• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tokubetsu

Freddie Gibbs - No Prblms

Once again, there are references to his case in Austria, so I guess that's going to be a focus of that new album.

tumblr_no83lmAuyi1u1w094o1_540.gif

overcast

2 year anniversary of To Pimp A Butterfly 🦋
Goat 😭
Freddie Gibbs - No Prblms

Once again, there are references to his case in Austria, so I guess that's going to be a focus of that new album.
Holy shit this is dope. Gibbs about to give us pure quality in 1/3 of the tracks of Drake's mediocre album.
New Goldlink album 3/24. That's certainly cover art.
Hm. We'll see, I'm interested. Haven't heard anything from him since his last.

Moonkid

2 years since TPAB seems crazy to me. I remember the first time I sat down to listen to it. Most of the album didn't really catch me, hell, my favourite song in the long run ended up being the last one I clicked with (Wesley's Theory).

Kopite

TPAB blew me away when I first listened to it. It just sounds incredible. The instrumentation is so good Kendrick might even be the weakest part of it.

"Now is the time to get on like Spike Lee said, "Get on the Bus"
Go get your work and keep your beeper chirpin' it's a must..."
"We prayed together through hard times and swung hard when it was fitting
But now we tappin' the brakes from all them corners that we be bending
In Volkswagens and Bonnevilles, Chevrolets and Coupe de Villes...."

Whew

Big Boi coming in after the beat fades out is a top ten moment in music as well.

Kopite

What does "Titanic on my wrist" mean? Are watches called Titanic or something? One of the rare cases where Rap Genius doesnt help.

Dereck

What does "Titanic on my wrist" mean? Are watches called Titanic or something? One of the rare cases where Rap Genius doesnt help.
The internet is so thinly veiled in irony and jokes these days that I'm gonna play it safe here and assume that you're joking and not fall into the trap that you may or may not be setting up.

Koozek

Does Big Boi do any production?
I think a bit on Speakerboxxx and his solo albums. Then there's the production team Earthtone III, consisting of André, Big Boi, and Mr. DJ, who made the majority of Stankonia, though I think most of the actual beat making/production was done by Mr DJ and André.

That reminds me, I still haven't watched the Organized Noize documentary on Netflix. These cats have been behind every OutKast album (outside of The Love Below/Speakerboxxx, iirc), and all the Goodie Mob and Dungeon Family stuff.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Black Market was the first Ross album I skipped. Seemed to me like Ross lost all momentum, but to be fair I think Mastermind and Hood Billionaire had little momentum either, but at least they had some fire singles.

Is Ross still worth listening to?

HiResDes

Went through this XXXtentacion dump for the second time and decided to get rid of like 70 tracks, only keeping like 8 or so...But the 8 or so I kept I really fuck with especially this track:

RARE, PT.2

Alpende

Man, listened to Isaiah Rashad's the Sun's Tirade when it released and it didn't click for me at the time. Now it does. I love the laid back vibe.

Man, listened to Isaiah Rashad's the Sun's Tirade when it released and it didn't click for me at the time. Now it does. I love the laid back vibe.

It's things like this that have made me give a whole bunch of artists a second chance. Didn't apply with Sun's Tirade I thought that was dope from day 1, but I've found for a lot of music that doesn't jive with me entirely on the first few listens, that come say the 5th listen, everything clicks and the music just opens up.

Huge Bowie fan but it happened to me with Blackstar (song, not entire album). Most of Frank's Blond didnt hit with me immediately but I now have 100+ listens of it and it may be a top 5 all time album to me.

Koozek

It's things like this that have made me give a whole bunch of artists a second chance. Didn't apply with Sun's Tirade I thought that was dope from day 1, but I've found for a lot of music that doesn't jive with me entirely on the first few listens, that come say the 5th listen, everything clicks and the music just opens up.

Huge Bowie fan but it happened to me with Blackstar (song, not entire album). Most of Frank's Blond didnt hit with me immediately but I now have 100+ listens of it and it may be a top 5 all time album to me.
This is why I give almost everything at least 2-3 listens. I tend to leave tabs with new albums that were recommended in this thread open for a few days to come back to them again later.

Two years ago when Future dropped DS2 I absolutely didn't get the hype over here after my first listen. Was my first time listening to a whole Future album in general, and everything sounded samey and monotonous to me. Then months later I listened again, it suddenly clicked and ever since I've been a huge Future fan.

Oh, and funnily, I had a similar experience with Blonde and Endless last year, where I first them boring after the first few spins or so and then ended up really liking them after a while. They're definitely slow burners.

I listened to the rap Critic's rap for the first time. He ain't bad, I guess. Wordplay is sometimes corny but his flow is quite good. He's got a good voice, too.

T Dollarz

Yeah, it's pretty rare I don't give an album at least two or three listens to be sure that it's not for me.

The albums that I have made that call off one listen are pretty significant tho. Lasers was a big one.

This is why I give almost everything at least 2-3 listens. I tend to leave tabs with new albums that were recommended in this thread open for a few days to come back to them again later.

Two years ago when Future dropped DS2 I absolutely didn't get the hype over here after my first listen. Was my first time listening to a whole Future album in general, and everything sounded samey and monotonous to me. Then months later I listened again, it suddenly clicked and ever since I've been a huge Future fan.

Oh, and funnily, I had a similar experience with Blonde and Endless last year, where I first them boring after the first few spins or so and then ended up really liking them after a while. They're definitely slow burners.

That's crazy. I'd love to know other slow burners people have experienced. TPAB was one for me, mainly because of how jarringly different the sound was compared to everything else I was listening to. Awaken, My Love was another. Even ScHoolboy Q's Blankface LP. Absolutely adore these, which certainly wasn't how I felt initially.

HiResDes

Well put

People seem to really love it but I really wasn't a fan of it. It lacks all the polish his first release had. I even like all the leak songs more than what was put on the album or at least most of em. Everything just sounds so b side ish to me.

Just seems like all the songs where recorded in a time where he didn't know how to proceed on with life and while sometimes that produces great albums. I don't think this is an example of that happening.

Tokubetsu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sux1dqpTSSQ

Koozek

Actually the first Future song I've heard was Paradise off Pluto. Didn't follow him after that, though, until Move That Dope became so huge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBKJzTpL8QI

It's still mind-blowing to me that he was part of the Dungeon Family back then (though, yeah, only the 2nd Generation, but still). Didn't expect that connection. Future sounding like André here, lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L5p96rnqiQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom