• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Please let me disable automatic new post loading (Gold)

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I subscribe to Gold because I want to support GAF and keep it running, but I HATE this feature. For anyone unaware, when you have Gold new posts automatically appear in the thread you're reading, which is meant to be helpful but for me is only annoying 99% of the time. If you're reading an earlier page of a thread, new posts will appear at the end of that page even though they don't belong there, which messes up the order of posts. I never want to read post #356 until I'm actually at that point in the thread. It also causes the page to jump up and down (at least on Android), making you lose your place.

I want the option to turn this feature off, or at least make it so that this only happens if you're actually on the last page of a thread where these new posts SHOULD appear (this is the logical way for this to work IMO).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
EviLore EviLore any chance of getting an "official" comment on this? I know it's not you personally managing the forum software (Palliasso?), but would be good to hear whether anything can be done. I know I'm not the only one bothered by it.

Last edited:
So nobody has taken over the position?

Who is running Gold?

I got a taste of Gold (thanks whoever gifted it) and the automatic loading sucked. I'd join Gold but don't feel it's worth it. Apart from having posts load all I could really tell was that my name was in gold and so was the Neogaf logo. The Gold page says that more features are coming soon but seems like no work is being put into it. I'd think that trying to make Gold more attractive would be a priority.

Mistake

When posting on mobile, if I push font options, there’s no way to get rid of it. I have to reload the page

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
So nobody has taken over the position?

Who is running Gold?

I got a taste of Gold (thanks whoever gifted it) and the automatic loading sucked. I'd join Gold but don't feel it's worth it. Apart from having posts load all I could really tell was that my name was in gold and so was the Neogaf logo. The Gold page says that more features are coming soon but seems like no work is being put into it. I'd think that trying to make Gold more attractive would be a priority.

The other features are:
  • No ads
  • You help keep GAF running

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
It's the one reason (things like pride or shame don't come into it) I haven't fished for gold in any of the account suicide threads after I got gifted the first time.

It's a hassle in any particularly active thread

Saber

Gold Member
I subscribe to Gold because I want to support GAF and keep it running, but I HATE this feature. For anyone unaware, when you have Gold new posts automatically appear in the thread you're reading, which is meant to be helpful but for me is only annoying 99% of the time. If you're reading an earlier page of a thread, new posts will appear at the end of that page even though they don't belong there, which messes up the order of posts. I never want to read post #356 until I'm actually at that point in the thread. It also causes the page to jump up and down (at least on Android), making you lose your place.

I want the option to turn this feature off, or at least make it so that this only happens if you're actually on the last page of a thread where these new posts SHOULD appear (this is the logical way for this to work IMO).

This happened to me when I was gold and it was terrible. Not only bothers the reading but also makes writting a post really annoying.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
100% agree. I'm paying for Gold and didn't realize THIS was the reason my page keeps jumping/scrolling around when I'm in the middle of reading a post.

Also, I tend to read threads in order, and its very confusing to see new posts mixed into the page 10 of 20 of a thread
That I can see, it should only auto load if you are on the last page of a thread. Or if the thread is live, like an event.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Even in "live" threads I don't want new posts popping up on the wrong page if I'm reading through the thread to catch up. When I want to read the newest posts I will go to the last page.
we are in agreement.

Shake Agree GIF by Envy
Video Game Agree GIF by Guerrilla
Handshake Bros GIF

I support GAF gold more for the site and community over included features etc. I understand wanting to enhance features, but I have to agree for mobile only I'd like to toggle off the auto-loading too. Desktop I enjoy it, mobile I don't like it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I found it annoying at first but I've gotten used to it. I want a gold-only poop emoji. That would be fun.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Let me unhighlight gilded threads and posts. It looks really ugly and can be distracting.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.

This is also something of a browser issue. Stop and refresh used to be separate buttons. You could hit stop to end a page's connection to the site, which would stop things like the page updates GAF gold has. Now you'd have to click refresh and hope that you could click stop before your computer connected to the server, which is usually possible, but if you have a sluggish device or are trying to use a touch screen under less than optimal conditions can be tricky.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
I found it annoying at first but I've gotten used to it. I want a gold-only poop emoji. That would be fun.
Should put the laugh and emotion emoji’s behind gold, that should drive more gold members up, that or people stop trolling… probably more, the more gold thing.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Sooo no chance of anything being done about this then? I understand it wouldn't happen overnight, but some kind of acknowledgement that our concerns have been heard would be nice.

Jayjayhd34

Sooo no chance of anything being done about this then? I understand it wouldn't happen overnight, but some kind of acknowledgement that our concerns have been heard would be nice.
Theads literally got 34 post can't see them changing anything for such small amount complaints.

As gold user I can't see issue really like the way it is.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Theads literally got 34 post can't see them changing anything for such small amount complaints.

As gold user I can't see issue really like the way it is.

Sure. It just seems kinda bizarre that the only way to get rid of this feature is to unsubscribe and stop supporting GAF financially (I'm pretty sure the ad revenue per free user is a lot less than what Gold brings in). It seems like it SHOULD be easy to just make it an option, since it's already something that's enabled for certain users and not others.

I'm glad you're not annoyed by reading threads out of order, but I certainly am.

Last edited:
Did anybody get a resolution on this? Some spicy threads lately, and I'm tired of my screen changing position as I'm halfway through reading someone's older comment and losing my place.

Really poor user experience, especially considering I'm paying for the "privilege".

I can't go back to being a Blue. I just...I can't. It would bring great shame to the House of Tundys.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Did anybody get a resolution on this? Some spicy threads lately, and I'm tired of my screen changing position as I'm halfway through reading someone's older comment and losing my place.

Really poor user experience, especially considering I'm paying for the "privilege".

I can't go back to being a Blue. I just...I can't. It would bring great shame to the House of Tundys.

Nope. Possibly it would be fixable with some user script, but I don't think that's doable on mobile, which is where I do 99% of my GAF browsing.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I bet you could probably use the dev tools in your browser to kill whatever script is responsible. I am too lazy to go hunting for it.

Even in "live" threads I don't want new posts popping up on the wrong page if I'm reading through the thread to catch up. When I want to read the newest posts I will go to the last page.
I like this idea for LIVE threads kinda like a stream, but when i think about this feature what happens when theres too many people posting in a thread (if gaf attains those type of numbers again) the autoupdate is just going to be publishing super fast and make it impossible to read the page?

Top Bottom