• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Anonymous Confessions thread 4.0 the last huzzah

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Agreed, seriously disappointed that it's run it's course. Who will thinkup the next million dollar thread idea?

ronito

So this thread is closed and dead and I'm not posting anymore here but I'll make an exception for this:
Dear Mr. Ronito/ClovingWestbrook,

I am sending this to both email addresses because I'm not sure which one will be answered.

This is part confession and part a help request. I'm writing this because I want to be a whistleblower on my company. Unfortunately, I can't make this post on GAF for obvious reasons. Also I may be accused of some of the wrongdoings with which I am about to detail. If I am, then this could mean I am basically unhireable and I honestly don't know how to proceed, especially since my future employments may be in the govt. sector for top secret and secret clearances. I know you both have said that if these emails are deemed illegal they will be passed on to the authorities if they need to be. I will be blowing the whistle myself in the very near future but I'm not sure how deep I should divulge to the governing bodies.

First off I'm trying to blow the whistle anonymously so my employer will not seek legal action against me. I can't hire an attorney because I honestly barely make enough for the bare necessities at the moment.

Secondly, when I proceed, the outcome of this could have a very damaging result to the vast community where the business is located. It could possibly turn into a big story around here and maybe even further than I think could happen. I could explain why it may have a huge effect, but if I went into detail about what my company does, then Detective GAF could easily out me and that is not something I wish to happen.

My company is using pirated software over several cities & branches and makes a profit using that software. I know I can contact people anonymously for this so I don't have a problem in this area. The other portions are where it gets very sticky.

My company is involved with many EPA violations; dumping chemicals into the drain on a weekly basis. I was going to enclose pictures of the warning labels with the chemicals to show what they are, but just the names of them could be back-referenced to me on GAF (because of 'net detectives obviously). Contacting the EPA is not entirely anonymous, which is one problem. The second problem is that my name is attached to this dumping. I've worked here for several years and I have never wanted to do it, but I was told to. I stupidly went along with it. That is my fault. I want to report this so this practice is stopped immediately but it will hinder my hire-ablity in the future like I've said. I honestly don't know what to do in this regard.

I believe there are safety problems as well and from what I gather reporting to OSHA privately isn't easily done. I don't have a detail history of the accidents or the accidents waiting to happen here at the workplace and OSHA requests detailed accounts of wrongdoings. I honestly think if they just came and looked around they would shut the place down, but getting them here may be hard since I don't have a detailed report to give them.

Another issue is that the owner specifically and some of the managers use company funds to pay for personal items. Receipts come in for them because they've bought groceries, gas, entertainment items and such using these company funds. The owner uses the company funds to pay for his ex step-children's pay things. He pays for their cars, their gas. He is even paying for one of his ex-wives kids college tuition. I don't know the legalities of it all, but isn't this embezzlement or larceny or something else illegal? I may be grasping at straws with those terms but it doesn't seem to be legal at all. If I report any of these and they cover their tracks, I am extremely open to liable suits and defamation of character. Like I said earlier if I report any of this and it is looked into by the local government (city hall, etc.) it is highly likely it will be swept under the rug. This company has been a backbone in this community for more than 50 years. It has extremely close ties with the local law enforcement community and the local political community here.

I don't know what to do so I don't get into major legal trouble. Help?

Sincerely,

Anon. Whistleblower

P.S:

If no help or comments come, I understand but I'm glad I could get this off my chest. If you want to omit certain parts of this email if it is posted on GAF, I understand as well. I have to say I commend you both for what you do. Even though you do get horrible emails sometimes, people need to vent and I am certain that you have helped people in the past just for letting them anonymously confess some these things. I applaud you both for the outlet that people need.

Thank you for listening.

It is appreciated, even if I may the only one to say it.
Pfft, that's all? Welcome to the corporate world.
Seriously though anyone got some tips?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Get a new job and a lawyer. I know you can't afford one, but there are lawyers out there that would help you out on a pro-bono basis. Especially for this kind of thing.

NewFresh

Get out then get a lawyer. If you look hard enough, you will be able to find someone willing to do it pro-bono. Especially for the EPA and OSHA violations. I see where you are coming from, but you can't really continue to work at a place where you are not comfortable with what they are doing.

jorma

is now taking requests
These were some weird accusations. "I know someone who is going to plant a bomb in the subway.. AND HE PLANS ON NOT BUYING A TRAIN TICKET WHEN HE DOES IT!!!!" :)

I would forget about two of the charges.
Copyright infringement, who gives a shit? Why would you risk your career for another special interest industry that could not care any less about you?
And i'm pretty sure that 99% of corporate owners use company funds like that. If they are too blatant about it, they'll get what's coming to them eventually. Don't get involved in that. It will just sound petty and like you have a personal beef with the owner in regards to the more serious charge.
Or maybe place an anonymous call with the IRS where you claim he is funding the tea-party. That should help, or so i hear :p

Now, dumping chemicals in the public drainage system or whatever you call it, that sounds a lot more serious. I can't help you with advice, what with me not being US - but i really hope you find a way to expose that because it sounds really shitty. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom