• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF help! Because of 2FA I am locked out of my PSN account

EGOMON

I fuckin regret activating this BS

So i bought a PS4 Pro, i Backed up my HDD on an external then turned on my PS4 Pro when i try to sign in it tells me to enter my 2FA code i wait for couple of minutes and recieve nothing.

I click resend again nothing for 10 minutes, i hit "Trouble Receiving Code?" then i take me the "solution":

1. Use a Back up code, which i don't have i never gnerated them
2. Access my account from PC or Mobile and either generate a code from there or deactivate the 2FA

But i can't fuckin log-in to my account on those devices because it is AGAIN asking me for the fucking code.

How am gonna access my PSN now help please

Fuck 2FA, if ever fix this am going to deactivate this BS

Edit: I am trying the Live Chat but is a black page for the past 15 minutes

enjoy getting hacked if you turn off 2FA.

your 2FA should go to your phone, nowhere else, so double check your phone, or wait.

you should have saved your back up codes as well.

Kyoufu

You should have generated and saved a copy of your backup codes for this exact situation tbh. You should do this for every 2FA service, not just PSN's.

And this service isn't exactly "BS". It's not perfect by any means but it's keeping your shit safe.

Zafir

You're going to have to go through support to get into your account then. I'd phone up if possible.

The whole point of 2FA is that it's hard to get in without the codes.

BigEmil

This 2FA problem is the same with any other 100 of services that offer 2FA.

If your locked out with no way to get in you simply contact the service to fix it for you.

bombshell

Contact your phone provider and ask if they are blocking the text messages.

Also, it's your fault to not have noted down the 10 backup codes.

Redders

I didn't even know there were backup codes.

Thread has prompted me to go and find mine and save them elsewhere.

Hairsplash

Go back to your ps4, and hope that it is still activated as a primary console... then turn off 2FA... then use transfer ps4 to ps4pro mode to duplicate the ps4 to ps4pro.

Otherwise this sounds (forgive the offence) you are trying to crack a console that's protected by 2FA... (that you do not own)

IMO unless you have absolute proof that you own that console Sony is not going help you, and you are SOL.

Easily resetting or turning off 2FA Defeats the purpose of 2FA...

I wasn't aware of how to get the backup codes, so I feel OP's frustration. I just logged in to get mine just in case.

I also don't remember the system recommending me to write down backup codes when I first set it up or reminding me how important they can be.

Exact same thing happened to my EA account because it was an old number and I cannot log in to change my number, so just ring them and sort it out.

EGOMON

Go back to your ps4, and hope that it is still activated as a primary console... then turn off 2FA... then use transfer ps4 to ps4pro mode to duplicate the ps4 to ps4pro.

Otherwise this sounds (forgive the offence) you are trying to crack a console that's protected by 2FA... (that you do not own)

IMO unless you have absolute proof that you own that console Sony is not going help you, and you are SOL.

Easily resetting or turning off 2FA Defeats the purpose of 2FA...

Thank you very much! you gave me the hint to fix it

I have my primary account activated in my brother PS4 since we share games i went into my account and generated the back up codes there.

At least someone here tried to help instead of "your fault etc"

Now fuck off 2FA and welcome hackers (if you can) i will take my chances over this BS system

Thanks again "Hairsplash"

Thank you very much! you gave me the hint to fix it

I have my primary account activated in my brother PS4 since we share games i went into my account and generated the back up codes there.

At least someone here tried to help instead of "your fault etc"

Now fuck off 2FA and welcome hackers if you can i will take my chances over this BS system

Thanks again "Hairsplash"

2FA just did it's job and protected your account and you got it worked out. So rather than just generate those codes for the future, you're still talking shit? You probably got a nasty response because you're acting a bit immature.

Patrick S.

Banned
I once locked myself out of Star Citizen because of 2FA. I turned it on, and then I would have had to log in to the authenticator app on my mobile. But my password had a character that the authenticator app considered an invalid character, so even though it really was the right password, I couldn't log in anymore and was stuck in a loop. Mailed RSI support, who asked a lot of questions about my purchase history with them, my personal details, and they wanted a scan of my ID. I sent them all that, and the next they they messaged me back that they had turned off 2FA for my account and I could just log in like I used to. Pretty efficient.

Do I need to call support if I recently changed my phone number to update it? I'm looking online and can't figure out how to delete the old number.

hollomat

Banned
Is there a way I can see my back up number? 2fa is working fine for me, but I want to make sure I save this number down.

adj_noun

Is there a way I can see my back up number? 2fa is working fine for me, but I want to make sure I save this number down.

https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/g...ication/help-with-2-step-verification-issues/

Go to the 2-Step Verification menu in the Security section of Account Management on web browser or, on your PS4, go to [Settings] > [PlayStation Network/Account Management] > [Account Information] > [Security] > [Two-Step Verification].

Go to the [Backup Codes] section, write them down and keep them in a safe place.

SenkiDala

I didn't even know there were backup codes.

Thread has prompted me to go and find mine and save them elsewhere.

I don't even know where to find those... :eek: I'd like to keep them somewhere safe in case. If someone know where to find them, I'd like to know. :)

EDIT: Thanks adj_noun!

Cynar

I fuckin regret activating this BS

So i bought a PS4 Pro, i Backed up my HDD on an external then turned on my PS4 Pro when i try to sign in it tells me to enter my 2FA code i wait for couple of minutes and recieve nothing.

I click resend again nothing for 10 minutes, i hit "Trouble Receiving Code?" then i take me the "solution":

1. Use a Back up code, which i don't have i never gnerated them
2. Access my account from PC or Mobile and either generate a code from there or deactivate the 2FA

But i can't fuckin log-in to my account on those devices because it is AGAIN asking me for the fucking code.

How am gonna access my PSN now help please

Fuck 2FA, if ever fix this am going to deactivate this BS

Edit: I am trying the Live Chat but is a black page for the past 15 minutes
Sounds like it's working like it should. Please read and follow directions properly in the future.

EGOMON

I don't even know where to find those... :eek: I'd like to keep them somewhere safe in case. If someone know where to find them, I'd like to know. :)
On your primary activated PS4 go to Network and Account Management - Security - 2FA - Generate Back up codes

Trojan

Save your codes, people! Yes it's not the most user-friendly to screenshot/keep codes for all sites but that's the whole point. Otherwise it would be easy for someone else to compromise your account.

Today the OP learned why generating and saving your backup codes is a really good idea.

Do this for anything else you have 2FA on too, like your Google Account, Microsoft Account, EA account, etc.

Redd

And this is why I always write down my passwords in my notebook that's in the lockbox. Just in case.

3bada

Had the same issue and Support was useless as usual. Simply waited a few days and I started receiving the codes again. Been working flawlessly after it fixed itself.

Top Bottom