• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Plays: SimCity 4 (with mods)

DigitalAdhesive

Neo Member
Have you thought about doing an LP of this on YouTube or some other video site? Call me crazy but I think I'd really enjoy watching you slowly plod along and make a sprawling cityscape from a humble farming start.

Facism

i can't download the region. Sticks at about 2%

[edit]Ah i see you just reupped it, no wonder. Downloading like a champ now

InertiaXr

Have you thought about doing an LP of this on YouTube or some other video site? Call me crazy but I think I'd really enjoy watching you slowly plod along and make a sprawling cityscape from a humble farming start.

Same. Watching low key streams like this while playing something else is enjoyable.

DaBuddaDa

- Add -CustomResolution:enabled -r1600x900x32 to shortcut to play at any resolution you want (1600x900 is just example)

I want to add that the following, additional settings have worked wonders for me in Win 7 with a quad core i5:

-intro:eek:ff
-CPUCount:2
-CPUpriority:high

A while ago I remember reading dual core processors did not have the same crashing problems as quad core, so you don't have to set your CPU Count to 1. 2 will work too. Not sure if it makes any difference.

I'm having an issue playing through the rush hour tutorial. Whenever it asks me to connect an elevated rail to the station it won't connect and is just red. I seem to not be the only one with this issue after some mild googling.

OP's city is highly impressive. Trees really make a difference.

Does connecting cities together really make a difference?

I'll do a new city with the advises in OP and will post it later.

So somehow my .exe became corrupt and my "set launch options" no longer works. I have ensured that no other .exe exists and I even deleted my existing .exe and redownloaded it. Do I have to restart my computer or something? Is there cache that I need to clear? How do I make steam recognize my settings?

KPJZKC

One of the mods is causing me almost constant "unsuitable grade for construction" popups. Can't connect elevated rails, highways, etc. Will try to figure out which one it is.

edit - it's the Network Addon Mod. Will just remove it and play with the others.

Perkel

Banned
One of the mods is causing me almost constant "unsuitable grade for construction" popups. Can't connect elevated rails, highways, etc. Will try to figure out which one it is.

edit - it's the Network Addon Mod. Will just remove it and play with the others.

I'm having an issue playing through the rush hour tutorial. Whenever it asks me to connect an elevated rail to the station it won't connect and is just red. I seem to not be the only one with this issue after some mild googling.

It is intentional. My plugin pack contain mod which levels ground so there won't be anymore those weird ups and downs in your city. On downside it also sometimes prevent you from building step roads.

Use terraforming with CTRL and SHIFT.

So before you build city somewhere try to flatten or soften ground first. Just do what people do when they are building (flatten ground or make it smooth)

Son1x

I decided to download all the plugins from scratch again. It was a bid mistake, Simtropolis is such a terrible site, its been running so slowly for years now. Hopefully I'll be able to download enough plugins to actualy start playing. I've also set up the resolution and windowed mode, so I'll stream when I start playing.

Perkel

Banned
I decided to download all the plugins from scratch again. It was a bid mistake, Simtropolis is such a terrible site, its been running so slowly for years now. Hopefully I'll be able to download enough plugins to actualy start playing. I've also set up the resolution and windowed mode, so I'll stream when I start playing.

Well i prepared some essential plugins which are in OP.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Hmm, how big is the largest tile/map option in sim city 4?

4km X 4km is the largest city tile, and the one I build on most often. For reference to the new Simcity, you can build about 9 of the new game's cities in one of the largest Simcity 4 tiles.

Now, as for the largest region in Simcity 4, or how many of those largest tiles can you put in one region, I don't even know if there is a limit. I've made some pretty huge regions myself, and the one Perkel has in the OP is fairly big.

Son1x

Well i prepared some essential plugins which are in OP.

Thanks, but thats not enough for me. I used to have over 1GB of plugins on several occasions. I get bored really fast without a lot of plugins. Played too much of vanilla.

If anyone wants, I even still have an Asian and Dutch themed plugins (separate of course), but they're both around 800MB.

edit: I already downloaded dependencies and civil buildings, I just lack commercial and residental. I'll probably just combine one of my old plugins with this one.

Perkel

Banned
Hmm, how big is the largest tile/map option in sim city 4?

It supposed to be 4kmx4km. The thing is each region is connected with eachother to point where from setelite view you can't say that those cities are separate.

That map which i provided is gigantic and actual limit is not set as i am aware.

Personally i wish SimCity5 would completely erase borders. I mean we have now amazing streaming technology available so game like SimCity 4 as whole region instead of partitioned small maps should be possible. Sort of like Chris Sawyer Locomotion. Also transportation system and rail should be even deeper like Locomotion.

That was the dream mine as of fan of SC.

In other news small village which i just created :

ibn0OxMfyQEYTZ.jpg

bonus shot:

I don't mean to derail this thread, but which game is better SC4 or Topico4?
I actually just bought Tropico 4 off steam yesterday, the 10 dollar collector edition, haven't played it yet but in some ways I've always liked tropico more, I find it a bit more fun, I'll probably end up playing some tonight.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
4km X 4km is the largest city tile, and the one I build on most often. For reference to the new Simcity, you can build about 9 of the new game's cities in one of the largest Simcity 4 tiles.

Now, as for the largest region in Simcity 4, or how many of those largest tiles can you put in one region, I don't even know if there is a limit. I've made some pretty huge regions myself, and the one Perkel has in the OP is fairly big.

It supposed to be 4kmx4km. The thing is each region is connected with eachother to point where from setelite view you can't say that those cities are separate.

That map which i provided is gigantic and actual limit is not set as i am aware.

Personally i wish SimCity5 would completely erase borders. I mean we have now amazing streaming technology available so game like SimCity 4 as whole region instead of partitioned small maps should be possible. Sort of like Chris Sawyer Locomotion. Also transportation system and rail should be even deeper like Locomotion.

That was the dream mine as of fan of SC.

In other news small village which i just created :

bonus shot:

Thanks for the insight. All this SC hooha has made me itch for some good ol' fashioned city building without all the... well you know. Gonna snag a copy of SC4 on steam when the time is right.

deadlast

I actually just bought Tropico 4 off steam yesterday, the 10 dollar collector edition, haven't played it yet but in some ways I've always liked tropico more, I find it a bit more fun, I'll probably end up playing some tonight.

That is why I was asking, the steam sale caught my interest.

Mengy

Thanks for the insight. All this SC hooha has made me itch for some good ol' fashioned city building without all the... well you know. Gonna snag a copy of SC4 on steam when the time is right.

Simcity 4 Deluxe was $5 at the last Steam sale. It's $19.99 now, but I'd bet you could find the deluxe version for cheaper today if you looked hard enough.

Perkel

Banned
Simcity 4 Deluxe was $5 at the last Steam sale. It's $19.99 now, but I'd bet you could find the deluxe version for cheaper today if you looked hard enough.

19.99$ for SimCity 4 is steal. Amount of fun to hour ratio is amazing.

I lost like 6 months of my life to SC4 + mods a few years back. Seeing these screenshots is giving me the itch. It's also bumming me out that the new one will be nothing like this gem.

JoeBoy101

Question for Perkel, but can go to anyone else.

Trying to do the more organic building of a city, but the problem I get is power lines everywhere. How do I get those one block spaces between houses without power lines mucking up the visual?

Mengy

I had the exact same issue.

Well I'm glad I am not alone.

I haven't played the tutorial in over ten years, but it's very possible the mods just mess it up. If you want to play the tutorial I would just take all the mods out of the plugins directory while you do so, and then when you go to start a new region of your own put them back in.

The mods Perkel has in the OT really do add some very nice modest things to the game. Except for the NAM mod, IMHO that's a mandatory one as it fixes traffic up so that it works properly.

Perkel

Banned
Question for Perkel, but can go to anyone else.

Trying to do the more organic building of a city, but the problem I get is power lines everywhere. How do I get those one block spaces between houses without power lines mucking up the visual?

You don't need to build powerline even if you have 4 block hole. Powerlines are used only for long range powersupply.

I can't terraform in the tutorial so it looks like you can't complete the tutorial with these plugins unless I am doing something wrong.

I had the exact same issue.

With my mods playing tutorial won't do any good.
Seriously drop tutorial and play via trial and error SC4 is very easy game to get into.
just use "?" button on schools hospitals etc and adjust spending.

If you really want to play tutorial just cut plugins and put somewhere else and play it. When you are done just paste it again in SC4 folder,

My farms lay barren! How do I get farming to work?

Just wait. It will take a while.

Paches

Here is a picture of my residential/office area for my town:

I am definitely getting my SimCity fill before SC2:HotS comes out. I needed something bad to tide me over and this is doing the trick!

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Are there any mod packs that replace the built in building style sets (or large portions)? Getting back into it after a long time and I wouldn't mind something fresh, but cherrypicking from all of the custom buildings available online sounds like a massive PITA.

ruttyboy

After kicking myself for months for not buying SC4 in the last Steam sale this thread made me cave and buy it for £10, after playing for an hour with Perkel's mods I have ZERO regrets, so thankyou! :)

Owned the vanilla game many years ago but remember getting frustrated with funding, but after taking the advice not to min/max (I had to look that term up!) or build schools etc. I'm having great fun just experimenting with some tiny villages and all the new mod stuff which I've never had before.

Perkel, would you be kind enough to explain what all the mods in your selection are called with a short summary of each one? I've tried to work out what they are from the file names but can't find them all online.

Specifically, I'd like to know if your mods have a greater variety of ordinary non-plobbable buildings included over the Maxis produced ones?

Perkel

Banned
After kicking myself for months for not buying SC4 in the last Steam sale this thread made me cave and buy it for £10, after playing for an hour with Perkel's mods I have ZERO regrets, so thankyou! :)

Owned the vanilla game many years ago but remember getting frustrated with funding, but after taking the advice not to min/max (I had to look that term up!) or build schools etc. I'm having great fun just experimenting with some tiny villages and all the new mod stuff which I've never had before.

Perkel, would you be kind enough to explain what all the mods in your selection are called with a short summary of each one? I've tried to work out what they are from the file names but can't find them all online.

Specifically, I'd like to know if your mods have a greater variety of ordinary non-plobbable buildings included over the Maxis produced ones?

Only PEG has some plots. There is CAM in plugins but it's without plots. Most of plugins which i added to plugins pack are passive which means you don't need to do something to use that mod in game.

NAM - it's mod which changes how traffic works (in more realistic way) also it adds ton of roads, alleys, highway options. Crossings, different angle etc.

CAM - It's overhaul of town needs. It behave now in more realistic way and also it allows to build very very very big cities. It works with NAM.

SAM - It adds different pavements. Dirt, cobblestone etc to simple roads. (like on my screenshots)

PEG - Overhaul of farming. Different plots, more jobs per farm, more "levels" of farms so when you have intelligent people farms will be better (more advanced)

God mode in city play. Gives you god terraforming tools in normal play.

Slope mod - gives you option of building roads above or below certain level of ground. Deep highway looks cool.

And there are many mods which are just for looks like Euro roads, better night lighting etc.

ruttyboy

Thanks Perkel. During my own research I saw that one of the mods increased the number of 'growth levels' (from 1-8 to 1-15 I think) is that included in one of these? And if so, how would that work without additional buildings?

Perkel

Banned
Here is a picture of my residential/office area for my town:

I am definitely getting my SimCity fill before SC2:HotS comes out. I needed something bad to tide me over and this is doing the trick!

Tip:

- give city green spaces like parks. When you build high density zone try to build park near it.
- left side looks poor because you put road on hill. If you plat to do that try to terraform a little that building will have flat ground.
- try to build more suburb areas. Without them your center of city looks weird.

With those tips city will look a lot better.

Thanks Perkel. During my own research I saw that one of the mods increased the number of 'growth levels' (from 1-8 to 1-15 I think) is that included in one of these? And if so, how would that work without additional buildings?

It is standard CAM feature. If cam does not have new plots it will use old plots with changed limits. Mind you it is now harder to reach high density.

In vanilla you could build high density in small city. With CAM you actually need a city to build big buildings.

moojito

I always get jealous of these amazingly imaginitive layouts I see. I just have a plain old grid, or copy other people's designs.

I'm really disheartened that there isn't a SimCity 4 for Mac on Steam. I'm primarily a Mac guy at this point. I have a PC but it's in storage, don't even use it anymore. I don't want to have a PC connected for one game!

Does anyone have any experience running SimCity 4 in 'Windows Mode' on a Mac? What is it's performance like?

ruttyboy

It is standard CAM feature. If cam does not have new plots it will use old plots with changed limits. Mind you it is now harder to reach high density.

In vanilla you could build high density in small city. With CAM you actually need a city to build big buildings.

A-ha! Well in that case do you have any recommendations for 'plot packs' (I assume they come in packs)?

Perkel

Banned
A-ha! Well in that case do you have any recommendations for 'plot packs' (I assume they come in packs)?

Unfortunately they are not created in "packs". Once i tried to download and make pack but amount of work for each plot is simply to much. Each building needs other packs to work and it is very easy to miss some packs.

I wish for example to have 1x1 homes for lvl1 villages since there are no 1x1 homes for lvl1 in vanilla SC4 (which is weird). So far i found only like 1 home which also had to be placed with some other pack that had dead link.

It would be glorious to have some mod app for SC4 which would check for mods like nexus have or steam workshop.

Son1x

You can always use the good old alt+ctrl+shift and click on the God mode button and everything will be available. I believe you even get some stuff you don't with that mod.

Perkel

Banned
You can always use the good old alt+ctrl+shift and click on the God mode button and everything will be available. I believe you even get some stuff you don't with that mod.

It is annoying to press this combination every time. Same tools are with mod and that combination.

Son1x

It is annoying to press this combination every time. Same tools are with mod and that combination.

Are you sure? I remember not being able to raise/lower terrain. I think erosion as well. Maybe I just couldn't find it, but that was the reason I started using alt+ctrl+shift, now I'm kinda used to it.

Top Bottom