• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Center CX localized as "Retro Game Challenge"--it's a parody of your childhood.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
sp0rsk said:
Retro Game Challenge is the worst fucking name ever.

Why not just call it "Translated Japanese Video Game."
Or "Massive Action Game."

The title probably comes from the official US name of the show, blame them, not XSEED.

jay

Maybe when I buy it again I'll get past the RPG portion since it'll be in a language I can read.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
Sho Nuff said:
Too bad there's not enough budget to localize this the awesome way, with American style living rooms and parodying GamePro and EGM2 and stuff :(
I think the magazines will come out okay. There are some differences between US and Japanese rags but there's a lot more similarities. At the very least, they should change the Famicom stuff into NES stuff (console and carts, I mean).

Yaweee

Princess Skittles said:
I think the magazines will come out okay. There are some differences between US and Japanese rags but there's a lot more similarities. At the very least, they should change the Famicom stuff into NES stuff (console and carts, I mean).

You should be forced to blow into the microphone to start a game. :D

biocat

I beat this game a while back. It was honestly the most fun I had with my DS in a long time. So much nostalgia wrapped up in there.

I hope the localization is decent because a lot of the appeal actually comes from the parts in-between the games.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
sp0rsk said:
Retro Game Master?

What is wrong with these people, do they even watch the show? Arino sucks at games.
better an ironic name than a straight-up derisive one.

mollipen

Yet another of the countless reasons to love the DS. When the Wii, PS3, and/or 360 disappoints you, the good old DS is there to comfort you once again. (And again, thanks to Rhythm Heaven.)

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
sp0rsk said:
Why not just call it "Translated Japanese Video Game."

I'm so surprised and elated that this is getting a North American release that any quibbles with the title seem irrelevant to me.

shidoshi said:
Yet another of the countless reasons to love the DS. When the Wii, PS3, and/or 360 disappoints you, the good old DS is there to comfort you once again. (And again, thanks to Rhythm Heaven.)

Heck yes. While I don't like the direction that any of the console makers want to take gaming, at least the DS caters to my niche tastes. :D

Sho Nuff said:
That looks just like my room as a kid!

Oh wait.

Too bad there's not enough budget to localize this the awesome way, with American style living rooms and parodying GamePro and EGM2 and stuff :(

Blow into the mic to blow into the game would be rad. They could even make you hold down select and push the game down in the NES for 3 seconds before powering it on, then slowly raising off reset, then the game.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
There's like some (coincidental?) ripoff of this for cell phones in Japan that does feature virtual cart-blowing, but I think it's just a button or automatic.

Gwanatu T

shidoshi said:
Oh shit... that's, like, one of the best ideas EVER.

I wouldn't be surprised given what I just read in the OP. What an awsome idea for a game, I love it! Day 1 (When is this coming out?)!

nny

oh, I love the show, was curious about the game, localization is great news. The DVDs were rumored to be coming too, that would be perfect!

Yaweee

MisterHero said:
That's awesome. 9-volt always made me want more mini-games like these. :D

But they aren't mini-games! One of the levels is seven-hour RPG, and all of the other games are the lengths you'd expect for an NES game of their respective genre (perhaps a little bit shorter, from what I hear). (Not positive, but I know they transcend mini-game length, at the very least.)

-----

What does the "CX" stand for in the original title?

MisterHero

Yaweee said:
But they aren't mini-games! One of the levels is seven-hour RPG, and all of the other games are the lengths you'd expect for an NES game of their respective genre (perhaps a little bit shorter, from what I hear).
Oh wow! That's even better. :D

Yaweee said:
But they aren't mini-games! One of the levels is seven-hour RPG, and all of the other games are the lengths you'd expect for an NES game of their respective genre (perhaps a little bit shorter, from what I hear). (Not positive, but I know they transcend mini-game length, at the very least.)
DAY
FUCKING
ONE
!!!!

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
It is basically eight brand new NES games, spanning from the Galaxian clones of the early years to Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden styles games as you move through the game's virtual timeline. Each new game you get evolves as NES games evolved through the system's lifetime in real life.

Princess Skittles said:
It is basically eight brand new NES games, spanning from the Galaxian clones of the early years to Dragon Quest and Ninja Gaiden styles games as you move through the game's virtual timeline. Each new game you get evolves as NES games evolved through the system's lifetime in real life.
I said it before and I'll say it again:

DAY
FUCKING
ONE
!!!!

FightyF

Banned
Never thought this would be localized!

Saw it on the 1Up Show and it looked awesome.

I hope this sells well...considering this is probably categorized as one of those "games that no one wants to play". ;)

Top Bottom