• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The story about how a Missouri man was wrongfully convicted of killing his wife is such an infuriating miscariage of justice

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Here's a dateline episode here that covered the case recently

https://www.ksdk.com/article/news/c...miere/63-246ba499-e106-4f9b-a7c6-b9cdfee7fd41
LINCOLN COUNTY, Mo. (KMOV.com) – After increased attention across the country focused on Pamela Hupp, the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office has released the entire Major Case Squad report on the case of Elizabeth "Betsy" Faria.

Faria was fatally stabbed on Dec. 27, 2011. Her husband, Russell Faria, was charged in connection with the murder but was acquitted in 2015.

Faria’s case is back in the spotlight after a Dateline podcast and two-hour television special Friday on Hupp, who was a co-worker of Betsy Faria.

Days before her death, and unbeknownst to her family, Betsy Faria changed the sole beneficiary of her $150,000 life insurance policy from her husband to Hupp.

I'm going to do my best to summarize the case.

Betsy Faria was a woman who lived in Troy, Missouri with her husband, Russell "Russ" Scott Faria, and two daughters from a previous relationship.

Betsy and Russ
578ea8c410463.image.jpg

She had been diagnosed with breast cancer and recently found out that the cancer had metastasized to her liver and was terminal. On December 27, 2011, Betsy Faria underwent a chemotherapy session and then visited her mother's house, after which she was driven home by a friend named Pam Hupp, making Hupp the last confirmed person to have seen her alive.

Pam Hupp
promo279952223.jpg

Betsy's husband came home and found his wife dead in a gruesome crime scene.

Betsy Faria had been stabbed over 55 times with her arms almost entirely severed and the murder weapon, a serrated kitchen knife, left lodged in her neck

Investigators charged the husband with murder after a ridiculously long interrogation where they tried to convince Russ that he killed his wife.

On December 22, 2011, unbeknownst to her family, Betsy Faria had changed the sole beneficiary of her $150,000 State Farm life insurance policy from her husband to Pam Hupp. Pam stated that Betsy wanted her to have the money to then give to the daughters. The prosecutions motive for the murder was a benificiary change that he wasn't even aware of. It's very likely that Pam bullied Betsy into changing the policy. It would make more sense for Betsy to just leave her own daughters as the beneficiary.

The case went to court. Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer didn't allow for any mention of the life insurance policy or for Russ' lawyer to bring up that Pam was the likely murderer. The prosecution team were surprised that Pam hadn't given the money to Betsy's daughters still years later and requested that she put the money into a trust for the daughters before the case started 'or it would look bad'.

Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer
5b6b7ee0a9571.image.jpg

The trial judge, Chris Mennemeyer, refused to allow Schwarz to present evidence implicating Hupp as an alternative suspect[9], including cellphone records showing that Hupp had been in the vicinity of the Faria house for up to 30 minutes after the time she had claimed to drop her off at or the fact of Hupp being named as sole beneficiary of the life insurance policy shortly before the murder.[

So here's where things get extra fucky. Russ Faria had a rock solid alibi. Betsy Faria's time of death was around 7 PM. He had been at a friends house watching movies and playing board games with 4 other friends all night until 9 PM. Stopped off at an Arby's on his way home. Then found his wife dead at 9:40 PM.

The dumb jury somehow found him guilty of murder and sentenced him to a life sentence + 30 years.

In 2014 (Russ had been in prison since January 2, 2012, the day after his wife's funeral) an expose by a local newspaper found that Pam Hupp had still not given the money to Betsy's daughters and had taken the money out of the trusts setup before the court case. A judge, Steven Ohmer, that isn't as dumb as Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer allowed for a retrial because of this new information.

In February 2014, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch published an exposé revealing that the $150,000 received by Hupp had been kept by her rather than put into a trust for Betsy Faria's daughters and that Hupp had made contradictory statements during her interviews with police, initially claiming she had not entered the Faria house after driving her home and then revising this account twice. The exposé featured an interview with the 9-1-1 operator who had taken Russ Faria's call, who stated that she believed his hysterical state upon making the call was genuine.

The exposé also claimed that prosecuting attorney Leah Askey had been in a relationship with Mike Lang, the then-captain of investigations for the Lincoln County Police and one of the investigating officers in the Betsy Faria murder case, who testified against Russ Faria in his trial.

Stupid as fuck lead prosecutor Leah Askey is recorded on video talking to Pam Hupp, the fucking murderer, complaining about Russ requesting a retrial and how it was "wasting tax payer money" and that he was a sore loser.

Lead prosecutor Leah Askey
4ef21b1207dfb.image.jpg

The retrial commenced and Russ asked for Trial by Judge. The judge found in favor of Russ and overturned the conviction.

Yet somehow they still didn't charge Pam Hupp.

The story doesn't end here.

In 2016 Pam Hupp was back in the news. She was supposedly a "victim" of an "attempted robbery" and house break in. She shot a man she claims accosted her at her parked car in the driveway demanding her to drive to the bank to retrieve "Russ' money". She claimed she batted away the knife he was holding and fled into her house. She claimed that the man followed her into her house and she then shot him dead. The dead man had scribbled notes with planned out steps on getting "Russ' money".

The man she killed had been mentally and physically disabled since a car accident years earlier. Cameras and witness testimony also found that Pam Hupp tried to lure two other people into her car, stating she worked for "Dateline" and that she'd give them $1,000 to make a quote for the program. She likely enticed the victim, Louis Gumpenberger, with an offer of money and shot him when they went into her house.

Because of the incompetence of Prosecutor Leah Askey and Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer a murderer had gone free and then that murderer went and killed a mentally disabled man.

On June 19, 2019, Hupp entered an Alford guilty plea to the charges of first-degree murder and armed criminal action, waiving her right to a jury trial. She only did this to prevent herself from getting the death penalty. Besides trying to lure in other people before the victim, cell phone triangulation found her having been at Gumpenberger's apartment's location before the murder occurred. She also did really dumb things like putting a carpet swatch at the spot where she murdered him, which the prosecution team obviously figured she did this so blood didn't stain her carpet.

But the story doesn't even stop there.

It's very very highly likely Pam Hupp killed her own mother in 2013. Pam's mother Shirley Neumann had died from falling off her balconey. An anonymous tip at the time implicated Pam as the murderer with a motive of life insurance money, but she was never charged for the murder. An autopsy found that she had .84 micrograms of the sedative Zolpidem in her blood; over eight times the expected concentration for someone having taken a normal dose. Dateline reexamined the scene of Shirley's death. Instead of falling over the balcony, Shirley had fallen through the banister. For her to have fallen this way she would have had to have fallen forward, slid, and then exerted a force several times her own body weight in order to bend the banister railings found bent on the ground.

Because of the sheer incompetence of Prosecutor Leah Askey and Judge Chris Kunza Mennemeyer a murderer had gone free. That murderer went and killed a mentally disabled man and elderly woman.

They were both voted out in August 2018 by county voters.

Last edited:

AlphaMale

Yeah, watched the Dateline episode. It's incredibly frustrating to watch and see her smug face when so much injustice has been done to so many others by her.

The fact that anyone has even the slightest expectation of justice in life is as comical as the utter lack of justice. Best grab your ankles, because sooner or later you're getting bent over. Hopefully not as savagely as this poor guy, although he at least had some measure of relief in the end. Not everyone is so "fortunate".

lil puff

I've seen some investigative cases and judgments go wrong, but this is all over fishy and messed up.

He would have had receipts from Arby's I assume, and they generally investigate if he would have had time to be at Arby's then drive over to kill his wife?

I may have missed something in the OP about that. Usually a solid alibi is checked on the husband/spouse right away and clears him right there.

-Minsc-

If I'm reading correctly the fellow is now free correct? Sounds like he fared well compared to other wrongful convictions. Scary stuff.

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Wow, quite a story. My wife and I love this sort of thing, I’ll have to tell her.

it’s insane how so many stupid things can happen that make you just scratch your head.

lil puff

Fuck this world.

A shit justice system.
Clowns investigating the case.
Morons finding him guilty.

Thank fuck he's free now (he should sue someone/something for the part of his life lost to this bullshit)
I've seen plenty of cases go cold for decades even and investigators never give up on justice, and eventually get it for the families of victims. Usually waiting for new forensics methods, or quite often someone after years will finally drop a case breaking tip.

This one is fucked up, it does happen, but I believe there are way more where justice is served after investigators truly bust their ass. Most of them really do care.

The fact that anyone has even the slightest expectation of justice in life is as comical as the utter lack of justice. Best grab your ankles, because sooner or later you're getting bent over. Hopefully not as savagely as this poor guy, although he at least had some measure of relief in the end. Not everyone is so "fortunate".

I agree.

I know someone in irl who got accused being a murderer, because he found a stabbed dead body in a container, in a factory, where he worked. The accused came from a relatively poor family, and the people who did they hardest to prosecute him knew this, so they thought this would be an easy job, because if there is no money, then there is no lawyer (a state assigned lawyer would tell you that you should take a plea deal in this case) and if theres is no lawyer he can't prove his innocence and they can get an another solved case for the statistics. He was taken to jail for a few months, where the prosecutor got his cell mate to falsely testify in court about him with some utter BS. Long story short, his family managed to find a pretty good lawyer who did this case pro bono, and eventually he managed to get free, and his name was cleared once again.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wow, quite a story. My wife and I love this sort of thing, I’ll have to tell her.

it’s insane how so many stupid things can happen that make you just scratch your head.
I'd definitely recommend watching the Dateline special then. There's a lot of other little details I wasn't able to fit in. One is that the knife she supposedly "batted away", a regular chef's knife, was lodged perfectly between the car seat and center console. Investigators noticed that Pam Hupp kept her own kitchen knives lodged in the same way between her oven and counterspace face down.

Another is that one of the witnesses actually did get into her car. That witness was also the one that had cameras recording on the front of her property. When Pam Hupp parked in front of the house, claimed to be with Dateline NBC and actually gave the name of an actual producer at Dateline (Who is also the producer of the Pam Hupp episode), the witness got into her car but then thought something didn't feel right and asked if they could go back because she "forgot" to lock her front door. When she got out of the vehicle the witness told Pam that she wasn't getting back in.

She also tried to commit suicide when being interrogated about Louis Gumpenberger's murder. She palmed a pen on the table when the investigators left for a minute and then asked to use the bathroom. She then left a bloody mess when she tried to stab herself several times in the neck.

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
This one is fucked up, it does happen, but I believe there are way more where justice is served after investigators truly bust their ass. Most of them really do care.

I did jury duty in St. Louis city -- whose court system I would not expect to rank tremendously high as far as US systems go -- and actually came away with a lot more respect for the courts.

It was all very carefully handled, from the judge to the lawyers to the jury.

Statistically speaking, estimates for wrongful conviction are all over the place. Justice Scalia estimated it at 0.027%; the Innocence Project estimates it at between 2.3% and 5%. You can see how there'd be some bias at both ends. But there's not much disagreement that by and large the justice system gets it right.

What a terrible write up. There is nothing wrong with what the judge and prosecutor did. Pupp at the time wasn't at trial. The jury messed up.

Glad pupp got caught, she's evil.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You'd think a judge would be better than that. That's the one downside to having a judge (or two) decide a case. If the judge is a moron, it's just as bad as having a jury of morons.

I can understand a jury of idiots being self serving, but a judge should know better.

Side topic: As for the legal system, there should be a penalty for any lawyers acting like an idiot or trying to defend an obvious criminal. How let's say a mass murderer caught on video can be defended by a legal team where they try to get the guy off free is insane.

Some reason the legal system doesn't have common sense.

Although what do lawyers care? Win or lose, they still get shitloads of money per hour. So even if a guy grabs a flamethrower and roasts 100 people, there will always be those lawyers who will somehow defend them to the bone like he's a saint, but say he just a bad day. So please, just give him 8 hours community service.

Last edited:

lil puff

I did jury duty in St. Louis city -- whose court system I would not expect to rank tremendously high as far as US systems go -- and actually came away with a lot more respect for the courts.

It was all very carefully handled, from the judge to the lawyers to the jury.

Statistically speaking, estimates for wrongful conviction are all over the place. Justice Scalia estimated it at 0.027%; the Innocence Project estimates it at between 2.3% and 5%. You can see how there'd be some bias at both ends. But there's not much disagreement that by and large the justice system gets it right.
Unless you are an addict to this sort of stuff, it's likely that most will only hear of the cases that went horribly wrong.

lil puff

You'd think a judge would be better than that. That's the one downside to having a judge (or two) decide a case. If the judge is a moron, it's just as bad as having a jury of morons.

I can understand a jury of idiots being self serving, but a judge should know better.

Side topic: As for the legal system, there should be a penalty for any lawyers acting like an idiot or trying to defend an obvious criminal. How let's say a mass murderer caught on video can be defended by a legal team where they try to get the guy off free is insane.

Some reason the legal system doesn't have common sense.

Although what do lawyers care? Win or lose, they still get shitloads of money per hour. So even if a guy grabs a flamethrower and roasts 100 people, there will always be those lawyers who will somehow defend them to the bone like he's a saint, but say he just a bad day. So please, just give him 8 hours community service.
As one who has several liars ... erm lawyers in my family, I can easily agree that they can be characters. It takes a special kind of personality to be a lawyer. They are crafty MF'rs.

However, a lawyer with a track record of lost cases won't make it too far.

I also understand the disregard from people that hate lawyers defending criminals, terrorists, sex offenders. But every person in the US has that right to be defended, and I think the alternative is a slippery slope.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You want to get rid of due process?
As one who has several liars ... erm lawyers in my family, I can easily agree that they can be characters. It takes a special kind of personality to be a lawyer. They are crafty MF'rs.

I also understand the disregard from people that hate lawyers defending criminals, terrorists, sex offenders. But every person in the US has that right to be defended, and I think the alternative is a slippery slope.
No problem with due process and people needing defence...... assuming the defendant might be innocent or it's a case where it's hard to tell which side is right.

But when it comes to outright criminals, seems pretty odd for someone to defend the guy hoping he gets off free, which would probably come from a weird technicality or being able to sway the jury with some stupid shit.

It's like me at work. I do lots of number crunching, budgeting and approvals, as well as asking for approvals above my head.

I can either give a solid truthful case to the execs for approvals. Or I can fudge the numbers with a stupid story hoping they bite. In my heart, I know what is right..... showing legit work. Not fabricated BS.

iconmaster

Banned
No problem with due process and people needing defence...... assuming the defendant might be innocent or it's a case where it's hard to tell which side is right.

"Assuming the defendant might be innocent." We call that "innocent until proven guilty" in the US. So yeah, that is the assumption, no matter how bad it looks.

But when it comes to outright criminals, seems pretty odd for someone to defend the guy hoping he gets off free

How is anyone supposed to determine the defendant is an "outright criminal" in your arrangement? Via phrenology? We have a system for making those determinations. It's pretty well developed!

What a terrible write up. There is nothing wrong with what the judge and prosecutor did. Pupp at the time wasn't at trial. The jury messed up.

Glad pupp got caught, she's evil.

The prosecutor conspired with Hupp. Why would the prosecutor continue to communicate with her?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
4ef21b1207dfb.image.jpg

Those lips are so thin and untrusty
If the world was full of people like her, the first industries to go bankrupt would be lipstick and lip balm manufacturers.

One stick would last 40 lifetimes.

I don't think someone with lips that thin can even get chapped lips.

Last edited:
S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member
How is anyone supposed to determine the defendant is an "outright criminal" in your arrangement? Via phrenology? We have a system for making those determinations. It's pretty well developed!
Google "bourke st mall killer"

lil puff

But when it comes to outright criminals, seems pretty odd for someone to defend the guy hoping he gets off free, which would probably come from a weird technicality or being able to sway the jury with some stupid shit.

It's like me at work. I do lots of number crunching, budgeting and approvals, as well as asking for approvals above my head.

I can either give a solid truthful case to the execs for approvals. Or I can fudge the numbers with a stupid story hoping they bite. In my heart, I know what is right..... showing legit work. Not fabricated BS.
Consider a situation where someone sets it up to make it look like you are an "obvious" murderer, or frames you for a serious crime. If there were no process for even the worse criminals, cases like that would happen more frequently, likely to be used as a tool against people they don't like.

Do these people deserve a defense?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Consider a situation where someone sets it up to make it look like you are an "obvious" murderer, or frames you for a serious crime. If there were no process for even the worse criminals, cases like that would happen more frequently, likely to be used as a tool against people they don't like.

Do these people deserve a defense?
How can someone defend obvious crazed shit like that guy in Norway or Finland who killed 70 kids?

As for defence, it comes down to ethics for me. And it sure seems like any lawyer will take a court case for the cash try to sway juries with stupid excuses hoping to get an obvious crook off.

This also goes for overzealous prosecutors trying to grill people to life in prison, even though the act might not be that bad, or they know some shit, but still go after full penalties.

Last edited:

SpoopySpeedster

Neo Member

All I can think of is Uncle Jack reading this

FrigidDetailedIrishterrier-size_restricted.gif

Top Bottom