• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVI| Build a Wall (of Better Top 20 Albums)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike Will needs to do more stuff like this. Reminds me of Move That Dope.

tumblr_mlno87NqXg1rjojuwo1_400.gif

overcast

Naw that's pretty good honestly. It does remind me of Backseat Freestyle in some ways. Wouldn't say it's a great Kendrick song but it bumps and has a terrific video.

Very interested to see how it fits in the album. One more week.

overcast

That's just such a hot take man. It's pretty funny.

"i" was seen as a fall off, I remember Backseat coming out and seeing a few "uh oh" posts. Even recently I remember hearing a few people saying he was gonna scream every track. Just usually requires not getting lost in the tendency to immediately determine the quality of something.

Order

New Kendrick 👏

New Azizi 👏

Good new Joey 👏

Gibbs out there 👏

It's been a good ass day

Exodust

Banned
That's just such a hot take man. It's pretty funny.

"i" was seen as a fall off, I remember Backseat coming out and seeing a few "uh oh" posts. Even recently I remember hearing a few people saying he was gonna scream every track. Just usually requires not getting lost in the tendency to immediately determine the quality of something.

Man, "i" was slightly redeemed by the live version but not by much and Backseat is regularly brought up as one of GKMC's weakest tracks(I don't mind it myself).

I liked Heart Pt. 4 but Humble was wack. Like I said in the other thread it wouldn't sound out of place in a mid-00's G-Unit mixtape.

LionPride

Banned
This Mary J Blige song with Yeezy is prettay prettay good

Man, "i" was slightly redeemed by the live version but not by much and Backseat is regularly brought up as one of GKMC's weakest tracks(I don't mind it myself).

I liked Heart Pt. 4 but Humble was wack. Like I said in the other thread it wouldn't sound out of place in a mid-00's G-Unit mixtape.
Hol up. Who the fuck dislikes Backseat Freestyle?

Exodust

Banned
Hol up. Who the fuck dislikes Backseat Freestyle?

It's a common sentiment, breh. My brother loves GKMC and hates the song too. It also seems to be singled out by fans who prefer "deep" Kendrick even with acknowledgement of why it works within the concept.

riotous

Banned
Kendrick sounds like he's sweeping the floor while he rhymes at about 1:43 in that song. is he purposefully doing this nursery school rhyme shit? The heart part 4 had a section like that too.

LionPride

Banned
It's a common sentiment, breh. My brother loves GKMC and hates the song too. It also seems to be singled out by fans who prefer "deep" Kendrick even with acknowledgement of why it works within the concept.
Common by who?

Ain't met a single persom who dislikes Backseat Freestyle. Plenty of people who hate Real though, lol.

Exodust

Banned
Common by who?

Ain't met a single persom who dislikes Backseat Freestyle. Plenty of people who hate Real though, lol.

There's plenty. As far as Real goes, well yeah that track sucks.

Worst Kendrick is still No Make Up, and Section.80 is my favorite album of his.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Cam'Ron - 10,000 Miles music video/short film. This sample somehow works.

A Tribe Called Quest - Dis Generation video. Dope.

Mike WiLL went in on HUMBLE. Wish I could say the same about Kendrick. Also Gibbs' emotional ass about to go at Kenny for stealing his so original aesthetic. Good video though. Shades of i all over again. Mediocre single, PD will like it several months from now.

Blige/Ye song is okay.

Joey track is cool, but upon second listen I only like all of the non-Joey parts of it. Beat especially.

overcast

And I think Backseat is dope and perfect in context of the album. I think this is solid and paired with a fantastic vision that is completely focused and confident. I don't see this as worrying, I think Kendrick has earned that.

Of course being one of the biggest out there and the critical darling of the game brings a lot of analysis but that's cool. Just gonna be a fun week seeing what this leads to.

Exodust

Banned
And I think Backseat is dope and perfect in context of the album. I think this is solid and paired with a fantastic vision that is completely focused and confident. I don't see this as worrying, I think Kendrick has earned that.

Of course being one of the biggest out there and the critical darling of the game brings a lot of analysis but that's cool. Just gonna be a fun week seeing what this leads to.

I guess that remains to be seen.

I'm not so much disagreeing with him having a vision so much as I'm saying that I didn't like the track and I don't think it'll change even within context. Not the worst thing to say, not like Kendrick hasn't had skippable tracks before.

"Humble" is ehh. I do agree with the sentiment that the song is a bit basic in all respects, especially after "The Heart Pt. IV."

Not gonna overreact though. Didn't like "i" (album version is a lot better), and I wasn't big on "Backstreet Freestyle" (still not). Kendrick underwhelming early has become a part of his album rollout for me.

Video is fantastic though.

It's an interesting bay sound but still...song is whatever. Not bad, not good. Sounds like something that would be way better if a rapper with even an ounce of swag rapped on it. Q, ASAP Rocky, Kanye, etc would turn that into a hit (assuming it had same hook, which I like).

Listening to that song I couldn't help but laugh. THIS is the best rapper alive? If they release a TDE remix he's gonna get embarrassed on that track but everyone except Ab Soul.

HiiiLife

Humble is on Apple Music. Gibbs still hasn't updated in the US tho...

Edit: okay now Apple Music is updated y'all

No preorder for Kendrick still

Edit 2: okay Thugger on this calvin Harris is bricks

Not liking this new Kendrick, reminds me of Trap Lupe in that I just don't think they do the style very well, and this is the type of flow/lyricism I like the least from Kendrick, reminds me of his features which I was worried about.
Beat is dope though.
Also this isn't because it's trap/"ignorant", I love Backseat Freestyle and Chopper is one of my favorite Lupe songs, I just don't like the track.

Eos

poetic justice worst track on gkmc
real is actually not that bad
imagine how much better this track would've been if kendrick didn't use that voice

HiiiLife

poetic justice worst track on gkmc
real is actually not that bad
imagine how much better this track would've been if kendrick didn't use that voice

Not that much better considering the hook is what makes the song shitty. Unless I've been mistaking Kendricks voice for Anna's this whole time...:/

What a compete 180 from her classic Money Trees verse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom