• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Book Club (Jan 2015) - "House of Leaves" by Mark Z. Danielewski

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read this a while back and loved it. Not sure if I'd want to re-read it (so many books to read! I'll do re-reads when I'm old and have read everything good), but I'll pop in when you're near the end to drop some theories and interpretations.

One of my favorites and have yet to read something as crazy as this book. Won't join the re-read but just wanted to say that this book is fantastic.

Necrovex

Meant to do it last summer, but Making of the Atomic Bomb just flattened me. :p

You could always pick a book where normal people would have the time and willpower to read it. :p

Maybe I'll kidnap Cyan's book club and force people to read Cry, The Beloved Country with me. :-D

Nezumi

I have been curious about this book for a while, but the fact that (even if it's for good reasons) there is no Kindle edition has always stopped me from actually getting it but seeing this thread finally made me cave. Just ordered it.

soultron

Banned
Also, anybody who likes the literary aspects of House of Leaves should try The Raw Shark Texts, which is a phenomenal read and also does some fascinating stuff with typesetting and language.
Having read Shark Texts many years ago, that book instantly came to mind when I saw how crazy for the formatting and page layouts are in House of Leaves. I definitely recommend The Raw Shark Texts. From what I remember, the story and conclusion was pretty straightforward and cohesive, which might be different for HoL.

Seeing people recommend Raw Shark Texts makes me want to ask if I should read House of Leaves given that I absolutely hated Raw Shark Texts.

The formatting stuff in Raw Shark Texts just seemed sompletely stupid to me and seemed more gimicky than having any actual reason in the story to do it.

Mike M

Nick N
Most people that have read this book and dislike don't understand it. Most people who have read this book and like it don't understand it. I'm not saying it's the end all be all of books or anything, but it all connects together and makes sense and it is all necessary. Anyone who tells you to just read one part is full of crap and has no idea what the book is about.
No, I have a very good idea of what the book is about. Just because Zampano's contributions to the text's lopsided volume:content ratio is an intentional stylistic choice doesn't make it worth slogging through when you could just consult a Wiki or something to glean the significant portions.

Seeing people recommend Raw Shark Texts makes me want to ask if I should read House of Leaves given that I absolutely hated Raw Shark Texts.

The formatting stuff in Raw Shark Texts just seemed sompletely stupid to me and seemed more gimicky than having any actual reason in the story to do it.

If you hated The Raw Shark Texts, this will drive you batty. I mostly liked RST, but I have conflicted feelings on HoL at best.

Mike M

Nick N
Fun fact: I was first recommended House of Leaves because my house has this little Alice In Wonderland door in my laundry room.
Axx3Zky.jpg

It opens onto madness.
zk0I15O.jpg

No, I have a very good idea of what the book is about. Just because Zampano's contributions to the text's lopsided volume:content ratio is an intentional stylistic choice doesn't make it worth slogging through when you could just consult a Wiki or something to glean the significant portions.

If you're not going to read all the footnotes it's pointless to read the book. Even if one considers it a slog, which I didn't. To say more would be a spoiler I don't want to go into it here for others. But this book should be approached on its own terms, slog, confusion, and all.

Ophelion

Oh, this book. How I love this book. I'm so excited now. I'm gunna start my re-read as soon as I get home from work!

Uzzy

Does anyone have some suggested discussion topics for the book? Or should we just leave our discussions free to wander anywhere?

Rran

Oh wow! I've read this book years ago--have always wanted to go back to it. This certainly gives me incentive to dust it off again. Look forward to participating in the discussion :D

Fantastic book. I love the lore behind it. IIRC the original "book" was like a collection of papers and objects that people passed around a college campus.

It also inspired my latest art media project book thing.

ryseing

I have a copy of HoL laying around, but could never get through it. This thread might be my motivation. Subbed.

Worth buying it hardcover remaster ed color edition 32 eur) or just 14 eur paper back is fine?

If the paperback is also in color, go for that because it's exactly the same page layout. In the U.S. I'm pretty sure the only paperback edition is full color but I'm not sure if this is true internationally. It's hard to separate fact from fiction because the book references other editions of HoL which I'm pretty sure don't actually exist.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Hey, I actually have this one sitting on my desk this time! I guess I could consider a re-read for funsies if time permits. I also picked up the companion piece The Whalestoe Letters way back in the day, which has about a dozen extra pieces of correspondence from Johnny's mother. Great stuff.

HORRORSHØW

Does anyone have some suggested discussion topics for the book? Or should we just leave our discussions free to wander anywhere?
discussions should flow freely. some of the thematic elements (labyrinth, darkness, mythology, meta-fiction, etc.) will naturally enter into the discussion.

Ludovico

Mediocre book, amazing experience.

Got to read this one for the first time last summer - late at night, in bed, with just a lamp.
I definitely payed more attention to the dimensions of my room for those few weeks....

Enjoy, GAF! I'll be lurking for impressions and the occasional inevitable breakdowns.

Yay! I missed GAF Book Club!
I tried to read this about 3 years ago but tapered off about 3/4 of the way through and never picked it back up.
Maybe this time I'll finish it!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Always wanted to read this. Not sure if I actually own a copy lol. Will try to find it or buy one and join the thread. Time to do a kickstart on my reading habits again. Great thread and great choice.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Try your local library!

I'll probably look into that as well :). It's a book with its own cult following and they don't carry many copies. The copies were either reserved or already on loan during the last few times that I had checked.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Woke up to it being outside my door. This book is fucking big. Nice quality though.

Scared a little to read it

But exited too.

Also got Night Film in the mail, I recommend that novel to anyone.

Andrin

Sadly, I won't be able to get hold of my copy until the 7th, but this is the perfect excuse for me to finally go through it. For some reason I just haven't been able to get through more than the first 40 pages so far...

I read this one about 8 years ago. The copious amounts of annotations and parallel stories were such a chore to get through, I absolutely loved the actual Navidson record about the shape shifting house though. I might revisit this one just for the hell of it since it's so unique

There are about 4 different editions of this book right? I'm reading the 2-color 2nd edition.
What about you guys?

That's what I have too. It's funny with this book, I had never heard of it until Alan Wake was coming out on the Xbox and a bunch of people suggested this book.

I found myself writing notes in the book, and keeping a bookmark sheet of paper that I'd write things on. It's a fascinating book, and it's not an easy read, but man if you really let yourself join in on the mystery. It's one of the funnest and intriguing books I've ever read.

I read this one about 8 years ago. The copious amounts of annotations and parallel stories were such a chore to get through, I absolutely loved the actual Navidson record about the shape shifting house though. I might revisit this one just for the hell of it since it's so unique

I'll do it again if you will.

Morpheus-Come-At-Me-Bro-Reaction-Gif-In-The-Matrix.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom