• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fyre Fraud: The Enfraudening

MC Safety

Hulu's got a new documentary on the Fyre Festival and its creator Billy McFarlane. Fyre Fraud documents the involved scheme to defraud the public with a barely-there music festival.

It's an interesting documentary, one that focuses more on the fraudulent actions of McFarlane than the actual festival. There's also a lot of malicious glee aimed at milennials who bought into the event (and also promoted it before the fact). McFarlane sits down for an interview, although the guy not commenting on the magnitude of his criminal deceit is the least interesting piece of the puzzle.

I enjoyed watching it, but it gets heavy-handed, especially toward the end. I'd also have liked more anecdotal information from the people who went to the event who weren't "influencers." Their story gets lost in a big way. And the documentary spends way too much time, for some reason, lingering on interview subjects pauses and stares into space, as well as on an out-of-place interview with a psychologist who explains con men have magnetic personalities.

The best part of the documentary is the commentary of the Jamaican bartender who gets roped into everything. He was directed to steal back the confiscated Fyre Festival merchandise the Jamaicans took for unpaid customs fees.

As a side note, I hate the word influencer.

EDIT: McFARLAND. Oops.

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
thread was epic:

Edit: oops
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/luxu...-turns-into-lord-of-the-flies-sequel.1365463/

img_2253dcu8k.jpg

img_2252xwurq.jpg

Last edited:

MC Safety

Netflix has produced its own documentary on Fyre. I think it's scheduled to debut this week.

It's one-upsmanship, maybe? Or a remarkable coincidence?

Last edited:
Top Bottom