• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaben inducted into AIAS Hall of Fame

iNvid02

newell.png

Gabe Newell, co-founder and president of Valve, is the 17th inductee into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences Hall of Fame, earning the title for 2013. Newell joins Shigeru Miyamoto, Sid Meier, John Carmack, Michael Morhaime, Drs. Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuck, and Tim Sweeney, among others, in the AIAS Hall of Fame.

Newell will also be a keynote speaker for Thursday's conference at the 2013 DICE Summit. Epic Games President Mike Capps will present Newell with the Hall of Fame Award at the 2013 DICE Awards.

"Gabe is a living legend of the video games industry, and his relentless focus on customer experience has made our whole industry a better place," Capps says. "Valve's unconventional success is an inspiration for us all, and I couldn't be more pleased to present Gabe's Hall of Fame award."

----

"Gabe is one of the most cherished and respected figures in the industry not only for his technological innovations in advancing many of today's highly successful video games, but also for his unique stance towards leadership and management," said Martin Rae, president, Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. "Gabe's vision for the interactive industry has created lasting effects that have completely reshaped this generation's digital distribution model, paving the way for independent developers and creating an invaluable service for consumers. It is a great honor to have Gabe inducted into the Academy's Hall of Fame."

"Gabe is a living legend of the video games industry, and his relentless focus on customer experience has made our whole industry a better place," said Capps. "Valve's unconventional success is an inspiration for us all, and I couldn't be more pleased to present Gabe's Hall of Fame award."

about time

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/15/valves-gabe-newell-inducted-into-aias-hall-of-fame/#continued

Chavelo

Despicable. His studio hasn't actually created any original IPs in a while... All he does is just steal ideas by bringing in the people that actually created the idea.

Had to post this before someone who actually meant it did. You're welcome, GAF.

spirity

In 2004 Wolpaw was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. Expecting his condition to require a departure from the company, he spoke with managing director Gabe Newell, who surprised him by offering an extended leave with pay. "Your job is to get better," Newell said. "That is your job description at Valve. So go home to your wife and come back when you are better."

Just leaving that here.

Grats Gabe.

There is a Hall of Fame for videogame personalities?

I get that the gushing sometimes can make you want to go in the opposite direction, but if we are objectively considering someone for recognition for impact and vision, how could we possibly twist it so that Gabe's inclusion is in any way debatable? It looks like this was a little overdue, if anything.

MYE

I get that the gushing sometimes can make you want to go in the opposite direction, but if we are objectively considering someone for recognition for impact and vision, how could we possibly twist it so that Gabe's inclusion is in any way debatable? It looks like this was a little overdue, if anything.

Oh no, I have no issues with this. It was an honest question.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Well deserved. One of the last true innovators left in the increasingly business person dominated industry. One of the few who really believes in video games as a real medium for entertainment and can back up his claim by constantly putting out quality titles as well as finding successful and unobtrusive ways to monetize games to make them profitable.

Top Bottom