• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography 2008: Assignment Thread 49: Sell a Product to the Masses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrkgoo

First choice: Lucky Forward. I'm sure composition could be more dynamic, but the idea and execution itself deserves praise.

Runnerup: forsete. I love product shots like this, no matter how simple. There's a reasons people use them so often when showing off a product - there's no muss, no fuss, just the product. My only gripe is that there's a slight blue tinge of lighting on the corners. I'm guessing a white balance of indoor lighting was used, and that slight blue was from some reflected daylight?

Well done guys.

Scientificninja: I'm not sold anything here ..:p
nitewulf: the bottle on the right is just ever so slightly out of focus for me.
Squirrel Killer: That shots looks a little dark to me.
guess/warm machine: Honourable mentions from me!
devil trigger: Just a bit soft.
OnkelC: You know, out of all the entries, I think this one sold me the most.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
I like the hazey look of Devil Triggers and it reminds of me 1978 neighborhoods so I am going with that for #1 even though I am probably going to be in the minority for this but I can imagine this being an advertisement for a Swedish fasion magazine. Nitewulf's looks the most like a real advertisement in mainstream men's magazines and it is a strong pic too with an intensity even though I think I see some cabinets in the background so I will have that at #2.

First: nitewulf Lovely product photography. It's tasteful, playful, warm... clearly says "Drink me".
Runner Up: cloudwalkingI like what this image illustrates about the sales/consumer process, plus it's a nice b&w.

Comments:
Papi - Haha (I see what you did there)
Jirotrom - nice DOF, but the brake doesn't really pop out enough for me.
xBerserkerx - cute. not sure if it's selling a product or an idea or something, though.
guess - lovely DOF, perfect for use as one of those lifestyle product catalogues.
Lucky Forward - this is the most exciting pic I've seen you post by far. I'm still not sure what it's meant to be... I'm guessing Firefox.... the problem for me is a thematic one. Is this a photo about people selling stuff to other people? A product shot? Random brand worship? For me this was brand worship, and this is where I've had difficulty with most entries; and likewise the reason my entry probably seems unusual to others.
Forsete - textbook product image. well done!
OnkelC - it was a close one between this and cloudwalking. I like the ballsy "That's not a knife, THIS is a knife" salesmanship you've put behind your endorsement of the humble German hamburger.

mrkgoo said:
Scientificninja: I'm not sold anything here ..:p
I decided not to do any product shots to communicate "This is a cool product and I want you to buy it"; the shot I took is more an illustration of the kind of response you could get from a salesperson who is challenged to "Sell something to the masses". To be honest I've still got no idea what's being sold - I just like the fact that whoever put it there is obviously trying to get attention and communicate something and, whatever it is, it looks rather absurd.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've never voted in one of these before, but some of the pictures were too good not to. :)

1. nitewulf
2. Devil Trigger

AlternativeUlster and I apparently have pretty similar tastes, because upon looking the photos over for the first time my thoughts were very close to what he posted.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Cosmic Bus said:
I've never voted in one of these before, but some of the pictures were too good not to. :)

1. nitewulf
2. Devil Trigger

AlternativeUlster and I apparently have pretty similar tastes, because upon looking the photos over for the first time my thoughts were very close to what he posted.

That's awesome good sir. This is my first time voting in it too. Weirdo land.

nitewulf

1) guess
2) xberserkerx

edit: i have one feedback which i hope will be useful.

papi - its an excellent idea, but the technical aspects let you down here. the arched window distracts. the exposure is faded, and a bit over exposed. i would have tried another angle with a less distracting background, and underexposed. mary is painted white, so if you meter off of her, it'll be exposed properly...as it is, its probably exposed for the background or matrix. or i'd have zoomed in on her from fairly close, blurring the background, open aperture for a soft feel...i mean i dont know, as it is, unless one puts it in context...they photo isnt noticeable.

Papi

Thanks for the tips. I'm still very much a noob at this thing.
I wanted to include the cross in the window to be less subtle about the idea of selling religion to the masses.
I actually wanted to capture a priest giving a sermon but instead I ended up getting drunk, etc. on the weekend.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just Czeching in from Prague to cast my votes! Good job everyone.

First - Nitewulf
Second - Lucky Forward

29 Lucky Forward
28 nitewulf
7 guess
4 ~Devil Trigger~
4 Forsete
2 cloudwalking
1 Warm Machine
1 -xBerserker-
0 AlteredBeast
0 Jirotrom
0 OnkelC
0 Papi
0 ScientificNinja
0 Squirrel Killer

The Top Three:
Lucky Forward
RSZ_2411ps.jpg

nitewulf
IMG_5798.jpg

guess
ike937.jpg

Qwik stats:
Winning Margin: 1
Entries: 14
Votes: 19
Vote Distribution: 57% (8 of 14)
New Participants: Warm Machine
Ironmen: Squirrel Killer

Random trivia:
- All of the candidates whose signs were in my entry lost.

Congratulations, Lucky Forward on your fourth win, moving you into a tie with AirBrian for the second most wins!

NeoGAF Photo Assignment Threads FAQ

Firefox picture is epic...

Thought you guys might be able to appreciate this, it's not my photo, don't even think its real (shopped maybe), but apparently people are thinking about mass producing it...

zoomlensmug.jpg

Wow, what a close one! Congrats to nitewulf and guess, I think both of your shots are technically better than mine, I was just crazily inspired on this one. :)

Thai said:
I just forwarded the image to one of my friends who's a developer at Mozilla.
Ha ha, that's great!

Cyan said:
Lucky Forward - how the hell did you set that up?
I had a dented globe to sacrifice, along with a fox dog toy from PetsMart. The fox was held on with carefully hidden drywall screws and duct tape. The dog toy actually had back legs but no front legs, so I cut off the back one and transplanted it to the front.

I hung the globe in my outdoor concrete basement entrance at night with coat hanger wire (which was cloned out in PP), set up my camera on a tripod, and then used a spray bottle to spritz camp stove fuel down the fox's back and tail. With the remote release in one hand and a lighter in the other, I touched off the conflagration and started clicking away.

I had a fire extinguisher right beside me the whole time, but I was able to put out the fire just by wrapping a sopping wet towel around the whole thing when I was done.

mrkgoo said:
I'm sure composition could be more dynamic...
Agreed, but since I only had one shot at this I decided to go with a straightforward reproduction of the logo, I wanted to make sure it was instantly recognizable.

ScientificNinja said:
the problem for me is a thematic one. Is this a photo about people selling stuff to other people? A product shot? Random brand worship?
Always-honest said:
...GREAT idea, but i think it wasn't the best for this theme imo (a.k.a it wouldn't make me buy/ want Firefox more).
I guess you could call it random brand worship, but it was more a case of having an idea pop into my head and wanting to make it real. To be honest, I really didn't think about the "selling" aspect too much.

Thanks everyone, I'll have your new assignment up soon!

edit: It looks like we lost two of our Ironmen, aidan and AirBrian. Congratulations for having a heck of a run, guys! You're the man now, SK!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
congratulations Lucky Forward! truly an amazing photo that deserved all the votes it got.

and good job to all the participants, this one was really fun guys :)

mrkgoo

Squirrel Killer said:
Congratulations, Lucky Forward on your fourth win, moving you into a tie with AirBrian for the second most wins!

Congrats Lucky!

Squirrel: Do you still keep a crazy spreadsheet of all the results thus far? Sorry, I really haven't been keeping up with this stuff.

Lucky Forward said:
They submitted entries for every assignment to date without missing one until now.
This is correct. And for the record, since it's just down to one person, and probably not of much interest anymore, I intend to stop tracking it now. Hopefully to be replaced by some other longevity-related stats.

mrkgoo said:
Squirrel: Do you still keep a crazy spreadsheet of all the results thus far? Sorry, I really haven't been keeping up with this stuff.
I started off keeping everything in an Excel spreadsheet, but that got unwieldy. Since about assignment 39, I've been doing it in an Access database, slowly adding past assignments to build a complete archive in Access. This makes most of the results a simple cut and paste job. If I ever abandon doing the stats, I'll offer the database to a good home. Like a puppy.

mrkgoo

Squirrel Killer said:
I started off keeping everything in an Excel spreadsheet, but that got unwieldy. Since about assignment 39, I've been doing it in an Access database, slowly adding past assignments to build a complete archive in Access. This makes most of the results a simple cut and paste job. If I ever abandon doing the stats, I'll offer the database to a good home. Like a puppy.

A fine job you've been doing.

Papi

Congrats, Lucky Forward. Your submission still blows my mind.
I'm going to light things on fire for the next assignment... :lol

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Congratulations Lucky!
And thanks to Squirrel Killer for the stats, it's always a pleasure on its own to read them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom