• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Need Major Finance and Life Advice

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I feel basically royally fucked as of today.

Quick info on me. I’m 36. Married. Two kids. Living in Colorado.

The house I live in is way beyond my financial capability but a set of unfortunate circumstances got me here. My sister lost her husband and in a lawsuit won a large sum of $. Being a good sister she surprised me to pay off my student loan debt over 6 years ago and put down a hefty down payment on a house down the street from here so we could live close to each other. She put down $200K on a $470K house. It’s no worth $630K.

Colorado as a state has become massively unaffordable and in those 6 years we had to refinance one for $100K to work off other debts I had, and being in a very low paying job during Covid. I worked 3 jobs at this time to make ends meet. Today luckily I have a great job and my wife too. We can both work remotely so moving anywhere is possible. I also had to do a heloc recently to afford paying off credit card debt I had to finally be debt free and consolidate debt. Got hit with a garage door totally broken, a roof having to be fully done new, and my furnace breaking. Still working to pay off $6000 some on a furnace. The other two done…

We’ve been throwing the idea out on a move to a more affordable state for a while. We didn’t want to uplift the kids and screw up their lives but we figured we would at lest look into it.

Now at the time of my sister giving me this $200K she said as long as we never move I don’t owe her the money back but if we move I do. Decent deal at the time when we had a baby on the way.

Fast forward to today and I told her about our plans and she hit me with,”actually I’ve been meaning to tell you for a while but by 2028 I want that $200K back.” Her and her new husband (supposedly also well off), are wanting it once my nieces are out of school so they can use it for their investments to have more income monthly. When my sister married him he was supposedly far more financially well off than her. Neither actually work now as far as I know. They just live off residual income from properties. And yes I did have it in my mind that when they got married sooner or later they may come trying to saying “we want that money.”

So essentially if the house sold today for say $650K, I owe her $200K. $100K for refinancing. $50K for the heloc I did. Put it in closing costs, repairs asked, the realtor, etc and I’d be negative or at 0?

I’m unsure where to begin to climb this mountain. My sister said I can just ask to refinance the house again when interest rates are better before 2028 for another $200K. Which is absurd because then I’d be $200K more in debt and the house is no longer an investment it’s a death warrant/money sink/tombstone.

I have all of a few hundred dollars in savings, so I wouldn’t have money currently to even make a down payment of a new home anywhere or afford to move.

Idk what advice to even ask for. Just file bankruptcy and call it GG?

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Sounds like your sisters agreement holds no legal weight so I wouldn't even worry about repaying her the 200k. I probably would have laughed when she said she wanted it back. It was nice what she did but you had an agreement and her just saying "lol nvm" doesn't cut it. So unless you have something in writing, you're not obligated to pay her back a red cent.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
I am not a US citizen and never got to have your problems so I don't have any real life experience to help you. But could you just fix your house, rent it for a few years with your sister permission and sell it closer to 2028 to give her back the money? As long as the rent you would gain is better than what you would pay in your new place it should help you make some money?
Being 120% real that’s exactly where I’m at. If it wasn’t for my son I would’ve long ago.

I’m in a sexless marriage to add to the above.

I live at this point to see him smile and make his life good. That’s it.
And that is exactly why we don't want you to listen to that. Children are a lot more perceptive than we think and if you are not happy they can feel it pretty well. Be strong for him. Good luck man. I hope that you get better.

Cyberpunkd

Sounds like your sisters agreement holds no legal weight so I wouldn't even worry about repaying her the 200k. I probably would have laughed when she said she wanted it back. It was nice what she did but you had an agreement and her just saying "lol nvm" doesn't cut it. So unless you have something in writing, you're not obligated to pay her back a red cent.
This is the correct answer. Check the laws, check if the 200k had an agreement attached to it. If not - look into on what conditions do the “oral agreements” become binding. Check if “you need to pay back 200k if you move” is an allowed clause.
We can’t help you but I wouldn’t worry just yet, it looks scummy and it sounds scummy.

TransTrender

Gold Member
First thought is to let her know the house is all hers because you're not paying for it anymore and it can go in to bankruptcy or she can take over the loans.
Not being upfront about that stuff and then also expecting $200K in 10-ish years seems really shitty.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Seriously, also what was the sister thinking doing this? You can really tell she had zero future planning before that windfall and didn't years after and sounds like she's one of those 40 something's who realize "oh wow, I really should've been putting money in a 401K all along!"

Tell her pound sand OP

T.v

Sounds like you made a big mess of a good situation. Did you agree beforehand on having to pay your sister back? If not, she can go fuck herself. If you did you're screwed and your best bet is to burn it all and go live somewhere where you're not living above your means.

Also, did you really need a 6000$ stove?

Sleepwalker

Truthfully I would talk to your sister and tell her that it's not possible to repay the 200k in that timeframe, that you may be able to at some point when its actually within your means.

If she's not understanding then that's tough luck because I don't think you signed anything that says she was loaning you money and it was more of a pinky promise.

Sell the house and use the 200k to resettle. Pay her whenever or don't, your kids come first.

bitbydeath

Ask her for the remaining money to fully pay off the mortgage and that will allow you to save $200K for her by 2028!

bender

What time is it?
Feels like we are missing some crucial information about the $200K for your house down payment. It reads at first like it was a gift from your Sister with stipulations (don't move) but later in your post, she expects the money back. Was it offered as a gift and now she is reneging or was the expectation that you would always pay her back? If it was the latter, was it a verbal commitment or was something formal signed? Is your student loan debt any different?

Regarding selling your house. If you sell it for it's value (likely in this market and maybe above market value):

$630,000 - $270,000 (what you financed) - $200,000 (sister's loan/gift) - $100,000 (refinance) - $50,000 (heloc) - $38,000 (realtors fees) = -$28,000

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Truthfully I would talk to your sister and tell her that it's not possible to repay the 200k in that timeframe, that you may be able to at some point when its actually within your means.

If she's not understanding then that's tough luck because I don't think you signed anything that says she was loaning you money and it was more of a pinky promise.

Sell the house and use the 200k to resettle. Pay her whenever or don't, your kids come first.
Also - doesn’t a gift/donation of 200k have to be declared? Has it been done? I went through similar thing and just to avoid money laundering schemes that thing had to be air-tight.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Excuse my ignorance, but didn’t you pay off any of the house in that 6 years?

Sakura

If you and your wife both have great jobs and you own a home, how do you only have a few hundred in savings? There is another 4 years before she says she wants the money back. Surely if you spend your money wisely you can pay off your debts by then other than the 200k.
Also realistically what is she going to do if you don't pay her 200k by 2028? If you don't have the money then you don't have the money, tell her to deal with it.

Last edited:

sono

Gold Member
Your sister shold understand you need to look after your and your family financial well being first.

The money she gave you was very generous but ultimately (unless I misunderstood) was a gift.

Asking it back years later she can expect the reply unless you became very wealthy

Making a condition that you live near her sounds a bit wierd/ controlling

Arsic

Sounds like you made a big mess of a good situation. Did you agree beforehand on having to pay your sister back? If not, she can go fuck herself. If you did you're screwed and your best bet is to burn it all and go live somewhere where you're not living above your means.

Also, did you really need a 6000$ stove?
I was writing this half awake last night stressed. Not a stove. Our furnace completely went out. Had two people come out and both said it’s fried. If I had repaired it it would’ve been a $2000 bill and it would last only another year at best is what he said.

It’s winter so we can’t live in the cold unfortunately.

Hudo

Now at the time of my sister giving me this $200K she said as long as we never move I don’t owe her the money back but if we move I do. Decent deal at the time when we had a baby on the way.
Ngl, this (your sister) sounds weird as fuck. If I were you, this alone would've been motivation to move as far away from her as possible.

I'd try to sell the house and hope, at worst, I'd reach 0. Also, how legally binding is your $200k agreement? If it was just some oral thing, she probably can't "get you", if she wanted to. But then again, I am completely unfamiliar with US laws.

Arsic

If you and your wife both have great jobs and you own a home, how do you only have a few hundred in savings? There is another 4 years before she says she wants the money back. Surely if you spend your money wisely you can pay off your debts by then other than the 200k.
Also realistically what is she going to do if you don't pay her 200k by 2028? If you don't have the money then you don't have the money, tell her to deal with it.
That’s just it. We are on the track that if she didn’t hit me with this “I want my $200K back” we were on our way to being fully debt free by the end of this year AND finally be putting more and more into savings.

The savings I had went to the $6000 furnace, roof, and garage door. All this happened within months of each other.

We are budgeting like crazy. No eating out. Neither of us are buying lavish things. I basically get myself one game every few months or get heavy discounts. This year my games I bought so far are Helldivers 2 and SSKTJL.

If we do spend $ it’s on my son or daughter.

Reading the thread does sound like I’m fine. I came up with only two real options:

One- if she has the money she can pay off the remainder of the home, and then sell it for say a $100,000 more than current market value to see if anyone bites. Get it in writing that any excess above what she paid for it goes to us so we can use it for moving costs and down payment on a new home. That way she gets all her $ back and I am not boned.

Option two- she flat out said you don’t have to pay me back as long as you live here. I have a witness to that, and I’ll get her to reconfirm she said that in writing before I go talk to my sister to present her the first option.

If she doesn’t go with it she will likely write me off and ruin my relationship with her. Which I don’t want because I love her and she’s had my back my whole life. Once she married this guy though… everything changed. We used to talk frequently and have her over, but now I won’t hear from her for many months. She doesn’t come over. 0 hanging out. We all warned her about this guy prior to marriage but she refused to listen, and all I can do is wish her the best.

Arsic

Ngl, this (your sister) sounds weird as fuck. If I were you, this alone would've been motivation to move as far away from her as possible.

I'd try to sell the house and hope, at worst, I'd reach 0. Also, how legally binding is your $200k agreement? If it was just some oral thing, she probably can't "get you", if she wanted to. But then again, I am completely unfamiliar with US laws.
She just had lost her husband when this happened. Her two daughters, my nieces, are all a year apart from my daughter. Being close was so she could have me close for moral support and not feel alone. She’s dealt with major depression her whole life and throw in a dead husband I’m surprised she made it on the other side.

I wanted to help, and at the time getting a really nice house with a then manageable mortgage seemed like a no brainer.

Arsic

Feels like we are missing some crucial information about the $200K for your house down payment. It reads at first like it was a gift from your Sister with stipulations (don't move) but later in your post, she expects the money back. Was it offered as a gift and now she is reneging or was the expectation that you would always pay her back? If it was the latter, was it a verbal commitment or was something formal signed? Is your student loan debt any different?

Regarding selling your house. If you sell it for it's value (likely in this market and maybe above market value):

$630,000 - $270,000 (what you financed) - $200,000 (sister's loan/gift) - $100,000 (refinance) - $50,000 (heloc) - $38,000 (realtors fees) = -$28,000

Verbal.

Said your house you don’t owe me a dime as long as you guys don’t move.

Now randomly changing the deal for whatever reason. This woman and her husband theoretically should still be multi multi millionaires…. Why she would need $200K from her brother, sister in law, and niece/nephew is absurd.

I’ll try to get with her this Friday because I think I’m missing some major piece of information here. My guess? This new husband was a con artist…

Hudo

She just had lost her husband when this happened. Her two daughters, my nieces, are all a year apart from my daughter. Being close was so she could have me close for moral support and not feel alone. She’s dealt with major depression her whole life and throw in a dead husband I’m surprised she made it on the other side.

I wanted to help, and at the time getting a really nice house with a then manageable mortgage seemed like a no brainer.
Well, fair enough, then. Maybe you can talk to her about your financial situation then. If you think she is reasonable enough, maybe you two can work something out?

Just explain your situation to her and that you want to pay her back in earnest, just that it's not easy for you.

Arsic

Well, fair enough, then. Maybe you can talk to her about your financial situation then. If you think she is reasonable enough, maybe you two can work something out?

Just explain your situation to her and that you want to pay her back in earnest, just that it's not easy for you.
Yeah I don’t think she’s doing this maliciously or out of spite. She’s always had my back.

I’m just scared if this dude she married is pulling the strings and is a con man. That wouldn’t surprise me…

Hudo

I’m just scared if this dude she married is pulling the strings and is a con man. That wouldn’t surprise me…
Well, I don't know the guy but maybe try to talk to her alone first. And, again, if you think she is reasonable enough, also tell her that you worry about her dude trying to pull a fast one. Explain your thoughts clearly.

I've found that just being completely open and honest usually helps tremendously. Even if it is uncomfortable as fuck at first. But it really depends on her, I guess. If there's a strain or distrust between you and your sister, it could backfire. But I really believe there's no way around trying to talk to her (preferably without the guy).

SoloCamo

Yeah I don’t think she’s doing this maliciously or out of spite. She’s always had my back.

It happens all the time. Same happened to my sister, though it wasn't a situation like you are in now. He completely financially ruined her and ended up being a mentally abusive controlling loser. Best of luck.

I honestly don't know why you're asking GAF this sort of question, surely there are people in your real life you can turn to for sound advice?

There isn't legally anything your sister can do to try and reclaim the money if neither of you signed anything and put it in writing that you agreed to pay her back. She would need to sue you and prove in a civil court that you agreed to pay her back, if you never did this then there's nothing she can do. I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, but you should definitely talk to real one and confirm what I said then you can tell your sister that aren't paying her back and see what she does after that.

Riptastic

your only problem is not telling your sister to go fk herself. its family so i understand that may be difficult. but not anywhere near as difficult as being 200k in the red with a family, fuck that!

Stay on track with your budgeting, ignore your sister.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If you and your wife can both work remotely then move out and turn that house into a rental property. Your sister is right there and can check on it as a way to get her 200k back.

But if you had to take 100k out in a refinance and a loan for credit card debt but still have no cash reserves, there are some SERIOUS issues there you are gonna need to work on. You at least refinanced for a 3% rate, right? Your mortgage shouldn't be all that much and rental income should cover it.

Or sell the house, give your sister some portion of her seed money back, and then work out a long term repayment plan with her. Use the rest of the equity for a down payment on another house in a much more economical area. But I'm struggling to think of any place that can beat having a house with just a 350k mortgage unless Colorado is heavy on the taxes.

tmlDan

These are my thoughts as well, if it was a gift you have no obligation to pay.

If your sister is financially well off she should be understanding to your situation as well, explain to her your ordeal and how difficult it would be. You have kids and are considerate of their future, any real family member would be understanding of that.

I wish you all the best OP, but if it means protecting your children, tell your sister to fuck off. I understand what she did was nice, but to royally fuck you over so they can retire and do nothing is selfish.

Kenpachii

If its a gift she can suck a dick if she wants it back, the same goes for your student loan. U can simple say to her

Whenever i get that money at some point i will pay it back but currently right now i am in the hole so far, aint happening before 2028 if at all just to be friendly.

Visit a lawyer see what the suggests and see what your options are.

Use that money if u sold the house to relocate yourself and get things going.

DKehoe

As others have said it’s probably best to lay out your situation to your sister and explain why you are looking to do what you’re planning to do. She might not realise the position you are in and how much trouble that 200k would be for you. Better to talk it through and make sure you both understand where the other is coming from before you take some kind of action that might blow up your relationship with your sister.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Unless you have something in writing, you don’t owe any money to your sister. I’m in a similar sitiuation of sorts now (brother and his wife divorced, I put my inheritance into fixing the house we live in but not on the paper work for it so I’m out everything).

my brother making it right for me but his ex is a cunt.

in short family sucks don’t trust anyone.

sell the house and move, you owe nothing. Just don’t expect a Xmas card.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Tough. I don't understand how or why someone would accept such an amount of money to begin with. Recipe for disaster.

I'd rather have a smaller house that I paid for myself in that situation.

Burger

Whose name is the house & mortgage in? If the house is in your name, and the mortgage is in your name then I think it's pretty clear what you should do.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Damn man. I don’t have any advice to give you, but I wish you and your fam the best. 💙

SteadyEvo

Being 120% real that’s exactly where I’m at. If it wasn’t for my son I would’ve long ago.

I’m in a sexless marriage to add to the above.

I live at this point to see him smile and make his life good. That’s it.
I cannot relate to your financial or relationship struggles but can say that I face my own set of challenges and issues that seems insurmountable. I think all people do on some level.

All I can say is think positive. Take care of yourself.

Your sister, from what you’ve written, seems a bit selfish and greedy. Sell the home, pay her back and do not accept anything else from her cause they’ll likely be strings attached.

Your wife… I dunno. Is the marriage sexless because you’re both busy or are y’all drifting apart? That’s a tough cause kids are involved, I know the feeling. Weigh the pros and cons and go from there.

Goodluck man. We’re all dealing with something and I hope your situation improves soon. Hang in there.

This is what I was thinking. It sounds like she never made a formal agreement that is legally binding so I wouldn't worry about paying her back. Sure, it will probably sour the relationship with his sister, but her saying "actually neverminded, I need that money back now" is her fault and not a good excuse.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Likely very little, just a ballpark:

YearInterestPrincipalEnding Balance
1$13,409.53$3,983.49$266,016.51
2$13,205.73$4,187.29$261,829.22
3$12,991.50$4,401.52$257,427.71
4$12,766.31$4,626.71$252,801.00
5$12,529.60$4,863.42$247,937.58
6$12,280.78$5,112.24$242,825.33
So if you sell the house to give her her money back, you will be worse than at 0 because you were making repayments all those years? I guess on the upside you didn’t have to pay rent… though on the downside you could have been paying off a more affordable house that you don’t have to sell.

What sounds like a generous gift from your sis turned out to be anything but. I bet her husband got into her ear about the money.

bender

What time is it?
So if you sell the house to give her her money back, you will be worse than at 0 because you were making repayments all those years? I guess on the upside you didn’t have to pay rent… though on the downside you could have been paying off a more affordable house that you don’t have to sell.

What sounds like a generous gift from your sis turned out to be anything but. I bet her husband got into her ear about the money.

The reason he is at least than zero is that he borrowed an additional 150K against the equity of his home and now his sister expects him to repay the 200K "gift". If you aren't paying extra on a mortgage, you'll only pay down about half of the principle the first 20 years of the loan. And it's probably safe to assume he isn't paying extra beyond his monthly mortgage payments as he refinanced (which probably reset the loan period) and took on an additional 150K in debt against the value of the home. Had he not took on the additional debt or if his sister didn't want the money back (or better yet both), he'd have a ton of equity.

I'd guess his monthly mortgage payments have also ballooned at this point. $270K loan is probably ~$2,100 per month when you factor in property taxes and insurance. $420K is probably around $3,400. Kind of variable depending on interest rates and the county for property taxes.

Last edited:

Arsic

The reason he is at least than zero is that he borrowed an additional 150K against the equity of his home and now his sister expects him to repay the 200K "gift". If you aren't paying extra on a mortgage, you'll only pay down about half of the principle the first 20 years of the loan. And it's probably safe to assume he isn't paying interest as he refinanced (which probably reset the loan period) and took on an additional 150K in debt against the value of the home. Had he not took on the additional debt or if his sister didn't want the money back (or better yet both), he'd have a ton of equity.
Correct.

I did get clarification in writing via text from my sister that the original deal was “don’t move and you don’t ever have to pay me back”, and that she’s now changing that agreement.

After all the other things noted in here, the money being a gift, no contract or writing on it, I’m just going to focus on the next 4 years making steady improvements to my financial situation. By then my daughter will have graduated and possibly into college if she goes that route or not, and we can look at finances then.

My wife and I talked and basically:
-Option 1. Confront her in person now, light that bridge on fire, and never pay her back. Go sell the house.

-Option 2. Wait 4 years. See what the price value of the home is then. Maybe in 4 years it’ll be worth another $100K more and we can come out ahead to potentially use that for a down payment on a new cheaper house for ourselves in a more affordable state.

We went with option 2.

My sister did explain a little insight into this saying her financial advisor(wish I could afford one of those lmao) told her since two of her investment properties were lost to hurricane damage, that she should reinvest the money.

So a bad financial advisor told her to buy properties in areas known for storm damages, and now her poor investments are my problem? Bruh…

The thing that genuinely irked me is she said if I want she can talk to her advisor on what a fair interest rate is and you can one day when I move pay her back with interest that would start in 2028. “I just need that money to be earning interest.”

No what you NEED is to get a job like every other person, not take multiple vacations a year, not buy a brand new car for your 18 year old, not have a husband who is supposedly balling out of his mind not contribute to a solution that doesn’t fuck over your family who didn’t do anything but support you lol.

When I’m seen as an investment or some kind of financial asset, and not a person, you’ve lost me.

GAF advice of sis go pound sand is where I’m at. I’ll just wait a few years to see if it has to be done. For all I know I die tomorrow, or she does, or her husband, or someone gets cancer, etc. Nothing is certain and maybe her financial situation gets better too or she gets a job etc who knows?

Thanks gang. All set and can breathe easy.

bender

What time is it?
I did get clarification in writing via text from my sister that the original deal was “don’t move and you don’t ever have to pay me back”, and that she’s now changing that agreement.

Save that.

What your sister is doing is unfair and unreasonable. I'd welcome a conversation but I'd have a firm stance in that I'm not paying the money back short of moving and interest charges for said "loan" will never happen. It's tricky because it is family, but you probably wouldn't have purchased a $470K house without her gift. Your financial situation doesn't support her latest whim. Just like you'll have to deal with the consequences of refinancing, she has to deal with the consequences of giving away $200K with no contract in place.

Arsic

Save that.

What your sister is doing is unfair and unreasonable. I'd welcome a conversation but I'd have a firm stance in that I'm not paying the money back short of moving and interest charges for said "loan" will never happen. It's tricky because it is family, but you probably wouldn't have purchased a $470K house without her gift. Your financial situation doesn't support her latest whim. Just like you'll have to deal with the consequences of refinancing, she has to deal with the consequences of giving away $200K with no contract in place.

Well and her consequences of spending all her money poorly from what I described above.

Like hey you wanted to invest in real estate and not have to work ever again, cool. That didn’t work out and you spent way more than you should on frivolous shit.

I think after taxes lawyers etc she was at like $3 million dollars 6 years ago. Spending $200K, and then another $35K for my student loans , is a drop in the bucket.

She could’ve easily put some in savings, some invested, and then just work part time.

bender

What time is it?
Well and her consequences of spending all her money poorly from what I described above.

Like hey you wanted to invest in real estate and not have to work ever again, cool. That didn’t work out and you spent way more than you should on frivolous shit.

I think after taxes lawyers etc she was at like $3 million dollars 6 years ago. Spending $200K, and then another $35K for my student loans , is a drop in the bucket.

She could’ve easily put some in savings, some invested, and then just work part time.

To be fair, 8% is a pretty big drop in the bucket.

Top Bottom