• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Greatest Games of All Time (Voting ends Nov. 16 11:59 P.M PST)

Scipius

falastini said:
Half Life 2 != Episode 2

Completely different games.

That's what makes Orange Box unique imo... three completely new games in one box.

Nonsense. The episodes are expansion packs and will be treated as such in the future. By your reckoning, someone could easily play HL2 and Ep2 without ever playing Ep1. While technically possible, it's clearly not the intention.

GhaleonQ

Sword Familiar said:
They are still individual games inside the collections and should be considered as such, at least imo. Besides, Mario All Stars isn't a dumb example since it had The Lost Levels in it, which, to my knowledge, wasn't released in the States prior to All Stars. Besides, Half Life 2 debuted before the Orange box, how does that make it any different from All Stars?

Oh, I agree on both counts. I was just giving a better example. Also, people were talking about about Super Mario 1-3 and World, so I should have been more specific. You're right.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
GhaleonQ said:
Oh, I agree on both counts. I was just giving a better example. Also, people were talking about about Super Mario 1-3 and World, so I should have been more specific. You're right.

Thank you :)

The misunderstanding was on my part, then.

Noshino

Scipius said:
Nonsense. The episodes are expansion packs and will be treated as such in the future. By your reckoning, someone could easily play HL2 and Ep2 without ever playing Ep1. While technically possible, it's clearly not the intention.

The main problem here is not whether we count them separately or not, the problem is that only SOME people have specified, while others haven't and now we have this unbalance, we can't count them together because often times there are many differences between them, but also there are some people that might have thought that ports/episodes/chapter/remake were going to be counted together and so didn't specify.

And yah, Orange Box should be counted separately

Arch

Noshino said:
And yah, Orange Box should be counted separately

Votes for Orange Box should be disqualified as it's a collection of games, just like Super Mario All Stars. Half Life 2 Episodes should just be pooled into Half Life 2, as they are expansion packs just like Brood War would be for Star Craft. This is the easiest way to manage all of this, seriously.

We should just count Orange Box votes as Half Life 2 for simplicity's sake, and votes for individual games (TF2, Portal etc.) seperately.

Orange Box is not a 'game' it's a compilation. If we'll count that, well, how about things like the Ultima Collection etc?

J2 Cool

So this thread went badly. Anyway, skimming through the thread, I'm going to guess Ocarina of Time won GAF's best game all-time

AAK

J2 Cool said:
So this thread went badly. Anyway, skimming through the thread, I'm going to guess Ocarina of Time won GAF's best game all-time

I think MGS might give it a run for its money.

HUELEN10

TheKingsCrown said:
Wait so the votes are still being tallied?
I think so. I PMed OP days ago for info on how he wants to categorize winners so I can finalize the banners, and who the winner is so I can make a special banner for it. He hasn't replied at all...

Alts

The discussion about scores ended a couple pages ago, but I was also really interested int hat with respect to Anihawk's GOTY threads, and sometime next week I think I'll be ready to make a thread about it.

The gist of the suggestion would be to retain the disparity between #1 and #10, but eliminate the linearity of the scale. I collected most of the data from the 2008 voting thread, stored the number of times each game showed up in each particular position, and then tested a variety of different score weights on it. Most changes don't do anything, but I think the nonlinear scale works really well.

Top Bottom