• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF's Nintendo Discussion, News, and Speculation |OT|

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
With Switch dominating hardware sales for past two years, new consoles coming out from Microsoft + Sony, a lighter Christmas line up, BOTW 2/Mainline 3D Mario on the horizon, and a potential hardware refresh it seems like it would be a great time to think about introducing the inevitable Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects line up for Switch.

BOTW, Arms, Splatoon 2, Kirby, Donkey Kong are all good candidates for that program. Would like to see some price drops on smaller titles I never bothered to pick up like Pokken Tournament or Mario Tennis.

Last edited:
With Switch dominating hardware sales for past two years, new consoles coming out from Microsoft + Sony, a lighter Christmas line up, BOTW 2/Mainline 3D Mario on the horizon, and a potential hardware refresh it seems like it would be a great time to think about introducing the inevitable Player's Choice/Nintendo Selects line up for Switch.

BOTW, Arms, Splatoon 2, Kirby, Donkey Kong are all good candidates for that program. Would like to see some price drops on smaller titles I never bothered to pick up like Pokken Tournament or Mario Tennis.

There's a few games that appear to OOP that would work well at a discounted price - Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Hyrule Warriors DE, Arms, and Disgaea 5 (not Nintendo).

Chastten

Banned
It's the one thing I hate about digital. It makes older physical games much harder to get as there is no need to reprint them.

I only got the Switch in late 2018 and I have been playing catch up ever since. Nintendo's own games stay up in price so those will mostly remain easy to obtain, but 3th party stuff and especially niche Japanese games can be a bitch to find new. Just ordered Nights of Azure 2 and Tales of Vesperia and both are only sold by a few online retailers anymore. And I doubt any publisher will even consider reprints when they can just discount the digital version and call it a day.

Mister looks interesting but I'm never entirely sure where to start - any pointers on a good idiot's guide?

You need:
DE10-Nano - https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=1046
USB Hub - https://misteraddons.com/products/usb-hub-v2-1
SDRAM - https://misteraddons.com/products/sdram-xsd-2-5-128mb

I have the IO board and it really isn't necessary unless you plan to output to a CRT. Otherwise it's good because you get a fan and it makes it easier to reset it.

Setup Guide:

SD Card setup guide:

There's also the pre-built route which costs a little extra over assembling yourself:

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
You need:
DE10-Nano - https://www.terasic.com.tw/cgi-bin/page/archive.pl?Language=English&No=1046
USB Hub - https://misteraddons.com/products/usb-hub-v2-1
SDRAM - https://misteraddons.com/products/sdram-xsd-2-5-128mb

I have the IO board and it really isn't necessary unless you plan to output to a CRT. Otherwise it's good because you get a fan and it makes it easier to reset it.

Setup Guide:

SD Card setup guide:

There's also the pre-built route which costs a little extra over assembling yourself:

Cheers I'll dig into that tonight.

Humdinger

Some nice Nintendo vibes in this thread, if you missed it:

Also, please vote in my Nintendo poll, if you haven't already:

JimiNutz

Banned
I’ve never played a single Pokémon game. It’s kind of like Power Rangers. I always felt that I was too old for it at the time and could never change my mentality.

This is the same for me.
I was just a little bit too old for Pokémon when it first came out.

I was considering picking up sword or shield to see if I could get into it but watching gameplay did absolutely nothing for me and I thought the game was kind of ugly.

I might try the new Pokémon Snap though as the gameplay in that looks like it could be kind of fun.

I like FPGA, but I’m not handy enough to build something myself. I am one of those people who overpay for the out of the box ready Analogue products. My nt mini noir should be arriving next month.

I thought it would be difficult to set up, but it was pretty straight forward. I was on the fence for a while, but I finally bought in late last year when the Sega CD and GBA cores released at basically the same time. Everything just looks and plays so well.

The Noir is a collectors piece and super slick looking, but sadly out of my price range. My first jump into Analogue products will be when I'm finally able to preorder the Pocket.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Is it really? I feel like I might have missed out here.
1491e3842e84f9ae5f63d0e4f56194a6e23604be_hq.jpg

Do not believe his lies!

ExpandKong

Banned
Is it really? I feel like I might have missed out here.

It's quite a bit better than Fates in most regards (besides maybe sheer amount of content, if you count all three paths in Fates), but that probably isn't saying much since Fates is more or less reviled by most people.

I want to be able to get a left and right regular blue pair, when will they do that? Those DQ ones were beautiful.

They were selling them for a while, but it's hard to find them new now. I had a pair on my first Switch that I traded in with it when I got the better battery model.

It's quite a bit better than Fates in most regards (besides maybe sheer amount of content, if you count all three paths in Fates), but that probably isn't saying much since Fates is more or less reviled by most people.

They were selling them for a while, but it's hard to find them new now. I had a pair on my first Switch that I traded in with it when I got the better battery model.

Thanks, but those are neon blue. I’m talking like these.

dqswitch.original.png

Humdinger

Continuing to enjoy BotW. I've had to put time limits on myself, because otherwise I get carried away and spend too much of my day playing games, then regret it. Haven't had to do that in years, so that's a testament to the game.

I've gotten accustomed to the shrines now. Some of them bugged me at first, but it usually takes me a while before I start to understand the way any games' puzzle logic works, i.e., the way the designers' minds think. Now I've got that, and I'm breezing through them (well, not breezing, but I don't get stumped as much).

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
The Fire Emblem release sparked another debate on digital games only being made available for a limited time. Nintendo's strategy for anniversary type titles has always been to make them limited for as long as I can remember-Zelda: Ocarina of Time/Master Quest, Zelda: Collector's Edition, Mario All Stars for Wii, and Kirby Dream Collection. They've mirrored this with their approach to digital releases with Four Swords Anniversary, Mario 3D All Stars, Mario 35, and now Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon.

While I would prefer that Nintendo keep games digital games around it doesn't sour me on the brand. Crazy how upset people get over it though. Hopefully Nintendo will make these games available later in a different model. I especially think Mario 35 would be great to keep around.

At least you can buy physical anniversary releases 2nd hand. You can’t really do that with digital unless you buy the console and it hasn’t been wiped.

I think Mario 35 should stay and incorporate other 2D Mario games. How cool would it be to mix SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW levels in a battle?

Actually, they could also do that with like an NES Remix (which everyone seems to have forgotten exists at all) but then in this sort of online battle style.

Evangelion Unit-01

Master Chief
At least you can buy physical anniversary releases 2nd hand. You can’t really do that with digital unless you buy the console and it hasn’t been wiped.

I think Mario 35 should stay and incorporate other 2D Mario games. How cool would it be to mix SMB, SMB2, SMB3, SMW levels in a battle?
Fair point. I remember missing Four Swords Anniversary and there really isn’t an option other than buying a used console with the game installed.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, 3DS is easy enough to softmod nowadays I'm sure FSA can be found and installed in a piratey sort of way.

Actually, I'll check on that when I get home today, I'm sure I've seen it floating around somewhere.

Yeah that’s probably the more sensible route. I still haven’t got round to doing it to my wife’s one - I’d feel terrible if I broke it even though she doesn’t use it anymore.

In other news I’ve finally given Mario + Rabbids a bit more of a proper go and I’m actually having a lot of fun. I’ve always struggled with these kind of games, tended to bounce off them, but something about this one is drawing me in. The presentation probably helps of course, as well as the sense of humour and the clarity that art style affords.

locoghoul

Neo Member
MK11 is like almost 20 bucks at my walmart. Ive heard bad stuff about it but im kinda sold on John Rambo DLC character. The only thing that Im concerned is the apparently huge update (20 Gb or so) you have to make. How do 2 SD cards work on the Switch? Am I crazy for buying this game?

Jooxed

Gold Member
MK11 is like almost 20 bucks at my walmart. Ive heard bad stuff about it but im kinda sold on John Rambo DLC character. The only thing that Im concerned is the apparently huge update (20 Gb or so) you have to make. How do 2 SD cards work on the Switch? Am I crazy for buying this game?

it runs pretty well on the switch, the menus are inexplicably blurry andand the intros are 30fps and ugly but the actual fighting looks great and is 60fps. No regrets with my purchase

I have a 1 tb card so not sure on your other question. It’s probably the biggest game I have.

FOXoR2c.jpg

sorry GAF flipped the picture

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
it runs pretty well on the switch, the menus are inexplicably blurry andand the intros are 30fps and ugly but the actual fighting looks great and is 60fps. No regrets with my purchase

I have a 1 tb card so not sure on your other question. It’s probably the biggest game I have.

FOXoR2c.jpg

soundbar
Bruh...

DESTROYA

FOXoR2c.jpg

Neat terrarium.

FOXoR2c.jpg

Did you get that “TV stand” at IKEA? I think I have the same one.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

FOXoR2c.jpg

I fucked Jooxed so hard his whole house went horizontal.

Top Bottom