• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFia Season 5 Review Thread | #totallynecessarygambits

Sorian

Banned
Number of player slots for the game: 20-24
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Palmer_v1, RetroMG, maybe others, I forget.
Theme: Ouro's Bastard Bomb Game
Game Category: 7/9

I'm the "maybe others, I forget"

:/

Palmer_v1

latest

Number of player slots for the game: 18?
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Burbeting, XamtheKing
Theme: Secret Invasion
Game Category: Not normal. Mildly bastard. Not anywhere close to Volcano Island, or even HP in my opinion. You can trust your Role PM. Every role (and the entire game, in fact)is taken from wiki.mafiascum.net, though some may be tweaked or modified a little.

For those who I had talked to about the marvel role madness, this is not the same game, sorry. Xamtheking is going to be primary gamerunner with me as backup.

Also, I'm not certain about main or .5, though it's PROBABLY better for .5

Ty4on

Example summary for someone subbing in Love Boat D3:

Day 1:
Start (#251)
End (#1608)
15 pairs remaining (30 players)
16 votes for majority

Role claims:

Timeaisis and FluxWaveZ (#257)
Claming role cops
When they had 0 votes into no immediate vote on anyone.
Have not flipped yet.

Blargonaut and Kawl (#343)
Claming miller and tracker
Lynched D2 and flipped as Mafia aligned trackers.
CzarTim and Never Forever mentioned having role at (#1480) and mentioned role name at (#1507)
Claiming one shot immunity for any action
When they had 9 votes into no immediate vote on anyone.
Lynched D1 and flipped as Town aligned one shot immunity for any action.

Final vote count (#1603):

(10) Never Forever and CzarTim
(6) UltraJay and BooBoo'n
(4) *Splinter and cabot

Link to all of D1's votes

Flip:
You are partnered with Never Forever/CzarTim.

You and your pair's shared role is One True Pairing. You are Aligned with LOVE (That means TOWN).

The Special Power of you two is One True Pairing. This power gives you 1-Shot-Target-Immunity. This means that you cannot be targeted by anyone for the first time someone tries to do it. Once any role has targeted you though, you will lose the immunity completely. You will be informed when the immunity is lost. If during the first time multiple roles try to target you, the immunity will block all of them.

Day 2:
Start (#1623)
End (#2879)

Night kill:
Everyone has Survived the Night!
14 pairs remaining (28 players)
1 pair dead (Never Forever and CzarTim)
15 votes for majority

Role Claims:

Timeaisis and FluxWaveZ (#1773)
Claiming ordinary
Have not flipped yet.

Karkador and Zippedpinhead (#1864)
Claiming X-shot (#1894) trackers
When they had 0 votes into them voting Blargonaut and Kawl (#1889) (#1892)
Have not flipped yet.

Blargonaut and Kawl (#1911)
Clarifying unlimited use
When they had 4 votes on them into voting Timeaisis and FluxWaveZ (#1911)
Lynched D2 and flipped as Mafia aligned trackers.

Final vote count (#2878):

(15) Blargonaut and Kawl_USC (Majority)
(10) *Splinter and cabot

Links to all of D2's votes

Flip:
You are partnered with Blargonaut/Kawl_USC.

You and your pair's shared role is Best Friends. You are Aligned with LOVELESS (That means MAFIA, by the way).

The Special Power of you two is Tracking. Every night, the two of you can track one of the other pairs, and see if they visit someone else during the night. You can do this, by sending this command PM during night phase:
Pry: Pairname

D3:
Start (#2883)
End (ongoing)

Night kill:
*Splinter/Cabot have been eliminated from the game!

You are partnered with *Splinter/cabot

You and your pair's shared role is Pair of Sleepwalkers. You are Aligned with LOVE (That means TOWN).

The Special Power of you two is sleepwalking. Every night, the two of you walk together to the boat of another random pair (how you are able to walk from one boat to another without getting completely soaked, no one knows). You will be not told, who you visit.
13 pairs remaning (26 players)
2 pairs dead (Never Forever and CzarTim - *Splinter and cabot)
13 votes are needed for majority today

Role claims:
None so far

Bronx-Man

Banned
Number of player slots for the game: 18-22
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Nobody, but I think Ourobolus could help me out with running the whole thing.
Theme: PlayStation All-Stars
Game Category: Role Madness

Number of player slots for the game: 18-22
People who have been told about, consulted, or hinted information about your set-up: Nobody, but I think Ourobolus could help me out with running the whole thing.
Theme: PlayStation All-Stars
Game Category: Role Madness
But how can you make a fake claim for a game with an established roster

Palmer_v1

But how can you make a fake claim for a game with an established roster

It's a moot point if there's no way to tell what characters would be scum anyway. Role claims are usually only needed if there's a set group of bad guys and you need good guy fake claims.

Sorian

Banned
But then who's to say what's real and what's not
You could claim any of the roster characters and be safe
Though it is role madness

That's the point. It's actually a recommended design choice for cosplay games to not necessarily use villains as the scum. I don't think that's ever been done with Gafia yet but I know Crab at least mentioned it in his game building document. Judge people based on what they are claiming to do, not the character they claim to be.

Edit: Plus voting records, behavior, etc.

That's the point. It's actually a recommended design choice for cosplay games to not necessarily use villains as the scum. I don't think that's ever been done with Gafia yet but I know Crab at least mentioned it in his game building document. Judge people based on what they are claiming to do, not the character they claim to be.

No it's not the issue of characters being good or bad based on what they are in their own universes
It's that fake claims would be hard to poke through because a fake claim about a character that is truly in Battle Royale is much harder to poke

Sorian

Banned
No it's not the issue of characters being good or bad based on what they are in their own universes
It's that fake claims would be hard to poke through because a fake claim about a character that is truly in Battle Royale is much harder to poke

It's not a real issue though. Think woof 1 and 2 or gods currently. There are no fake claims needed because the roles in the game aren't a part of any type of script, anything you can think of is fair game. In woof 2, there ended up being a CPR doc as your neutral but the existence of a CPR doc was not expected or impossible based on the design, neither were any of the other roles, they were just there.

RetroMG

Both Gafia games are a fairly good example of this. Very few of us could be argued as villains based on a role perspective. In Gafia 1, for example, if someone had roleclaimed Nin1000, my first thought wouldn't have been, "He's got to be scum."

Likewise, with Gafia 2, I expect a few people to say, "Why is that person on the scum team?" In terms of flavor, I promise that I have a reason for each of the scum to not be invited to the wedding. In terms of game design... well, someone had to be the bad guys.

Sorian

Banned
Both Gafia games are a fairly good example of this. Very few of us could be argued as villains based on a role perspective. In Gafia 1, for example, if someone had roleclaimed Nin1000, my first thought wouldn't have been, "He's got to be scum."

Likewise, with Gafia 2, I expect a few people to say, "Why is that person on the scum team?" In terms of flavor, I promise that I have a reason for each of the scum to not be invited to the wedding. In terms of game design... well, someone had to be the bad guys.

Oh true, I don't even think of Gafia games (lol at me using Gafia for the community and you using it for the games :p) as cosplay games but they totally are.

squidyj

did I accuse the bride of being scum? Is that why I'm not invited?

Coppanuva

...Maybe I don't want to be a role in this game after all :p

RetroMG

Question: How do people feel about the Discord spec chats? I like them, but I worry that they are taking away from the spec threads, and the spec chats are much harder to archive.

Thoughts?

Sorian

Banned
Question: How do people feel about the Discord spec chats? I like them, but I worry that they are taking away from the spec threads, and the spec chats are much harder to archive.

Thoughts?

I can't participate on discord when I am at work which means I hardly ever get to be in the conversations :( I'm fine with them existing but it seems like talk completely dried up on OG from the spec threads I can see.

Thoughts?

I think unless all the backup stuff is switching to discord, it's best to stick to the site under more control.

Palmer_v1

To be fair, these are also .5 games, which usually have weaker participation in even the best situations.

I'm on the opposite spectrum as well. I can't really use OG at work, while the Discord app is fine on my phone.

Kawl_USC

I think discord has been huge in creating more of a sense of community, at least for me.

I think backing things up is important for actual game threads, while spec chats I could take or leave. I think keep game related threads (scum, lovers chats, etc) on OG, and keep creating a spec thread on either that people can use.

RetroMG

If you are planning to submit a game for Season 6, (and you did not submit that game for Season 5) please PM me asap.

SkyOdin

As someone who got stuck mostly talking to myself in an Outer Gafia spec thread, I'm not a fan of the split. I haven't registered for Discord because I have no reason to use it except for spec chat, and I am somewhat disinclined to sign up for it if that is going to be the only thing I use it for. To keep things simple, I would prefer keeping things in as few locations as possible.

I do know that people have been running live Mafia games via the service though, so I do realize that there are reasons why the community has been using the service. I'll leave the decision on what to do to the veterans of the community.

*Splinter

I do prefer OG for spec threads. Discord is only better for live conversations and a separate thread doesn't *need* to be that.

I only suggest to stick with Discord because that seems to be the more popular option based on recent games.

Sorian

Banned
As someone who got stuck mostly talking to myself in an Outer Gafia spec thread, I'm not a fan of the split. I haven't registered for Discord because I have no reason to use it except for spec chat, and I am somewhat disinclined to sign up for it if that is going to be the only thing I use it for. To keep things simple, I would prefer keeping things in as few locations as possible.

I do know that people have been running live Mafia games via the service though, so I do realize that there are reasons why the community has been using the service. I'll leave the decision on what to do to the veterans of the community.

If nothing else, I will say that OG is still going to be the place for anything important game related so scum chats, masons, lovers, gossips, etc. Discord is 100% a social medium for us which spec threads kind of fall into.

Top Bottom