• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, recommend me some awesome documentaries to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
I'm in a very learnin mood lately, saw this one called the 'Elegent Universe'and I wanna see more cool stuff like it. Of course, you can definitely recommend something that's not related to Astrophysics. Though I'm mainly looking for stuff that's either of that sort or Philosphy, or History related.

Suggest away, please!

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
Werner Herzog's Wild Blue Yonder has some cool talk about astrophysics.

Never go into a Herzog film expecting your average, educational docu, though.

Mamesj

Banned
A State of Mind by Daniel Gordon. It's about the North Korean olympics and these girls who are training for it. Video footage is rarely allowed in N.K. and it's really an amazing look at the culture there. on second thought, this looks a bit off your mark...well, whatever, there's really nothing not to like about it and North Korean culture may as well be on the same level as astrophysics :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Capturing_the_friedmans_dvd_cover.jpg

Capturing the Friedmans - a disturbing image of suburban america disassembled for everyone to see; and the hyper reactionary community who makes true justice impossible to find. When the word "pedophile" is mentioned, is there any way to see the light? What could have been a forgettable documentary about clowns, literally turned on its head when a subject of the filmmakers movie revealed the story about how his family was torn apart. What seals the deal to make this a classic, is that during the whole process of this families trial and subsequent years of abuse, one of the sons is intensely filming every moment of family tension and arguments, creating a portrait unmatched in documentary film.

Greygardens.jpg

Grey Gardens - A story of eccentricity taken to the extreme. Big Edie and Little Edie are aunt and first cousin to Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis. They removed themselves from society, and lived in horrible conditions. Fascinating stuff.

DarkDays.jpg

Dark Days - Heartbreaking image of the moles of New York; i.e. the forgotten homeless who have made their homes in boxes and in the dark caverns of the old railways under the city. A constant fight for survival, the film is also a perfect image of a documentarian's obsession with his subject: consumed by editing his film, he actually became homeless himself in the process. A frightening, almost dystopian vision of society... only it's real.

Paradiselost_poster.jpg

Paradise Lost: The Child Murders at Robin Hood Hills - Following the trials of three boys accused of brutal ritual murder and sexual mutilation, its main characters are so plainly innocent that the hole in the justice system created almost forms a black hole of horror. The real winner is the town itself, which comes off far worse than the boys accused of this crime... a small town ruined by ignorance and fear. The biggest surprise comes when we meet Mark Byers, a stepfather of one of the victims, who does everything but turn himself into the police to admit his crimes. And yet, due to the narrow vision of the police and prosecutor this obvious suspect is all but ignored. Tragic.

Chichikov

I recently came across Car Sagan's Cosmos DVD set.
I've only watched this show as a kid, and to my surprise, it holds extremely well.
I think it might be along the lines of what the OP wanted.
(I also remember being impressed with James Burke's Connections series, but I have not seen it recently).

Ford Prefect said:
Werner Herzog's Wild Blue Yonder has some cool talk about astrophysics.
I love Herzog, but I think it's probably his weakest effort.
(Grizzly Man is a brilliant movie, but probably not what he's looking for).

Dice Man said:
Here is a really good World War II documentary - tons of footage from the era, really good stuff.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ECPFBE3SL._SS500_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]I think I've seen that before, is that the documentary that takes every side of the war? Like they have segments that focus on the American, British, German, Japanese, and Russian sides?

Edit: Yes that is it, I caught parts of it before on TV, it is really good from what I had seen.

* A New Germany 1933-39: early German and Nazi documentation of Hitler's rise to power through the impending attack on Poland
* Whirlwind: the early British losses in the blitz in the skies over Britain and in North Africa
* Stalingrad: the turning point of the war and Germany's first defeat
* Inside the Reich--Germany 1940-44: one of the most fascinating documentaries that exists on life inside Nazi Germany, from Lebensborn to the Hitler Youth
* Morning: prior to Saving Private Ryan, one of the only unromanticized views of the Normandy invasion
* Genocide: this film is one of the most widely shown introductions to the Holocaust
* Japan 1941-45: although The World at War is decidedly focused more on the European theater, this is an important look into wartime Japan and its expansion--early 20th-century history that lead to Japan's role in World War II is superficial
* The bomb: another widely shown documentary of the Manhattan Project, the Enola Gay, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki

The documentary all documentaries aspire to be: Hoop Dreams. One of my favourite movies ever, period.
186086~Hoop-Dreams-Posters.jpg

The King of Kong: my second favourite movie of 2007
kingofkongposter.jpg

Fog of War: my one recommendation that fulfills what you asked for in the OP
fog_of_war.jpg

Enron: the Smartest Guys in the Rom
enron_the_smartest_guys_in_the_room.jpg

When We Were Kings
ali.gif

Pumping Iron
Pumping_Iron_Cover.jpg

The Great Happiness Space
GHSposter.jpg

Through the Fire
B000CR7RJS.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

deadbeef

Illuminati said:
I think I've seen that before, is that the documentary that takes every side of the war? Like they have segments that focus on the American, German, Japanese, and Russian sides?

I'm only 1.5 discs in (got it for Christmas early) and there are 11 discs in all. It is a BBC documentary, but yeah, on the first couple of discs they have shown pre-war Germany, Germany invading Poland, Czechoslovakia, etc etc, Britian during the bombings, Japan at the beginning of the war, America pre-war.

Nooreo

Power Of nightmares

its has 4 parts and i only watched one because i had nightmares, but nightmares have nothing to do with the documentary its well the first part is about who inspired bin laden and stuff

SantaC

Bomb_NewYork_title.jpg

Very good documentary. Also goes indepth how Hitler's henchman Von Braun became the mastermind behind the american rocket that landed on the moon.

npm0925

The Staircase is a fascinating 6-part miniseries/documentary about a husband charged with the murder of his wife.

bjork

Another vote for King of Kong.

Ken Burns' Baseball is really good, and if you can find it, HBO had another baseball one called "When It Was A Game" that is all cool old private footage and stuff. But it helps if you like baseball.

Beyond the Mat is a semi-interesting look at late 90s wrestling, and that one Bret Hart movie is ok too.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Absinthe said:
I recommend Slasher. It's only 85 minutes and it aired on IFC a while back. It's about this car salesman--a real character, that one.

He's amazing. He's like ten Coen Bros. characters in a single human skin.

way more

Oblivion said:
I'm in a very learnin mood lately, saw this one called the 'Elegent Universe'and I wanna see more cool stuff like it. Of course, you can definitely recommend something that's not related to Astrophysics. Though I'm mainly looking for stuff that's either of that sort or Philosphy, or History related.

Suggest away, please!

speculawyer said:
What the bleep do we know?

He wanted documentaries. Not made up fantasy-land stuff.

44906-large.jpg

Dig! is good. It's about two bands that start out together. One attains commercial success while the other implodes from drugs and paranoia. Someone already posted The Great Happiness Space which is my favorite docu. Actually I can't think of a theatrically released (not pbs) documentary that I didn't like. Well I did walk out of Darwin's Nightmare but you might like it.

This links to a vid I saw as a teenager that really stuck with me.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/view/
MerchantsOfCool.JPG

They are the merchants of cool: creators and sellers of popular culture who have made teenagers the hottest consumer demographic in America. But are they simply reflecting teen desires or have they begun to manufacture those desires in a bid to secure this lucrative market? And have they gone too far in their attempts to reach the hearts--and wallets--of America's youth?

I don't know if it still holds up.

timmy

mac said:
44906-large.jpg

Dig! is good. It's about two bands that start out together. One attains commercial success while the other implodes from drugs and paranoia.
I totally second Dig!. It is my dream to someday become a spokesman for the revolution.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Spellbound: a documentary about kids who partake in spelling-bee's in USA. quirk and OCD overload.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Brobzoid said:
Spellbound: a documentary about kids who partake in spelling-bee's in USA. quirk and OCD overload.
Unless I'm thinking of another spelling bee documentary, I watched this and found it as boring as I should have expected.

Baker

Banned
demon said:
Unless I'm thinking of another spelling bee documentary, I watched this and found it as boring as I should have expected.

The documentary about the national crossword tournament ended up being pretty boring too. I can't remember the name of it now...

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
demon said:

Doubt there are that many spelling bee documentaries, but I've only seen it once and found it highly entertaining, but that could just be because I'm a hater and had a good time mocking the weird kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom