• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF is almost unusable on mobile

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have GAF Gold, mainly because I want to support the site. It's mostly fine, EXCEPT for the auto-loading of new posts. That almost completely ruins the experience, because (at least in Chrome Android) it makes the page jump around like crazy as new posts are loaded in, making me lose my place over and over again. It's extremely frustrating. I don't even like the feature in general, I don't want to see new posts pop up on older pages when I'm catching up to a thread, I want to read every post in order.

I even went as far as to temporarily unsubscribe from Gold to get rid of this behavior, but man, the ads when you're not subscribed are on a whole new level now lol. Can't deal with that either.

The simple solution to this would be to allow us to disable auto-loading. If it can be enabled on Gold and otherwise disabled, surely it would be possible to add a user setting for it for Gold subscribers?

gothmog

Gold Member
Agreed that auto loading is weird. Android/chrome user here. Not sure how configurable the logic is on that, but I just want auto load to kick in if I'm on the last page of a thread.

Robbinhood

Banned
My only issue on mobile is I like Classic theme and you have to scroll all the way to the bottom of the page to change pages. Wtf!

The other theme works fine but sucks.

diffusionx

Gold Member
"Just buy an iPhone" is not a solution, ffs.
MwGrGeq.jpg

(I think there's a toggle to turn off autoloading... or is there?)

Last edited:
No issues here using Firefox Focus or Safari.

I'm not Gold so my comment doesn't matter. I'll go back to shining shoes for nickels now.

Last edited:

GutsOfThor

The toolbar doesn't work for me on Brave browser mobile and hasn't worked for a few weeks now. Not sure what changed

Last edited:

demigod

Maybe try another browser? I browse in Safari on an iPhone, and the site doesn't jump around at all.
Wrong, im on safari and when i had gaf gold gifted to me, it jumped me like the OP said. How the fuck are you guys not having this issue or do you guys not understand what the OP said?

Crayon

I really like to be able to turn it off. Both the scroll-jumping and the new posts on old page. I don't like it.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
For a sec I thought maybe this was a satire post cause I honestly think the mobile site is among the best I’ve ever used.

I am on iOS though..

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
What's far more annoying is browing neogaf on desktop without gaf gold. That white popup at the bottom of the screen is ANNOYING and it's there EVERY time you load a new page.

mortal

Gold Member
The auto-load new posts feature is great for live threads during directs and showcases.
Although it can often disrupt the flow of normal threads, so being able to toggle it would be cool.

Palliasso

Requiescat In Pace
Staff Member
We have received a lot of user feedback on this feature - some users love it, and some actively hate it. For some users their experience is flawless, for others it's disruptive.

Starting today, I have created a toggle so that users can disable this feature, if you choose to. It can be accessed in your account preferences page.

Because this requires some server-side processing - the process to enable or disable it for users is run every 20 minutes. That means that if you set the preference to disable the feature, it could remain active for up to 20 minutes.

I hope this is a good compromise for everyone. If you have any feedback on this process, please feel free to share it with me.

Edmund

The auto loading is dumb asf too and I was counting down to the number of days before my gold membership expired so I can read threads properly.

Chrome is absolutely horrendous and I find that mostly unusable.

I used to use it exclusively until a few months ago when I switched to Firefox on my phone. It's so much faster and smoother. It's like the difference between dial-up and cable speeds.

I don't know what the hell Google was thinking about with Chrome. They really need to fix that shit.

Edit: I was wondering why everything was jumping around. I noticed the auto loading too and yes I agree that is annoying. I think I'll go ahead and toggle it off now.

Last edited:

Rockondevil

For those saying it’s fine I can see most/none of you are gold so don’t have the auto loading.

I had gold last month and can confirm the auto loading was making the page jump past posts sometimes which was annoying.

Back off gold now and obviously it’s fine because it doesn’t auto load.

Last edited:
Top Bottom