• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF plays...31 Nights of Horror...4

Teknoman

QgfodWU.jpg

In your restless dreams, you see this thread...It's ridiculous, couldn't possibly be true...What the hell is it? It's not human... its the fourth annual GAF plays 31 nights of horror thread!

October is usually the month where all things horror, creepy, or just all around halloween themed are focused on, from movies to books, so why not games? Now is the time to give those horror tinged games that have been silently rotting away in your backlog a shot, recommend others, revisit ancient ones, or spend some time focused on that new game you just picked up.

Although it isnt set in stone, the main challenge of this thread is to play through as many games that fit the theme as possible before the month ends. As you go, posting experiences, thoughts, images, etc. are definitely encouraged.

The games i'm planning on going with so far are:

pA2PPE6.jpg

I havent played RE2 in a very long time, but a couple of days ago something occured to me - i've never played the Claire A and Leon B scenario. Looking at how that is actually the canon scenario, figured what better time to dive in. Truly is a different experience, the types of weapons you get right from the start already encourage a different play style.

j3JHDwJ.jpg

Beaten Bloodlines before, but I want to do an Eric Lecarde run since i've never played with him...especially before I move on to Symphony of the Night, Legacy of Darkness, etc. I'm sure there arent any story changes, but the gameplay surely promises to be different. That and Genesis could always use more love in general.

LkiHNpV.jpg

Well i've played a Splatterhouse game every year thus far, why not seal the deal with the last good game in the series? Granted its not as gory and action packed as the first 3, its definitely Halloweeny(?).

I'd really like to get around to these as well, time permitting:

The Off topic Limits:

NeoGAF 31 Days of Horror 6: Movie Marathon

Visions of fear:

Dusk Golem's streams ------ Dusk Golem's playthrough playlist

Shitstorm V: Shitsurrection (TheSw1tcher / Best friends play)

Teknoman's Brave or Grave playthrough playlist

Blazehedgehog's Dare to Scare playlist

Sounds from another realm:

Retronauts Micro 024: Spooky Save Room Mixtape

Retronauts Episode 65: Resident Evil

Back in my Play Episode 80: Super Castlevania IV

**EMERGENCY ALERT SYSTEM**

Sony Authorities have issued a free PSplus download of Resident Evil REmaster HD for the following consoles until further notice: PS4. Owners of this console who subscribe to Playstation Plus should download immediately.Please do not await further instructions.

*Special thanks to D.Lo for the thread banner and IrishNinja for getting the ball rolling on the first thread.*

Teknoman

I think last year, most people were wrapped into Alien: Isolation. I still havent gone back to The Evil Within...i'll probably have to start that one over. And then there is that Cthulu game for Xbox OG.

Fallen92

Gonna do a run of RE:REmaster (thanks sony!) and then play through Silent Hill 2 again. Other games in the running are Dead Space 2, Castlevania (either Rondo of Blood or Symphony) and Condemned.

dlauv

For a trilogy stream. Hail to the King was a 3 hour RE clone that was easy and janky as hell, but fun enough and the story was enjoyable. Boomstick is so incredibly boring. It's like a crappy musou in empty, drab environments with dull objectives ("Close all XXXX," "Find a watch," etc.).

I'm excited for Regeneration tho. I hear that it's pretty good and it's one of the few Xbox games that runs at 720p.

I'm starting Silent Hill 2 Saturday night. Clock Tower SNES after I finish and Yomawari whenever it's delivered.
Maybe Corpse Party if I have time. I have a huge backlog; maybe ZTD will fill in the gaps.

My goal for this Halloween is to have my wife play through Until Dawn. I would love to get her adrenaline pumping. Maybe one Saturday the in-laws can take the baby and we can sit down with some Shiner and play.

BTails

Subbed! My third GAF Plays... 31 nights of horror. In previous years I've played Fatal Frame 2, Super Castlevania IV, Friday the 13th, Castlevania Bloodlines, and many more.

This year, I'll be continue my Resident Evil series playthrough: I'm almost through Code Veronica, and hope to get RE0 HD played as well in October.

I've got a brand new RGB-Modded AV Famicom, so I plan on playing some NES games too, mainly Sweet Home, and A Nightmare on Elm St.

If, somehow, I get through all of that, I might start the Alone in the Dark series on DOS.

Oh, and for the third year in a row, I'll be pairing each and every game with a Pumpkin Beer. Bring it on.

Great thread, subbed. No idea what's on my list yet but I'll check back in. Would be great to whittle away at my backlog on some games that fit the theme....

Teknoman

For a trilogy stream. Hail to the King was a 3 hour RE clone that was easy and janky as hell, but fun enough and the story was enjoyable. Boomstick is so incredibly boring. It's like a crappy musou in empty, drab environments with dull objectives ("Close all XXXX," "Find a watch," etc.).

I'm excited for Regeneration tho. I hear that it's pretty good and it's one of the few Xbox games that runs at 720p.

Wasnt there a Dreamcast version of the first one? Always been interested but never tried it. Evil Dead franchise would make an awesome character action series though...
Post when you're doing the stream though.

One thing i'll say about Atari games, the box arts are always trippy as hell.

I'm playing Alien: Isolation right now. After that, I'm thinking of maybe playing Silent Hill 4 and the F.E.A.R expansion packs.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a pretty massive playlist this year and will be streaming through it, I am focusing on indie horrors and games from post 2007 this year, and some bigger games from that time period I haven't played yet. There's a lot I won't be able to do, but should get a pretty sizable chunk done.

Will be streaming here when I begin on October 1st (this Saturday), trying to stream 2-4 days a week during October: http://www.hitbox.tv/AestheticGamer

Here's a list of planned games in alphabetical order, though I may add a few that release during this time span as well, though a few of these I have partial completion on (like I'm currently halfway through Metro 2033 already):

35MM
Amigdala
Among the Sleep: Prologue
Angels That Kill
Apartment 666
Arctic Alive
Blackbay Asylum
Black Dreams
Bulb Boy
The Bunker
Busloop
CASE: Animatronics
The Cat Lady
Chasing Dead
Cry of Fear
CURSE
Dead End Road
Doorways (Whole Series; Prelude, Underworld, & Holy Mountains of Flesh)
Enola
Everybody's Gone To Rapture
Euclidean
Existentia
Father's Island
Final Take
Hektor
Her Story
The House That Hell Built
Ian's Eyes
I Can't Escape Darkness
Into The Gloom
Investigator
Joana's Life
Kidnapped
The Last Door: Seasons 1 & 2
Layers of Fear: Inheritance
Lethe: Episode 1
Little Red and Professor Wolf
Locked-In Syndrome
Malebolgia
Metro 2033
Mistfal
Narcosis
Near Death
Nightfall Escape
Oxenfree
Pesadelo - Regressão
Phantaruk
Pony Island
Reveal the Deep
Room 404
Sound of Drop -Fall Into Poison-
Spirits of Xanadu
Stowaway
Strange Night
Syndrome
Through the Woods
Twisty's Asylum Escapades
Vernon's Legacy
We Know The Devil
Yomawari: Night Alone
You Deserve

It looks a lot longer than it is as many of these games are only a few hours long, my goal is less though to complete every game and see how many I complete in the nights I stream. Should be an interesting ride.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is great timing since I just started some Resident Evil this week. Going to try and beat it will Jill, and then doing Chris either in the original or in Directors Cut, guess we will see. But definitely joining this!

DemonNite

Big fan of horror games but sadly won't have much time to play any (as I make my own horror games in my spare time).
Would be happy to drop a few steam codes here if anyone is interested.

I will be following this thread with great interest :)

ron_bato

Oh boy, I don't actually have too much time to play this year but I'm hoping i can at least get through the following games:

1. REmake
2. Until Dawn (second playthrough)
3. Soma

Teknoman

Big fan of horror games but sadly won't have much time to play any (as I make my own horror games in my spare time).

I dont think anyone would be opposed to that :p

Lord Phol

I'm actually a big scaredy cat but I love horror so I'll probably join in on this!

Currently playing Alien Isolation with my GF and I'm going to give Until Dawn a try. Might do some replays of REmake, RE5 and Evil Within. Haven't played Soma yet either so that's a good candidate. Going to do some research and return back with a list.

(WoW: Legion is going to to hold me back a bit though).

I'll be playing through Ghouls n Ghosts a few times in the next month, time willing I also hope to get to Sweet Home as well (which I'm really looking forward to as I've never played it, only read a lot about it). I've got the PS4 ports of RE4, Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2 coming as well so I'll no doubt get round to playing at least a couple of those.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

I'm actually making my own little Halloween project during October, but I have most of October free (but a loaded December upcoming), so taking advantage of it to try to do both (let's see and that fairs).

I am probably am familiar with the game, what games have you worked on?

DemonNite

I'm actually making my own little Halloween project during October, but I have most of October free (but a loaded December upcoming), so taking advantage of it to try to do both (let's see and that fairs).

I am probably am familiar with the game, what games have you worked on?

I made a game called Dungeon Nightmares, the sequel which is on Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/382090

Right now working on a VR project and just received my Vive so lots to experiment!

I did start Until Dawn but it was late at night and the slow pacing at the start didn't grab me as I hoped :) I will probably revisit it if I get a moment.

I dont think anyone would be opposed to that :p

Ok heres a few Steam codes to get started if anyone wants to try my small game for October called Dungeon Nightmares II : The Memory :)

1. 2FXEB-MW80X-LEEQE
  2. QCE6L-B5RFH-FPM4Q
  3. 2MN7E-66M8L-BT0X4
  4. LJWKT-D8FVH-XVV6B
  5. 98L5C-Q7H47-9J2VI
  6. 8IJ0V-IPJQ0-M0K4P
  7. J84R3-799E6-HQB68
  8. FPC06-RIGJF-MNFFD
  9. YRLYE-HXC62-H26HH
  10. 8G9BI-THBFF-HCXWP

Teknoman

If the trailers for DN 2 are any indication, I dont think I could take your game in VR lol.

EDIT: Hmm...I always remembered Chief Irons actually transforming into a monster, not those G bodies or whatever taking his DNA and transforming themselves.

IrishNinja

best logo yet, tekno!

also many excellent picks in the OP - i'm thinking SNES clock tower, REmake & a few others for me this year, but splatterhouse wakku & several of those might make the list!

Syncytia

I think I'm going to be a bit too busy this month. But this is relevant to several of the games on my current to play list anyway.

Replay:
Condemned
Dead Space

First time:
Alien: Isolation
Outlast
Ok, I played 10 minutes once but then noped the F out
Dead Space 2

WITHE1982

Nice! Love the artwork.

I'll be playing through

Silent hill 1-4 (on original consoles)
Layers of Fear plus inheritance DLC
Project Zero (Fatal Frame)
and I may finally finish Alien Isolation if I can manage to play for more than an hour without giving up through sheer terror.

On another note I love X-Files: Resist or Serve. Think I'll try and pick up a copy from Ebay.

DemonNite

If the trailers for DN 2 are any indication, I dont think I could take your game in VR lol.

EDIT: Hmm...I always remembered Chief Irons actually transforming into a monster, not those G bodies or whatever taking his DNA and transforming themselves.

Hope you give it a go, DN2 is not in VR so its safe ;)

Ok heres a few Steam codes to get started if anyone wants to try my small game for October called Dungeon Nightmares II : The Memory :)

1. 2FXEB-MW80X-LEEQE
  2. QCE6L-B5RFH-FPM4Q
  3. 2MN7E-66M8L-BT0X4
  4. LJWKT-D8FVH-XVV6B
  5. 98L5C-Q7H47-9J2VI
  6. 8IJ0V-IPJQ0-M0K4P
  7. J84R3-799E6-HQB68
  8. FPC06-RIGJF-MNFFD
  9. YRLYE-HXC62-H26HH
  10. 8G9BI-THBFF-HCXWP
I'll definitely give it a play. Thanks.

Are there any really good point and click / adventure horror games (doesn't necessarily have to be point and click but something in the vein) Preferably something availabe on PS4/Vita/Mac.

hampig

Are there any really good point and click / adventure horror games (doesn't necessarily have to be point and click but something in the vein) Preferably something availabe on PS4/Vita/Mac.

Bulb Boy and Fran Bow are good. Stray Cat Crossing is a little less p/c, but similar ideas and it's well done.

MattyH

Got evil within and costume quest 2 on my xbox one waiting to be played and il probably play some resi

Se_7_eN

I made a game called Dungeon Nightmares, the sequel which is on Steam

I actually have your game in my wishlist! I will give you money... Someday.

Stasis and Decay: The Mare are both point and click survival horror / adventure games available on Mac, they are supposed to be pretty good.

T-Matt

I'll finally play Dead Space for sure. I'll also try to tackle Evil Within and Alien Isolation. I'll most likely play Resident Evil 4 as I think my wife will enjoy watching that one sometimes. Finally, I'll bust out the ps2 for Silent Hill 2.

kunonabi

I have to study for the JLPT so I'm not sure how many games I can really get done.

Still my list looks like:

1st Time
[Wii]Ju-On: The Grudge
[Wii]Escape from Bug Island
[3DS]Corpse Party
[WiiU]Zero: Nuregarasu no Miko
[PS4]Alien: Isolation

Replays
[PS4]Resident Evil 0
[PS2]Silent Hill 3

dlauv

I had to skip Fistful of Boomstick about half-way in. Its constant pixel hunting and monotony were just too much.

Regeneration is already a whole lot better, and it looks great on the OG Xbox through component at 16:9 and 720p. Feels like it would have been a very competent rental for the era although derivative of Devil May Cry and a little shallow and janky. Interestingly, it picks up after Evil Dead 2 with the events of Army of Darkness never occurring.

Teknoman

Bloodlines is feels alot faster paced playing with Eric. The super jump already is letting me take shortcuts or even places I had no idea existed in the game. The spin spear move seems a little useless though?

Tower of Piza still makes me dizzy x_x

BTails

Night 1 - I played a couple more hours of Resident Evil Code Veronica (HD version on PS3).

relsNjU.jpg

I've been going through all of the RE games in chronological order these past few months, and man, this one is DEFINITELY dragging a lot more than previous games. The amount of backtracking is unreal!

It is nice having Wesker back, and the villain twins are enjoyable. But the monsters have been pretty lackluster, and going back and forth over and over through the same areas TWICE (once as Claire, then again as Chris) is mindnumbing.

No Pumpkin Beer tonight, as I'm fighting off a cold. Might have one tomorrow with a more retro game, we'll see...

I've been saving a few games I've never played to hit this Halloween.

I plan on playing:

Resident Evil Remake
The Evil Within
Until Dawn

Really looking forward to hitting these three up, will probably start REmake tonight. I also need to beat Grabbed by the Ghoulies, I never finished it when I started last year...

dlauv

Code: Veronica gave me headache on PS2 by the end of it the first time I played it. It felt like the death knell for the franchise and it got worse with RE0. Cram some vitamin C for the cold and cheers to the pumpkin beer.

Just played through Maria's episode in Silent Hill 2. Not sure why it exists.

BTails

Code: Veronica gave me headache on PS2 by the end of it the first time I played it. It felt like the death knell for the franchise and it got worse with RE0. Cram some vitamin C for the cold and cheers to the pumpkin beer.

Just played through Maria's episode in Silent Hill 2. Not sure why it exists.

Yup. When I said Chronological order, I meant release order. RE0 HD is next in my playthrough.

I never played Maria's episode in SH2... Suprising, as it's one of my favourite games of all time. Glad to hear I'm not missing much.

Top Bottom