• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF how do we turn a PC into a full console experience?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
So I have a pc that I want to turn into a console. I want it to be as console like as I can possible get. I want to be able to navigate all the menus open all the applications, and launch all the games via controller from a couch.

I want to be able to use other sources besides Steam, big picture mode, because it is almost impossible to add all my games from different sources, and navigate them without having to use a mouse and keyboard

I’d like to be up and open a web browser media Spotify emulators and do basically everything that you could do with the PC but do it from a controller?

Is that even possible? If so, what tools and applications do you guys recommend to make this work? Appreciate any de-bloaters / apps you use to achieve this?

Multitasking like pop into Spotify change music and back to game etc.

Last edited:

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Please read the op as it posted before I finished. BIG picture mode does a lot right but I find it impossible to launch say battle net games or epic game from within stream as it opens their launchers and requires a keyboard etc.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Steam Big Picture Mode just doesn't cover everything it needs to to make it a true "console experience".

I've shared this a few times here, but here's how you do it:

I'm a 100% couch PC gamer on a high-end PC solely dedicated to gaming. Works great for me.
  • Playnite to bring all of my launchers/game library into one console friendly interface.
  • ReWASD to configure a hot key on my controller to essentially turn it into a virtual mouse. This is extremely useful in those small instances where you need to mouse through a notification or splash screen or whatever
  • I use an app called Wolow on my phone to turn on my PC right from my phone using Wake on LAN. This is optional but it's nice as it means you don't have to get up & press the power button to turn on your PC
  • I also have a Logitech K400 Plus lap keyboard/trackpad combo, because there's always going to be instances where you need to type something or just need the ease-of-use of a kb/trackpad. In the end you're still on a PC and you're never going to be able to just use only controller 100% of the time

With this combination, I'm able to couch game very, very comfortably, and it truly does feel like a console experience 90% of the time. It's also crazy to be able to access all of my PC games as well as all of my emulated games from one UI with a controller. Essentially playing NES, SNES, Genesis, N64, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, GameCube, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4, Switch, Xbox Series, PS5, and PC level games all from one system.

Here's a screenshot of the dashboard I see every time I wake my computer:

53556362471_c60ffce127_o.png

And here's a few photos of my setup:

53446607901_b660894724_o.jpg

53446988640_fb2beb7469_o.jpg

Last edited:
So I have a pc that I want to turn into a console. I want it to be as console like as I can possible get. I want to be able to navigate all the menus open all the applications, and launch all the games via controller from a couch.
We’re simply not there yet. It partly requires MS to do their part in changing windows 11 to fit what you want.

Phil has talked about his interest in this new wave of W11 portables but until they take action or until the Surface team figures something out, you have to deal with the annoyances of needing certain devices and janky interfacing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Please read the op as it posted before I finished. ig picture mode does a lot right but I find it impossible to launch say battle net games or epic game from within stream as it opens their launchers and requires a keyboard etc.
People are saying it because it's the best tool for the job. The flaws you mentioned are inherent of other platforms - like, if that other launcher has to be running and you need a keyboard to sign into it, no 3rd party app is going to solve that problem for you.

You can add your games to Steam as "non-steam shortcuts", and access them from within Big Picture mode. SteamGridDB.com is a good resource for adding cover art and whatnot to make it all look nice.

There are other third party launchers, but they all basically do the same thing as Steam Big Picture mode. For example Launchbox Big Box (paid product):

It's mostly geared towards emulation, but you can also have it sync your Steam, Epic, etc. libraries and launch from it - but you'll have the same problems as Steam Big Picture.

Also Playnite is popular

If you're wanting to easily pop over to change something like the music in Spotify (on the fly) then Steam's in-game overlay will do that, while others won't.

Last edited:

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
I want to be able to navigate all the menus open all the applications, and launch all the games via controller from a couch.
I doubt you can and navigating an UI with controller sucks a lot compare to a mouse as you can be fast and click wherever you want, so the best way by far is still mouse on the "couch". I have and board the size of the mouse pad for that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is like asking how to turn Margot Robbie into Rosie O'Donnel.

i cant even get steam big picture to launch when i boot up my pc so sorry cant be much help.

Denton

This obsession with controlling PC via controller is just moronic.

Logitech K400 all day every day. I am writing this on it (and TV).

danklord

Gold Member
61sdd573w9S._AC_SL1346_.jpg

I've been PC gaming in the living room for years and the Pepper Jobs Remote has been the most game changing input solution I've found. It's an air mouse with windows hot keys and a full keyboard on the back. I can use it to power on and navigate my TV menus as well as control my PC. This has completely changed the game for me, and I think it's the best solution for what you're looking for.

Here's the link

El Muerto

You can also use Pegasus and Emulation Station to launch your pc games in a front end using your controller. I use a dual sense(or DS4) on a linux htpc and steam big picture. The touchpad is nice to have as you can use it as a mouse. There's apps in Windows that allow this but the driver causes controller issues in games.

Hudo

I'd probably look into SteamDeck OS. It's at least one that is actively developed by people who give a shit (Valve). There are a lot of guides out there how to turn it up by also enabling to play games that usually use Battle.net, Epic Games Launcher and whatnot.
SteamDeck OS is not limited to the SteamDeck. You can install it on a regular-ass PC since it's essentially just Arch but without you having to wear a fedora and owning a Katana.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Only a gaf member would want their pc to be turned into a shitty closed off system like the consoles. Its hard to double click these days.

It's just more convenient if you're primarily gaming from a couch. You still have all of that configurability/options if you need them. No need to be an elitist about it.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
That’s what I have. Solves a lot of problems.
OK I can live with this, but can someone tell me how to get app that are not games etc to open in big picture mode and close back down so I can get back to gaming all from within steam? Ive only been able to open an application and than it just sits there and I have to use a keyboard to navigate back to my game etc.

OK I can live with this, but can someone tell me how to get app that are not games etc to open in big picture mode and close back down so I can get back to gaming all from within steam? Ive only been able to open an application and than it just sits there and I have to use a keyboard to navigate back to my game etc.

Stuff like that is going to be program dependent. The reality is no matter what people on here tell you this setup works but will have little issues like the one you are describing above. There will be little quirks here and there with this setup. With the little keyboard you have you can just alt+tab back to steam big picture. I spent years doing it and it's close but wasn't close enough for me. Spent to much time TSing stuff when I could have just been gaming. I think once or if Steam ever has an official SteamOS release that it will be much better because the steam deck feels just like a console.

Also if you have an issue with the Xbox wireless controllers disconnecting look into getting an 8bitduo. It doesn't happen to everyone but I verified it happens to enough people. 8bitduo ultimate though worked perfectly. Someone here suggested it and it worked.

The wireless adapter is kinda unecessary if you have a long enough usb-c cable at home.

He wants full console experience. I don't think he meant consoles from 3+ gens ago

SHA

Put the steam launcher on runtime, map other non steam games like emulators and games from other launchers with steam and use steam controller, don't put or install anything that may force you to use mouse and keyboard as much as possible, from the bios, assign one button for booting your device, and the other button for one click shut down, for updates, I recommend automatic updates with schedule so it won't annoy you in the weekend in couch play with friends and family.

Last edited:

hlm666

I want to be able to use other sources besides Steam, big picture mode, because it is almost impossible to add all my games from different sources, and navigate them without having to use a mouse and keyboard

I’d like to be up and open a web browser media Spotify emulators and do basically everything that you could do with the PC but do it from a controller?

Is that even possible? If so, what tools and applications do you guys recommend to make this work? Appreciate any de-bloaters / apps you use to achieve this?

Multitasking like pop into Spotify change music and back to game etc.
Seeing you want to use web browsers and things you know need mouse control, i'm assuming your eye sight is like an eagle otherwise your going to have to view mobile pages to not screw the formatting with large text settings and there should be a setting in some browsers to request the mobile page if that's your route.

Anyway your going to need something like this pull off using web browsers with a controller although i'm not sure why you don't use a phone or tablet like a console user.

edit: For debloaters as you put it, if you don't know what your doing you can screw shit up pretty easy. If your hell bent on doing it this guys tool is good but watch his videos explaining what the downsides are.

Last edited:

Kataploom

Gold Member
Steam Big Picture + Xbox Wireless Controller + Set your windows to init without password and your Steam to open in SBP too.

You won't feel the need of getting out of steam as long as you buy your games there directly, which is what I'm currently doing. and are installing mods and whatever, so you'll mostly only use your controller to do your gaming stuff on Steam and to turn your computer off.

As far as I see it, it's basically like having a Steam Deck plugged to the TV because it's literally the same UI. You can have a small keyboard with trackpad set aside in order to do some stuff in windows, like updating drivers but I have like since November without updating them and haven't cared at all.

Kataploom

Gold Member
You can use DS4 or "DS5" trackpads as mouse too and virtual keyboard.
Didn't know that... that's cool, most of the time windows related stuff are just "using a mouse to click stuff" and actually typing. Hell, you can even use the Steam Controller feature for Desktop stuff, the only problem I see without a keyboard is switching windows without ALT+TAB in SBP

killatopak

You don’t. You can come close to it but you will still be required to tinker stuff from time to time.

Been a PC gamer and a console gamer for more than two decades. They each have their own quirks. The ease of consoles and the sea of options on PC.

For UI and controls, I’ve ran some custom apps that let you do direct shortcuts using combinations of controller or mouse presses. I’ve only been able use it for my browser and windows media player. Opening bookmarks and changing playlist, volume, pause, play etc. I haven’t tested it on spotify.

Crayon

Just give in and get a little motion mouse / keyboard remote. You'll save yourself a lot of headache.

Stuart360

Peopel are overcomplicating this a bit. I have had my PC connected to my TV for years and use my controller to control my PC by just using X-Padder.
I have my left stick set to be the mouse, and the LB and RB buttons are the left and right mouse buttone. Then i have the face buttons for stuff like 'Enter', and 'Delete', etc.

Doing it this way means its literally just like using a PC normally but instead using a controller to do everything instead of the mouse.

Last edited:

Codiox

This works quite well.

vB2itiLbFAYwRUNSzaPU2k-1200-80.jpg
Yep, using this for 4 years now on my own console PC.

This in combination with joyXoff and you will never need a mouse or keyboard ever again. these days I can browse quicker with a controller and my own hotkeys than i can on a laptop.

Also Playnite as a launcher for current Gen games and apps (I made twitch in browser kiosk mode full screen for instance) , Bigbox for all the retro stuff.

And to turn the PC on I use a wifi socket with Alexa.

Never looked back to a console. Made the jump after ps4pro and will never get a "standard console" ever again.

-Games are dirt cheap,
- you can config every game like you want to and don't have to rely on "performance mode" our stuff like that.
-You can use mods (elden Ring coop says hello)

once you have set up everything you learn a lot and are good to go.

Last edited:
Top Bottom