• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gaf, where in the world is Hideki Naganuma?

Lijik

1999 Sega Rally 2 Championship is released. It has two composers.
One of them is Hideki Naganuma - MUSICAL GENIUS.
A year later, Jet Set Radio comes out and Hideki busts out beats so fat they make yo momma look skinny.
For the next half decade he proceeds to pump out amazing tunes in JSR's sequel and in titles such as Ollie King, Sonic Rush, and Super Monkey Ball: The One With Boss Fights.
In 2006 he contributes one track to Sega Rally 2006, and then PROMPTLY VANISHES

What the fuck is Sega doing not having him compose every game? Why are we being deprived of funky fresh new tunes? Did I wrong Sega in some way Im not aware of?
Furthermore, if he hasnt been composing for Sega, what the fuck has he been up to?

Theres a thread right now titled "What are videogames doing wrong right now?". I'd like to propose the answer to be "NOT ENOUGH NEW HIDEKI NAGANUMA SOUNDTRACKS"

Teknoman

polyh3dron said:
hi-de-ki na-ga-nu-ma-yay
na-ga-nu-ma-yay
na-ga-nu-ma-nu-ma-yay

but srsly, this thread should be about yuzo koshiro.

Man a Sonic soundtrack Naganuma/Koshiro collaboration would be the best soundtrack in the history of gaming. And if Richard Jacques joined for a few tracks...whoo.

djlr181

He's had two other credits in somewhat recent times (according to SEGA Retro).

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (2007) — Sound Special Thanks (Sound)
Super Smash Bros. Brawl (2008) — Supervisor (Original Games)

I want a new Jet Set Radio game!

Funky Dealer

I actually just heard one of his songs on a Japanese News program or something. It reminded me how much I miss Hideki Naganuma. I might just need to buy Sonic Rush just to get a dose.

Lijik

The Spoony Hou said:
I don't think I've ever heard played any game with his musics.

Oh, it seems I wasn't losing anything.
You're the coolest dude on neogaf
teach me to be as cool as you dude

He's patiently waiting for the next Jet Set game. I know I am.

The last thing I can remember him working on is Sonic Rush, so, I'm not sure what he's up to. I'd love it if he did some more work for Sonic. Absolutely loved Rush's ST, even though the game is lackluster.

24FrameDaVinci said:

This would make a great port to PSVita!

• Touch screen tagging
  • AR Graffiti
  • Rear touch, gyro grinding moves
  • Dual stick camera/controls
  • Possible Arranged JSR/JSRF Tracks

Man, I know... I gotta believe!

EDIT: Ok...
The Spoony Hou said:
I don't think I've ever heard played any game with his musics. Oh, it seems I wasn't losing anything.

Man, why post this? There's a lot of fans of Naganuma-san's music both by nostalgia and passion for good remixes so maybe not the best thread to be flippant in. Sorry you feel this way man, JSR is good stuff.

Reversed

The same question goes for Hisayoshi Ogura (although he worked for "Hello 31337" in Darius Burst).

But credits for Mr. Naganuma for making such great music in JSR.

Codeblue

I loved Sonic Rush's soundtrack. One of the very few Sonic games I actually liked.

Never thought to look up the composers name. Hope he pops up again soon.

-PXG-

The Spoony Hou said:
I don't think I've ever heard played any game with his musics.

Oh, it seems I wasn't losing anything.

I guess the music doesn't turn you on.

People who talk shit about Naganuma or JSR, watch out. Ya'll gone get stabbed.

kokujin

Banned
I hate this guy, he is not the worst, but he is definitely not as good as people make him out to be.He has had way more misses than hits.Jet Grind Radio for the most part was tolerable, but JSRF was just awful.Hideki Okugawa, now there's a Hideki I can get behind.

cj_iwakura

kokujin said:
I hate this guy, he is not the worst, but he is definitely not as good as people make him out to be.He has had way more misses than hits.Jet Grind Radio for the most part was tolerable, but JSRF was just awful.Hideki Okugawa, now there's a Hideki I can get behind.

JSRF had Concept of Love and Teknopathetic.

Azure J

This is the finest and most important question thread I've ever seen on GAF. Ever.

Naganuma needs to be let out of the basement of Sega development more often, and by more often I mean motherfucker needs to compose everything ever. :lol

-PXG-

kokujin said:
Boy, you best pray I don't know you IRL.

Karkador

Banned
The guy is a wizard with music/audio samples. I'd love to hear him do more music...or at least similar music by other artists. He also lends credence to the idea that Sega should only make soundtracks from now on, because it seems to be one of the only quality things they've kept around.

Lijik

Finaika said:
Oh. Then this thread should be renamed "Gaf, where in the world is Jun Senoue?".
Composing Sonic Generations

Karkador said:
I'd love to hear him do more music...or at least similar music by other artists.
I think you'd dig Fatboy Slim and Mint Royale if you don't already listen to them. Probably the biggest names with a similar sound in music.
Super Preacher's first album kind of struck me as a punkier version of what Naganuma does as well.

Sciz

Finaika said:
Oh. Then this thread should be renamed "Gaf, where in the world is Jun Senoue?".
Regrettably, still around in several far more prominent roles than he deserves.

Karkador

Banned
Lijik said:
I think you'd dig Fatboy Slim and Mint Royale if you don't already listen to them. Probably the biggest names with a similar sound in music.
Super Preacher's first album kind of struck me as a punkier version of what Naganuma does as well.

Thanks, those are pretty good suggestions, though they're not exactly the same. Naganuma really seems to go crazy with his craft. There must be some kind of influence point for his particular style, though. It's probably overwhelming to some people, but I love music with a lot going on in it.

Aurarian

I just recently beat JSRF and I remembered why I loved playing that game as a kid. Loved that soundtrack and still do.

Teknoman said:
Man a Sonic soundtrack Naganuma/Koshiro collaboration would be the best soundtrack in the history of gaming. And if Richard Jacques joined for a few tracks...whoo.
Yeah, you can only let Richard Jacques do a few tracks because if he composed the entire soundtrack, the universe would break from too much awesome.

Top Bottom