• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-A-F? 14 year-old girl charged with baby murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
don't agree with her being charged as an adult. think she could still be a member of society after some years of therapy and making sure she never does something similar. then again that would be trying too hard and the u.s courts would rather just toss somebody in jail and forget about them.

Zaph

She needs mental help.

A prison sentence will do nothing positive for society or her as one day she'll eventually be released with none of her issues addressed, but instead, most likely exacerbated.

wtf I don't know about you but at 14 I had something called a brain and knew right from wrong and I expect other 14 year olds to at least have that.
There are situations when people stop thinking with their brains and start thinking with their guts/heart/penis/whatever. Few people are rational 100% of the time.

Looking at the article, it does seem to be a couple of months old.

Why do all of these disturbing threads always seem to be about old news?

The odd thing is I just heard about this for the first time on the radio this morning as well. Some reason it just recently catch more attention?

Bo-Locks

It is disturbing, but not exactly uncommon, or rather, not unheard of. Infanticide and hiding the pregnancy are more common with teenagers, and is clearly the result of deeper underlying mental issues. Those issues need to be addressed and prison isn't the best place to do that.

I hope the parents get charged with something also.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was some abuse some where in there...

no child should be so terrified of their parents that they are forced to come to such a decision.

I assume it's allowed since she's tried as adult ?

I suppose so. This subject is beyond me, honestly. If someone is not yet 18 do we try them as adults based on the shocking and/or violent nature of their crime? Could a 5-year-old do something shocking and horrible enough to spend the rest of its life in incarceration of some sort? A 10 year old? What's the cut-off point for kids who can not and will not ever be tried as adults?

This is the saddest thing I have read ever. Lock that girl up, probably lock her mother up for neglect. Someone should have given that child a chance.

aparisi2274

florida.gif

Bgamer90

Banned
Man, the story starts with "Florida". Shouldn't laugh at that due to the story but I'm not afraid to admit that I did chuckle a bit.

Kenai

dna testing proved her daddy was the newborns father.

F
L
O
R
I
D
A

If this is for real she shouldn't be given the death penalty or anything like that. That's way too f*cked up of a situation for any 14 year old to be expected to deal with calm and rationally. Even if false, i dunno what to make of this. Just horrible all around.

sangreal

So why didn't she get an abortion since as a 14-year old she would have been in no position to take care of the child being one herself? Oh... That would have been also been murder, right?

Thank parental notification laws for that one

following months of fearfully disguising her pregnancy from her mother and father.
FLORIDA'S PARENTAL NOTIFICATION OF ABORTION REQUIREMENT

Florida State law requires a parent or legal guardian of a minor seeking an abortion to be notified 48 to 72 hours before the abortion is performed by the physician performing the abortion or a referring physician. Parents or legal guardians do not need to be notified prior to your preliminary visit. A parent or legal guardian may waive their right to this notification by completing a waiver form. This form must be notarized. THIS LAW DOES NOT REQUIRE PARENTAL CONSENT, just that a parent be notified. There are some exemptions to this law. Minors who have had “the disability of non-age” removed are exempted. This includes: a) Minors who are currently or have been married, b) Minors with dependent children, c) Minors who have been emancipated by court decree, d) Minors who have obtained a judicial bypass. Documentation is required for all of the above circumstances.

If you are a minor seeking an abortion at our clinic, you must either bring your parent, legal guardian, or notarized waiver with you to the actual abortion procedure appointment (along with your photo ID, their photo ID, and official documentation that they are your parent or legal guardian) or petition the court for a judicial bypass. Unless you petition the court, your parent or legal guardian must sign a form stating that they are aware of your decision. They do not have to agree with your decision but must be made aware.
http://www.northfloridawomenshealth.com/parentalnotification.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom