• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 46: Something old, something new

Status
Not open for further replies.
First: SnakeXs - Great take on the theme, well executed. I love the individual distortiions in each panel, with all the wealth of distorted detail. Your pic is over 800 pixels, though. :p

Runner Up: el jacko - This was my favorite until SnakeXs posted.

HM's:
Tf53 - Really nice shot, the warm tones and her hint of a smile give a pleasant feeling....I just wouldn't get the theme if you hadn't explained.

AirBrian - I like this a lot but I don't get the theme so much.

aidan - Same thing, but I really like the lighting and vibrancy here.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
1) Nitewulf: Feels almost as though there's fluid progression from a flower full of life and its road to a withered flower. The composition is fantastic too

2) SnakeXs: Color is fantastic, great take on the theme

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
First - Lucky Forward: I love how huge, powerful and dominant the new camera looks. I was going to do something similar with an old junky cellphone and an iPhone. Great job at crafting a nice photo that sticks close to the theme.

Second - nitewulf: This was also one of the ideas I had for the theme, but once I saw your shot, I knew I wouldn't be able to outdo it. Perfect.

HMs:

SnakeXs - I seem to be the only one who's not absolutely in love with this photo. I wish you had cropped the top a bit more and removed the third building. Otherwise great execution.

Tf53

Winner: SnakeXs - I love how the picture subtly incorporates the theme.

Runner-up: Papi - love the idea, and something about the picture just resonates with me. Maybe it's the ghetto blaster.

HMs:
Lucky Forward - something about the crop bothers me, but I can't put my finger on it.
el jacko - Lovely lighting and colors.
AirBrian - Don't see the connection to the theme, but I like the pic a lot. It does seem just a tad overexposed to me.

nitewulf

god damn it!!! snakex takes it!!!

:lol

and you wouldn't believe how hard i had to work to take my shot!! i was holding the tub with my hand, which was hanging by a hook, to get the perfect angle...it was an overcast day so the shutter speed was low...and to top it off...i was drunk and flailing around!!!

:lol

in case it wasn't clear...

snakex - utterly brilliant

AirBrian

First Choice: SnakeXs

Runner-Up: Lucky Forward

Tf53 said:
AirBrian - Don't see the connection to the theme, but I like the pic a lot. It does seem just a tad overexposed to me.
Lucky Forward said:
AirBrian - I like this a lot but I don't get the theme so much.

The bridge between the Old Testament and the New Testament? The bridge between your old self and your new, "saved" self?

First Choice: el jacko - Just an excellent juxtaposition between old and new.

Runner Up: Papi - The technique might not be as quite up there as some of the other entries, but I love how the old and new are working together.

Honorable Mentions:
SnakeXs - I think a tighter crop would've helped, but seriously, the only reason I'm not voting for you is because you've obviously, and justifiably, already won. I just spreading the points around a bit.

Lucky Forward - I might've rated this higher if there hadn't already been two or three shots very similar in theme, even though your execution here is superb.

Tf53

AirBrian said:
The bridge between the Old Testament and the New Testament? The bridge between your old self and your new, "saved" self?
It makes sense now. Damn, I used to work on these confimation-of-faith camps, so I should've figured it out, right? :lol

Oh well, goes to show how me and religion have gone our separate ways.

51 SnakeXs
13 Lucky Forward
12 el jacko
6 Papi
4 nitewulf
3 Tf53
1 aidan
1 AirBrian
1 BlueTsunami
1 Wes
0 Flek
0 guess
0 McSpidey
0 OnkelC
0 sp0rsk
0 Squirrel Killer
0 -xBerserker-
0 Xun

The Top Three:
SnakeXs
dsc_7622ppd_3205d00.jpg

Lucky Forward
RSZ_1389ps.jpg

el jacko
2724966606_fdded9f282_o.jpg

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 38
Entries: 18
Votes: 24
Vote Distribution: 56% (10 of 18)
New Participants: Papi, Wes
Ironmen: aidan, AirBrian, and Squirrel Killer

Random trivia:
- The full saying is, "Something old, something new/Something borrowed, something blue/And a silver sixpence in her shoe."

Congratulations, SnakeXs on your first win!

Also, updated FAQ here.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
:D

Thanks guys. All the compliments are really appreciated. Makes me feel all warm n' fuzzy on the inside.

I'll try and get the new theme up tomorrow, in for 2 weekends of shot time. Pondering a few in my head, but don't wanna alienate or possibly make it harder for certain people. I'll decide and post it up ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom