• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

bender

What time is it?
True, thought you meant the SNES ones. I tried a lot of Rare games, got Viva Pinata too, never once did anything for me. Best I can say about em is I liked the music in Killer Instinct.

I'm not their biggest fan either. DKC was mind blowing visually but I don't think it's aged all that well. Golden Eye was super fun with friends and the objectives getting more complicated as you raised the difficulty level was great design, but mechanically it's rough but I grew up with PC FPS.

Viva Pinata is rad though. I've heard nice things about Nuts and Bolts.

Most of Rare Replay is pretty meh though.

I’m with you guys that DK has never been my thing. Going to jump in and try them again with a fresh mind. Even though I didn’t like the SNES, N64, or GCN games I hear DKCR and DKTF are top tier.

Dynasty Warriors 9 is coming to Switch. 2020 is finally the year we're seeing Japanese third parties jump all in on the console (except Nagoshi, Harada and Falcolm).

Seems a little too late considering Hyrule Warriors will have cornered the market. I just don’t see most Switch players playing multiple musou games. And if they do, it will be the two Zelda ones. Glad to have the support though.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

That’s the current state of my hand after getting to half way through world 3 of 3D World. This 3DS is not good for my hands!

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Its amazing how much better the switch feels to me than the 3ds. The lite feels even better for handheld.

Not tried the lite - I wanted the full fat version because I wanted the flexibility and was wary of joycon drift, but yeah the Switch never cramps up my hands.

The other thing with the 3DS - the 3D effect really is cool and for 3D Land it’s absolutely amazing but it’s such a pain having to hold it in the sweet spot (no idea whether the newer versions are better). That gets even more annoying when the canon uses motion control to aim. What were they thinking? Thankfully the stick works too but why would you even bother having motion control on a system where you can’t move the screen relative to your head.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Not tried the lite - I wanted the full fat version because I wanted the flexibility and was wary of joycon drift, but yeah the Switch never cramps up my hands.

The other thing with the 3DS - the 3D effect really is cool and for 3D Land it’s absolutely amazing but it’s such a pain having to hold it in the sweet spot (no idea whether the newer versions are better). That gets even more annoying when the canon uses motion control to aim. What were they thinking? Thankfully the stick works too but why would you even bother having motion control on a system where you can’t move the screen relative to your head.

Yeah there are some features I miss on the lite specifically the HD rumble. I use it primarily for my to go back and forth switch or to use in bed. The fat version switch gets the most usage though.

gtrwll

I played the hell out of the DKC trilogy when I was a kid, but I didn’t find DCKR that good when it came out...never got around to Tropical Freeze, but maybe I should give it a try.

locoghoul

Neo Member
Still not up in Canada, I cant find it either Amazon or EBgames, but thank you for keeping me updated.
Walmart is your best bet not EBgames. Last time I checked preorders will be shipped Sept 28th for EBgames while Walmart Canada had plenty of physical games on release date

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah there are some features I miss on the lite specifically the HD rumble. I use it primarily for my to go back and forth switch or to use in bed. The fat version switch gets the most usage though.

Am I weird for using the Switch in bed? It’s super-comfy. Certainly better than the ergonomic nightmare that is the 3DS. The new XL looks closer to the Switch in some ways so I presume it’s more comfortable.

That’s the current state of my hand after getting to half way through world 3 of 3D World. This 3DS is not good for my hands!

I bought this grip for my N3DSXL and haven’t looked back. Not sure how anyone can play anything that uses the circle pad without it. It was like $40 and totally worth it, but looks like it has gone up in price. There might be similar things for your 3DS that are cheaper, it’s totally worth it not to have your hands suffer.

JimiNutz

Banned
Nah, they're just kinda mediocre. But then again, Rareware games have always been mediocre.
tenor.gif

This sweet summer child definitely didn't play GoldenEye or Perfect Dark multiplayer.
Probably didn't play Diddy Kong Racing either.

So are any of you guys going to get a PS5 or XsX ?
With preorders being so insanely hard to get I was willing to wait it out and have always said I don’t need one launch day and pretty much still feel this way.
So Nintendbros what next gen console are you guys planning of buying ?

Going into the year my plan was to buy a PS5, but I really don't know anymore. I'll reevaluate things when the PS5/XSX have been out a few months and decide then if I want one or if I should put the money towards a new PC instead. Way too busy with the Switch and MiSTer FPGA right now anyway.

I played the hell out of the DKC trilogy when I was a kid, but I didn’t find DCKR that good when it came out...never got around to Tropical Freeze, but maybe I should give it a try.

As great as the original DKC trilogy games are, Tropical Freeze tops them. At first it doesn't feel all that special and there is a small learning curve for the controls, but later in the game every level feels so unique and the music is the best work DW has ever done. I wish it was more popular because I'd love to see a third title.

Jooxed

Gold Member
So are any of you guys going to get a PS5 or XsX ?
With preorders being so insanely hard to get I was willing to wait it out and have always said I don’t need one launch day and pretty much still feel this way.
So Nintendbros what next gen console are you guys planning of buying ?

I will probably get a PS5 just to play FFXVI :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Jooxed

Gold Member
jshackles jshackles Saw you mention Pyre in another thread. Hades is my first supergiant game and Im loving it. What am I missing not playing Bastion and Transistor? Are they worth the pickup?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles jshackles Saw you mention Pyre in another thread. Hades is my first supergiant game and Im loving it. What am I missing not playing Bastion and Transistor? Are they worth the pickup?
Both are great games! Bastion is a more traditional action RPG where you obtain new weapons and powerups that allow you to take on increasingly more difficult challenges. But it has a beginning, middle, and end. The music (like Hades) is phenomenal and (also like Hades) the game is known for it's seemingly procedurally generated voice acting. For example, you can smash up a bunch of barrels and the narrator will say something like "the kid just kept smashing barrels, I'm not sure what exactly he was looking for." This kind of stuff was mind-blowing back when the game first released in 2011 - like, the game obviously wouldn't have said that if you didn't do the thing, but they obviously also recorded the voice actor saying those lines in case you did. Bastion's got a lot of surprising moments like that, it's kind of the game's claim to fame.

Transistor is also an action RPG but kind of turns turn-based. Think more like Fallout 3's VATS system - you can queue up multiple moves to execute in succession - and the higher you level up particular moves the more interesting ways they can interact with each other. Or you can skip that part all together and just button mash, but you're going to run into issues unless you're amazingly good.

However, the story of both of these games (although excellent) is nowhere near as rich as that of Hades. There are very few character interactions and the stories themselves are more of a "show don't tell" nature, especially Transistor. Not to say they're bad, just that Bastion only has (I believe) a total of four characters and all but one of them play a really minor part in the story. Transistor has like... two characters... kinda... but really just one. Meanwhile in Hades you have a huge cast of characters (30 or so!) that all have really unique personalities and traits. But - don't let that dissuade you, because both of their earliest games are also really great. They also regularly go on sale on the Switch for like 80% or 90% off.

This sweet summer child definitely didn't play GoldenEye or Perfect Dark multiplayer.
Probably didn't play Diddy Kong Racing either.

I did actually, played all of them. Had half the house full when I was a kid playing 4 screen multiplayer. Played everything from DKC on the SNES up to Conker's Bad Furday on the N64 and I'll still say: these games don't hold up and when you really look at them from a gameplay perspective they're pretty mediocre.

Jooxed

Gold Member
Both are great games! Bastion is a more traditional action RPG where you obtain new weapons and powerups that allow you to take on increasingly more difficult challenges. But it has a beginning, middle, and end. The music (like Hades) is phenomenal and (also like Hades) the game is known for it's seemingly procedurally generated voice acting. For example, you can smash up a bunch of barrels and the narrator will say something like "the kid just kept smashing barrels, I'm not sure what exactly he was looking for." This kind of stuff was mind-blowing back when the game first released in 2011 - like, the game obviously wouldn't have said that if you didn't do the thing, but they obviously also recorded the voice actor saying those lines in case you did. Bastion's got a lot of surprising moments like that, it's kind of the game's claim to fame.

Transistor is also an action RPG but kind of turns turn-based. Think more like Fallout 3's VATS system - you can queue up multiple moves to execute in succession - and the higher you level up particular moves the more interesting ways they can interact with each other. Or you can skip that part all together and just button mash, but you're going to run into issues unless you're amazingly good.

However, the story of both of these games (although excellent) is nowhere near as rich as that of Hades. There are very few character interactions and the stories themselves are more of a "show don't tell" nature, especially Transistor. Not to say they're bad, just that Bastion only has (I believe) a total of four characters and all but one of them play a really minor part in the story. Transistor has like... two characters... kinda... but really just one. Meanwhile in Hades you have a huge cast of characters (30 or so!) that all have really unique personalities and traits. But - don't let that dissuade you, because both of their earliest games are also really great. They also regularly go on sale on the Switch for like 80% or 90% off.

Thank you for the thought out answer! Both wish listed and Ill bran them when they go on sale.

JimiNutz

Banned
I did actually, played all of them. Had half the house full when I was a kid playing 4 screen multiplayer. Played everything from DKC on the SNES up to Conker's Bad Furday on the N64 and I'll still say: these games don't hold up and when you really look at them from a gameplay perspective they're pretty mediocre.

There is no other console FPS that had multiplayer as good as GoldenEye or Perfect Dark from 1997-2000. Best in class for its era.

DKC1-3 still hold up well today (especially DKC2) and were the best looking and playing 2D platformers at the time - best in class.

Rare in their prime were not mediocre.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I got Transistor for free a while back and hated the talking sword.

-Arcadia-

Banned
As a general rule of thumb, Gaf search kind of struggles with OTs. Doing a regular search on one of the search engines with Neogaf + the OT you’re looking for, is a lot quicker and easier.

Last edited:
I just remembered that I still haven't bought Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive yet. And it's finally the time of year where it's dark outside long enough that I can just veg out and play video games, and my major work-related timesink is more or less out of the way. I guess I might finally have to embark sooner rather than later.

That game price point got UPSCALED to 300 BR bucks, I'm going to wait for a sale. Everything has a limit.

Fuck yeah.

I was saying a few pages back that I want more fun Mario sports games. It doesn't have to be Mario though, I'd be down for any arcade like sports games.

Wave Race would be sweet.

I don't even care for something new, just re-release Blue Storm emulated at 1080p widescreen like they did with Sunshine and Galaxy. I'd be all over that and be prepared buy it at a hiiigh price.

I honestly don't know how much of a market there'd be for the likes of WaveRace, 1080, F-Zero etc... As much as I'd love a sequel to all three, emulated ports of the old games would be more than satisfactory.

Top Bottom