• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games o' the Year Awards 2004 (2012 edition)

Man, 2004 really was awesome.

I didn't vote, but I'd have struggled between MGS3 and Halo 2, and Halo 2 because it finally put my Xbox Live account to use.

I hope these retrospective GOTY threads keep coming.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
2004 would mark the year I finally experienced the MGS series with the Twin Snakes. I did eventually buy a PS2 and get MGS2 and MGS3. Katamari Damacy was the game that really tipped me towards wanting a PS2 to go along side my GCN (although being in PALland I had to settle for We ❤ Katamari).

I really should play HL2. I even bought it during a Steam sale.

randomkid

Apologies cuz I never ever ever do this, but even considering how tiny the participation was and how useless voting thread results tend to be, this result right here

11. Tales of Symphonia - 127
12. Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne - 117

deserves a response along the lines of "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOL"

By the way, it's a nice effort AniHawk, but I'm pretty sure these revote threads are never gonna get any traction. No one seems to be interested in anything that occurs beyond the past year, especially if "results" already exist for a given year.

RooMHM

HL2 not first? Time to vote once more.
The choices, I agree with about ... none of them? Best racing not going to trackmania, best game to MGS3, etc.
To think that Halo 2 had won best FPS originally makes me lose faith in the future of FPS.

AniHawk

By the way, it's a nice effort AniHawk, but I'm pretty sure these revote threads are never gonna get any traction. No one seems to be interested in anything that occurs beyond the past year, especially if "results" already exist for a given year.

the 2008 one got some attention due to the winner being a controversial choice both times. people being made to explain their choices sorta neutered the results.

i think that if people feel passionate about something enough, they can at least write one sentence for one game in a list of up to ten.

Izick

2004 was crazy good.

I'm still one of those crazy people that think MGS 2 is better than 3 though. I'd put MGS 3 at number 3 personally. I played it in like 08', I think, and it was amazing, but HL 2 and GTA: SA were absolutely near perfection.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I didn't mention it in the voting thread but which region would Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter be GotY 2004 in?

b3b0p

Alright, I'll admit and expect some backlash, but I thought Paper Mario for N64 was a terrible game. Maybe not terrible, but it felt so incredibly boring and easy that I could have beat it blind folded with one hand.

Is Paper Mario 2 better? I have it, but it kept getting tossed to the bottom of the backlog and now sits at the bottom of my video game rubbermaid where games go for when I retire and I have nothing left to do in life.

Guess I'll have to play it and LttP it (if only I could post).

b3b0p

Apologies cuz I never ever ever do this, but even considering how tiny the participation was and how useless voting thread results tend to be, this result right here

deserves a response along the lines of "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLLOLOL"

Why? ToS I thought was great. I never could get into Nocturne. It's in my for sale rubbermaid right now.

Colocho

Banned
As much as I love MGS3 (and all things Metal Gear), I have to go with Burnout 3 as my personal GOTY (and probably even of the generation).

AniHawk

I didn't mention it in the voting thread but which region would Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter be GotY 2004 in?

i try to keep track of these things as i'm tallying them, but i must have assumed in 2004 that people knew what game came out when. there is a tendency that people will look at a list and assume certain games count for that year even if it wasn't from their region. this happened with some game in 2005 that i can't remember, or maybe it was 2006.

Alright, I'll admit and expect some backlash, but I thought Paper Mario for N64 was a terrible game. Maybe not terrible, but it felt so incredibly boring and easy that I could have beat it blind folded with one hand.

Is Paper Mario 2 better? I have it, but it kept getting tossed to the bottom of the backlog and now sits at the bottom of my video game rubbermaid where games go for when I retire and I have nothing left to do in life.

Guess I'll have to play it and LttP it (if only I could post).

paper mario 2 is the only reason people really care about the series. the first game was a nice swan song for the n64, but nothing overly special. and super paper mario was a great idea that failed in execution. i found paper mario 2 pretty charming and funny, but it was a slow build to that, to be sure.

Duffyside

Banned
Just chiming in to say that I didn't participate in the voting because I have not played almost any games for 2004, NOT because I've lost interest in these revotes. Good work, Anihawk.

AniHawk

again i cant really argue, but if Paper Mario wouldve magically overtaken GTA..that woudlnt've been a bad thing in my eyes.

this was close to happening early on, when tales of symphonia was #6 or #7.

halo 2 sorta clawed its way back into the top ten. so did ninja gaiden.

the game that surprised me most was zero mission. wasn't expecting it in the top ten. i also had expected pikmin 2 to be the top ranked gamecube game after all these years, but it had the steepest drop.

IrishNinja

halo 2 sorta clawed its way back into the top ten. so did ninja gaiden.

the game that surprised me most was zero mission. wasn't expecting it in the top ten. i also had expected pikmin 2 to be the top ranked gamecube game after all these years, but it had the steepest drop.

yeah, see...these kinda things are interesting because of that. granted, a number of the original crowd voting might be gone now (how much larger are we since then, as well?), but you really see titles age this way.

it's cool seeing Zero Mission come up, maybe Pikmin 2 fell because a) until NPC version drops soon, it's very hard/expensive to come by, and b) franchise has been dead since then.

the other thing that always gets me is that there's inevitably titles i still haven't manged to play/complete. any idea what year you're doing next?

AniHawk

the other thing that always gets me is that there's inevitably titles i still haven't manged to play/complete. any idea what year you're doing next?

the plan is to alternate between myself and timetokill/cheesemeister month-to-month.

april - 1980s
may - 2004
june - 1991
july - 2005
august - 1992
september - 2006
november - 1993
december - 2012
january - 2012 (probably)
february - 2007
march - 1994
and then they'd probably run things monthly or bi-monthly until they hit 2003 (december 2013 or february 2014).

and 2008 was the first one. i was just going to stop at 2007 because that would cover the five years i did it, but 2009 was the only one where a top ten wasn't part of the equation when it came to voting, so if timetokill/cheesemeister are okay with it, i might cover that as a what-if. uncharted 2 would still win anyway, though.

IrishNinja

probably would.

looking forward to them man - the 2k's are always fun, as you said, seeing which titles hold up/do better/fall the fuck off, but man, the 90's ones are gonna be a blast. so many arguments forthcoming.

Derp, I just realized that Kururin Squash! was released in 2004. If I had been aware of that when I voted, I probably would have had it in 5th place.

AniHawk

Forgot to vote again, but nice to see Paper Mario 2 and Metroid Prime 2 on the top 10, those are my favorites from that year along with OutRun 2.

Speaking of which, why is OR2 not listed in the "Racing" category?

oh yeah.

it was actually second place this year. and it was third place in 2004! i do it in the 2004 thread either...

oh well, fixed now.

Top Bottom