• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G2A Charging Users For Not Logging In

nani17

are in a big trouble
Yes, you read the title right G2A have chared a user for not looking in after 180 days and will continue to charge him and others who get the same email.

SOURCE

G2A response to the post
G2A PAY charges an inactivity fee after someone has not logged into their G2A.COM account for 180 days. An e-mail is sent 3 days before the charge to remind the user and allow them to log in and easily avoid the fee. This fee is €1 and is taken from the user’s G2A Wallet (if there are no funds on the Wallet, PAY does not charge anything). Another €1 will be taken each month that the user stays inactive. If they log in, the timer resets itself and they have another 180 days before they are charged. If there are no funds left (or no funds to begin with) on their G2A Wallet, then the account is set to inactive. All a user needs to do to reactivate it is log back into G2A.COM. We never force the user to make a transaction or do anything with the funds. It’s just to let the system know the user is active, and the account has not been abandoned.

Why do we do this? To try and explain in as few words as we can:
It costs money to upkeep accounts (IT infrastructure, server maintenance, etc.) and if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it. We don’t require these users to buy anything, just log in at least once every 6 months, just so that we know they are still with us. As a financial institution we are also monitored, supervised, and audited and have to back up and explain all our accounts and the funds stored on these accounts. Once an account may be considered “abandoned,” we take certain steps to make sure we are in line with all regulations, jurisdictions and laws.

All I can say it wow WTF are they thinking absolute BS response as well

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
We want your fucking money, and you pay us wether you buy stuff or not.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
"if there are no funds on the Wallet, PAY does not charge anything "

so basically they are only taking money you've already given them? that makes too much sense...let's riot! how DARE they use money that they have!!!!!111!!

I hate G2A and i'm not defending them at all. This is shitty practice but i think people are being a bit too angry. If you don't want to give up your "hard earned money" then don't fucking give them your business in the first place. Simple. also:

"if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it "

BULLSHIT.

i'm sure it is so damn expensive to keep a few strings of text on your server. holy bananas

Last edited:

StormCell

Might this have something to do with balances left on abandoned accounts and some local laws that actually require them to turn over such funds to the state so that people can reclaim money they've forgotten about? I know every so many years I get notifications from the state that I have unclaimed funds (one was from Google Ads) that I should claim. If so, then this is a perfectly reasonable policy that clears G2A of having thousands of dollars that technically doesn't belong to them. The rest of their excuse is baloney. They should just make the real reason for it clear as I'm sure anybody would understand not wanting to have a bunch of additional finance processes cluttering everything up.

Last edited:
I use key sites(cdkeys, instant-gaming) a lot due to my currency not being worth the money its printed on, and some publishers wanting to charge me the equivalent of $80 for a $60 game on Steam , no issues from any of them.

G2A though, used them once and felt like I was rolling around in snake oil. Very dodgy.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
Makes sense to me, if you want to use G2A as your own personal bank, expect some fees. They probably have thousands of abandoned accounts with only a couple dollars in them, this clears those accounts out instead of keeping them on the books forever.

zwiggelbig

Makes sense to me, if you want to use G2A as your own personal bank, expect some fees. They probably have thousands of abandoned accounts with only a couple dollars in them, this clears those accounts out instead of keeping them on the books forever.
^This

G2A_Team

Neo Member
We want your fucking money, and you pay us wether you buy stuff or not.

Not exactly correct. You still don't have to buy. All you need to do to stop the charge is to log in to your G2A account once every half a year. You can also just decide to delete the account if you don't use G2A anymore. And in any case the charge would be taken only from G2A Wallet balance, not from a card or any other payment method. Irwin, G2A Team

Shin

Banned
Just got an email from another company (Skrill/Moneybookers), they seem to be applying this also.

1. Skrill Service Fees
The following change shall apply to the service fee referenced in the Skrill Account Terms of Use:

Your Skrill Account is free for personal use as long as you login or make a transaction at least every 12 months. If you don't do this, a monthly service fee of EUR 5.00 (or equivalent) will be deducted monthly from the funds in your Account.

zeorhymer

Just got an email from another company (Skrill/Moneybookers), they seem to be applying this also.
It's actually standard business practice. The "e-wallet" is equivalent to a gift card. Under federal law, if it's not used, you can be charged with a fee.

"It costs money to upkeep accounts (IT infrastructure, server maintenance, etc.) and if someone does not use the account, it doesn’t make sense to upkeep it. "

But then....

"If there are no funds left (or no funds to begin with) on their G2A Wallet, then the account is set to inactive. All a user needs to do to reactivate it is log back into G2A.COM. "

So what they are saying is we will keep/upkeep your account no matter what but will take your money if you leave it with us after 180 inactive days? Why not just make it inactive after 180 days of inactivity then?

ReBurn

Gold Member
The risk of holding funds in online wallets. Never let companies hold your money for free.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF is this shit?!:messenger_astonished:

The account's weight on a server is like nothing! Literally! Just like game saves and stuff like that for the most part which are also weighs nothing. ARGH this is just wrong in every way imaginable:messenger_pouting:

Top Bottom