• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitbit contradicts husband's story of wife's murder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Fitbit contradicts husband's story of wife's murder

_95787734_dabate25n-3-web.jpg

A cheating US husband has been charged with killing his wife after police said data from her wearable fitness tracker contradicted his version of events.

Richard Dabate, 40, claimed to have seen Connie Dabate shot to death more than an hour before her Fitbit device recorded her last movements.

He told detectives that she was killed by a home intruder in the US state of Connecticut on 23 December 2015.

But police say her electronic device tells a different story.

Mr Dabate was charged this month with murder, tampering with physical evidence and making false statements about his 39-year-old wife's death.

Police say he initially told them he had just returned home at around 09:00 after dropping off his two sons when he was attacked by a home intruder.

He claimed the perpetrator was a "tall, obese man" with a deep voice like actor Vin Diesel's and wearing "camouflage and a mask", according to an arrest warrant.
The accused said a .357 revolver registered in his name was used by the purported attacker to shoot Mrs Dabate.

The victim, a pharmaceutical representative, was shot twice, once in the back of her head, with the pistol that her husband had purchased two months earlier, say prosecutors.

Mr Dabate, a computer technician, claimed the home intruder then tied him up after a struggle.

Police found Mr Dabate with an arm and leg bound by zip ties to a chair in the kitchen at the crime scene.

He had what police described as superficial knife wounds.

Investigators say physical evidence showed no sign of the struggle described by Mr Dabate.

Data found on a Fitbit that Mrs Dabate had worn for an exercise class that morning shows she did not take her last movements until 10:05, more than an hour after her husband claimed to watch her die.

Also, police sniffer dogs picked up no scent of other people in the house in the hours before Mrs Dabate's death.

Her husband was in a relationship with another woman, who was expecting his baby - which detectives suspect as a motive for the attack.

According to investigators, Mr Dabate had texted his wife a year before her death saying: "I want a divorce."

Mathieran

Banned
Why the fuck do people kill their spouses when they want out? Just get divorce and move on with your life. It's so demented. How could you do that to your children?

Feel bad for the kids and even his lady on the side (unless she coerced him to do it somehow).

Glad this guy did a terrible job of covering his tracks.

Capitan

even without the fitbit it's fishy- one arm and one leg tied to a chair? what kind of sloppy home intruder would only tie part of you up? also, if the "home intruder" already murdered someone, why would he just tie up the other witness?

what an awful thing to do. hope they can get the truth out of the guy.

CornDogg

Reading other details, you didn't even really need the Fitbit. This dude's plan was super not good.

No dabate to be had there. I'll never understand why people do horrible, dumb things like this.

Edit - Dammit, Quantum. Beaten on the name pun.

Maxinas

This is why adultery is a crime, and should remain a crime as long as people can't stop putting their dick in everything that moves. Why even marry?

Acorn

This is why adultery is a crime, and should remain a crime as long as people can't stop putting their dick in everything that moves. Why even marry?
Adultery isn't a crime. Unless you're in some backward ass country? Do you mean bigamy?

Beartruck

No signs of a struggle on his person is the real damning evidence. You bet your ass if someone shot my wife in front of me while I was tied up I'd have 3rd degree rope burns.

Blader

What a weird conclusion to draw. People shouldn't get married for fear of breaking the law?

Madness

Wow at this being a thing in the US. Wtf.

Wow at you being ignorant and not realizing the US is a massive country with massive variances between state to state. Hell adultery was a crime in Austria just 20 yeaes ago as well. And in SK until a few years back and is still a crime in many african, asian, middle eastern countries.

Also, anyone notice how he legally purchased his gun and killed his wife with it. Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they aren't. Piece of shit wanted out so he killed his beautiful and successful wife. Hope he enjoys prison for the rest of his life. Wonder if the kid he is having with that woman will be told his biological father had an extramarital affair and killed his wife before him.

CSI Season 1 shit right here. A shot to the back of the head without a struggle shows that this was an intimate kill, the person killing was known to the victim, that's how they were allowed to get so close "unnoticed" and why there was no struggle.

Acorn

Wow at you being ignorant and not realizing the US is a massive country with massive variances between state to state. Hell adultery was a crime in Austria just 20 yeaes ago as well. And in SK until a few years back and is still a crime in many african, asian, middle eastern countries.

Also, anyone notice how he legally purchased his gun and killed his wife with it. Everyone is a responsible gun owner until they aren't. Piece of shit wanted out so he killed his beautiful and successful wife. Hope he enjoys prison for the rest of his life.
Wow at your snark I'm aware of the size of the country smart ass. I wasn't aware of legacy adultery laws still being on the books.

What a bad idea.

Dunno how you could get past modern detective work to murder your spouse.

Dust up a load of pills then stick em in a drink then force it on her then claim she was suicidal cos of you wanting a divorce?

You'd have to be Dexter level good to pull any of this stuff off

Ashodin

The is like the introductory case in Ace Attorney. The one with the clock that was stopped but still did the cuckoo alarm.

The thinker statue.

The fitbit tells the truth

knitoe

Why the fuck do people kill their spouses when they want out? Just get divorce and move on with your life. It's so demented. How could you do that to your children?

Feel bad for the kids and even his lady on the side (unless she coerced him to do it somehow).

Glad this guy did a terrible job of covering his tracks.
Often, it's about the insurance money and/or spouse money support.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/25/us/fitbit-womans-death-investigation-trnd/
"Five days after the incident, Dabate also attempted to make a claim for his wife's life insurance policy for $475,000, police said."

I can just see him 'hehyeh, I'll tie myself up, genius' and then once he's tied his first hand he's like 'well shit'. He should have at least tied both legs first, make it look like vin did 75% of the job.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, the Fitbit is just a final nail the coffin, his entire plan, and story, were pretty bad.

RIP to his wife. Hope he rots in prison.

louiedog

I watch a lot of those forensics shows on Netflix in the background and it's amazing how many they have that are a lot like this.

Guy has mistress, wants out of marriage, doesn't want divorce, and figures he might as well make some money on the insurance. Once in awhile the genders are reversed, but it's mostly men.

The plans always seem unlikely and they fuck it up. What they have to gain is so much less than what they have to lose but they're arrogant and think they won't get caught. Of course if they don't fuck it up they don't make it on the show, and once in awhile it's a person who has done it twice and only got caught the second time.

Ehhhh, I would like to point out that both husbands and wives are capable of it. Men aren't the only ones who cheat, but it seems that people always assume that's the way it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom