• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF wizards - know a 2D B&W Mac game?

Azar

Fellow Gaffers, a friend of mine wants to know the name of some game he used to play on a Mac back when we were kids. I claimed somebody here would be able to ID it. Here's his description:

Black and white 2-D game for Mac, early to mid-90's probably 80s, main character is a knight of some sort, carries a dagger, can purchase other weapons and armor from local store, no specific quest, big castle with king and queen, one room in castle leads to dungeon with different monsters (I remember a vulture-like monster, a giant scorpion, and a mermaid), can find gold around map, no sound.

I don't know how accurate all of that is (maybe it's older than that and he just played it then, maybe it has sound but he didn't have speakers) but hopefully the description is good enough for somebody to recognize it!

Don't let me down.

HUELEN10

Well, it wasn't Math Munchers.:lol

No worries, I have a bunch of old Mac CD games on me, and I THINK i have something that match your description.

So we don't waste each other's time, was it on a an optical disc or not?

Bananimus

Azar said:
Fellow Gaffers, a friend of mine wants to know the name of some game he used to play on a Mac back when we were kids. I claimed somebody here would be able to ID it. Here's his description:

Black and white 2-D game for Mac, early to mid-90's, main character is a knight of some sort, carries a dagger, can purchase other weapons and armor from local store, no specific quest, big castle with king and queen, one room in castle leads to dungeon with different monsters (I remember a vulture-like monster, a giant scorpion, and a mermaid), can find gold around map, no sound.

I don't know how accurate all of that is (maybe it's older than that and he just played it then, maybe it has sound but he didn't have speakers) but hopefully the description is good enough for somebody to recognize it!

Don't let me down.
Possible long shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkbp4wurW0

Azar

He said that looks too good. It must've been considerably older; top-down perspective with really basic animation. Thanks for the guess, though!

EDIT:
HUELEN10 said:
Well, it wasn't Math Munchers.:lol

No worries, I have a bunch of old Mac CD games on me, and I THINK i have something that match your description.

So we don't waste each other's time, was it on a an optical disc or not?

He said he thought it was a 3.5" floppy game.

Enk

makes good threads.
Dark Castle?

Dark_Castle_-_Trouble_3.png

EDIT: Just noticed how many responses were already made about Dark Castle. Didn't realize how well known this game was.

Azar

He said it seems really similar to TaskMaker, but I don't think that's it.

Because the monitor was black and white, I suppose it's possible the game could have been made in color but ran in B&W on the Macintosh Classic. That makes it a bit trickier. =\

woxel1

I remember some early Ultimas being on the Mac, and Realmz, and Yipe! and Warlords...

If only your friend was looking for Scarab of Ra, the king of
old
games!

ra.gif

ghibli99

Enk said:
EDIT: Just noticed how many responses were already made about Dark Castle. Didn't realize how well known this game was.
Heh... if you had a Mac or a friend with one back then, this was pretty much *the* game to have.

Edit: And your avatar is awesome. Some of the art in that book still creeps me out...

tempus67

Neo Member
My college campus was all mac back in the day, and there was a graphical roguelike that sounds like the description you've given. You did actually have a goal - to make it to the bottom and retrieve an orb from this evil wizard who had it. It was called the Dungeon of Doom. You can read up on it on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dungeon_Revealed

There's a screenshot as well:

250px-TheDungeonRevealedScreenshot.png

Is that it?

Burger

tempus67 said:
My college campus was all mac back in the day, and there was a graphical roguelike that sounds like the description you've given. You did actually have a goal - to make it to the bottom and retrieve an orb from this evil wizard who had it. It was called the Dungeon of Doom. You can read up on it on wikipedia:

Is that it?

I was thinking of the same thing. It was called Dungeon of Doom when I played it on the old mac classic.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
tempus67 said:

Is that it?

Dungeon Revealed and Dark Castle are both a lot of fun.

There was some game where you were hunting a vampire and I could never figure out how to beat it.

Patton Vs. Rommel, Defender of the Crown, and Art of War were a lot of fun as well.

Is there an emulator for these games?

Azar

We spent a few hours hunting for this thing last night and couldn't find it. I looked at screenshots of several Ultima games, and he seemed to think they were pretty close, but not what he played in the end.

I'll have to show him Dungeon Revealed/Dungeon of Doom. He didn't think the game had a sidebar with any statistical information, which is kind of weird because it seems like the vast majority of these old adventure/rpgs have them.

Is all that remains of the Dungeon Revealed game a shareware download? Seems kinda odd. How would one possibly even contact the right people to get the full version in this day and age?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd love if we kept this thread going after the OP inevitably finds out what game that is, just so other people can start asking what other old games are.

For instance, when I was in elementary school many moons ago, there was a PC (possibly Amiga?) game where you could essentially make a movie. You had all kinds of elements like creatures and objects and walking directions you could give to creatures, and you could set the background to a city, or a desert etc. It was in color, but I remember the graphics being pretty close to the 8-bit era, but with a little more vibrance.

This was a game my friend had on his computer, so I was never all that intimately knowledgeable about the game itself...

Fredescu

Wow, Dungeon of Doom. I played the shit out of that when I was a kid. Never finished it though. I'm not even sure I imagined there was a finish. I do remember "level 40 is death". I don't think it matches the OPs description though, no castles or anything of the sort.

I wish there were some low effort way of playing old games like that now. I'd love to play Scarab of Ra and Coup de Grace (card based car racing game) again.

Could it have been "Enchanted Scepters" or some other game made with world builder?

Of course, Dark Castle was the shit. I played the hell out of that, but never beat it.

Johnas

I instantly thought of Beyond Dark Castle when I saw the thread title (never played the original Dark Castle).

My friend had a Mac and we spent many hours dying in this game (and having a blast). It honestly has some of the most memorable sound effects of any game I've played. Decently challenging too. I have a ton of awesome memories of it.

He had Scarab of Ra as well, but I don't really remember much about it other than being a first-person dungeon crawler.

rpmurphy

Since the topic of looking for old B&W Mac games came up, I thought I'd ask for help as well (and because I can finally post lol).

It was a action puzzle game with similarities to Adventure of Lolo games -- square-ish sprite size, enemies, and top-down view. If I recall correctly, the screen wasn't fixed though; levels could scroll vertically but not horizontally. That's all I remember. I played it a few times when I was around 4 or 5 years old on a Compact Macintosh or earlier model in Japan (I have no idea if the game was Japan-only).

Any ideas?

rpmurphy

woxel1 said:
^^ I want to say The Tinies/The Furries, but I'm pretty sure that isn't right.

Nope, and I think the game is probably an older one than that.

Anyone know if there is a good online resource for listing old Mac games and possibly screenshots?

GaryD

I used to play a game at school on those shitty lunch box spec mac's. It was a bit of a Zork clone in B&W and a new image every time you move forwards. I have a feeling it starts with S though it possibly doesn't.

GaryD said:
I used to play a game at school on those shitty lunch box spec mac's. It was a bit of a Zork clone in B&W and a new image every time you move forwards. I have a feeling it starts with S though it possibly doesn't.

There was a B&W Mac version of Shadowgate... actually, it was the original version, just like Uninvited, Deja Vu, and Deja Vu II. Could possibly be that.

Top Bottom