• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wanting some insurance money, wife kills husband, but ex-wife was still beneficiary

Royce McCutcheon

Prosecutors said Curry-Walker had run tens of thousands of dollars into debt through credit cards and loans, some of which she had taken out in Walker's name. As she sunk nearer and nearer to financial ruin, prosecutors said, she plotted Walker's death to collect on his $100,000 life insurance policy.

Curry-Walker paid about a $1,000 down payment to her daughter's boyfriend, Chad Padgett, who went to his cousin, Chris Hein. After an initial failed attempt at Walker's life in October, Hein reached out to Ryan Dorty to carry out the killing.

All four, including Curry-Walker's daughter, pleaded guilty, testified against her at trial and said the plot began with her.

Curry-Walker and Walker had just bought a house in Madison Township and were packing up their Lampson Road house to move the night he was killed.

Curry-Walker sent her husband out to get food from McDonald's for her about 8:30, prosecutors said. Cellphone records show that she, her daughter and Hein placed several phone calls and text messages in the minutes leading up to the killing. Padgett and Dorty went with another man to the house and Dorty waited near the garage with a pistol that Hein had gotten.

When Walker came back home, Dorty ambushed him and shot him four times as he was unlocking the side door near the driveway. Walker's keys were still in the door, prosecutors said.

Curry-Walker placed a frantic 911 call at 8:35 p.m. to report her husband had been shot in the driveway.

Her daughter, who was 17 years old at the time of the killing, testified that she was riding in a car with Curry-Walker and Padgett when her mother first brought up the plot.

Curry-Walker told Padgett to have the shooter pull Walker's pocket out of his pants, to make the killing look like a botched robbery, the daughter testified.

The daughter also said her mother told her that "no one would believe I would hire a bunch of kids to kill someone when I know people that could."

Curry-Walker showed no emotion as her daughter pinned the plot on her.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2017/07/wife_of_slain_cleveland_firefi_1.html

After an initial failed attempt at Walker's life

Wonder if that set off red lights in his head.

rtcn63

The daughter also said her mother told her that "no one would believe I would hire a bunch of kids to kill someone when I know people that could."

This sounds kinda like the mother cheekily letting the daughter know what will happen to her if she snitches

InterMusketeer

Gold Member
That's just horrible. Your own family plotting to kill you behind your back, even attempting it twice. The fuck is wrong with those people. I hope he didn't know when he died.

That's just horrible. Your own family plotting to kill you behind your back, even attempting it twice. The fuck is wrong with those people. I hope he didn't know when he died.

Makes you think how paranoid you'd get if you happen to win the lottery or come into a large sum of money. Sucks that the guy is dead. Rip

n64coder

Pretty sad story. The husband was a firefighter. Can't believe that she did this all for a measly $100K payout. RIP to the husband.

bebop242

Imagine being the wife trying to do this plan and not only does it end with her in jail but the ex wife benefits and gets the money.

I love this plot. Failed killer reach out to real professional to get the job done. Evil wife asking (step?) daughter's boyfriend to arrange the murder. And the final revealation of the beneficiary would be epic.

Wow, the prosecutor turned her daughter and both killers against her too.

I mean they were only married 4 months when he was killed. I'm not sure how much they became his family in that time.

giphy.gif

Dynomutt

I love this plot. Failed killer reach out to real professional to get the job done. Evil wife asking (step?) daughter's boyfriend to arrange the murder. And the final revealation of the beneficiary would be epic.

Wow, the prosecutor turned her daughter and both killers against her too.

This is actually a bit worrying. Daughter seems like she might of snaked through. 30 days in juvenile. What can yo do though....

Zoe

Guess this is a reminder to everyone to check to your beneficiaries annually and after major life events.

Good thing he didn't.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Man how do you even live with yourself even if you came out of this untouched

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
This is actually a bit worrying. Daughter seems like she might of snaked through. 30 days in juvenile. What can yo do though....

She did not get charged since she flipped. She sounds like a fucking psycho though. Referring to her step-Mom as "Mommy" in texts... Then turning on everyone, including the father of her child. I would not be surprised if she winds up killing someone in the next 10-20 years.

StayDead

Guess this is a reminder to everyone to check to your beneficiaries annually and after major life events.

Good thing he didn't.

Yeah, damn RIP to the guy.

I couldn't imagine thinking I was happy to then be killed by my own new family. It's terrifying. This could happen to anyone.

Dynomutt

She did not get charged since she flipped. She sounds like a fucking psycho though. Referring to her step-Mom as "Mommy" in texts... Then turning on everyone, including the father of her child. I would not be surprised if she winds up killing someone in the next 10-20 years.

Basically. She went with them to watch. I feel like she saved her own skin which she did but I don't know if she is in any way remorseful. I'm not a prosecutor but they better make sure they try to help her any way possible.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Basically. She went with them to watch. I feel like she saved her own skin which she did but I don't know if she is in any way remorseful. I'm not a prosecutor but they better make sure they try to help her any way possible.

I feel bad for the kid that will be raised by her.

Fuchsdh

Yea if I had the ability I'd be keeping an eye on her.

While there are problems with racial disparities in stuff like juveniles being sentences as adults, I think "you're 17 and you willingly participated in a capital crime" seems like a reasonable time to consider charging them as an adult.

Doesn't look like you needed her to win the case, I would have never struck a deal even if she rolled on the others.

Top Bottom