• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Stafford

If they're adding a 40hz mode to this. I really hope this is a precursor to Starfield getting one too~

But I gotta wonder what kind of cutbacks will have to be made to get that working.

People asking for 40 fps that's some depressing shit.

Why? Starfield launched in only 30fps and it was never gonna be 60fps. If they add a optional mode for 40fps which should be a significantly better experience....what is depressing about that?

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Would have been nice to be a play anywhere title.
Should have the option to not upgrade as I presume I have to transfer to ssd from my external hardrive now.

LordCBH

That's why FOV should officially be added to the game.
I guess they don't want people to make certain things easier.
But the default FOV is way too claustrophobic for good gameplay.
They should at least allow a setting to 90.

Would be pretty cool if they could have a category of mods they have to verify don’t make gameplay changes but make things like “change fov” or other qol options added via mods not disable things. Probably too much work though.

Edit: saw there’s a 40fps mode on current gen devices! Thanks Bethesda! Can y’all get with other Xbox owned studios and convince them to add thst to their games too?

Last edited:

buenoblue

What a journey 😂. I have the ps plus version in my library. Tried to buy the game yesterday on sale but said I already own the game🙃. All good I own it, can't buy it so I'm good.

Find out today that ps plus version doesn't upgrade 😭. I'm like piece of shit. So I look around on eBay for a used disc copy and buy one for £6. Won't be delivered till next week.

I get home from work and sit down and my stack of old PS4 games in the TV unit catch my eye. I go over and to my surprise there is a sealed copy of Fallout fucking 4 PS4 disc 😂😭😂😭

I can't remember buying it lol 😂. I already own the game on PC and the VR version 🙃. Now I have those plus 2 fucking PS4 disc copies, ps plus version and PS5 digital version!

I don't even like fallout fucking 4 😂😂

Stafford

PC - same thing with stretched wide-screen.
Steam Deck - Forced 30fps and previous fixes no longer work. Frame pacing is not good.
PS5 - 4K30/40 or 1440p 60 at ultra settings
Xbox - Same as PS5.

So before this patch, we were playing the Pro and One X versions. Was that at like low or medium settings? A DF video should be interesting on this to see why it can't easily run at 4K/60fps on the two consoles. Curious how noticeable those differences are.

Scary_Larry

Neo Member
What a journey 😂. I have the ps plus version in my library. Tried to buy the game yesterday on sale but said I already own the game🙃. All good I own it, can't buy it so I'm good.

Find out today that ps plus version doesn't upgrade 😭. I'm like piece of shit. So I look around on eBay for a used disc copy and buy one for £6. Won't be delivered till next week.

I get home from work and sit down and my stack of old PS4 games in the TV unit catch my eye. I go over and to my surprise there is a sealed copy of Fallout fucking 4 PS4 disc 😂😭😂😭

I can't remember buying it lol 😂. I already own the game on PC and the VR version 🙃. Now I have those plus 2 fucking PS4 disc copies, ps plus version and PS5 digital version!

I don't even like fallout fucking 4 😂😂
I feel this. Really misleading and unsure if that’s a mistake of some sort. I even purchased the Season Pass last night while it was on sale.

hemo memo

Gold Member
I have no idea what enhancements there are besides running at a higher framerate without breaking, but it's locked at 120hz at 4K Ultra on my rig, which you'd hope for with a 10 year old game running on an RTX4080 and i7 13700k...
So I will be fine with my RTX4070 and i7 12700F.

TVexperto

Would be pretty cool if they could have a category of mods they have to verify don’t make gameplay changes but make things like “change fov” or other qol options added via mods not disable things. Probably too much work though.

Edit: saw there’s a 40fps mode on current gen devices! Thanks Bethesda! Can y’all get with other Xbox owned studios and convince them to add thst to their games too?
I dont see the 40fps mode?!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Well I don't have an ultrawide monitor. Bought the game for 10 bucks on Steam last week anticipating the PC update.

