• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRS

I guess can see why PT1 is preferred. It is the more consistent between PT1 and 2 and the reason why I prefer most albums but PT2's first half or so is god-tier. And even though the middle and last half isn't as great, it has a gem or two (Hold On and O.G. [The Jar]) thrown in there which helps out with the album as a whole.

Really, how I feel about PT1 and PT2 is the same as how I feel with Midnight Marauders and The Low End Theory.

One day I'll prefer one album, but the next I'll prefer the other...

Esch

Banned
Real talk? I have never been a big fan of Outkast or Tribe. Not that I think that they're bad, or even not good. They're just not for me I guess. Yeah there are songs from both I really really love, and obviously some good albums, but its not my hip hop soul food. I mostly listen to both when other people play them. Tribe to me is objectively good. They're catchy in that simple 90s way that people even now can fuck with, and same with the beats. Outkast brings some clever turns of phrase, quick flows, and some godlk hook writing ability. But that second layer i talked about the other day, that shit that makes me go
wow.png
just isnt there for me.

Ironically Speakerboxx/Love Below was the first hip hop album i ever purchased, lol

HiiiLife

Apologies if this has been discussed.. So if y'all had the chance to introduce someone to Hip Hop, which album would you pick?

Only one album!

Which album defines Hip Hop for you?

Personally if I had the chance to introduce someone to Hip Hop it would have to be Illmatic. I'm not even the biggest Nas fan but that tape had me by the nuts.

What about Gaf Hop?

This should be interesting.

Real talk? I have never been a big fan of Outkast or Tribe. Not that I think that they're bad, or even not good. They're just not for me I guess. Yeah there are songs from both I really really love, and obviously some good albums, but its not my hip hop soul food. I mostly listen to both when other people play them. Tribe to me is objectively good. They're catchy in that simple 90s way that people even now can fuck with, and same with the beats. Outkast brings some clever turns of phrase, quick flows, and some godlk hook writing ability. But that second layer i talked about the other day, that shit that makes me go
wow.png
just isnt there for me.

Ironically Speakerboxx/Love Below was the first hip hop album i ever purchased, lol
Yea that's exactly why I love tribes same thing with pharcyde. Just pure fun to listen to

Apologies if this has been discussed.. So if y'all had the chance to introduce someone to Hip Hop, which album would you pick?

Only one album!

Personally if I had the chance to introduce someone to Hip Hop it would have to be Illmatic. I'm not even the biggest Nas fan but that tape had me by the nuts.

What about Gaf Hop?

U-God : Mr Xcitement

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

I think you need one album from the east, west, midwest and south to be accurate. What is "west coast" hip hop is so different than "NYC" rap. What about the dichotomy that exists with ignant wild out shit being in the same genre as Fresh Prince or Public Enemy? I don't think it's really fair to have 1 album stand for the entire artform.

But Illmatic.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

Illmatic.

If they don't get chills by the time they hear "Straight out the fucking dungeons of rap," hip-hop ain't for them.

HiiiLife

I think you need one album from the east, west, midwest and south to be accurate. What is "west coast" hip hop is so different than "NYC" rap. What about the dichotomy that exists with ignant wild out shit being in the same genre as Fresh Prince or Public Enemy? I don't think it's really fair to have 1 album stand for the entire artform.

But Illmatic.

Naw that wouldn't be fun. Lol. I really want to see what album someone would ultimately choose :)

But I see where you're coming from doe.

RJT

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

Tupac. Probably the greatest hits. Illmatic is too technical to be properly enjoyed by a newcomer, in my opinion. Tupac has the accessability, range, talent and raw emotion needed to convert someone.

kamspy

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

All Eyez On Me

CRS

http://fatemusic.bandcamp.com/album/blu-clams

Clams x Blu mashup tape. Really well done.

Was that his drop 20 seconds or so into the first track? Shit was unexpected and threw me off for a bit. Liked the first track but that's more because of Clams than the mashup.

Will check the rest out later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5HUKLj5DJE&feature=player_embedded#!

^Beat preview for Big Seans new single ft 2Chainz and Kanye. This is ASS part 2, this is gonna blow the fuck up.

Edit: Fake. Damn, beat is a club banger.

Your shit is better than that beat.

Esch

Banned

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

Ready to Die.

overcast

I forgot to put Deltron 3030 on my list. Still one of the most mindblowing albums I have heard. I mean I was like 16, but it was so awesome.

Binary Star- Masters of the Universe is so damn good too. Honest Expression also floored me when I first heard it. That Bruce Lee opening.

T Dollarz

Nas Illmatic 20
Wu-Tang Clan 36 Chambers 16
Kanye West College Dropout 10
Notorious BIG Ready to Die 9
Kid Cudi Man on the Moon 8
OutKast ATLiens 7
Snoop Dogg Doggystyle 7
GZA Liquid Swords 6
Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, mAAd City 6
A Tribe Called Quest Midnight Marauders 5
Black Star Black Star 5
Eminem Slim Shady LP 5
Lupe Fiasco The Cool 5
The Game The Documentary 5
Dr. Dre 2001 4
Lupe Fiasco Food & Liquor 4
Blu & Exile Below the Heavens 3
Bone Thugs N Harmony E. 1999 Eternal 3
Camp Lo Uptown Saturday Night 3
DJ Quik Safe + Sound 3
DMX It's Dark and Hell is Hot 3
Eminem Marshall Mathers LP 3
Eminem The Eminem Show 3
Gang Starr Moment of Truth 3
Ghostface Killah Supreme Clientele 3
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 3
OutKast Aquemini 3
Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 3
Redman Muddy Waters 3
The Clipse Hell Hath No Fury 3
50 Cent Guess Who's Back? 2
A Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory 2
Big L Lifestylez ov Da Poor & Dangerous 2
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising 2
Deltron 3030 Deltron 3030 2
Dr. Dre The Chronic 2
Eric B. & Rakim Paid in Full 2
Ghostface Killah Ironman 2
Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt 2
Jay-Z The Black Album 2
Kanye West Late Registration 2
Madvillain Madvillainy 2
Method Man & Redman Blackout! 2
Mobb Deep Hell on Earth 2
Nas Stillmatic 2
Nas It Was Written 2
Nujabes Metaphorical Music 2
NWA Straight Outta Compton 2
The Pharcyde Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde 2
UGK Super Tight 2
Xzibit 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz 2

Only one album!

What about Gaf Hop?

00-artifacts-between_a_rock_and_a_h.jpg

Graff, Beats and Rhymes...Not that many records encompass this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhRhxt642uQ

Cudder

Nas Illmatic 20
Wu-Tang Clan 36 Chambers 16
Kanye West College Dropout 10
Notorious BIG Ready to Die 9
Kid Cudi Man on the Moon 8
OutKast ATLiens 7
Snoop Dogg Doggystyle 7
GZA Liquid Swords 6
Kendrick Lamar Good Kid, mAAd City 6
A Tribe Called Quest Midnight Marauders 5
Black Star Black Star 5
Eminem Slim Shady LP 5
Lupe Fiasco The Cool 5

The Game The Documentary 5
Dr. Dre 2001 4
Lupe Fiasco Food & Liquor 4

Blu & Exile Below the Heavens 3
Bone Thugs N Harmony E. 1999 Eternal 3
Camp Lo Uptown Saturday Night 3
DJ Quik Safe + Sound 3
DMX It's Dark and Hell is Hot 3
Eminem Marshall Mathers LP 3
Eminem The Eminem Show 3

Gang Starr Moment of Truth 3
Ghostface Killah Supreme Clientele 3
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy 3
OutKast Aquemini 3
Raekwon Only Built 4 Cuban Linx 3
Redman Muddy Waters 3
The Clipse Hell Hath No Fury 3
50 Cent Guess Who's Back? 2
A Tribe Called Quest Low End Theory 2
Big L Lifestylez ov Da Poor & Dangerous 2
De La Soul 3 Feet High and Rising 2
Deltron 3030 Deltron 3030 2
Dr. Dre The Chronic 2
Eric B. & Rakim Paid in Full 2
Ghostface Killah Ironman 2
Jay-Z Reasonable Doubt 2
Jay-Z The Black Album 2
Kanye West Late Registration 2
Madvillain Madvillainy 2
Method Man & Redman Blackout! 2
Mobb Deep Hell on Earth 2
Nas Stillmatic 2
Nas It Was Written 2
Nujabes Metaphorical Music 2
NWA Straight Outta Compton 2
The Pharcyde Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde 2
UGK Super Tight 2
Xzibit 40 Dayz & 40 Nightz 2

bolded the one's ive listened to. am i doing it right, gaf hop? lol

Esch

Banned
Ready to Die isnt on my top 10 but it might be the album that defines HH for me. The lyrical themes... nuff said. The beats are old school enough but still sound fresh. The songwriting is diverse, lots of different flows, but the pop/party aspect of hip hop isnt buried underneath excessive conceptual depth that a purist might typically cite. Its a great album to recommend to a noob. Something like Illmatic might be a little too rappity rap to encompass the genre for me.

bolded the one's ive listened to. am i doing it right, gaf hop? lol

damn. id copy that list down and give all of them a run through. seriously

T Dollarz

I think we should delete the tallies and copy that list into the OP and title it "Gaf-Hop essentials" or something, along with our own lists. But I think the one group list is even better.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
It's crazy to me that 50 is represented but not by his diamond selling album. GRODT didn't even get one nod....falling off is harsh.

Esch

Banned
man imagine if Stillmatic didnt have all the stupid bullshit songs and had the best cuts from Lost Tapes, shit would be basically Illmatic 2 quality

HiiiLife

man imagine if Stillmatic didnt have all the stupid bullshit songs and had the best cuts from Lost Tapes, shit would be basically Illmatic 2 quality

Son I was on the verge of putting into my iTunes like that and telling my friends it was the actual version. Lol.

Pleasantly surprised to see GKMC in the top 10 so far on that list.

Esch

Banned
damn and people thought i was crazy for calling GKMC a classic but top 10 material? sometimes i think a couple of you are like 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom