• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Games of the Year 2012 - Voting Thread, now closed. Thanks for all the fish.

1. Halo 4;Absolutely excellent job done by 343. I feel it lives up to the Halo name. Beautiful visuals, fun combat encounters, amazing voice acting and mo-cap, emotional zen between Chief and Cortana. Weapons and vehicles are as fun as ever, and the multiplayer is addictive. Love Spartan Ops. Can't wait to see what they do next gen.

2. Mass Effect 3;While I do shit on the ending fullstop, I can't deny that everything in the game up until the last 5 minutes was spectacular. Combat is the best in the series, dialogue and conversations are what you'd expect, and there were some really, really memorable moments in the game.

3. Assassin's Creed 3;Great historical setting, fun combat and multiplayer, naval battles are fun.

4. Call of Duty: Black Ops 2;Good ol' COD gameplay, love the branching storyline, and the mission variety was welcome. Addictive multiplayer as usual.

5. Forza Horizon;What can I say really? Just good racing. Beautiful graphics to boot.

Tom_Cody

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising; Awesome gameplay, presentation, story, voice acting, ect. The definition of a perfect 10 game to me. I absolutely love the unique control scheme. The sliding intensity gauge is a fantastic innovation, especially with how it ties into the loot/weapon system. On that note, I love the uniqueness of the different weapon classes (Palms 4lyf). I will be crushed if Sakurai doesn't make a Wii U iteration once he's done with the next Smash title.

REV 09

Going into this i honestly had no idea what Gaf would rally around, unlike previous years. It seems that a pattern is forming on The Walking Dead & Journey. Rounding out the top ten will likely include Hotline Miami, Borderlands 2, Dishonored, maybe Max Payne...i don't know.

As for me, i still need to play Dishonored, Sleeping Dogs, and AC3 before posting my list.

Lusankya

1. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward; A brilliant sequel to a brilliant game. I love the story and the characters exactly like I did in 999 and the overall controls and puzzles got even better. I am very happy we will see a third game in this sadly mostly overlooked series.

2. Persona 4: Golden; I already played the sh*t out of it on the PS2, but this version is even better. Many new scenes, gameplay tweaks and two new S.Links and a new dungeon will ensure that even P4 veterans will enjoy this game.

3. Catherine; I am from Europe so I could only enjoy this game since this year. It has a great story, with themes you usually don't see in a video game. The gameplay seems to be strange at first (and also at second and third) glance, but is very funny and addicting.

4. Dishonored; A very nice game, if you go for stealth... I especially like the setting and atmosphere of the game.

5. Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask; - Well, it's another Layton game, but I liked the story much better than in PL4 and the puzzles still never fail to entertain me.

6. Resident Evil: Revelations; The only good Resident Evil game this year and also overall a good game. Very nice graphics for the 3DS.

7. Thearthythm Final Fantasy; You like rythm games? You like the music of Final Fantasy. Well, that's the perfect mixture of both.

2011. Batman: Arkham City; I only got the game once the Goty version was out and I really missed one of the best games of 2011! This game has brilliant gameplay, a fantastic OST and also a really good German dub. :D

monome

1. Halo 4 ; Great game. Great visuals. Great music.

2. Asura's Wrath; Won't bother explain. I loved it.

3. Binary Domain ; Love me some robots. Love me some Japan. Love me some TPS.

4. Mass Effect 3 ; Should be n°2. Enough has been said.

5. Dragon's Dogma ; Game is too long for me, but fuck yeah at those mechanics.

Interfectum

1. XCOM: Enemy Unknown ; Best game of the year, easily.

2. The Walking Dead ; Most memorable gaming experience I had all year.

3. Sleeping Dogs ; My surprise hit of the year. Loved driving around the city and loved the main character, Wei Shen. More pork buns!

4. Dishonored ; Disappointed in this game overall but still a very satisfying stealth game and it has fantastic art direction.

5. Mark of the Ninja ; Like Sleeping Dogs, another big surprise for me. I didn't think they could successfully replicate a stealth game in 2D with the same depth as a Splinter Cell but damn if they didn't pull it off.

6. Hitman: Absolution ; Not near as good as past Hitman games, it still provided me with the best Hitman experience since Blood Money.

7. Borderlands 2

8. Spec Ops: The Line ; Bump this game down to easy and play through it simply for the story. A fun ride for sure.

9. Torchlight 2

10. Mass Effect 3 ; The interaction between Shepard and Garrius coupled with the fun gameplay and decent multiplayer is why if even made this list at all. Dat ending... =/

x. Dota 2 ; I have to mention this game seeing as how I put over 400 hours into it this year but I won't include it in any true GOTY lists until it's officially released. I suspect it'll be pretty high on my 2013 list.

Rapstah

I take it that the PC release of Rocksmith does not qualify as a 2012 game? It basically adds no content over the console versions with the bass DLC installed.

IoCaster

1. Dark Souls; Durante Edition (PC) As barebones as any port that I've ever seen, but with a lot of help from Durante and some KB/M tweaking it really came together as a pure gaming experience. No frills, no fuss, minimal cutscene intrusion and freedom to explore the game world hooked me from the start. I was never deterred by all of the times that I failed to make progress. I simply grit my teeth, adjusted my tactics accordingly and plunged back in with a steely determination to never let the game beat me down. This is the type of experience that has kept me playing video games for over 20 years.

nixonthumbsup.jpg

canedaddy

1. Journey ; A beautiful, unforgettable experience that joins the ranks of my all-time favorites.
2. The Walking Dead.
3. Borderlands 2.
4. Sleeping Dogs.
5. Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning.
6. Asura's Wrath.
7. Tokyo Jungle.
8. Papo & Yo.

2011. Yakuza 4.

Bad year for gaming overall. I still managed to make a top 10 list somehow:

1. Journey ; Dat Atmosphere. Amazing game that really touched me
2. Dishonored ; Just a great game. Finally something unique in this genre
3. Hitman: Absolution ; Everything I wanted out of a Hitman game
4. Far Cry 3 ; I hated FC2, but 3 is quite good.
5. Binary Domain
6. Sleeping Dogs
7. Dragon's Dogma
8. Borderlands 2
9. Max Payne 3
10. Spec Ops: The Line ; Hated the gameplay, but the story warrants a place in the top 10

x. Mass Effect 3 ; Hated the ending. Everything before is amazing, but that moment singlehandedly destroyed everything.

Booter

1. Super Hexagon (iOS) - one of the best video games I have ever played. Terry is a master.

2. Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (Windows) - it's sort of dead online but I never get tired of playing CS Office.

3. FTL: Faster Than Light (Windows) - addictive, well designed, a wonderful roguelike.

Tain

Some questions about game eligibility:

Mushihimesama. This is a 2004 arcade game that received a shitty PS2 port in '05 and in 2012 got a 360 release that is identical except with all of the art re-rendered at 4x the resolution. All releases Japan-only. Yay or nay?

Under Defeat HD. This is a 2005 arcade game ported to the Dreamcast in 2006 and then brought to 360/PS3 in 2012. The new releases run in HD but use the same assets. I'm assuming this game is fine for NA people, though, given that this is the first year it's seen an NA release. Pretty sure I voted for this back in '06 so I won't be voting for it again, but hey, never hurts to be clear.

The Steam Ys releases and Monster World IV. I'm assuming these are fine, given that they're new localizations.

Lunchbox

Banned
1. Borderlands 2: Goty ONLY WITH friends online, by yourself not even worth mentioning

2. Mass Effect 3: fuck this game, but nah. thats just the ending leaving a bad taste and ruining everything. Alls well that ends well, but it works the other way too i guess. Blocking out the last half and hour and thinking about Mordin's conclusion, the genophase and other high parts of that game it still deserves a mention.

3. Max Payne 3: Worst game of the series, terrible controls (Which is rockstars trademark this gen thanks to their shit engine) and weird decisions with the character. But a bad max payne is still better than most games on the market. Brazil was amazing multiplayer was bad

4. Halo 4: safe but meh, but fun but meh, but still ok

5. Fifa 13: best one since 2010, still not perfect. same problems as every year, but they keep trying i guess unlike the madden team

megalowho

This thread is telling me I should bump Kid Icarus, Sleeping Dogs and VLR towards the top of my buy/play list. I think I'd be ok with that.

Necrovex

This list will continue to be updated right up to the deadline. I still have a few games that I need to play before the year is up. Anyway, here's my current list:

1. Persona 4 Golden; I do not play games in long sittings anymore. My average time is 45 minutes. I discovered myself losing a day because of this game. It fixed all of the mechanic issues from vanilla, added stuff that I didn't even know I wanted, and the new story content is wonderful. This is the definitive version of Persona 4, and it has replaced the vanilla version in my top 10 list of favorite games ever.

2. Virtue's Last Reward; I am a gigantic fan of 999, and this game resolved every issue I had with 999, well at least with its game design. I am still a bigger fan of the story and tone in the first game, but VLR did not disappoint with its plot or characters. Plus, it had the best voice acted character this generation, Zero the Third.

3. Asura's Wrath; I knew almost nothing about this game, I rented it on a whim since I dig CyberConnect 2, and I love my Japanese ass games. Holy fuck, I was blown away. This game is the definition of epic.

4. Katawa Shoujo; A 4chan post sums this up perfectly, "I went in prepared to fap, but I wasn't prepared to feel." (No, *I* was not prepared to fap before anyone ask.)The best OST of this year, and one of the few games where I felt for the characters. I had so much emotions for these characters and their troubles. The writing, for the most part, was all top notch, excluding one character's path. This was a very meaty game too, which I was not prepared for.

5. Gravity Rush; When I made my way to Georgia for some white-water rafting, I had a lot of time to kill in the car, so I decided it was finally time to open up Gravity Rush. I heard a few things about it prior to me playing it, but nothing that could prepare me for its awesomeness. Kat is an amazing character. The OST is top-notch, listen to this awesomeness! This is the best exclusive Vita title to date.

6. Binary Domain; On the surface, Binary Domain simply looks like another third person shooter, but under the generic surface, one finds an extremely charming game. The story is crazy, but extremely enjoyable, and the characters are all developed (besides the British woman, but fuck her). There are a lot of minor details that can occur depending on how one handles the characters.

7. Witcher II: Enhanced Edition; I had to wait to upgrade my desktop before I could play this beauty of a game, so when I upgraded my card last year, I decided to simply wait for the new edition of Witcher II. I'm glad I did. I will always enjoy a Witcher game, and I will always adore those characters. This would be higher on the list if it wasn't an update of a title from last year.

8. The Walking Dead; This would have been a lot higher on my list if the technical issues were not awful. I lost my save file before the third episode came out. Besides that, this is how Heavy Rain should have been. There were no right or wrong choices; there were no paragon or renegade choices. Even if my choices were all an illusion, they were my choices, and they felt real. This would have been a lot higher on my list if the tech side wasn't garbage.

9. The Darkness II; I hate FPSes. I am not a fan of the genre at all. When I do like a FPS, it tends to be a hybrid of sort or something completely different from the norm (i.e. Mirror's Edge and Metroid Prime), so I decided to get The Darkness II on a whim (so cheap!). It may be a very short game (I logged in about five hours by the time I finished the game), but I had a shit load of fun; I also became interested in the overall IP. This is a special sort of FPS, and I hope to see a Darkness III sometime in the future.

10. Mass Effect 3; The ending blew, but I am still glad this game exists. It did a lot of things right (it also did a lot of things wrong), but the highs are really damn high.

Honorable mentions: Final Fantasy XIII-2, and Spec Ops. Both of these were very enjoyable games, however many of them still had too many issues for me to place them on my GOTY list. I disliked playing Spec Ops, but I had a lot of respect for what it attempts to do in the medium. Sleeping Dog was in my top 10, then I played Persona 4 Golden, sorry Sleeping Dog!

As I play through more games, I will continue to update my list. I still need to play Persona 4 Golden, Journey , Borderlands 2, Hitman , X-Com, The Last Story, and Xenoblade (if I can ever get Dolphin to work properly with that title).

LTTP 2011 Vote: Yakuza 4.

1 Persona 4 Golden; loved the new content and being able to play it on-the-go should set a new standard for portable JRPGs
2 Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
3 Atelier Meruru
4 Kid Icarus
5 Pokemon BW2
6 Mass Effect 3
7 Gravity Rush
8 KH: Dream Drop Distance
9 Final Fantasy Dimensions (iOS)
10 Assassin's Creed 3

1. Mark of the Ninja; Amazingly well designed and the best stealth game in years.
2. XCOM: Enemy Unknown; a great modern take on a classic staying true to a lot of the spirit of the original.
3. The Pinball Arcade; Portable versions of a lot of my favorite pinball games (though where is Whitewater already?)
4. FTL; inventive and tense and fun to fail, marred only by a subpar final battle.
5. Borderlands 2
6. Summoner Wars; a great asynchronous strategy/card game
7. Diablo 3
8. Legend of Grimrock
9. Asura's Wrath

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
1. Journey ; Finally proved the point that games can be truly Artistic.
2. Dragon's Dogma ; Unexpectedly great new IP from Capcom, loved it.
3. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; I really liked it, underrated imho.
4. The Unfinished Swan ; Clever, fun, exercise in aesthetics and mechanical design.
5. Dyad ; Out-psyched Jeff Minter at his own game. Lovely.
6. Velocity; A great little game that noone played. Reminiscent of a lost Amiga classic.
7. Datura ; Not entirely successful, but it certainly has its moments.

My work-in-progress list, PSN+ absolutely wrecked my play-time in the second half of the year.

BibiMaghoo

1. Hitman Absolution.

Having read so much disappointment from others I find myself in an unpopular position of actually being really happy with the game. Sure the story is bad, the disguise system different and some levels restrictive compared to older games, but beneath these quibles is a fucking fantastically playable stealth game. One that I keep going back to. Best stealth game I have played all gen, and so my game of the year.

2. Sleeping dogs.
3. Xcom: enemy unknown.
4. Journey.
5. Darksiders 2
6. Max Payne 3
7. Starhawk.
8. Assassins creed : liberation
9. Tba
10. tba

That's all for now, ill edit later when not on my phone.

iNvid02

edit - changed to top five

calling it now, gaf's top five games of the year. maybe not in that order

walking dead
journey
xcom enemy unknown
kid icarus uprising
dishonored

Pretty sure Sleeping Dogs will be somewhere in the top five as well.

i dunno, dishonored seems to be on a huge amount of lists, even if its not near the top - dem single points adding up

eXistor

1. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; I consider this to be one of the best games Nintendo has ever put out and as you all know: that's some high praise indeed. Sakurai and his team have managed to pack this game so full of great ideas and stuff to do, this could easily be the only game you'll play all year. Perfect controls, beautiful graphics, spectacular music and very funny dialogues with a huge cast of charming characters make this a true Nintendo classic.

2. Dragon's Dogma ; The game Elder Scrolls wished it could be again. This is a game that ticks all the boxes I want adventure games to tick: A huge and beautifully designed world, pitch-black nights, giant monsters, intuitive and hugely satisfying combat, hardly any fast-travel (gotta prepare before venturing forth!). It may not be perfect; side-quests are pretty terrible for the most part, too few dungeons, technical issues and even though I find the game incredibly charming, the characters certainly don't attribute to this. On the whole though, this is a true adventure game in a day and age where true adventure games are a rare commodity. Treasure this one folks.

3. Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward ; I just finished this (seriously not half an hour ago), but I had already planned to put this on spot 3. I think I can safely say this is the most interesting and well told story in any video game I have ever played. It constantly has you guessing at its goings-on and just when you think you have a sound theory they throw new, mindblowing info at you. It certainly helps if you've played 999, and if you haven't, there's probably something wrong with you. VLR is the better one though, the stories' twists and turns may seem far-fetched sometimes, but they're handled very convincingly in the context of the game. If I had to criticise the game, it would be on two points. First off is the art-style. 999 had hand-drawn characters, this had cheap looking 3d models. I found this to be a huge downgrade and I sincerely hope the third one will go back to hand-drawn characters. Second is the fact that you have to replay a lot of similar parts of the story. It's all logical, but after reading unskippable dialogue that's 99% the same as previously encountered it can get a bit tedious as times. It doesn't matter in the long run though, this is one of the best told stories in gaming and everyone needs to experience it.

4. Paper Mario: Sticker Star ; Don't listen to reviews on this one, it's great. They may have axed a lot of elements that people consider to be integral to the best Paper Mario's (story and rpg system), but I say: give this one a chance. It's not like they didn't add new elements to the mix. There's a bigger focus on exploration and puzzling. In fact, the game has some point 'n click blood running through its vains it seems. Nintendo also finally decided to let go of our hands and let us figure stuff out on our own. The more negative reviews I've read name this as one of their biggest problems with the game. Do people really want literally everything spelled out for them? I thought we were all clamouring for a return to this style of gameplay. When Skyward Sword was released last year, people were all on Nintendo's shit for making it too hand-holdy, now they made a game that holds no hands and people are lost and confused? Fuck off. This game makes players think for themselves and I for one find this to be a breath of fresh air. It caters more to oldskool gaming fans and the game is all the better for it.

5. Borderlands 2 ; I did not expect this. Borderlands 1 was fun, but had a lot of issues; boring quests, weak pay-off, repetitive. Borderlands 2 is everything Borderlands 1 could have been. The game is funny as hell, the maps are way more diverse, everything just gels better and also has one of the year's best villains in Handsome Jack. Unfortunately the quests haven't fared as well, they still suffer from some major repetitiveness and a lot are very uninspired, but the core of the game is shooting shit and the game passes with flying colors in that respect, even in the shitty missions.

6. Legend of Grimrock ; aka the succesful return of the dungeon crawler. I'm sure there have been many more before this, but I don't think they did it with as much gusto as Legend of Grimrock. In essence, this is the same game Dungeon Master was back in the day, but updated and modernized in all the right areas, never losing sight of what makes these games awesome.

7. Dishonored ; Not quite the game I hoped it would be, but by and large a succesful entry in the sneaking genre. At its best the game is exhilerating; getting into places you're not supposed to be, the feeling of tension is almost palpable. This extends to quite a few missions and it's that aspect that made the game earn its number 6 slot. Then there's the bad side, or rather, the side I don't agree with. This is a mainstream game. It is incredibly easy and the player had way too many aids to make this game a cake walk. I started on hard, but after not feeling challenged in any way I switched to the hardest setting and unfortunately, the challenge still remained elusive. Had the game ommited all the various superpowers, or at the very least Blink, the game would be infinitely more interesting. That's not to say the game doesn't work, it's simply a personal preference. I'm sure there are droves of people that like the powers the player has and I've seen some very impressive videos on youtube by players that really use the combat system creatively in a way I never did. It's just that I personally don't want combat to factor in the game at all. I suppose I'd rather the game was Thief 4, but don't take that to mean I don't like the game. It's quality through and through and for the most part I love it and I wish more of these will be made.

8. ZombiU ; A return to survival horror? Yes please! The grimy setting, purposely stiff combat, inventory management, perma-death, methodically scanning environments for secrets and clues all the while trying to survive the zombie apocalypse sounds like a dream game come true, right? Well, it's not quite there yet, but ZombiU makes a very good case for the genre. Everything I mentioned is in the game, most of it doesn't quite work the way you'd like to see, but in the end, it still very much works. The game is very forgiving about dying. There's basically no penalty, you start with a fresh survivor and all you have to do is kill you previous (zombified) survivor to get all your loot back. Not that it really matters though, all important upgrades are automatically transferred to your new survivor. There's also very few secrets to actually uncover and the loot is always the same: some healing items, some bullets. Now, you need this stuff, but if getting hungry actually was a problem in the game, finding food would mean something. My biggest issue with the game is probably that the game follows a very linear path. Items spawn, story doors unlock and zombie attacks occur all when the game wants them to, making the experience feel more restrictive than it should. Games like Dark Souls or Metroid present worlds where the items exist in the world, waiting for the player to be uncovered if he has the right idea of where to look or if he has the right skillset or tools. This also applies to ZombiU, but it's just not quite on par with those games. If it seems I'm being overly negative; I don;t think I am. I love that ZombiU even has all these aspect in there to begin with, I'm just saying, should ZombiU 2 ever be made (I hope it will be) there's a lot of room for improvement. But as it stands I'm very happy with ZombiU for simply being the game it is.

9. Rhythm Heaven Fever ; Rhythm Heaven Perfection more like. This is the best, most creative rhythm-based game I've played, bar none. The vast majority of mini-games are just a constant stream of joy. If you don't have a giant smile on your face playing this game, I do believe I hate you.

10. Hotline Miami ; Talk about coming out of left-field. When I first heard the title I thought it would be some cheap dating sim or something. Then I clicked the title and saw the high scores it was getting. Color me interested, but what is it? I quickly looked up a video and after a few seconds figured it would be a top-down shooter like a million other ones. What made the game score so highly though? Then I read some reviews and I think he Eurogamer one or the RPS wrote-up convinced me (maybe both). I vbought the game and liek so many here, was blown away. This a neon-colored, raw, filthy, uncomfortable, drug-infused, methodical slaughterhouse of a game and...I...love...it. Story's interesting too even if I don't think get it at all.

Honorable Mentions:

x. The Unfinished Swan ; A great little "experience" game like Journey. This has to be viewed as an interactive childrens book and a charming one at that. The game has some great gameplay ideas and even if the controls are sometimes a bit janky, the game's beautiful vistas make sure you are never bored. Well, that and the game is only 3 hours long.

x. Risen 2 ; A good sequel to the even better original. The good folks at Piranha Bytes sure know how to craft game worlds. If you don't care too much about story, combat, technical prowess and character development, but just want to explore beautiful islands, then this is the game for you. The game really does have quite a few flaws, but PB knows what the fans want out of their games and it's those aspects that they absolutely nail.

x. The Book of Unwritten Tales ; Fantastic point 'n click adventure with a surprisingly decent translation and some genuinely good humor. Won't win points for originality (it basically copies the classic LucasArts games), but it is a great entry to the genre nontheless. The puzzles are varied and most importantly, logical. You'll rarely be stumped by the puzzles, but they still make you feel smart for solving them (especially later on when they do get more difficult). Highly recommended for fans of the genre.

x. New Super Mario Bros. U ; It's NSMB, what more do you need to know. The reason I would choose this over NSMB2 is that this one at least tries to feel fresh even if it is the same game again. The updated graphics look great, the SMW style overworld makes a very welcome return and the levels are actually quite long (sometimes they feel stetched out though). To be brutally honest, I think NSMB2 has this game beat in level design, but where that game played it safe, this at least added some new features. And while I'm at it: I quite like the new main theme (BAH's excepted of course).

x. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy ; only FF fans need apply. If you are, great, ifnot move along. Then again: who the hell doesn't like FF's music? Cute aesthetics and solid mechanics only add to the package

x. New Super Mario Bros. 2 ; This or NSMBU? A harder choice than you might think. NSMB2 is pretty villified on Gaf for some reason. I get it though: it's a predictable entry, with trademark shitty music, aesthetically safe and it seems so much like a cash-in. But play and find a game superior not to just NSMB1 (still the highest scoring one of the bunch, shows what critics know) but NSMBWii as well. It's all in the level design. It's more dense and stuffed with more hidden stuff than you can shake a stick at. Levels rarely repeat themselves and it's more based on exploration than most 2D Mario's, NSMBU included. If NSMB2 had NSMBU's overworld, this would be one of the best 2D Mario's out there.

x. The Walking Dead ; The story and characters make this, but it's a shame the game tries to be so much more and falls flat on its face trying to do so. The puzzles are insultingly simplistic and i the end, your choices have precious little impact on the story, making them feel insignificant. Add to that a number of bugs and glitches (which is unforgivable for a game in which you effectively do nothing) and you're left with nothing but story and its inhabitants. Thank God they nailed that aspect at least and of course those count the most in this type of game.

x. Sleeping Dogs ; one of the more solid games this year. A well designed world, likeable cast, good music, solid mechanics, decent story. There's nothing really wrong with this game, it's just also not very surprising. I feel like I've done all the game has to offer before, making me feel like I'm going through the motions sometimes.

x. Binary Domain ; I generally don't like shooters like this, but BD is an exception. Fun characters and story, very satisfying gunplay (most satisfying headshots ever?) very diverse levels and situations make this a great entry in a genre that usually bores the tears out of me with games like Gears of War and its ilk.

x. Journey ; Not quite as memorable as many would have you believe, but still a gorgeous game that desereves to be experienced at least once. After that, it loses much of its power as it tries to keep players interested by giving us "gamey" things to do, which is a shame because as game it's not very interesting.

x. Nintendo Land ; Pretty surprising, this one. €60 for a collection of minigames? What the hell Nintendo! After playing it, I understood though. This is worth full price. Most of these games are extremely well thought out and feels just right, they certainly have that Nintendo polish. As I don't generally play MP, I rarely get to experience the game the way it's meant to be, but it's obvious from watching videos and my limited time playing it in mp that this could very well be amongst the best party games ever devised.

x. Hitman: Absolution ; I guess this being my first Hitman game is a good thing. I loved a lot of levels in this and found the grindhouse-style and weird-ass humor to be very effective. There were a few bum levels (Dexter Industries...ugh) and the game focused a bit too much on evasion-style levels, but the sheer diversity and mindblowing graphics (some of the best I've seen) coupled with a very thick atmosphere made this an extremely enjoyable game to me. I'm gonna be playing Blood Money next and I'm very curious to see if it manages to tarnish my view on Absolution like it seems to have done to many people.

Most Disappointing.
Not gonna waste too much time on these. These were simply the game I expected a lot of, but turned out to be shit or just very mediocre.

-Far Cry 3 ; way too mainstream and safe for its own good. What little good the game did (pretty game world, amazing villain in Vaas, some cool randomness in the world) was wasted by its insulting game design. FC2 dared to be different and stumbled, but at least kept its dignity. FC3 just wants to be like the rest and blends in with the crowd. A sellout if you will.

-Mass Effect 3 ; I say disappointing, but the signs were clear: ME1 was a fairly open rpg with a LOT of problems that needed fixing, but it had the right idea. ME2 dropped everything that needed fixing in favor of more linear shoot-outs. No surprise that ME3 was made to be a linear corridor shooter. In its defense: the mechanics are pretty good and I liked spending some more time with the Normandy crew that I have grown to like and sometimes love, it's just such a shame that ME has become just another shooter.

-Max Payne 3 (I'm seeing a pattern here) ; great shooting mechanics, likeable lead and interesting story can't hide the fact that the levels suck. There a few good ones, but by and large I felt very bored by the same damn "rooms full of dudes" structure the game has. The game felt very one-note.

-Gravity Rush ; Vita needed this one. On paper (and in trailers) it looked so good. The game has a likeable lead in Kat, great graphics and a great concept, it's too bad the devs forgot to actually make a game out of it. I's like the missions were an afterthought. "Here, just fight dozens of enemies...AGAIN!" A bore to play through and it should have been so good.

-Darksiders 2 ; A typically bland and boring sequel. The kind that should never be allowed to exist. Instead of acknowledging the flaws in Darksiders 1 (which was a nice try at least), they went ahead and made the same game again. Boring dungeons designs, drab graphics, shitty world design. No Zelda will be challenged by this weak copycat.

Coxy

I am from Ireland but I import some japanese games which I will note

1. Atelier Meruru; Gust did it again.another wonderfully charming game with a bunch of loveable characters and better exploration and battles than previous installments

2. The 2nd Super Robot Wars Original Generations (japanese); Often when you're waiting a decade or more for a sequel it either doesnt happen, or the end result doesnt live up to the expectations that had built up over that time frame. Thankfully this one actually delivered in spades. Huge amounts of attention to detail, lots of little labour of love touches, huge amounts of content and pretty much delivers on nearly every plot point I wanted to see.

3. Tales of Graces F; I wasn't expecting to like this one as much as I did, I grew a strong dislike for the franchise after Tales of the Abyss and Legendia and I'd heard a lot of bad things about the characters and plot in this. I was pretty happy with it though and enjoyed the title system and combat quite a bit.

4. Sonic & Allstars Racing Transformed; I loved the first game of this and the second is even better, moving from a kart racer to an arcade racer with multiple vehicle modes this would be on the list for the great gameplay alone. The sega fanservice, Richard Jacques music and presence of Vyse make this a game I'll love for a long time.

5. Binary Domain; I'm generally not a huge shooter fan but I really enjoyed the emchanics in this, the ping as you pop a robots head off with a headshot causing it to turn on its allies is one of the most simply satisfying things in gaming. Surprisingly good cast too, Faye, Cain and even Big Bo are vastly more loveable than your average shooter meatmen.

6. Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk 2; They genuyinely seem to have hot upon a quality battle system here where positioning and area of effects matter hugely

7. Soul Calibur 5; This could have been so much higher if the single player modes were better but at least they got the series back on quality combat footing. I hope they dont try to reinevent the wheel again next time and just concentrate on putting all the characters in with a proper weapon master quest mode and an arcade mode with actual endings.

8. Armored Core 5; Huuuuuuge amounts of content and customisation and a fantastic online mode, it could have done with a little more balancing and more people online to make it truly amazing though.

9. Tokyo Jungle; One of the most original interesting and fun concepts this year. I hope these guys go on to great things

10. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown; A near arcade perfect port of a great game for a tiny price, everyone should own this.

gblues

Banned
1. Borderlands 2; I put more time into it than anything else--more than 200 hours! Definitely looking forward to the next game.

Most of the other games I played came out last year or earlier.

I have played way too few 2012 games this year but here goes. Luckily I have enjoyed most of them so I can manage a short list:

1. Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale; This is the type of game I have been waiting for since Brawl hype started. After terrible online (and terrible wait for EU) it was back to the waiting after Nintendos dissapointing outing without any knowledge when the next smash game might appear and if the online would be decent this time. Then suddenly leaks and rumors about this game started coming left and right and I entered the same hypemode as before. When the game was unveiled it came with delicious meltdowns when the game looked near identical to smash which I approved fully but also a very surprising gameplay decision. Normal attacks do not kill and you only use them to gain meter for super attacks that are the only way to kill. I was familiar with something similar as I am a big fan of Squares Dissidia games but I was afraid that Superbot might not deliver. Well even after a delay, being bug ridden mess, barebones single player, balance issues, lazy UI and smaller than expected roster the game underneath all the unpolish I consider nothing less than a true multiplayer gem that I haven't encountered since Civilization 5 and DotA/Heroes of Newerth. I have always been interested in fighting games since my button mashing days of old school Tekken but the recent outings in the genre have this aura that keep noobies like myself at bay. I have no idea if I could master the systems of Tekken, Marvel, Street Fighter and such and thats why I fully embrace games like Dissidia, Smash and now this. The system is easy to learn but the way you play has a learning curve. Characters are all interesting and almost everyone has something unique about them that no other character can do. Online can be absolute delight when it works. Stages are great and affect the way you'd play a character. Also it pleases me greatly that Superbot is supporting the game post launch with free DLC since I am hungry for more PSASBR. The bomba of this title is truly sad for me because I strongly believe a possible sequel could be something truly special. The thing that makes this a gem is the element I best know from Civilization: instead of ''one more turn'' its ''one more match''. I could play this shit for hours every day.

2. Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance; I hate and love this game. It failed to deliver on many ways it should have. This game was supposed to tie loose ends and neatly set up a stage for the long awaited KH3. Instead this game manages to shit up the crazy story even more and take the ''KH is convoluted'' meme into a whole new dimension. The gameplay is a step back after the PSP game that is regarded even as the best one by some. But even as a dissapointment I cannot deny that this is absolute blast to play for a fan like me and I do find some guilty pleasure in witnessing how insane the story can get and in that regard it was hilarious and even a little bit epic in that enjoyable crazy animu kind of way. The graphics, music and 3D are GREAT and the new pokemon style monster systems, dive system, flowmotion and touch screen stuff while not really that great are fresh and continue the tradition of bringing something new and fun to keep every new game interesting. Worlds are brand new and it really delivers a true main game experience. I am truly grateful SE has been able to keep the series rolling and at least for now dodged the stagnation of Final Fantasy. Even if we won't get true console KH3 for another 10 years it won't be that bad at all if this is the worst they can come up with for a mainline KH game.

3. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy; This was the sleeper hit of the year for me. Music is one of the most important aspects of FF games and this one totally delivers on fanservice. There really is only one negative thing I have to say about this one: even with tons of music it is a true shame sooooo many great tunes had to be left out due to cart space (or dat dlc money). I don't know if I would recommend to non-fans but for every FFnut that has yet to get this: reggiewhatswrongwithyou.gif.

4. Silent Hill: Downpour; Let's get this outta the way: this was a technical mess. Monster design is the absolute worst in the series. But like All-Stars underneath the shit there is something I have been waiting. Not bad like Shattered Memories, not avarage like 4, Homecoming and Origins but actually GOOD Silent Hill game. It manages to tell an interesting story with tons of athmosphere, interesting locations and sidequests, good balance between combat (that you can pretty much fully avoid) and exploration and great sounds and music that makes Yamaokas departure non issue. It's a sad thing that Vatra won't be returning to Silent Hill since they have just the right balance of borrowing old elements and doing something new. You can tell that they get what makes a good game but unfortunately technical issues and a rushed game keep this one from the greatness it probably deserved.

5. Max Payne 3; Just a great action game plain and simple. I didn't really enjoy it as much as 2 but it does deliver on the gameplay part.

6. Civilization V: Gods & Kings; Dunno what to say. I love Civ 5 and this adds more stuff and I'm a sucker for that. AI is still shit but religion, espionage, new units and civs gave new life to the game. I wouldn't say it really did that much to improve things but it certainly rekindled my and my friends interest to what is an excellent and addicting game. Minus points for not including all DLC stuff :mad:.

7. Diablo 3; Oh boy. The flaws of this game have been said over and over again. Regardless of that I did have quite a bit of fun with my friends the few first playtroughs. It still has some of that addictive gameplay from Diablo 2 and I liked the more WOWesque boss battles. It doesn't have nearly as much longevity as it should but it is enjoyable experience when you start playing it before it leads to boredom and frustration.

8. Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit

Martian

I've only played one game from 2012, and it's hardly GOTY but here: ACIII.

Or Fall of the Samurai, if DLC counts. But that wasn't great either, it was good, but not great

PLEASE FOLLOW THE FORMATTING RULES.

It's easy! There's pretty much two main rules:
  1. Number your list
  2. Put comments behind a semicolon starting on the same line

If you do not do these two things, your ballot is at risk of not being counted by the parser. There is a sample ballot in the OP to help you guys out.

Thanks everyone :)

winstano

1. The Walking Dead ; Easily the most enthralling story I've encountered this year, if not ever, in video gaming. Hit me in the right places, stunning storytelling.

2. SSX ; - man, I enjoyed the HELL out of this game. Waited all this time for a next gen SSX game and I was not disappointed. The ridernet stuff was well implemented, and I had an absolute blast getting to the platinum trophy.

3. assassins creed 3 ; - despite all the glitches and technical issues, it was a blast. If it ran at a solid frame rate and was a tiny bit more polished, it'd be my no1, easily.

4. Mass Effect 3 ; - yes, the ending was gash, but the ride up to that point was a good laugh!

5. Sleeping Dogs ; - picked up on a whim, played it a LOT. Fantastic GTA clone with very little gunplay, which made it all the more refreshing

6. Trials Evolution ; - as pure an exercise in anger management as you'll find anywhere. Pretty sure there are several warped or snapped controllers all over GAFfers houses!

7. XCOM ; - this was solely from the GB recommendations, and I really enjoyed it, right up until I got proper stuck and haven't had a chance to get back to it :(

8. Journey ; - beautiful.

9. Max Payne 3 ; - I couldn't see what the complaints were about for this, I loved it. As a balls-out action game it was an incredible amount of fun

10. Spec Ops: The Line ; - as an exercise in storytelling and voice acting, this was stellar. It was a standard TPS, but it was easy to look past that if you bought into the story, which I did.

Some questions about game eligibility:

Mushihimesama. This is a 2004 arcade game that received a shitty PS2 port in '05 and in 2012 got a 360 release that is identical except with all of the art re-rendered at 4x the resolution. All releases Japan-only. Yay or nay?

As Cheesemeister said, the "port" rule is meant to be for titles brought to new platforms straddling a new year's. Since this is an old game that already was ported, and the new version is just a HD upres, it would not be allowed.

Under Defeat HD. This is a 2005 arcade game ported to the Dreamcast in 2006 and then brought to 360/PS3 in 2012. The new releases run in HD but use the same assets. I'm assuming this game is fine for NA people, though, given that this is the first year it's seen an NA release. Pretty sure I voted for this back in '06 so I won't be voting for it again, but hey, never hurts to be clear.
This game is eligible to be voted on, as it's the first time it's been available in NA.

The Steam Ys releases and Monster World IV. I'm assuming these are fine, given that they're new localizations.
If this is the first time they're available in these markets in the appropriate language (they have not been ported previously) then they're eligible.

Tadale

1. Journey; Completely unique, unparalleled experience this year for me. I've never played a game that's been able to draw such an emotional reaction without any dialog or text.
2. The Walking Dead
3. XCOM
4. Fez
5. Halo 4
6. Paper Mario: Sticker Star
7. Lumines
8. Max Payne III
9. Assassin's Creed III
10. Dust

x. Binary Domain
x. Kid Icarus: Uprising

2011; Dark Souls. Last year, I had a hard time deciding what game I liked better: Portal, Skyrim, or Skyward Sword. Now, after playing Dark Souls, I'm even more conflicted.

Still a work in progress as of January 03. Getting a good feel for my choices, though, and remaining satisfied thus far.

Hwin2.jpg

1. Sleeping Dogs ; It is the all-encompassing package of Sleeping Dogs that led to me having an absolute blast with it and loving just about every minute from beginning to end. Its combat mechanics have traces of the recent Batman games, virtual Hong Kong feels as if you're driving 15 minutes outside of Steelport of Saints Row the Third, and I am completely okay with it. It strikes a great balance of plot, game design, and environment. If you've seen even one Hong Kong police drama, you can probably guess how the events of Sleeping Dogs unfold. This did not take away from the experience. The game features some good scripting and some great characters, particularly in the protagonist Wei Shen. Even when the game gets purposely silly in its comedy and outrageous in its action, there is a strange empathy to be felt as he balances, struggles, and fights his double identity. It's satisfying watching him kick ass and take names as you learn new moves, and I can't get over how gorgeous this version of Hong Kong is at night with both vibrancy and drabness in all the right places. On a side note, it features perhaps the best series of radio stations in an open-world real-world based game.

Otw2d.jpg

2. The Walking Dead ; The true challenge of The Walking Dead lies in accepting that anything defined as victory here comes at a great cost. The goal, contextual with its characters, relationships, and narrative, is to survive, and you're in the driver's seat. One of the challenges I imagine Telltale facing in development was how to get the player to want to care for Clementine, a child in media where they tend to be written as "the load." They nailed her role as Lee's (and thus, the player's) emotional crutch, while the rest of the narrative asks, "How would you respond to this?" The game also does a great job integrating narrative and gameplay consistently, a huge pet peeve of mine in modern games. I also enjoyed its social feedback feature, comparing your decisions to other players. While its direct conflict in episode five feels somewhat forced, the true, inner conflict remains, and so much of The Walking Dead is gut-wrenching. Its rare moments of serenity or blissfulness are the true rewards. You can't stop wondering where your relationships with the people in it will take you, and how that will pay off in the end, or perhaps later how hard it will bite you in the ass.

DcOW7.jpg

3. Kid Icarus: Uprising ; The truth is I have no relationship or attachment with Kid Icarus as a franchise. I'm not particularly good at the NES game, and I have never played its Game Boy sequel. With that said, Kid Icarus: Uprising is an excellent title that does so many marvelous things. The split of aerial rail shooter and third-person action keeps the pacing strong and is enhanced by a rather rich weapon mod system and customized abilities to take into battle. It encourages experimentation. Even its difficulty selection is expansive and implements risk versus reward. It boasts stellar environment design, great voice-acting and soundtrack, and a script that is hilariously self-aware. The multiplayer is basic, but fun. Lots of little rewards to be found.

tGMDM.jpg

4. Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy ; A game that celebrates the majesty that is the music of Final Fantasy, 25 years of it. It's a well-designed rhythm game a la Elite Beat Agents featuring some adorable versions of your favorite FF characters. The entire package is essentially the Final Fantasy museum. Unlock more tracks, play at higher difficulties and show off your chain and combo skills, and collect all sorts of goodies and delve into this series' history. Tons and tons of music to reminisce to, and plenty of challenge.

nxPpT.png

5. Persona 4: Golden ; First, P4G is another game that wonderfully shows off the Vita OLED with its ridiculously rich palette. I love the bright menus and animation. The game itself stresses the concept of socializing and bonding enough that even its side quests make you feel sort of good about helping someone out. Its vox populi mechanic is incredibly useful for helping you keep track of your activities and social life. There are fairly entertaining characters in the story, a few that are incredibly irritating, but they're people you learn to care for as you try and raise a more powerful Persona. The story itself is surprisingly well-written, with one gigantic hiccup in the plot. Dungeon crawling can feel tedious as the days stretch, but the boss battles and payoffs make it all worth it. I love the Persona fusion mechanic as I did in P3P, although I didn't use it as often this time. All of this is to a rather fun pop-jazz style soundtrack with a decent vocal track or two. There is a lot to be found and to be explored, in more ways than one. Even its television menu is impressive, allowing you to view live concert footage, the animated scenes of the story, and read through a rather intense discussion of the conscience of man... Overall, this is a superb package.

GZpsY.jpg

6. Journey ; I believe it's the simplicity of Journey's mechanics that allow room for the player to contemplate what it is they're experiencing. I think a lot of its emotional resonance stems from its soundtrack, fantastic and passionate enough to be nominated for a Grammy Award, and the limited communication we have with our co-operative partners. The environments are set up almost perfectly, so diverse that each new area feels unique and mysterious. The mystery of Journey's world and the mystery of the people we journey with are just so fascinating, like you're both just figuring it out together. Its payoff is almost spiritual.

L7yaR.jpg

7. Crimson Shroud ; Yasumi Matsuno storytelling combined with a tabletop RPG aesthetic and some pretty great writing/translation. The tabletop aesthetic, complete with a near-literal dice-rolling mechanic and its characters with game piece bases at their feet, would have found a place on this list alone. Truthfully, there is a lot of patience and strategizing involved, its menus can feel tedious, and while it'd be nice that so many people experience it, there's a clear niche here. Being on 3DS, a device designed for on-the-go gaming, is a great fit for it and a bonus. I'd love this concept to be expanded.

eIn8j.jpg

8. New Super Mario Bros U ; NSMBU earns a spot in my Game of the Year 2012 list because of its challenge mode. I cannot get enough of them. They are small objectives to accomplish in X amount of time for bronze, silver, and gold medals. They can range from simple and easy, to potentially infuriating, and quite frankly I'm a sucker for them and do a better job evoking nostalgia than the main game. It's part of why I loved last year's Rayman Origins so much. The game itself deserves mention for being a Mario game in high definition, and I honestly paid more attention to my TV than the Wii U game pad. I loved how rich the tones of the worlds were, as familiar as many of them were. A handful of levels were fantastic in design, particularly Boo-centric ones. The core fun for me lies in obtaining the Star Coins, and how often they're put in places where you need to pull off your best moves to get some of them. I went into it knowing it would sport a pretty sizable map evoking memories of Super Mario World. I only wish there were more hidden secret levels to explore. Another feature worth mentioning by way of the Wii U OS is the Miiverse integration, which I can't get enough of. It's a simple kind of socialization I can get behind: leaving notes for others to see. I haven't gotten to try multiplayer, but after this and NSMB2 on 3DS, another game I enjoyed, I think the NSMB series does its job well as a sort of appetizer for larger-scale Mario titles.

X. Sound Shapes ; Games like Sound Shapes are why I wanted the Vita, as opposed to the "portable console experience" Sony touts the device as being. Sound Shapes features charming visuals and a wonderful soundtrack brought to life by a number of well-known artists as the player rhythmically attempts to get through worlds unscathed. Ranking in the time attacks is part of the fun, but perhaps its greatest feature lies in the level editor tool. Anyone can create a level and create a rhythm and a beat to go with it and Sound Shapes has sported quite the community. I have to access its downloadable content soon.

X. Binary Domain ; Since my introduction to the Yakuza franchise, it seems I'm privy to support Toshihiro Nagoshi on just about any capacity. On the surface, Binary Domain surprised me in how solid it is as a third-person shooter. It employs an interesting relationship mechanic that can help determine the direction of the final battle and finale. It helps that its cast of characters, though stereotyped to high heaven and features Pepe Le Pew as a robot, have a weird charm that makes me glad to have them on my team. The plot itself tends to get on the goofy side and takes influence from Blade Runner and I, Robot. It's fun to watch it unfold though, and BD features one of my favorite boss battles this generation in the Tsar Runner. In design it's fairly generic "aim for its weak spots" shooting, but it has the intensity of a high-speed chase in a good action that put a smile on my face. It's just ridiculous, over-the-top fun and reasonably paced.

X. Tokyo Jungle ; I had appreciated Tokyo Jungle on a memetic level before it made its way into the North American PlayStation Store. Tokyo Jungle has relatively simple design, but conceptually I don't think I have ever seen a game like it. No real story to speak of, just a collection of animals, both predators and grazers, surviving by killing each other and feeding off whatever vegetation is left. The challenge lies in seeing how long you can survive before a pack of wolves or something even bigger tears you a new one, with a toxicity mechanic that can be brutal and sometimes downright unfair. Not a great soundtrack, or even amazing visuals, and it does get a bit repetitive, but the $15 price tag was worth the experience. There is definitely something bigger hiding beneath this concept. I'm glad we get to see something so wacky in this current generation.

X. Retro/Grade ; Retro/Grade takes rhythm and Gradius-style shooting along with a great soundtrack and produces a solid product in the end. Wonderful visuals, as well. It's rather unfortunate that in the wake of so many great games this year, I kind of forgot about this title. It's absolutely worth playing and spins a new, fun concept from two tried-and-true genres.

2011. Yakuza 4 ; The fourth (or technically fifth?) game of a series I have found to be consistently stellar. A soundtrack designed to kick ass, underrated character modeling, an incredibly fun combat system, tons of side quests that often lead to hilarity, and a story that feels more like a soap opera than any yakuza film. I don't know any other game that lets you run a dojo training mini-game. I got lost in that for hours...

Tain

As Cheesemeister said, the "port" rule is meant to be for titles brought to new platforms straddling a new year's. Since this is an old game that already was ported, and the new version is just a HD upres, it would not be allowed.

This game is eligible to be voted on, as it's the first time it's been available in NA.

If this is the first time they're available in these markets in the appropriate language (they have not been ported previously) then they're eligible.

Alright, cool. Thanks!

PLEASE FOLLOW THE FORMATTING RULES.

It's easy! There's pretty much two main rules:
  1. Number your list
  2. Put comments behind a semicolon starting on the same line

If you do not do these two things, your ballot is at risk of not being counted by the parser. There is a sample ballot in the OP to help you guys out.
Thanks everyone :)

Do you need to have a space before the semicolon and after the title name?

I just edited my initial post to add much more explanation and images, along with a "vote tallying" section. Is this format fine, or should I re-edit it so it will get counted?

The explanations and images are great, and improve the thread! :) Remove the lower bit though (the "For Vote Tallying Purposes" section) because the parser will see a duplicate list and cancel out your ballot.

Do you need to have a space before the semicolon and after the title name?

No.

Biff

This year was not a great year in gaming for me. Was mostly focusing on school while patiently waiting for the end of 2012 sequelocalypse. I have 5 games preorder for 2013, which is a 400% increase over this year, haha.

1. Sound Shapes ; Creative, innovative and addictive. Each universe felt unique. Simple mechanics that allowed for a balanced challenge.
2. Diablo 3 ; 60 hours of fun for $60. Despite the hate, I feel that I extracted enough value from this game to warrant a top 3 spot.
3. Hitman: Absolution ; Came into this game essentially blind, and I think it was for the best.
4. Journey ; Criminally overrated, but a memorable experience for the $10.49 sale price I picked it up for. Seriously though GAF... It's a three hour game. Chill.
5. WordHero ; Stylized as [WordHero] in the Google Play store, this Android exclusive is the most addictive mobile game I have played in years. 100% free. So simple yet competitive... I think this is in the grey zone of what is considered a "game", but as it will finish so far down the list anyway who cares :p
6. Major Mayhem ; Free-to-play done right. This is the longest, most enjoyable campaign I have played on Android since Kairosoft's reign as king of mobile games ended with a lackluster 2012.
7. Hotline Miami ; Another game that suffers from Journey's over-hyped fate. I wish I didn't read the GAF thread before jumping into this...

x. FTL: Faster Than Light ; I appreciate the originality, but I was really disappointed with this game. Take out shields, take out guns, repeat. Kudos for the developer for making a genuinely unforgiving game, which is rage-inducing for all the wrong reasons.
x. I Am Alive ; Amazing first hour of this game. Falls of a 300m cliff from there. So much potential; so much disappointment.
x. Scribblenauts Unlimited ; I just can't get any real enjoyment out of this concept. I'm not playing the game with my imagination--I'm playing it with the developer's imagination. Half the time I'm trying to figure out what the guy who made the level would consider to be a solution rather than what is a solution. That's not fun.

Atruvius

1. The Walking Dead ; Gives you great illusion of choice in how the story progresses. Likable characters that you care about and an engaging good story that pulls some of your emotion strings. The best experience of 2012.

2. Dragons Dogma ;
3. Far Cry 3 ;

4. Alan Wake ;
5. Alan Wake's American Nightmare ;
6. Dishonored ;
7.Borderlands 2 ;
8. Lego Batman 2 ;
9.Legend of Grimrock ;
10. Call of Duty Black Ops 2 ;

Ravage

1. Tales of Graces F ; ARPG is my favourite genre and ToGf has the best ARPG combat system i've played this gen
2. Atelier Meruru ; the same charming setting and deep alchelmy gameplay with refined combat and exploration
3. Journey ; unexpected gem, going through the game with a partner for the first time was simply magical.
4. Gravity Rush ; i love everything about this game but the art style stands out most.
5. Tokyo Jungle ; co-op survival mode is incredibly entertaining
6. Yakuza Dead Souls ; love the wacky story and fun gameplay
7. Persona 4 Golden ; not much to say here
8. Velocity ; best indie game i've ever played, the game design is really good
9. Final Fantasy XIII-2 ; in line with expectations
10. Hyperdimension Neptunia Mk2 ; a nice surprise and a huge upgrade from its predecessor in every way

1. Halo 4 - Great addition to the Halo saga. And amazing mutliplayer

2. Journey - Music, art direction, and most simple and unique co-op.

3. Far Cry 3 - great open world, awesome shooting mechanics and wonderful graphics

4. Mass Effect 3 - Regardless of the lackluster ending, I enjoyed the ride. 3rd part defiantly fell short compared to the first two but it was still a great game.

5. The Walking Dead - On the 4th episode right now but loving it so far.

6. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron - a great demonstration of how to make a franchise game.

That's all really have.

I think I've played more games this year than in a long time, most of them we're older games I hadn't gotten around to before though. I'm gonna try to play a few more games before the voting is up and maybe expand on my list but as of now I'm just gonna put down the games I feel deserve to be on GOTY-list.

1. Journey ; I don't even like Flower, so I was apprehensive about getting this. It looked interesting but I just wasn't sure. I decided to go for it anyway and I'm glad I did. Best moment of the game by far was sandsurfing and then that sunset, I think my jaw dropped. This may sound sappy but I remember thinking that I was glad this game existed. Not because it's the end all, be all of gaming or that it moved me emotionally because it didn't, but it's just a great experience and and I'm happy I took the chance and downloaded it.

2. Sleeping Dogs ; I've had my eyes on this since it was announced under the True Crime name and it didn't disappoint. Great writing with characters that really grow on you, great fighting, great shooting and driving that works just the way I want it to. The linearity of the mission is something that probably put people of from it but I think it worked and Hong Kong is one of the best open worlds this generation.

3. SSX ; This is probably my most played game this generation. They did some things wrong, the most glaring problem being the ubiquitous death pits which were a low point of the game. But when this game flew it fucking soared and the high points of the game provided me with some of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time. With the addition of Mt. Eddie we even got a bit of that circuit feel back.

4. Spec Ops: The Line ; From a pure gameplay perspective this game is fairly mediocre, but it is all about the narrative and the questions this game raises. I think Yathzee was correct in saying that it's not the best game of the year but the game that most deserves to be played.

5. The Unfinished Swan ; A nice little gem.

2011. Portal 2 ; Almost all games have something to nitpick, Portal 2 does not. It's the complete package and just an all around great game.

sflufan

Banned
After much deliberation between Borderlands 2, Dishonored, and Mark of the Ninja. I have decided to go with

1. Mark of the Ninja ; There simply are not enough good things that I can say about this game. Simply put, it's the best stealth game since the final title in the Splinter Cell series, "Chaos Theory." What I'm most impressed with is how fluid and responsive the controls are (note - don't play this with a keyboard and mouse, it's definitely made for a controller). Now, this is hardly suprising coming from the developers of the Shank series (also another personal favorite of mine), but the craft and care that has been shown to the control mechanics is definitely a step above that of Shank. The game is definitely the "spiritual successor" (God - I HATE the cliche term, but I really couldn't think of another) to the 2D Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi games, but with the soul-crushing difficulty kept to a minimum. At no point did I feel that the game was "punishing" me unfairly for my own impatience and/or incompetence in approaching a situation in an un-stealthy manner. Every time I died, I could honestly say "Yep, you're dead because you were dumb, Wade." Every element of the game comes together harmoniously and JUST PLAIN WORKS! Any quibbles I might have are so minor compared to the overall high quality of the package that they're simply not worth mentioning. OK, the plot kinda sucks, but who the hell gives a damn about the plot in a 2D side-scrolling action/stealth title with ninjas?!?

1. Xenoblade Chronicles ; Nothing else released this year even remotely compares. It is gorgeous, and melds the very best elements of Western and Eastern elements. It's the RPG that an entire generation has been starving to play.

2. Final Fantasy Theatrhythm ; Great music game, with an interesting RPG element to it. Nostalgia city.

3. Diablo III ; Despite the broken loot system and naked cash-grab of the real money auction house, the game as a whole was very enjoyable and fun to play. Gorgeous graphics as well too.

4. NBA 2K13 ; The definitive game for hoops fans.

5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 ; 96 hour game-clock says hi. More stream-lined than its predecessor, with a fun system and a great soundtrack.

ZeroGravity

1. Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition; I was only going into this with the expectation of it being a fun time waster, but it ended up being engrossing to the point where it was my most played game of the year. The simplicity, easy of use, and controller-centric design made it accessible to someone like me who wasn't able to enjoy the PC version.

2. Pokemon: Black & White 2; Every new version of Pokemon inches closer to perfecting the formula, and these games are no exception. I'm glad GameFreak took a new direction with the obligatory third version, and it was really fun to explore the Unova region all over again.

3. New Super Mario Bros. U; It's Mario, it's fantastic, and it broke free of a lot of the complaints leveled against the NSMB series. This is easily one of the best 2-D Mario games ever created, and one of the primary reasons to purchase a Wii U right now.

4. Katawa Shoujo
5. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed
6. Scribblenauts Unlimited
7. Transformers: Fall of Cybertron
8. ZombiU
9. New Super Mario Bros. 2
10. Soul Calibur V

Mlatador

Banned
1. Kid Icarus Uprising ; The music, the graphics, the gameplay and yes, the controls (need some getting used to, but then it's really an unique, hardcore 3DS gaming experience), are just so good. The difficulty setting system is awesome and the voice acting very good, too. It's fast-paced action with a lot of variety. Most importantly, everything just blends together so nicely. This game is worth buying an 3DS (XL) for!

1. Journey; absolutely amazing experience. The gameplay elements are light, but the experience was extremely unique and touching. My only gripe would be that I wish this were a full-fledged retail title, with more gameplay elements such as co-op puzzle solving. The industry needs more of these Japanese-influenced games with fantastic atmosphere, art, and music. We may have not gotten a Team ICO title this gen, but this is the next best thing.

2. Gravity Rush;

3. Halo 4;

I wish I could list more games, but this was sort of a down year for the industry overall. I played a decent amount more, but I don't really feel like they're worthy enough to list (loved Okami HD, although that was released years ago)

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I feel bad for the OP having to count these because people can't even bother to format their stuff correctly.

Top Bottom