From the sounds of it, this is less than impressive. I guess it's not a remaster, but why hype up features like ultra wide when most folks don't have it.

Being able to play at 4k 120 is nice though.

Last edited:

King Dazzar

Can we get some impressions instead of bitching and tears? Holy shit
Triggers so far arent working - just got the pistol. But rumble is good. Early days, but frame rate very stable and res great (Performance mode on). No HDR as expected, so I'm forcing HLG with my TV. Stick sensitivity is excellent. I'm good with it so far for a free patch.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
But I gotta wonder what kind of cutbacks will have to be made to get that working.

Why? Starfield launched in only 30fps and it was never gonna be 60fps. If they add a optional mode for 40fps which should be a significantly better experience....what is depressing about that?
Why not? There is nothing about that engine that justifies it being locked to 30. With effort, I have little doubt they could get it to 60.

Pop

Taking advantage of 1440p on console is pretty neat instead of forcing 4K then downscaling. I'd imagine 4K has frame drops so 1440p would help.

Or maybe 4K on Fallout 4 doesn't have fps drops and the 1440p mode is worthless

Yerd

It's been 8 years since I played this and I never actually finished the game. I don't know if I will be able to finish it.

I used to have an UW but just recently upgraded to 32" oled monitor. That upgrade will be useless to me.

zKNNkIE.jpeg
JqZFsSX.jpeg

Mortisfacio

It's been 8 years since I played this and I never actually finished the game. I don't know if I will be able to finish it.

I used to have an UW but just recently upgraded to 32" oled monitor. That upgrade will be useless to me.

zKNNkIE.jpeg
JqZFsSX.jpeg

Same boat for me, but I've got 37.2 hours on it. I stopped playing in 2015 to play another game and didn't go back to it. I tried playing again last week and only made it a few hours. It's just... not very fun. I haven't truly clicked with a Bethesda game since Skyrim in 2011, but even then I tried going back to it and don't enjoy it. I think newer open world games like RDR2, Witcher 3, CP2077, etc. just ruined the Bethesda magic for me.

Last edited:

intbal

Starfield averages 25-30 watts lower than nearly every other game on Series X.
They're not making use of the hardware at all.
It should already be at 60fps. No clue what they're waiting for.

6Qra3FW.jpeg

LordCBH

6Qra3FW.jpeg

I’d also argue that Starfield isn’t doing anything more ambitious than FO4 did, and somehow doesn’t look too much better.

Yerd

Same boat for me, but I've got 37.2 hours on it. I stopped playing in 2015 to play another game and didn't go back to it. I tried playing again last week and only made it a few hours. It's just... not very fun. I haven't truly clicked with a Bethesda game since Skyrim in 2011, but even then I tried going back to it and don't enjoy it. I think newer open world games like RDR2, Witcher 3, CP2077, etc. just ruined the Bethesda magic for me.
Well, my experience was mostly the opposite. F4 was the first bethesda game that I enjoyed. I don't have more than a few hours in any of the others. Though I fall for the rave every single time and want to play them until I actually get in them. But, I've learned and wait a few years for big discounts, since Oblivion.

Most of my playtime in F4 is probably attributed to base building.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

6Qra3FW.jpeg

Probably CPU limited with the GPU idling a lot? GPU uses more power.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Im so confused...i had the PS4 version installed before today. I go to PSN today and see the PS4/PS5 version for $19.99....i click on that and it takes me to my game i already had installed and it shows as "Play game".

Do i have the PS5 version or not? When i turned on my PS5 today it updated Fallout 4 to version 1.36.....

King Dazzar

On PS5 and performance mode on, whatever DRS is going on is minimal. It's got to be very close to native 4k. I'm only so far as the museum, but its great so far. Draw distance etc is all very good. No need at all for VRR so far.

Also theres some other improvements going on here. For example the terminal text speeds I'm sure are much quicker. I'm loving this version.

Top Bottom