• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop presents: The 2012 Hip-Hop Awards (Results are up!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacophony

1. Future - Pluto
2. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
3. GOOD Music - Cruel Summer
4. Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't
5. Rick Ross – Rich Forever
6. 2 Chainz - Based on A TRU Story
7. Big Sean - Detroit
8. MMG - Self Made Vol. 2
9. The Game - Jesus Piece
10. Smoke DZA - Rugby Thompson

Artist/Group of the Year: 2 Chainz
Producer of the Year: Mike Will

CRS

You don't have to be a GAF-Hop regular at all. Hell, you don't need to have a single post in the thread to vote. There's a lot of posters that sadly don't participate in the GAF-Hop thread but I'm sure are avid listeners.

barnone

Albums

1. GKMC
2. 4eva N A Day
3. Habits and Contradictions
4. Cruel Summer
5. Man With the Iron Fists Soundtrack
6. R.A.P. Music
7. Baby Face Killa
8. Detroit

Songs (no order

Goldie - asap rocky
Backseat Freestyle - kendrick lamar
MAAD City - kendrick lamar
Guap - big sean
Money Clothes Hoes - freddie gibbs
Thrift Shop - macklemore
Believe It - meek mill, rick ross
Grown Up - danny brown
Hate Bein' Sober - chief keef
White Dress - kanye west
Rivers of Blood - wu tang clan
4evaNaDay - big krit
Just What I Am - kid cudi

1. Future - Pluto
2. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC
3. GOOD Music - Cruel Summer
4. Rick Ross - God Forgives, I Don't
5. Rick Ross – Rich Forever
6. 2 Chainz - Based on A TRU Story
7. Big Sean - Detroit
8. MMG - Self Made Vol. 2
9. The Game - Jesus Piece
10. Smoke DZA - Rugby Thompson

Artist/Group of the Year: 2 Chainz
Producer of the Year: Mike Will

You are alright cacophony, you know that right? You are alright

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Albums:

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d. city ; 4 points - Most cohesive album of the year, best debut from a new artist since I started seriously following hip-hop, great concept, near flawless execution, an album with universal appeal, and most importantly an album with a standout lyricist of our time that still knows how to make good songs. Kendrick Lamar exceeded expectations when they were already through the roof and the entire industry was watching him. He made the honest album he wanted to make with major label backing in today's age of shitty labels and manufactured artists, and succeeded as the best selling hip-hop artist of the year (fuck a Minaj). Hold that shit, music industry, and Shyne Po.
Standout tracks: Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe, Money Trees, Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst, m.A.A.d. city

2. ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions ; 3 points - EXTRA PILLS! EXTRA PILLS! I have listened to this album far more than any other album this year, outside of maybe Cruel Summer, but ScHoolboy Q proved he was not a one 'tape wonder and could still put out heat. Though not as cohesive as GKMC, Q shows his range while being backed up by stellar and fitting production. Additionally, he dabbles for the first time in introspective raps and that song turned out fantastic, hopefully he does more of those going forward. Q is definitely the hottest dude in the game, swag has been on max since Setbacks and if he can keep the momentum going in 2013, nothings stopping him from eatin'. Also, he's a fucking ad-lib machine. Q! YACK YACK YACK YACK
Standout tracks: Blessed, Sacrilegious, Hands on the Wheel, Druggys Wit Hoes Again, There He Go, Nightmare on Figg St.

3. The Game - Jesus Piece ; 3 points - Also contending for surprise of the year is Game latest album, until Sunday Service began. An interesting theme, perhaps even successfully executed the more I think about the sheer ignorance of the theme itself across the album (so meta). Game justifies the wealth of features on the album through the sheer strength of every track, and what a crime it would be not have some of the guests rap over the fantastic production.
Standout tracks: Ali Bomaye, Jesus Piece, Heaven's Arms.

4. G.O.O.D. Music - Cruel Summer ; 2 points - Pretty close between this and Jesus Piece. Kanye's attention to detail, consistency and diversity shines through this project, raising the bar for posse projects quite considerably. This is an album that knows what it wants to be and executes on it. Has anthems, tracks for the whip, lyrical songs, slower, atmospheric songs, the lot. Shit, my stand out tracks from this album is more than half the album:
Standout tracks: To The World, Clique, Mercy, New God Flow, Cold, Higher, Don't Like Remix

5. Big K.R.I.T. - 4EvaNaDay ; 2 points - Krizzle released his most cohesive project with the highest density of good songs in his entire career, and I salute him for it. Also his most introspective project yet, which is the style I like most from K.R.I.T.. I feel like this has had the best production of his career and his best sequencing as well across the entire project.
Standout tracks: The Alarm, Red Eye

6. DJ Khaled - Kiss The Ring ; 2 points - After seeing the track list and hearing Hip-Hop leak, I had to listen to my first Khaled project, and I was in for a surprise. Khaled does what he does best and just pumps out banger after banger. Surprisingly, artists are pretty well suited to the songs they are on too and aren't thrown around wihtout much care either. Generally how little crap tracks an album has is a good indicator as to how high an album is an on my list, and there were surprisingly few on this album. Bonus points to Khaled for being pretty much the only person who is able to get a good Weezy verse in 2012; Weezy included.
Standout tracks: I Wish You Would, Take It To The Head, Hip-Hop, Bitches & Bottles

7. Meek Mill - Dreams & Nightmares ; 1 point - Also my surprise of the year, Meek Mill surprised me with Traumatized. I didn't know dude had a song like that in him. The rest of the album is pretty standard fare though, but like many others on GAF-Hop believe, this is the album God Forgives, I Don't should have been, and contains the bangers that that album should've had. Before this, I couldn't give a fuck about Meek Mill's B-Rate-Ross ass, but now I'll be keeping my ears open.
Standout tracks: Traumatized, Polo & Shell Tops, Believe It, Dreams & Nightmares

8. Nas - Life is Good ; 1 point - Honestly, this album is basically only this high because it's Nas da gawd is making good songs again, at an unprecedented. Very polarizing album, half of it is utter shit, the other half is sweet, glistening gold. It helps that my favourite track, World's An Addiction is very reminiscent and similar to one of my other favourite Nas songs, Let There Be Light off of Hip Hop is Dead.
Standout tracks: World's An Addiction, Nasty, The Don, Triple Beam Dreams, Daughters

9. Big Sean - Detroit ; 1 point - B.I.G. puts out a mixtape with a good variety of songs, many of which are album material. The songs also highlight Sean's versatility on the mic and his ability to rap over pretty much whatever and however, as the mixtape features some eclectic production. It also gives him the opportunity to flex his lyrical muscle, as he's done all year, and was restrained from doing for the most of Finally Famous, despite Finally Famous being the stronger project.
Standout tracks: Mula, FFOE, 100

10. 2 Chainz - Based on a T.R.U. Story ; 1 point - Admittedly, it's kind of sad this is at the bottom of my list, but this was another surprise of the year. I expected a typical trap record and got.. something a bit different? Interesting uses of samples, alongside the regular bangers made this album go dumb, go retard.
Standout tracks: Crack, I'm Diffrent, Money Machine

Songs:
1. Hip-Hop - DJ Khaled ft. Scarface, Nas & DJ Premier
2. New God Flow - Kanye West, Pusha T & Ghostface Killah
3. Druggys Wit Hoes Again - ScHoolboy Q ft. Ab-Soul
4. Terrorist Threats - Ab-Soul ft. Danny Brown
5. Ali Bomaye - The Game ft. 2 Chainz & Rick Ross
6. I Wish You Would - DJ Khaled ft. Kanye West & Rick Ross
7. m.A.A.d. city - Kendrick Lamar ft. MC Eiht
8. Don't Like (Remix) - Chief Keef, Kanye West, Pusha T, Big Sean & Jadakiss
9. The Alarm - Big K.R.I.T.
10. Mercy - Kanye West, Big Sean, Pusha T & 2Chainz

Artist/Group of the Year ; TDEat
Producer of the Year ; Sounwave (but pretty much all of Digi+Phonics if that counts)
Rookie of the Year ; A$AP Rocky - who has grown to prominence throughout 2011, made strides as an artist and penetrated the mainstream effortlessly. I would give it to Kendrick, but we all knew he was hot already, and probably better served for 2011
Feature Killer of the Year ; Pusha T - demolished every track he was on, 100% consistency.
Biggest Surprise ; Meek Mill's Dreams & Nightmares and how good it was
Biggest Disappointment ; Big K.R.I.T.'s Live From The Underground and how forgettable it was, especially coming off of his best project, 4EvaNaDay

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Truth be told, the songs list was much harder than the albums one. So many good songs I've left out that are all still deserving of being top 10.

Top Albums
1. Good Kidd Maad City ; 4 Points
2. Cigarette Boats ; 3 Points
3. Life is Good ; 3 Points
4. 4evaNaday ; 2 Points
5. Taylor Allerdice ; 2 Points
6. Cruel Summer ; 2 Points
7. ROYALTY ; 1 Point
8. Food & Liquor 2 ; 1 Point
9. Habits & Contradictions ; 1 Point
10. Skelethon ; 1 Point

Top Songs
1) Capitol - Curren$y
2) Sixty-Seven Turbo Jet - Curren$y
3) Sing About Me - Kenderick Lamar
4) Goldie - A$AP Rocky
5) No Lie - 2Chainz
6) My Favorite Song - Wiz Khalifa
7) Art of Peer Pressure - Kenderick Lamar
8) Me and My Old School - Big Krit
9) Terrorist Threats - Ab Soul
10) Ali Bomaye - Game

That was tough.

Artist/Group of the Year
TDE/ Kendrick Lamar - strongest rap group in a while, all with great album debuts.
Producer of the Year - Boi-1da
Rookie of the Year - Joey Bada$$
Feature Killer of the Year Danny Brown, his Tick, Tock verse was the shit.
Biggest Disappointment - LFTU - Nothing memorable on it after 2 good mixtapes, shame.

DominoKid

Artist of the Year: 2 Chainz
Quite simply there was no artist that captured the collective imagination of the public like 2 Chainz. From his numerous guest appearances, to his commericials, and even appearing on First Take to chop it up w/ Skip Bayless (and give him extra swag), 2 Chainz made sure that he would be unavoidable. You’d even hear his adlibs on tracks he wasn’t even on because they were that iconic. He was so unavoidable, Kanye even let him be unofficially GOOD. 2012 was a long time in the making for 2 Chainz who spent most of his career languishing in the background so it’s good to see him standing on top of the rap world and having his moment in the sun. TRUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Producer of the Year: Harry Fraud (followed by Young Chop, Mike Will Made It and Hit-Boy)
Harry Fraud is fucking magic. He has a gift for sampling in that he hits just the right note pretty much all the time. Some producers like to chop shit up beyond recognition, but w/ Fraud simplicity is the key. His greatest ability is his restraint because I really don’t think it’s hard at all to do what he does but he’s so damn consistent with it. Sometimes all you need is a hot sample and some hard drums.
Favorite Songs: WOH, Beleedat, State of Mind, Ozs and Pounds, Mac & Cheese 3 Intro. Too many to name really.

Rookie of the Year: Chief Keef
From the first moment I heard 3Hunna, I knew that Chief Keef would be a force to be reckoned with. With the bombastic beats of Young Chop behind him, Chief Keef became one of the most talked about rappers of the year largely on things that had nothing to do with music. But even still the music mattered. Kanye remixed his song w/o ever even meeting him. Interscope signed him with him still on house arrest having never performed outside of the city. People all over the country talking Chicago slang and they don't even understand it. The music hit people that much. Although his album didn’t sell well, I can’t call it a failure because his audience doesn’t buy music. They just listen to it, and boy did they listen to it because it’s pretty fucking good. Chief Keef was something of a phenomenon in 2012 and I’m excited to see where he takes it in 2013.

Feature Killer of the Year: 2 Chainz
Every year there’s an artist who’s features become the most in-demand. This year it was 2 Chainz. Needed a hot remix? 2 Chainz. Needed a hot verse? 2 Chainz. Needed a high profile feature to grab attention? 2 Chainz. 2 Chainz himself said it best, he "skateboards on a nigga's track." And it’s beautiful.

Biggest Surprise: The Game – Jesus Piece
It’s no secret that I hate Game, so it was really surprising to me that Jesus Piece turned out so well. All the typical shitty Game-isms are still there. The jacked flows, the embarrassing lines, always getting murked by his features. But it really didn’t matter. You can tell that Game put a lot of care and energy into this album. It isn’t my favorite album and it won’t crack my top 10 but I have to tip my cap to him.

Biggest Disappointment: Big KRIT – Live From The Underground
I don’t know what happened, but somewhere between Return of 4Eva and 4EvaNADay, KRIT just lost it. His lyrics fell off, his hooks fell off and his production fell off. I figured he was saving the heat for the album and then Live From The Underground dropped and it just sucked. I still think he’s a good artist and a promising talent but he needs to go back to the drawing board and realize what made people like him. There’s a few good cuts (Rich Dad Poor Dad being the standout), but overall it’s an awful album.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honorable Mention Albums/Mixtapes
A$AP Mob – Lords Never Worry | DJ Khaled – Kiss The Ring | Captain Murphy – Duality | Meek Mill – Dreams & Nightmares
GOOD Music – Cruel Summer | Curren$y – Cigarette Boats (Harry Fraud) | Wiz Khalifa – Taylor Allderdice | Big Sean – Detroit
Killer Mike – RAP Music | Lil B – White Flame | Schoolboy Q – Habits N Contradictions | Chief Keef – Finally Rich | The Game - Jesus Piece

and now...THE LIST.

10. 2 Chainz – Based on a TRU Story - 1 point
BoaTS is the most fun rap album I’ve heard…ever? 2 Chainz wields the English language like silly putty, bending it to his will. There’s no better example of that than Crack where he randomly inserts an extra syllable into certain words. At first listen it sounds damn silly but it just works. And basically that seems to be the guiding principle behind BoaTS. It just works. The only missteps come when he actually tries to rap seriously on Stop Me Now and Ghetto Dreams. 2 Chainz is at his best when he’s being the larger than life rapper that he is.
Favorite Songs: Birthday Song, No Lie, Crack, Dope Peddler

9. Curren$y – The Stoned Immaculate - 1 point
Spitta finally hit the majors and he hit a home run. The beats sound beautiful, glossy and expensive, very fitting for the brand of luxury rap he’s pitching. Spitta streamlined his flows & patterns to great effect and made some of the best songs he’s ever made.
Favorite Songs: Chandelier, Showroom, Off That, Lost In The Bossness, What It Look Like

8. Gucci Mane – I’m Up - 1 point
2012 was a spectacular return to form for Gucci Mane after a few off years. The best of his 3 projects being I’m Up. The production is STRONG all the way through featuring some of the best beats I’ve heard from Mike Will, Lex Luger and Young Chop. Gucci does the beats justice dropping quotable after quotable in a way that only Gucci can.
Favorite Songs: Trap Boomin, I’m Up, Kansas, Brought Out Them Racks, Get Lost, Super Cocky

7. Kendrick Lamar – good kid, maad city - 1 point
GKMC is one of the best put together albums I’ve ever heard. The songs are tied together in what’s basically Boyz In The Hood in audio form. But taken individually, the actual songs are about 60/40 quality wise. Real is mindnumbingly annoying. Dying of Thirst and Backseat Freestyle are wack, context be damned. Ultimately I think he would’ve been better served to give a little more care to the individual songs.
Favorite Songs: Maad City, Sing About Me, Black Boy Fly, Poetic Justice

6. Rick Ross – Rich Forever – 2 points
Rich Forever is Rick Ross at his best. It’s really unfortunate that the crown jewel of Rick Ross’ discography is a free mixtape. I personally believe that this was the original GFID for the most part. The songs just fit the title much better. The album starts out hard and rarely lets up, culminating in the now iconic Stay Schemin track where Drake slams the door shut on the album. Well fucking done Ross.
Favorite Songs: Holy Ghost, New Bugatti, I Swear to God, Stay Schemin, Triple Beam Dreams

5. Future – Pluto – 2 points
Pluto was a really interesting album. Pluto is largely a rap/R&B fusion w/ Future autotune crooning over trap production, so I think it’s good that they put some of the harder hits on the album as well. After stumbling out the blocks w/ the R. Kelly track the album rolls pretty well from there.
Favorite Songs: Permanent Scar, Turn Out The Lights, Same Damn Time, Neva End

4. Ab-Soul - Control System – 2 points
2012 was a banner year for TDE and the best of the projects came from the paranoid mind of Ab-Soul. Control System is like looking into the abyss. Ab-Soul explores conspiracy theories, drug use, religious themes, women and the lost of loved ones in the most earnest and heartfelt album of the year. The difference between this and say…a Lupe Fiasco album is that it never feels like Ab-Soul is preaching to you. Ultimately the decision is yours on how you choose to feel about these topics, Ab-Soul is just giving you his world view. Ab-Soul attacks these issues with the lyrical agility much like that of a championship boxer. I’m really impressed by how he puts lines together. This is conscious rap done right.
Favorite Songs: Terrorist Threats, Mixed Emotions, Illuminate, Black Lip Bastard Remix

