• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF <3's katamari -the thread-

Bebpo

Banned
Oh I definitely think objectively it's a better game than the first one. Mainly because the level designs are really fantastic in here. But it's not a better game if you've played the first one just because unlike something new it's more of the same.

If someone hadn't played either, this sequel would definitely be the better choice. But, I might be in the minority here, the sequel just doesn't re-create that wonderful experience for people who've played through the original.

I'm really enjoying it so far; it doesn't have the "blow-you-away" feel of the first one, but the levels are definitely better and more varied. After getting huge stars and all the eternal modes in the first one, I didn't feel that much impetus to keep replaying for size, but the more varied level designs here keep things more interesting. My favorite new style of stage so far is one where
the katamari is on fire, and you have to keep picking objects up or the fire goes out. at the end of the level you light a camp bonfire
and everyone has a big party. The soundtrack is good, but somewhat disappointing; however I have yet to hear all of it, so.

Jonnyram

I finally got it booted on my PS2 after hours of DREs :(
Just done the first couple of stages and I'm loving it. The menu system is fantastic too.
Can't wait to see the rest of the story about our beloved King :)

Bebpo

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
I'm really enjoying it so far; it doesn't have the "blow-you-away" feel of the first one, but the levels are definitely better and more varied. After getting huge stars and all the eternal modes in the first one, I didn't feel that much impetus to keep replaying for size, but the more varied level designs here keep things more interesting. My favorite new style of stage so far is one where
the katamari is on fire, and you have to keep picking objects up or the fire goes out. at the end of the level you light a camp bonfire
and everyone has a big party. The soundtrack is good, but somewhat disappointing; however I have yet to hear all of it, so.

The fire stage was nice, but my favorite so far is the Hansel and Gretel stage. When I figured out the trick to solving the level I was like "GENIUS" :D

hooo

boooy
My ps2 looks like it's finally about to bit the dust. I want to import <3 Katamari, but not for a system on death's door. I'm currently using a fliptop and swap discs for imports. Is there a better solution for a ps2 slim? I'm not looking for links, just a solution other than buying a jp unit for the 3-4 games I've already gotten.

aku:jiki

Bebpo said:
The fire stage was nice, but my favorite so far is the Hansel and Gretel stage. When I figured out the trick to solving the level I was like "GENIUS" :D
That one's my favorite so far as well. :D
I'm starting to feel the love now. The levels really are awesome. I loved the flower, underwater, bonfire, school and Hansel & Gretel stages a lot. The town/family/house ones feel kinda lame in comparison...

Getting into the music as well. I really like that hiphop track that kinda sounds like it's by rip slyme, and the jpop track on the (first?) bonfire stage was pretty good too.

I love playing with different characters too. Right now I'm using the pink one with big balls on the sides of her head...is that why the king keeps calling me honey? :lol

Anyone care to give a brief summary of the intro text/story?

pjberri

Crotchety Old Man
I was going to wait for impressions considering I only just got the first one a couple of weeks ago, but I thought "fuck it" and succumbed to the power of my credit card. Should be here Tuesday. :lol

aku:jiki said:
Anyone care to give a brief summary of the intro text/story?

It's in the weirdest accent ever, that's for sure. Basically the story of the first game, it became a game, fans loved it, now here's We <3 Katamari for the fans.

The dialogue before levels are totally awesome. A person says "I want to roll up so-and-so." The king talks a bit, asks the prince what the person wants to roll up, says "That's ridiculous. There's no reason to roll up so-and-so, it's boring and--" and then the person down on Earth interrupts with some bit of ridiculous flattery like, "The king's moustache is super cool!!!" And then the king says "...as I was saying, rolling up so-and-so is very important. Let's go."

The game's growing on me a lot. It's way more varied than the first, which means that it's more effective as you see and appreciate all the levels. Most of the levels have two variations (a size and a count/time variant) which adds a lot of replay, too. Really, it's an awesome sequel - the only minor point is that the soundtrack seems to have gotten a lot lower-key. Still good, but much less ridiculously chipper. It's much closer to the slower tracks on the first game.

Blame!

you guys check out 1up's video preview of minna no daisuki katamari damashi yet?

its pretty sweet. almost make sme wanna import it. too bad the guy doesn't go into more detail about the music in the video.

Nikashi

Banned
Okay, what are you supposed to do on the first stage where you're rolling the planets(?) you've made into the sun? I rolled them all up, but I don't think I did it right...

Nikashi said:
Okay, what are you supposed to do on the first stage where you're rolling the planets(?) you've made into the sun? I rolled them all up, but I don't think I did it right...
I've been wondering about that too. On my first attempt I didn't even realize it was a stage but cleared it without doing, like, anything. On my second try a few hours later I apparently failed and I have no idea what I did.

I think I beat the game already? I've done
the roll-up-the-entire-world level (what was up with not re-using the first games wide camera for this huge level? I couldn't see shit!)
and the
cloud level (which was a neat idea but gameplay-wise it really was nothing but confusing
and got treated to a cutscene of
the prince being born
and then...nothing? Is there supposed to be no real closure or do I have stuff left to do?

Also, what's up with the first level (the training stage) having two unlockable characters? I got every piece of gold or whatever on the entire level and tried looking all around and everything. What's going on there?

Amir0x

Banned
JackFrost2012 said:
The dialogue before levels are totally awesome. A person says "I want to roll up so-and-so." The king talks a bit, asks the prince what the person wants to roll up, says "That's ridiculous. There's no reason to roll up so-and-so, it's boring and--" and then the person down on Earth interrupts with some bit of ridiculous flattery like, "The king's moustache is super cool!!!" And then the king says "...as I was saying, rolling up so-and-so is very important. Let's go."

:lol :lol

Even in text form that sounds hilarious.

I'm so tempted to import this, and I never import anything.

I think I beat the game already?

It sounds like you've passed every level, so
go back to the roll-up-all-the-planets stage (I think it's the black dog) and roll them all into the sun. It'll show the end credits. Also, just a warning, you can "die" during the ending, so be careful or you won't get to see the whole thing!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I've been wondering about that too. On my first attempt I didn't even realize it was a stage but cleared it without doing, like, anything. On my second try a few hours later I apparently failed and I have no idea what I did.

I think I beat the game already? I've done
the roll-up-the-entire-world level (what was up with not re-using the first games wide camera for this huge level? I couldn't see shit!)
and the
cloud level (which was a neat idea but gameplay-wise it really was nothing but confusing
and got treated to a cutscene of
the prince being born
and then...nothing? Is there supposed to be no real closure or do I have stuff left to do?

Also, what's up with the first level (the training stage) having two unlockable characters? I got every piece of gold or whatever on the entire level and tried looking all around and everything. What's going on there?

after you see the ending all the stages get 2nd versions

I've just finished the game with a friend - I personally think the soundtrack is really good, you just need to give it some time to sink in. The ending music alone should be enough to sell anyone on it - especially after the singing kicks in. :) I'm pleased with the game and I'll happily plunk down a few bones when it's released here.

I also really like the mini game at the end where you have to dodge the king's sun katamari - sorta like a katamari shooter!

tetsuoxb

can we discuss the brilliance of the sumo stage?

The kid getting fatter and fatter is absolutely hilarious.

bobbyconover said:
It sounds like you've passed every level, so
go back to the roll-up-all-the-planets stage (I think it's the black dog) and roll them all into the sun. It'll show the end credits. Also, just a warning, you can "die" during the ending, so be careful or you won't get to see the whole thing!
Thanks, but I don't get what I'm doing wrong. I went there, rolled up all my planets (made sure I got them all by rolling around collecting stars for a long while) and I just failed? Tried it again without wasting time afterwards, and still I fail.

sp0rsk said:
after you see the ending all the stages get 2nd versions
After I see the ending Bobby's referring to, or the ending I mentioned where the prince is born? I noticed a lot of the old stages are calling for my attention now, but I think I tried one and it was the same...

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Mine's arrived! A weekend of intense karamari'ing ahead ... :D

It came with the phone-strap as well!

+1 Play-Asia

I have a theory on getting the second version of stages:

You might have to get the present and cousin(s) before it changes to a new version of the stage... not 100% sure but it seems sound

Bebpo

Banned
After finishing it I don't think the game ended up being that good. There was really only 1 full sized level in the game just like the first one, then there were a few medium sized levels (Zoo, School), and finally a bunch of tiny levels (Snow, Fire, Hansel, Fireflies, Flowers, Water, Race). It didn't really feel any longer or more varied than the original by the end IMO. At first it seemed like it was going for a very different take with interesting objectives (Fire,Sumo,Snow), but after about 50% into the game all the levels just turned into the same get big or get x number of items. The time attack versions of the stages don't really do much either as not only are you just competing against yourself, but the stages are ridiculously short often ending in 1min or so.

The music was weaker and felt more repetitive, and while the story idea is hilarious the "oh no no no [YOU ARE AWESOME KING] yes yes yes" dialogue loses it's funny after the 10th+ time.

Then some of the stages had wierd issues. Like the 1st part of the cloud stage forces the camera under you and it's really hard to see or judge sizes; the racing controls were kinda iffy IMO.

Its a solid game, but I just feel disappointed that they didn't do more. I mean the snow idea was really smart...so why limit it to a single extremely tiny level? Same thing with some of the other one shots like the underwater level. I would've liked to have seen more of this interesting levels near the end rather than just getting bigger. The game rather than feeling like something special, feels like a retread by the end. I mean the last actual game level (not the final final level bit) seems almost identical to the last actual game level of the original. Since they already introduced the underwater gameplay, why not start the final huge level from the bottom of the ocean? The areas are a little different this time around on the final level, but it's mainly the same and feels disappointing (aka, I've already done this before). 25% into this game I was enjoying it; 50% into the game I was loving it completely, 75% into the game I was getting bored, 100% into the game I was ready to shelve it and move on.

IMHO it's worth it at the discount price they sell it for, but I would've felt a bit burned if this had been a full price game. I'd put the original at a solid A rating, but the sequel is closer to a B.

MrDaravon

Bebpo raises a good point about there could have been more variety in how the levels were done, and some larger levels. That, and the music isn't as good as the first games. I beat it yesterday, and I'd say overall, the two games in the series both tie at an A for me. Katamari 1 has better music and larger levels, 2 has slightly cleaner/better graphics, and some great well-done stages and humor. I'd say it about balances out between the two. Both games are must-haves, unless you're demi because you can go to hell.

The End

I think this suffers from "Metroid Prime 2 Syndrome". It's objectively better than its predecessor, but it doesn't have quite the impact because it isn't as revolutionary.

Ok, has anyone figured out what to do in the Barbecue level? I've kept the katamari burning the whole time, but when time runs out I still lose...

sprsk

The End said:
I think this suffers from "Metroid Prime 2 Syndrome". It's objectively better than its predecessor, but it doesn't have quite the impact because it isn't as revolutionary.

Ok, has anyone figured out what to do in the Barbecue level? I've kept the katamari burning the whole time, but when time runs out I still lose...

you have to light the pyre at the top of the hill

Vibri said:
Can someone make a rip of the music track 'blue orb'? Seriously cool/insane shit.

The full soundtrack has been ripped, and I'm working on figuring out the track names/order right now. All that's left is a couple title translations and I'll be able to provide a link to it, assuming it's ok with the mods. I'll keep you guys posted!

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
listened to the soundtrack rip last night

i like it, but it's not as good as the original. songs are a bit slower, i guess. still some good stuff though

metroid23

You can also load up your previous game's stars and constallations which adds to a much bigger ball.

Nikashi

Banned
I assume the game doesn't recognize the US Katamari Damacy save since I didn't see any of the stars I made

bobbyconover said:
The full soundtrack has been ripped, and I'm working on figuring out the track names/order right now. All that's left is a couple title translations and I'll be able to provide a link to it, assuming it's ok with the mods. I'll keep you guys posted!
Track listing!

Oh and does anyone want to sell their cell strap? :D

MrDaravon

He's referring to a gamerip someone did on another board. It's got 41 tracks (there's a few karaoke versions) which already beats the OST's tracklisting by a long shot, and the rip doesn't include any of the story scene BGM's, which myself or someone else will hopefully get to.

MrDaravon

Most boards I visit discourage naming/linking to other boards, wasn't sure how it worked here so I didn't want to link it or anything.

Yay, I beat the game. I had managed to completely miss the racing stage (which was pretty cool) and the farmer stage, for some reason. Loved that you unlock
the music test and a roll-up-the-world level
once you beat it.

I am now seeing that sp0rsk mentioned about alternate versions of the stages (and the sumo one, for example, was a little bit harder which was nice)...but does this mean I can't play the original ones? What's up with no eternal for the huge stage, or is that unlockable somehow? I really don't like how these "second versions" will only let you play 'til you finish the stage and not for as long as you can while there's still time. Am I missing an option when I select a stage or something?

sprsk

after you beat the second versions you can pick between the 2

also there are 3rd versions for stages if you play them in co op.

Jonnyram

Just wanted to say The Race is my favourite so far.
The only criticism I have of the game is the loading mid-level. Everything else is perfect.

The End

A guy called "helpmeandihelpyou" posted this at GameFAQs. He may be on to something.

Alright...well after clearing the sun stage u should've noticed that the Hoshino family(those guys in yellow) now on the stage select area. The girl(hoshino michiru) brings u back to the credits scrolling screen where the King chases u with the Sun.

The Father/Man brings u to a stage whereby a meteor is crashing into earth so u gotta gather up the the countries and stop it(kinda like the credits scrolling stage in the previous game) Whereas the boy(Hoshino Mutsuo) would not give a stage. After unlocking all of the Prince's cousins(39 total) will he then open up a stage(in the flower area) whereby u gotta gather up all 39 cousins that are wandering around in that area

After clearing it(it aint hard) the 2nd Omake Movie will open up...its kinda disappointing i have to admit as it is the same as the 1st omake Movie except its in a different language -_-;

there will be 2 other things unlocked after that, 1) a small scene will be added to the ending movie(a.k.a. the 11th episode) which isnt very important

2) talk to the rose in the stage select area and u will be brought to the town area whereby u r required to collect 1million roses...(yes 1million) the roses only appear in 1s or 10s and will respawn after a certain amount of time and altho there will be other stuff around u can only collect roses...i have no idea what will happen wen u collect 1million roses(keeping my fingers crossed that it will unlock the eternal stages) as i have given up on the 5000th rose....gonna continue tmrw.

The End

It's not hugely hard. If you're playing as the cousin that was originally found in a level, it'll place a different one there. It even shows you which cousin you found in a level before you go in.

Top Bottom