• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAFS Thoughts Part 1 : Hack and Slash Genre

e7c38315867b352af4289d522ff78a9b-650-80.jpg

Small Bit of History:

Looking back into history, Hack and Slash is a term which finds its roots in the old “pen and paper” RPGs like Dungeons & Dragons. It was used initially to describe the campaign players would be involved in, which as the name describes it to be, one with minimal to no story but tons of battles to be in. The earliest quote of this can be found in a D&D Dragon Magazine article from the 1980’s, by editors, Jean Wells and Kim Mohan.

Later on, the term hack and slash transitioned from tabletop games to video games, since many of the earlier video games had visuals and game play styles similar to D&D games. The term was often coined to reference early 2D beat-em-up’s that included optional weapons in them, as well as action games such as Golden Axe and Final Fight. Bear in mind, that beat-em-up games were games where the player's characters only used martial arts with fists or kicks like in River City Ransom

The most popular and well known H&S games of our times (In no particular order)

Devil May Cry
c_DmC-Devil-May-Cry_notizia.jpg

God of War
gow-iii-banner.jpg

Ninja Gaiden
ninjagaiden3302965_hires_crop.jpg

Bayonetta
banner_1655.jpg

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Rising-Banner.png

Diablo
358761iC155A16CB376C578

Post here anything about the Hack and Slash Genre, your likes or dislikes. Cool experiences you've had etc.

I've always loved them, but It's hard to find them bareable these days. As I'm getting older I find it hard to delve into a game without a good story, so most hack and slash games kinda bore me pretty quickly.

I'm really hoping the new God of War holds up though.

My only experience with this genre include God of War I and II and a PS2 game with a red haired protagonist, I can't remember what it's called. Capcom might have made it. Wait, I think EOE might be one too.

I really like the two God of War games. I never got to finish that PS2 game because it was a rental and I liked EOE despite it having camera issues. The combat wasn't as smooth as GoW, but still enjoyable and I remember the lead protagonist had his girlfriend trapped in his lightsaber which I thought was crazy.

RexNovis

Banned
The only game on the example list in the OP that I would call hack and slash is Diablo 3. Most of the rest are either action RPGs or a Stylish Action RPGs.

To me when I think of hack and slash games I think of
  • Gauntlet: Dark Legacy,
  • Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance,
  • Champions of Norrath
  • Diablo 2

etc etc.

Which is why many of the games in the op do not really classify as "hack and slash" games imo as they are a drastic departure from the games I associate with the genre.

I sorely miss the style of game I listed above and regularly pine for their return to relevance. I feel the same way about brawler RPGs like X-Men Legends and Marvel Ultimate Alliance. For whatever reason they have become non existant in the console market. I really wish they would make a comeback as they have long been my absolute favorite style of games.

AAK

DMC1 is the software which turned gaming into my most passionate hobby. Hence character action games are really special to me.

Platinum Games are in a league of their own. The talent who made games like DMC1 possible are probably carrying their talents onto Platinum.

Thewonandonly

I love a good hack and slash. God of war is one of my favorite series ever. The main thing I want from this genre though is that it's epic as hell. Give me giant boss battles that blow my mind, make it a spectacle. Case example for this is chronos in GOW 3. This Boss is the definition of fucking epic. When he picks you up and your just the size of a quarter of his fingernail, but you manage to take down the Titan.

Then you have the vary begging of this game whitch is just as epic. When you take down posiden while riding on Gia (I think). The hourse thing is attacking and you got to destroy but the whole time your seeing god's facing off against Titans. Then at the end when you just burst threw the horse and fuck up posiden

God that game is incredible.

love platinum. Playing No more heroes 2 right now and missing the tightness of P*

Bayonetta series is absolutley holy. Seems bayo 2 sold less than 1m so heres hoping a miracle brings bayo3

wapplew

Is it save to assume 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim will be a hack and slash with mecha?
Dragon's Crown is D&D arcade in HD.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I was replaying DMC1 a while ago and I noticed that even though it didn't have the technical depth of the later games, it had an immense amount of mechanical depth to every single encounter.

There are sooo many ways to approach every fight, so many solutions to every fight, every single little design decision in that game is made with so much care...except the camera, that one was a bit of a fuck up.

Seriously though, the game really encourages you to learn the encounters and how to use the tools available to you to get through the higher difficulties, which are incredibly well balanced.

Top Bottom