3. Dom Kennedy – The Yellow Album – 3 points
First things first, Dom doesn’t really rap on this album. He mainly just talks fly over immaculate production. Somehow it ends up being his best project yet though. I have to admit I didn’t like it at all at first though but it grew on me when I started listening to it during a point where I was really down. Basically all Dom wants is peace, happiness, a bad bitch and a better situation for his friends and family. It’s simple but it hit me deep because that’s where I am mentally right now. I also have to throw Kendrick some credit for his best mainstream guest verse yet on We Ball.
Favorite Songs: So Elastic, Been Thuggin, We Ball, 5.0/Conversations

2. French Montana – Mac & Cheese 3 – 3 points
French Montana as he currently exists is a summation of many influences and he wears them all on M&C3 where he successfully transitions from NY rapper to a “star.” He rarely wows lyrically but his flows do the job and he’s got the ability to attack nearly any type of song. He’s also got an incredible knack for making good hooks. The most interesting tracks are the throwbacks (State of Mind & Triple Double) where he repurposes D’Evils and Today Was A Good Day. On paper this shouldn’t work…at all. But French throws his own spin on it. Bad Boy dropped the ball by not releasing Excuse My French this year. I wonder how many songs on here were originally meant for it.
Favorite Songs: Yayo, Water, State Of Mind, Triple Double, Diamonds

1. Chief Keef – Back From The Dead – 4 points
Police sirens, gun shots, DJ MOONDAWG tags, Young Chop on the beat, hi-hat rolls on every track. From the minds of 2 teenagers. It shouldn’t work. It really shouldn’t work. It’s scary that it does. Back From The Dead is the best trap album/mixtape I’ve ever heard. I think what separates this album from other trap music is that it doesn’t sound cartoonish. Instead of yelling like a maniac like Flocka or spitting ridiculous shit like Gucci or 2 Chainz, Keef doesn’t really rap so much as deliver a series of deadpan gang threats recorded to wax. It’s believable. It’s menacing. It’s almost frightening. It scares people. Chief Keef is the cause of all of Chicago’s evil to let the media tell it. Chief Keef was rap’s existential crisis in 2012 and the creator of it’s best piece of work. It made you question where exactly we were headed if an album like Back From The Dead could even exist, let alone be praised. The now classic I Don’t Like captures the spirit of this album better than any song. Keef & Reese spend the better part of 5 minutes talking about all the things they don’t like in a type of structure and brevity that reminds me of Dr. Seuss. Bangbang.
Favorite Songs: Sosa, I Don’t Like, 3Hunna, Everyday (really all of them)

i8kqVjlAYO6zm.gif

Actually took the time to do a write up this year...feels good haha.
Lotta good songs this year, not enough space on my list!

PBY

Banned
Good shit domino. Trap God is so underrated tho. Listened to it today and it's so good and I even forgot to put it on my list

No waaaaay. The first seven tracks are fuckkng amazing, and I loved his other two, especially I'm Up.

I'm Up is so superior it's not even funny tbh. Trap God sounds like he spent his money all on the first two tapes and decided to just push something small out and get as much profit as possible. He doesn't even sound like he's trying on the songs outside of the like 4 songs. I honestly don't get how yall even remotely like it or think it's comparable to his efforts this year. If it was the first Gucci tape that dropped this year and wasn't called trap god, I wouldn't have been so hard on it, but the first two just sound so much better and filled with more quotables and funny lines from Guc

PBY

Banned
Man we will never agree. I feel like his raps are better and hungrier, his beats are in another league, and the features are better pretty much objectively. And that intro? Cmooon

Man we will never agree. I feel like his raps are better and hungrier, his beats are in another league, and the features are better pretty much objectively. And that intro? Cmooon

I guess, but only cause it features rappers who primarily rap over type of beats and looking back I remember saying about 8 songs into it is where I just plainly got tired of listening to it.

DominoKid

Nice writeup Dom, though best trap is TM101

i agree although i consider it a precursor to this trap era. Lex Luger took it up another level giving us what we've had since 2010. if it stays hot we might look back on Young Chop as another step up the ladder.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
1. Kendrick Lamar – Good Kid M.A.A.D. City : 4 points
2. Killer Mike – R.A.P. Music : 3 points
3. Big Krit – 4Eva N A Day : 3 points
4. Joey BadA$$ - 1999 : 2 points
5. Nas – Life is Good : 2 points
6. The Game – Jesus Piece : 2 points
7. Curren$y – Stoned Immaculate : 1 point
8. Freddie Gibbs – BFK : 1 point
9. Roc Marciano – Reloaded : 1 point
10. Captain Murphy - Duality : 1 point

Feature Killer : Styles P
Producer of the Year : Harry Fraud
Rookie of the Year : Joey BadA$$
Artist/Group of the Year : Kendrick Lamar
Biggest Surprise – the fact that Pusha T is finally getting some mainstream shine and there still isn't a proper album out.
Biggest Disappointment : How many artist dropped better mixtapes/eps than albums (Rick Ross, Spitta, krit, etc), also no Jay Electronica

Top 10 Songs of the Year:
Nas ft Scarface - Hip Hop
Kendrick Lamar – The Art of Peer Pressure
Curren$y – Sixty-Seven Turbo Jet
Freddie Gibbs – Kush Clouds
Curren$y – Biscayne Bay
Kanye – White Dress
Game – Ali Bomaye
Big K.r.i.t - Sky Club
Kendrick Lamar – Hol’ up
Kendrick Lamar – Heart Pt. 3

My personal Quotable for 2012 is from Curren$y Leaving the Dock (…Girl/ I’d advise you to play your position/ Before you see another ho in your jersey/ trying to score 30). But really I know EP’s aren’t allowed but Cigarette boats would have been in my top 5 if it were allowed.

iavi

I'm Up is so superior it's not even funny tbh. Trap God sounds like he spent his money all on the first two tapes and decided to just push something small out and get as much profit as possible. He doesn't even sound like he's trying on the songs outside of the like 4 songs. I honestly don't get how yall even remotely like it or think it's comparable to his efforts this year. If it was the first Gucci tape that dropped this year and wasn't called trap god, I wouldn't have been so hard on it, but the first two just sound so much better and filled with more quotables and funny lines from Guc

Yeah, I feel the same way. Trap God has nothing on I'm Up. It hit hard, but given time, it didn't last the same way with me.

1. Killer Mike- R.A.P. Music ; 4 points

2. ScHoolboy Q- Habits & Contradictions ; 3 points

3. Kendrick Lamar- Good Kid, M.A.A.D City ; 3 points

4. Deniro Farrar- DESTINY. altered ; 2 points

5. Deniro Farrar & Shady Blaze- Kill Or Be Killed ; 2 points

6. Ab-Soul- Control System ; 2 points

7. El-P- Cancer 4 Cure ; 1 point

8. Action Bronson- Blue Chips ; 1 point

9. The Illz- The Darkest Hour ; 1 point

10. Freddie Gibbs- Baby Face Killa ; 1 point

Habits & Contradictions is by far my most played album of 2012, but R.A.P. Music is such a tightly made, commanding, energetic album that I had to give it top honors. Killer Mike and El-P brought their A game. Kendrick's album has been discussed to death so...yeah, that's number 3. Deniro Farrar next in line TWICE because he was THAT good this year. Dark, paranoid, great samples, so good. Hell, in a weaker year he would've made the list 3 times with the BSBD EP he just dropped. Next up, Ab-Soul and El-P are just 2 really enjoyable albums, El-P in particular with some great production. At 8, Bronson's Blue Chips instead of Rare Chandeliers because I think the production suits him more on the former. The Illz comes in at 9 with some more of that dark, chill, atmospheric sound that I love; good winter music. And at 10, Freddie Gibbs would've been higher if not for the (slightly) weaker 2nd half of BFK, but the initial string of tracks has gotten a lot of play.

RJT

1. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC - 4 points
2. Killer Mike - RAP music - 3 points
3. Schoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions - 3 points
4. El-P - Cancer 4 Cure - 2 points
5. Joey Bada$$ - 1999 - 2 points
6. Ab-Soul - Control System - 2 points
7. Murs & 9th Wonder - The Final Adventure - 1 point
8. Nas - Life is Good - 1 point
9. Big Krit – 4Eva N A Day - 1 point
10. Action Bronson - Blue Chips - 1 point

Tied for the 10th place: Meek Mill - Dreams & Nightmares, Captain Murphy - Duality, and Deniro Farrar - DESTINY. altered. Action Bronson takes the lead for now, but I may change it.

IrishNinja

damn totally forgot Illz put shit out last year...

also ya'll can keep name-dropping ab soul, but tokus ain't comin back

Esch

Banned
Tell me this wasnt Verse of the Year:

A project minded individual, criminal tactics
Us black kids born with birth defects, we hyperactive
Mentally sex-crazed, dysfunctional they describe us
They liars, at the end of the day, we fuckin survivors
I remember watching Scarface the first time
Look at that big house, that Porsche paid for by crime
How could I sell this poison to my peoples in my mind?
They dumb and destroy themselves is how I rationalize
In a bastardized nation, magnum .45 carrying
Where I'm from ain't far from Washington Heights to cop Aryan
A rookie boy, the cookie didn't make no profit
A stranger to the block, I damn near had to make them cop it
It only took a fiend to taste it once to say it's garbage
I brought it back to papi, ain't trying to take no losses
He focuses on my emotionless young dealer face then pauses
He gives me powder, he has faith in Nas' ambitions to distribute coke
Had addictions to gold chains, Mercedes Benz hopes, but I'm again broke
This shit ain't cut for me, other dealers, they up their orders
Barely at 62s, they already up to quarters
They out there every day, some true hustlers for you
I'm at it half way, none of my customers are loyal
Picturing piping out the seats of a Pathfinder
Powerful pursuit for pussy, cash to flash diamonds
My junior high school class, wish I stayed there
Illegal entrepreneur, I got my grades there
Blaming society, mad, it wasn't made fair
I would be Ivy League if America played fair
Poor excuse, and so I was
Throwing rocks at the pen just for the love
Before the evil, the secret life of G's
You seeing my blurry, triple beam dreams

i1mrmR3EokyBn.gif

Wiz

2012 was pretty good.

Ab Soul - Control System ; 4 points
Lupe Fiasco - Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album Part 1 ; 3 points
Kendrick Lamar - good kid, M.A.A.D. city ; 3 points
Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music ; 2 points
Nas - Life is Good ; 2 points
Big Boi - Vicious Lies And Dangerous Rumors ; 2 points
Lecrae - Gravity ; 1 point
KB - Weight & Glory; 1 point
Big K.R.I.T. - 4 Eva N A Day ; 1 point
Trip Lee - The Good Life; 1 point

1. DMX - Undisputed (With a capital fuck you Des)
  2. Iron Fists OST
  3. Kendrick - GKMC
  4. Joey Badass - 1999
  5. Slaughterhouse - Welcome to Our House
  6. Nas - Life is Good
  7. Xzibit - Napalm
  8. Kanye/GOOD - Cruel Summer
  9. Killer Mike - RAP Music
  10. Game - Jesus Piece

Poster of the Year: Des (came too correct this year)
Jokes of the Year: PhoenixDark (too many to list)
Rookie of the Year: Thabiz (old fuck transplant)
Belligerent Fuck of the Year: Enter the 36 Chambers (you beat recon fam!)
Worst Poster of the Year 2012: mlarine and Fixed2BeBroken. You both suck.

Just cause i dont like Bronson. Oh lord thats hateful...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
My Internet is out at home... I might have to put this list together some other way.

Albums Of The Year

1. good kid m.A.A.d city - Kendrick Lamar; 4 points
  2. Habits and Contradictions - ScHoolboy Q; 3 points
  3. Control System - Ab-Soul; 3 points
  4. Life Is Good - Nas; 2 points
  5. Live From The Underground - Big K.R.I.T.; 2 points
  6. The Stoned Immaculate - Curren$y; 2 points
  7. Detroit - Big Sean; 1 point
  8. R.A.P. Music - Killer Mike; 1 point
  9. 1999 - Joey Bada$$; 1 point
  10. 4eVa N a Day - Big K.R.I.T.; 1 point

Artist/Group Of The Year - Kendrick Lamar/TDE. Great all around year for TDE. Started great with HnC. Then we got blessed with Control System in the Spring. Then ended the year off with GKMC. TDEAT

Producer Of The Year - Hit-Boy. Cause he makes hits, BOY.

Rookie Of The Year - Joey Bada$$. Great year for the kid, and paved the way for a brighter future in 2013. R.I.P. Capital Steez

Feature Killer Of The Year - 2Chainz. Personally his album was trash, but his features are great and memorable.

Biggest Surprise - GKMC living up to the hype.

Biggest Disappointment Of The Year - Cruel Summer. I was so hyped for this album and it kind of fell flat for me. Kanye didn't seem as focused as he was on WTT/MBDTF, and it showed. Especially with all the mastering problems and Kanye sampling his own verse on the album on another song. Could've been great. I guess Cruel Winter will hopefully be better.

Songs Of The Year No Order
  • Money Trees - Kendrick Lamar
  • Showroom - Curren$y
  • Sing About Me - Curren$y
  • Track Two - Ab-Soul
  • Sacrilegious - ScHoolboy Q
  • Bitch, Don't Kill My Vibe - Kendrick Lamar
  • Swimming Pools - Kendrick Lamar
  • m.A.A.d City - Kendrick Lamar
  • New God Flow - Kanye West & Pusha T
  • Mercy - G.O.O.D. Music
  • Hip Hop - DJ Khaled ft. Nas & Scarface
  • Pray - Game ft. J. Cole & JMSN
  • Cartoons & Cereal - Kendrick Lamar
  • Terrorist Threats - Ab-Soul ft. Danny Brown
  • Chum - Earl Sweatshirt
  • Reagan - Killer Mike
  • The Recipe - Kendrick Lamar Ft. Dr. Dre

BlackHippy_Thumbnail.jpg

Top 10 Albums of the Year

1. Kendrick Lamar - good kid, m.A.A.d city ; 4 points
2. Roc Marciano - Reloaded ; 3 points
3. ScHoolboy Q - Habits & Contradictions ; 3 points
4. Freddie Gibbs - #BFK (Baby Face Killa) ; 2 points
5. Nas - Life is Good ; 2 points
6. KA - Grief Pedigree ; 2 points
7. Action Bronson & Party Supplies - Blue Chips ; 1 point
8. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music ; 1 point
9. El-P - Cancer for Cure ; 1 point
10. Curren$y - The Stoned Immaculate ; 1 point

Artist/Group of the Year
Kendrick Lamar

Producer of the Year
The Alchemist

Rookie of the Year
Joey Bada$$

Feature Killer of the Year
Pusha T

Biggest Surprise
GKMC being even better than the amazing Section.80.

Biggest Disappointment
Cruel Summer

Ferd

1. Ab-Soul - Control System

2. Kendrick Lamar - GKMC

3. Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

4. Roc Marciano - Reloaded

5. The Alchemist - Russian Roulette

6. Action Bronson - Rare Chandeliers

7. Schoolboy Q - Habits and Contradictions

8. Freddie Gibbs - BFK

9. Big KRIT - Live from the Underground

10. Big Boi - Vicious Lies and Dangerous Rumors

HiResDes

Fjordson and 90Till both have really good taste...36 Chamber's DMX pick might be the worse I've ever seen in the three years we've done this.

HiResDes

Damn didn't know all of dem lists were up...With writeups too!...Bout to read through these, and post mine, also good looks Esch I'd have nominated you this year actually *no circle jerk*

Group of the Year: Seriously? We all know its TDE, you're in bitter denial if you don't agree. Great to see these guys really grow this year.

Producer of the Year: Young Chop, simply for I Don't Like. And if Kanye pulls you from the gutter, you know you've got something going on.

Rookie of the Year: Joey Bada$$, never heard of him till this year, some real 90s rap right here and I love it.

1. good kid, m.A.A.d city - AOTY right here. So glad it was received (and sold) so well. I haven't anticipated an album this eagerly in a while and I even bought a physical copy! 4

2. Control System - So hard to decide between this and HnC for second place, but as I hadn't really listened to much Ab before this, I was more surprised by its astounding quality. 3

3. Habits & Contradictions - I was really looking forward to this one as well. Setbacks was pretty good but this album brought Q to a whole new level. Opening track is amazing. 3

4. 1999 - Solid rap right here. "Man one day I'm trying to have a wife and kids, so I just can't live my life like this." 2

5. Finally Rich - I can't believe I'm writing this but this album actually delivered. Just straight bangers, even Laughin to the Bank has some redeeming value as comedy. 2

6. Triple F Life: Friends, Fans & Family - Another album of bangers, the complete opposite side of the spectrum compared to TDE. ignant right here 2

7. Based on a T.R.U. Story - Another ignant one. His rise to fame seems as manufactured as Nicki's but he definitely captured people's attention this year, so I'll give him some credit. 1

Song of the Year - Terrorist Threats (feat. Danny Brown), took a little for me to feel this one but its anti-establishment vibe is amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom