GAF Running Club |OT| - Couch to Marathons, All abilities

Gowans007 said:
It was bloody hot today tho, sweated more than ever before.
Yeah, same here in Germany (28°). Could barely keep my eyes open due to all the salty sweat. I'm used to running in heat from California, but heat + humidity = bleh.
Next time I'll wear a douchy 80s headband :D
 
Bah. Had my annual pulled calf. :/ Dunno why this always happens.

The_Inquisitor said:
Toe feels much better. Ran today and yesterday. 5K is Saturday morning. Should I still run tomorrow, or rest up thursday and friday?
I'd say rest up.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So what makes my ankles hurt the first 15 minutes of every run? They feel like glass.

I would guess shin splints, but it is more the side and back of my ankles. How can I remedy this?
 
Deadly Cyclone said:
So what makes my ankles hurt the first 15 minutes of every run? They feel like glass.

I would guess shin splints, but it is more the side and back of my ankles. How can I remedy this?
How long have you been running? What shoes do you wear?
 
The_Inquisitor said:
K. What about carb build up? Or should I even worry lol. I eat near 0 carbs in morning or at lunch. Most seem to come at dinner. >.<
5k is brief enough that you probably shouldn't worry about it.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
The_Inquisitor said:
How long have you been running? What shoes do you wear?
Only running a few weeks now. Before that I did more plyo type stuff than running. I got new shoes finally, they are the reebok zigtech shoes. They fee great on my feet at least.
 
Deadly Cyclone said:
So what makes my ankles hurt the first 15 minutes of every run? They feel like glass.

I would guess shin splints, but it is more the side and back of my ankles. How can I remedy this?
are you pushing off when you run with your ankles?

try focusing on relaxing your ankles and running from your hips
 
I've been training for a marathon this summer because I'm bored with nothing to do. Right now I'm running 20km in 1h 41m, and doing that 3 times a week. I'll change my strategy as the distances get farther, but for now it's okay.

I want to share my experience with music and running. In my first year of university I would run 5km every other day, and got my time down to 17m 30s. While running, I listened to loud music - not full blast, but loud - and after about one year passed I developed tinnitus. My ears have been ringing non-stop ever since.
It's risky to run with music because of the temptation to turn the volume up, so don't get into the habit of listening while running. I know how much better it is to have music to run with, so I know just about nobody will take this advice, but it isn't worth the tinnitus.
 
I just ran for the 20 minute block at the end of week 5. No problems (other than a little stomach cramping probably due to the waffles with nutella I had for breakfast). Feels good man.

The_Inquisitor said:
Just finished my first 5k. Melon Dash in Dallas. It was hot as hell. I finished 162nd overall (out of at least 800 people) with a 26'21". Don't think I did bad at all considering the conditions!
Hey good job! Speaking of Dallas I'm going to be there next week for work, how horrendously hot is it there? I may have to run indoors on the hotel treadmill if it's really bad.
 
Neuromancer said:
I just ran for the 20 minute block at the end of week 5. No problems (other than a little stomach cramping probably due to the waffles with nutella I had for breakfast). Feels good man.


Hey good job! Speaking of Dallas I'm going to be there next week for work, how horrendously hot is it there? I may have to run indoors on the hotel treadmill if it's really bad.
Warms up to 110 during the day. I would stick indoors. I ran at 815am and it was still hot!
 
So how long until running becomes fun? I've been at it for four days straight and doing a mile in a little under 8 minutes. I feel like I have the energy to keep going faster but I can't push myself to keep it up, if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.
 
The_Inquisitor said:
Just finished my first 5k. Melon Dash in Dallas. It was hot as hell. I finished 162nd overall (out of at least 800 people) with a 26'21". Don't think I did bad at all considering the conditions!

My Nike+ run
Congrats dude! Not a bad time at all.
 
Neuromancer said:
I just ran for the 20 minute block at the end of week 5. No problems (other than a little stomach cramping probably due to the waffles with nutella I had for breakfast). Feels good man.
Well done man, I start week 5 on Tues.
 
I'm getting into the running game just upgraded from an old beat up pair of Asics GT-2130s to a pair of Brooks adrenaline GTS 11s. Its odd after running a few days in them now my legs are kinda sore, but then again its only been 3 weeks since i started a running regiment again so it might just be fatigue.

I was wondering if anyone has tricks or tips for getting past fatigue though..I know rest is vital, but i still wanna push boundaries of how many miles i can run.
 
elitehebrew said:
I'm getting into the running game just upgraded from an old beat up pair of Asics GT-2130s to a pair of Brooks adrenaline GTS 11s. Its odd after running a few days in them now my legs are kinda sore, but then again its only been 3 weeks since i started a running regiment again so it might just be fatigue.

I was wondering if anyone has tricks or tips for getting past fatigue though..I know rest is vital, but i still wanna push boundaries of how many miles i can run.
Golden rules I follow.

1) don't increase total mileage more than 10% a week
2) reduce your weekly mileage 45-55% every 4th week to allow recovery.
3) dont run long distance more than 3 days in a row.

I broke number one last few weeks. Now I'm running with a small foot injury. Make sure you're supplementing your runs with other exercises to maximize your distance.
 
Facts:

Run 40 miles a week.
Drink too much alcohol.
Work 60 hours a week.
Getting a touch-sensitive pain on the top of my left foot. Doesn't change with the amount of pressure I put on it.

Am I tying my shoes too tight?
 
I posted a while back about my left knee (tendon most likely) and foot injury and the advice given to me by my podiatrist. I have actually continued running (though only a few times a week now... 5 - 7 km each time usually) and the pain has subsided by quite a lot since I started doing bikram yoga. I actually noticed an instant relief after my first bikram class. I have not contacted my podiatrist since then and have just been doing bikram and running; the pain is very minimal now and I do not feel any strain on my left tendon at all. I am just glad that I can continue running now, hope the pain never come back. :)
I will most likely stick with yoga since that has helped me relieve my injury.


I Push Fat Kids: I actually was having pain on top of my left foot as well. My podiatrist told me it is a mechanical problem most likely due to the fact that I have flat feet and my left leg was 1cm longer than my right. This was causing me to work my left leg / foot harder than my right which was causing the problem. I am not sure if your pain is due to the same reason though. As was said earlier, I just took bikram yoga and it has definitely helped relieve almost all my pain.
 
Leshita said:
I actually was having pain on top of my left foot as well. My podiatrist told me it is a mechanical problem most likely due to the fact that I have flat feet and my left leg was 1cm longer than my right. This was causing me to work my left leg / foot harder than my right which was causing the problem. I am not sure if your pain is due to the same reason though. As was said earlier, I just took bikram yoga and it has definitely helped relieve almost all my pain.

I left out an important-ish thing. 2.5 years ago I got in a bad wreck/nerve issue. It seemed alright abut 1.5 years ago though so I'm wondering if it could affect it now? Thanks for the input regardless. I have HI now so an appt. is due shortly... Should sort some things out :)
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
GiJoccin said:
are you pushing off when you run with your ankles?

try focusing on relaxing your ankles and running from your hips
Hmm, I'll try this. I never did run on a consistent basis until now aside from when I went to the gym and did 20 minutes on a treadmill 3 times a week back a few years ago.

Just odd that my ankles hurt like they do, makes the first 15 minutes very uncomfortable.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tough run last night. I moved last weekend so I am now lucky to be right across the street from Iowa State University's cross country course. Did my day 1 of week 4 of Couch to 5K and running in grass on hills is quite a change.

Did the whole workout, then did the last 3 minutes of running on the sidewalk back to my place and it was so much easier.
 
UGH, real life and weather have conspired to delay me in my couch to 5K training. Finally did the first session of week 5 tonight, and it felt great. I'm on track to do the 20 minute run on Sunday, which also happens to be my 29th birthday. Happy birthday to me? I'm actually kind of excited to try it.
 
Bulbo Urethral Baggins said:
...But, just want to say that I started running about 10-15 years ago and it has become my favorite hobby. It's bordering on addiction-- if not full blown addiction. It's a great natural high.
I believe it actually can be addictive (it feels like it is to me). I remember learning that your body releases endorphins (pain killers) which you become addicted to. Hence the "natural high".
 
Jugendstil said:
UGH, real life and weather have conspired to delay me in my couch to 5K training. Finally did the first session of week 5 tonight, and it felt great. I'm on track to do the 20 minute run on Sunday, which also happens to be my 29th birthday. Happy birthday to me? I'm actually kind of excited to try it.
I'm excited too, I'm gona have to go on itunes and leave that podcast a good review, it's really helped me and got me upto speed in a way that is making me enjoy it.

I'm around the same as you, day 2 of week 5 for me tomorrow night.
 

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I ran 6.5 miles for the first time last week. Felt great! Of course, I did it at a very slow pace. Otherwise, my so wouldn't be able to keep up. 1 hours and 3 minutes. Didn't know I had it in me.

Think I can do a half marathon?
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn, week 4 of Couch to 5k on a NCAA Big XII cross country course is tough as hell. I made it though, and I hate running. Program works.

I even went the longest route I could find and made one lap between my whole 25 minutes, I think the route I found was 7k. I am on the 3 minute run, 90 second walk, 5 minute run 3 minute walk (x2) week.
 
otake said:
I ran 6.5 miles for the first time last week. Felt great! Of course, I did it at a very slow pace. Otherwise, my so wouldn't be able to keep up. 1 hours and 3 minutes. Didn't know I had it in me.

Think I can do a half marathon?
Hell yeah you can!

Just don't add more than 10% to your total distance every week. On Monday, I ran 25km in exactly 2h, but I started with 15km (I was already an active runner) and I spent a month building up that extra 10km. In 1-2 months, you could definitely do a half marathon.
 
Thanks for the podcast and other resources! I'll be sure to check these out!

I have a question about this "runner's high". You see, I'm very interested in getting into running and actually sticking with it/enjoying it. I've been in average shape my entire life, did track/x-country and a variety of sports in school but was not particularly strong in them. In fact, I'd say I was among the weaker runners. I was tiny but simply had no endurance. I don't think spending my summers playing video games helped much either. As I got older I would go through workout phases, and honestly I still felt like I could not run as well/for as long as your average person. My mom started running a month or so ago and is simply hooked. She's always been in phenomenal shape, and keeps telling me about this "high" she gets. A lot of my friends/acquaintances who are hooked on running tell me about this. Honestly, in my entire life, even after running for 45 minutes straight I have never felt any kind of high. I may have felt good/accomplished, but I still considered running to be a chore.

So tell me, GAF. Can anyone attain this and if so, HOW! I want to become addicted to running!
 
Bboy AJ said:
Generally speaking, how doable is 2 miles in 13 minutes? From couch to that, is it doable with consistent work ethic?
That all depends on your body. Two 6:30 minute miles is a tough distance to keep up that pace unless you're in really good shape. My advice is that if you're serious about it, alternate days of running 3-4 miles (to get your endurance up and breathwork down), and doing sprints to start with.

A sprint day, in my mind should be something like:
Warmup
1/4 mile/1 lap run to get your legs going
4x200 (you'll only want maybe a minute maximum between, unless you're dying)
4x100 (run like hell)
4x400 (this will be the hard one)

ikkemenx said:
Thanks for the podcast and other resources! I'll be sure to check these out!

I have a question about this "runner's high". You see, I'm very interested in getting into running and actually sticking with it/enjoying it. I've been in average shape my entire life, did track/x-country and a variety of sports in school but was not particularly strong in them. In fact, I'd say I was among the weaker runners. I was tiny but simply had no endurance. I don't think spending my summers playing video games helped much either. As I got older I would go through workout phases, and honestly I still felt like I could not run as well/for as long as your average person. My mom started running a month or so ago and is simply hooked. She's always been in phenomenal shape, and keeps telling me about this "high" she gets. A lot of my friends/acquaintances who are hooked on running tell me about this. Honestly, in my entire life, even after running for 45 minutes straight I have never felt any kind of high. I may have felt good/accomplished, but I still considered running to be a chore.

So tell me, GAF. Can anyone attain this and if so, HOW! I want to become addicted to running!
For me, the runner's high is what kicks in after I've pushed myself past my 'walls'. Once my body realizes I'm in for the long haul and it's probably gonna hurt is when it starts releasing those endorphins to make me feel better. If you really want to get it, you've gotta push, and push HARD. Endorphins are released in response to stress/pain, and the only way to do that is to run 'til it burns, and then keep running.

It sounds brutal, but it's a good way to train yourself to liking running in a way. You do it enough and your lizard brain (the essential, instictive part) starts thinking 'Oh, that feels nice. I like that. Do it more.' and you start to like running (presumably).
 
excelforward said:
That all depends on your body. Two 6:30 minute miles is a tough distance to keep up that pace unless you're in really good shape. My advice is that if you're serious about it, alternate days of running 3-4 miles (to get your endurance up and breathwork down), and doing sprints to start with.

A sprint day, in my mind should be something like:
Warmup
1/4 mile/1 lap run to get your legs going
4x200 (you'll only want maybe a minute maximum between, unless you're dying)
4x100 (run like hell)
4x400 (this will be the hard one)
Thanks! Having this structure will help me a lot. I had no plan going in so I very much appreciate your advice.
 
Didn't know there was a running thread, awesome.

I got serious about it myself last summer, couldn't even do 1k nonstop initially without a break and it was a real struggle to force myself to do it, but as I improved everything got easier and now running is almost an addiction.

Now a year later and even with a lot of winter degradation I'm often doing 15k and only stopping at red lights, feels good man. What I'm working on now that I've built up my endurance is trying to increase speed and get my time down (run the same 15k route every time so it's easy to track any improvements)
 
Had my best run yet today. I definitely got a runner's high and was able to really push it the last couple of minutes. I've felt great the entire evening because of it. I'm hoping for similar results for the long run on Sunday.
 

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Jugendstil said:
Had my best run yet today. I definitely got a runner's high and was able to really push it the last couple of minutes. I've felt great the entire evening because of it. I'm hoping for similar results for the long run on Sunday.
This describes the run I just did completely. Did my last run in week 4 of couch to 5K and was able to push at the end and I feel fantastic right now.

Oh, also took some pics of ISU's Big XII cross country course where I am running now that I moved. Nice course, beautiful day too.

Here is the longest route they have. Did this Wednesday and made 1 lap in 30 minutes on my couch to 5k run/walk session.



Here are a few shots of the front part of the course.



 
Para bailar La Bomba said:
You will all bow before your 2011 NeoGaf City2Surf Champion
unless somebody bettered 66 mins.
I have never heard of this before, but Google tells me it's 14km. When the weather clears up in Ontario, I'll give it a shot.
But even if I beat your time, you'll still have your title :(
 
Despite being wretchedly hungover from my birthday party last night, I finished the 20 minute run without any problems. I'll never set a land speed record, but as someone who has never enjoyed running, it feels like an accomplishment.