• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF, take a look at the moon tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blair

Banned
walked my dog through the fields where its usually pitch black, tonight it was like a floodlight was hitting it. pretty kool.

jonremedy

CaramaC said:
Apparently the last time the moon was this close to earth was in 1993

Actually, it's this close several times each year. The only difference this time, is that it happens when it's a full moon.

Empty

just came out the clouds, not as exciting as i hoped but it does look very pretty tonight.

going to listen to the moon by the microphones in its honour.

pestul

'Moon' was my first word. I hope the extra pull doesn't have any stupid effects on the Earth's crust in the wake of what occurred in Japan. Weather network here in Canada just said that the tide will be almost one metre higher in the Bay of Fundy (some of the biggest in the world at around 8m - 17m in some places). Pretty neato.

Of course we're getting a snow storm right now.

bXkFXl.jpg

Shot w/ my Canon SX10 IS

yea i dont like the moon one bit i mean look at that stupid surface with the fancy black spots with all the cooled down lava man what hipster garbage gtfo my nightsky a-hole celestial body

ohh and you guys photographing it.. doing just what the retard wannabe planet wants :/

Zoibie

I don't know whether it's just me noticing it more because of the coverage but it did seem like it was brighter than usual these past couple of days. Can't see it tonight though.

Trike

Eh, I'll take a look at it tomorrow. Or google pictures of it. The ones inside this thread are not big enough. Except the Majora's Mask one.

-KRS-

Took this from my balcony in Malmö, Sweden. It was a little cloudy, but I think it came out alright :)

Cropped to 2390x1600

100% crop:
DSC_8758_crop.jpg

I added some contrast and sharpness with RawTherapee and then cropping and a little fine tuning in GIMP.
Shot with a Nikon D80 + Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300 @ 300mm 1/125s f/9 ISO 100 mounted on a tripod.

Edit: Ugh, on my other monitor I notice that there are small dots and shit, probably from using too much local contrast. Oh well.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
It's overcast, windy and rainy here. It sucks. Staying in tonight.

Can't see shit but it does look a little brighter outside than usual for this time of night.

Nice picture^^

joesmokey

Extollere said:
Can't see shit. It's 9pm here in Los Angeles and it's cloudy as shit.

I am disappoint.
I saw it around 8:30ish while it was still low enough, so you just missed it :(. Didn't look bigger than normal, but it was incredibly bright.

kehs

Banned
notsol337 said:
ra68w2.gif

I love perturbation!

You just gave me hardcore Blast Corps flash back, especially with Less Than Jake playing in the back that sounds like one of the Blast Corps song.

<3

Pretty high in the sky here now; looks pretty much the same as every other full moon. Maybe a touch brighter. Although it's likely that my expectations are biasing my interpretation.

My facebook news feed has been a little depressing tonight with all the people posting about how amazing the supermoon is. They probably haven't even paid attention to the damn thing since the last time there was a moon news story. Nice point of comparison you've got there.

Sometimes I wish I could just believe bullshit like supermoons and be impressed.

Whimsical Phil said:
Yeah, NASA tends to get those two things confused a lot. Caused quite a bit of trouble back in the '60s.

Anyway, if the moon is so close right now, this is our perfect chance to strike. America can, should, must, and will blow up the moon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Csj7vMKy4EI

Didn't China fire missiles at the moon a few years ago? US/Russia did it back in the 50 but it ended in a stalemate.

PortTwo said:
Yeah technically it's Luna (and the sun is Sol).

I mean the name is the Moon but since there are other moons, it seems proper to go by the older name, no?

But then we'd have to rename Monday to Lunday, month to lunth, and lunatic would actually make sense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom