(where shooting enemies with a rifle will make them reel back from the impact and break apart) and couldn't get into games like gears and borderlands (where enemies don't really react to shots at all. Save for ragdolling when caught in explosions or just gibbing from point blank shotgun shots)

Yea, some things were really fantastic. The ragdoll physics were very good, especially when Dalton slams someone into a wall, they smack it and slide down or bounce very convincingly (and it looks satisfying).

Enemies don't really scream or move when you shoot them with Naya or Izzy. They'll stumble from time to time, but not much. I think with the destruction their weapons cause, some vocal response from enemies would be a huge huge plus. Jacob's charge shot is pretty good, considering it'll pin enemies to walls (if it's a killshot).

8byte

Banned
For interest what platform was demoed?

It was running on a PC environment (since it's still in development). We were using 360 controllers, mainly because they are easier to use on PC (signed drivers, etc).

There is no lead platform, per Insomniac Games. Completely new engine (and not Gamebryo "new").

Coconut

Banned
What have we learned today? That you shouldn't release a trailer until you're ready to show the finalized design.

i8PlRkJHfbxWB.jpg

Borderlands says, hi.

8byte

Banned
It is because the developer used to make exclusive games and are now multiplatform. I think the game looks awesome.

Well, I'm no platform loyalist ;) (Assuming that post was referring to me). I think I've tried to explain my uh...enthusiasm...enough, and everyone has had their fill of that nonsense. :p

Akainu

I'm no games journalist. I was just there as a fan to play the game. Insomniac invited roughly 15 of us.

Aesthetic can only take you so far. Mechanics are much more important, otherwise titles like Tetris, Mario, Bejeweled, Pac-Man, etc, wouldn't be as successful to this day. Mechanics and fun matter most, to me.
But those games have great aesthetics why can't we have both?

The art style change doesn't bother me, but I am concerned for Insomniac launching a new IP next spring. Pushing it back a year or so would give it a chance to survive on the new consoles and establish a new franchise. It seems like they're sending it to die.

My only concern for the game is going up against Gears and that being co-op as well.

8byte

Banned
My only concern for the game is going up against Gears and that being co-op as well.

This is my concern as well, though it is releasing on 2 platforms instead of one, which should help it achieve more success. It'll also depend on if it releases before (which would mean first or second week of March, I think?) or after.

Either way, it could be a messy launch, depending on how EA handles it (ref: Marketing and promotion).

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Just tell me you didn't change it because of focus group feedback. I'll settle for that.

it really wasn't focus group feedback. The weapons weren't getting to the level they needed to be when we were still looking at a T-rated game. It wasn't satisfying enough.

We really had to unleash ourselves as a team to make them even crazier and more satisfying to use. When that happened, it was incredible how everything started to gel. That's how we knew we were on the right path, whenever we finally get on the right path, things come together so fast and feel so good.

the trailer that was supposed to hit this morning shows some of the insanity with the weapons. dying to release it.

sleepykyo

I genuinely feel like enthusiasts here have largely lost their passion for gaming. It has instead been replaced with cynicism, sales obsessions, and an appreciation for the art in games. I'd feel differently if more than 10 people were remotely interested in discussing how the game actually played. Unfortunately, there has been almost none of that, so I'm left to believe that no one really cares about playing the games, just seeing how pretty they are and how well / poorly they sell.

Looks have always mattered. Btw, all the games that you mentioned looked good at the time.

And after R2 and its glowing impressions, can you really blame people for being wary of the pre-release hype?

8byte

Banned
Looks have always mattered. Btw, all the games that you mentioned looked good at the time.

And after R2 and its glowing impressions, can you really blame people for being wary of the pre-release hype?

Well, considering most of "them" didn't give R3 a shot..yes, I can :p I think everyone can admit that R2 wasn't the greatest game (it also wasn't completely shit, as some would suggest). R3 was definitely a vastly superior title, and among the best released in 2011.

Like I said though, visuals matter, but I just think people are placing too much emphasis on them at this point, forgetting what really matters. Fun.

it really wasn't focus group feedback. The weapons weren't getting to the level they needed to be when we were still looking at a T-rated game. It wasn't satisfying enough.

We really had to unleash ourselves as a team to make them even crazier and more satisfying to use. When that happened, it was incredible how everything started to gel. That's how we knew we were on the right path, whenever we finally get on the right path, things come together so fast and feel so good.

the trailer that was supposed to hit this morning shows some of the insanity with the weapons. dying to release it.

I don't understand why you need to bump it to M to make the weapon satisfying. some of Ratchet weapons are far more satisfying to use than Resistance weapons. anyway, I never doubt Insomniac's ability to make great weapons, just wish the game have more personality than the initial screenshot suggests.

Loudninja

I don't understand why you need to bump it to M to make the weapon satisfying. some of Ratchet weapons are far more satisfying to use than Resistance weapons. anyway, I never doubt Insomniac's ability to make great weapons, just wish the game have more personality than the initial screenshot suggests.
I disagree Resistance weapons were more satisfying.

Nice visual impact using weapons such as the rossmore.

TrutaS

I hate to bash Insomniac the way Gaf likes to do, but being Spyro the Dragon one of my all-time favourites I think they are focusing on the wrong audience for their skillset.

Guys you KNOW this is generic art and style, and I know you know because you have been in the top for creativity. Hopefully the levels are varied and more colors will pop and soundtrack feels original.
Please bring back the sense of wonder you gave me with Spyro..

Ps: I really have to play that game again somehow...

Edit: If someone on the teams reads gaf, I hope you know everyone actually cares for the company a lot and truly wants you to suceed, I think this thread only shows that people are worried, despite some hateful comments ( different coping strategies).

8byte

Banned
I'd love to know what platform it was shown on as well. A developer can claim there is no lead platform all they want, but the version they show publicly is always an indication that they think that is the best version of the game.

I said it earlier, but it was running on a PC, not a console. Development environment.

sleepykyo

Well, considering most of "them" didn't give R3 a shot..yes, I can :p I think everyone can admit that R2 wasn't the greatest game (it also wasn't completely shit, as some would suggest). R3 was definitely a vastly superior title, and among the best released in 2011.

Like I said though, visuals matter, but I just think people are placing too much emphasis on them at this point, forgetting what really matters. Fun.

Fun (in regards to games) isn't seen. It is experienced. Visuals are seen.

When/if a demo is out you'll get your game play discussion.

I said it earlier, but it was running on a PC, not a console. Development environment.

Then that makes me question this March 2013 date even more. You'll almost never see a game being demoed 6 months before it's release date and not be running on the actual console hardware.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Then that makes me question this March 2013 date even more. You'll almost never see a game being demoed 6 months before it's release date and not be running on the actual console hardware.

the game runs on both consoles already, but we're of course still optimizing for both. We wanted to give an example of what the final experience will be like for the folks attending. The PC / dev environment is targeted to the PS3/X360.

8byte

Banned

Or maybe they just didn't have nearly a dozen 360 systems in the studio, where as they had plenty of PC's capable of running it? Work smart not hard? Clearly they have development kits in house and they can run it on those at a whim. It makes no sense to spend development time to make a console demo for a private showing to press and select others. Just snag PC's and run what you've been developing in that environment.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Game sounds awesome. I loved R3's co-op and this sounds like a blast. Hopefully my luck for getting into Insomiac betas keeps up because I'd love to try this.

the game runs on both consoles already, but we're of course still optimizing for both. We wanted to give an example of what the final experience will be like for the folks attending. The PC / dev environment is targeted to the PS3/X360.

I sure hope that does not mean poor PS3 performance. I mean, Resistance 3 is sub HD after all...

Deadbeat

Banned
What resolution/framerate did you demo the game at? What resolution/framerate will the final game be running at?

8byte

Banned
I sure hope that does not mean poor PS3 performance. I mean, Resistance 3 is sub HD after all...

the game didn't have any motion blur when we played it, which is mainly what crippled Resistance 3's resolution, IIRC. Motion blur is pretty taxing. It should be fine.

What resolution/framerate did you demo the game at? What resolution/framerate will the final game be running at?

Not that I'd know, but I'd guess 720p 30fps based on what I saw. Who knows about the final game, there's still 6 months until release, kind of early to ask what it WILL be running at. I'd say probably the same, 720p and 30fps.

Jhriad

Oh hey I remember OverStrike looking pretty cool with a lot of character...

*checks out the screens*

Ehhhhhhh

Also, Overstrike was a better name.

Li Kao

I never said you're a "bad" person.

I'd just rather taste a food first before calling it nasty.

Well it's certainly a noble way of living, I won't argue with you on that. I would just like people to stop using the judgemental card here (not gonna happen).

Because for me, and yeah it's just personnal opinion, that's missing the point. We judge, we judge continuously, basing our judgement with the information at our disposal and our past experiences, and I tend to think it's a necessary and essential part of living.
And what makes us some somber idiot is not the fact that we judge, but our inability to change that judgement based on further elements down the line, if the change is necessary.

So I reclaim the right to think that I liked the trailer a whole lot better, that by the 4 shots the game is uninteresting design-wise, that an user positive input is nice and all but just that... and that if the trailer is solid I will gladly change my tune.
Without being labelled a graphic whore or a casual gamer. Would be cool. Again, not gonna happen.

Damn, you guys were right w/ your initial woes. It is going for a more serious tone. Very disappointing and honestly it does make me not want the game as much. Maybe due to the Team Fortress 2 robot update they wanted to differentiate themselves?

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Combat still sounds great and unique but man it does feel like they completely sucked the soul out of the visuals and tone.

This is kinda where the complaints come from though. The previous artstyle really conveyed fun and set it apart from most shooters. If you made The Incredibles with realistic character models and graphics it would be a less fun movie too I think.

nemesun

The dude gets invited to an event, creates a thread about said event, acts like a PR in it by disparaging folks who're skeptical about the event in question and keeps slighting 'em by saying "you weren't there man". Lovely.

The concept behind the game sounds interesting, the overall look of it not so much.

8byte

Banned
The dude gets invited to an event, creates a thread about said event, acts like a PR in it by disparaging folks who're skeptical about the event in question and keeps slighting 'em by saying "you weren't there man". Lovely.

The concept behind the game sounds interesting, the overall look of it not so much.

I've never seen a PR person as...confrontational as myself. If my posts come across as PR, then this industry has serious issues, haha.

I am in no way affiliated with Insomniac Games. Just disappointed with how shallow gaming communities can be.

Top Bottom